As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fellhand wrote: »
    I just made a quantum artifact.......cup.

102k value though.

I've actually had an artifact sock. Just the one.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had a cave spider chitin toga once. It had incredible value too. If only I had a notice like this:

Momuz Zuglarcerol organizes a toga party by the orthoclase well.

That would have been so epic.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Sooooo guys.

Thanks to this thread - mostly Oilfurnace though - it's time to install DF again. This time I have a great PC though and will be able to run the hugest fortress. :)

But the last I played was the release before the medical-patch, I was kind of afraid that it would get overly complicated with the latest version. What do you think?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Sooooo guys.

Thanks to this thread - mostly Oilfurnace though - it's time to install DF again. This time I have a great PC though and will be able to run the hugest fortress. :)

But the last I played was the release before the medical-patch, I was kind of afraid that it would get overly complicated with the latest version. What do you think?

hospital isn't too hard to figure out, the only crappy thing is the bug with making casts which still has not been fixed, the other thing that will make you cry is the military menus now. Its definitely overly complicated for what it can do

but i always recommend playing dwarf fortress, little things like that shouldn't stop you from having *fun*

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'll go with the newest then.

Just so I don't get surprised; it is impossible to make casts or what?

Honk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am downloading the latest Mayday actually, after finding it in the OP. Love me some Mayday.

Honk on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am downloading the latest Mayday actually, after finding it in the OP. Love me some Mayday.

I thought it was crutches that were broken.
    Basically, the new medical system is just a way to have a use for soap and a chance to not have a dwarf die, but mine always seem to become crippled from nerve damage to the legs or feet and be bedridden for life.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The cast problem is that Doctors will grab a bucket to fetch some water to mix with gypsum powder and make a cast. The problem is when they get to the water source, they just sit there and eventually starve to death.

A workaround is to forbid all buckets, unforbid one and wait until it gets filled (e.g. to give to another patient or to fill a pond), forbid the filled bucket to cancel the job, then unforbid it and wait for the apply cast job to start again.

I haven't bothered with this, instead, I just assign an amateur diagnostician/bone doctor to work on the patient, which inevitably kills the patient due to an infection. Yay disease!

EDIT: Did I say Amateur? I meant dabbling. I have my cheesemaker play doctor for a day. :twisted:

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh my that's some quite nasty health-care, DisruptedCapitalist! :O

Honk on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thankfully you don't actually need any casts at all. By not keeping any gypsum powder around you can avoid the bug. Broken bones can be immobilized instead with splints, which can be made from anything that isn't stone.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    Thankfully you don't actually need any casts at all. By not keeping any gypsum powder around you can avoid the bug. Broken bones can be immobilized instead with splints, which can be made from anything that isn't stone.

Make splints for broken bones - out of bones? :shock:

Honk on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In my fortress hospitals every patient gets a private room.

Otherwise the magma would take out the productive ones too.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isteratast "The Undignified Bravery", a pig iron door.

This is a pig iron door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pig iron.

From a possessed dwarf; thanks a lot you talentless bum.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually, mildly useful. It might be relatively shitty value wise and a "waste" of pig iron, but if you put it in a room it'll cause that room's score to skyrocket.

It's shit like artifact clothes and jewelry that I hate.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm in year two now and so far have only built a barrack, and mason- and carpenter workshops.

Because I always get to the most urgent things first - which is why everybody has been busy building the multi level cathedral-esque throne room.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Joeslop wrote: »
    Isteratast "The Undignified Bravery", a pig iron door.

This is a pig iron door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pig iron.

From a possessed dwarf; thanks a lot you talentless bum.

Actually I figured out a way to avoid this. Generally when a dwarf gets a fey mood/posessed, they seek out a TYPE of material instead of a specific material. This way, once they seize a workshop you can safely guess what kind of material they want and forbid anything that has no value.

This was how my dwarves made a giant cave spider chitin toga once. I saw my leatherworker get a fey mood and grab some groundhog leather and drag it to the shop. While he ran off to get some precious stones, I used that time to forbid all cheap leather. When he came back with the stones and saw that the groundhog leather was forbidden he went back out and grabbed the chitin.

EDIT: According to the wiki, chitin cannot be used in the current version. A pity...

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    KaennethKaenneth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I kinda wish that Toady would stop doing any UI development...

Just provide a programmable interface to let other programmers write the UI code to set designations and render the view. People are doing that anyway with direct memory scraping. He can then focus on the detailed world simulation he's obsessed with.

Also, I've been thinking of trying to write a DF-style water/magma flow simulator using GPU shaders; but that's just for my own entertainment.

Kaenneth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Turns out my game didn't save so the possessed Dwarf instead made a pig iron sarcophagus. Guess he'll have a nice tomb at least!

Joeslop on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My militia commander just punched a werewolf so hard he jammed its skull through its brain.

DF, how I love thee...

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't see how that even works,

which makes it even cooler.

Honk on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The cast problem is that Doctors will grab a bucket to fetch some water to mix with gypsum powder and make a cast. The problem is when they get to the water source, they just sit there and eventually starve to death.

A workaround is to forbid all buckets, unforbid one and wait until it gets filled (e.g. to give to another patient or to fill a pond), forbid the filled bucket to cancel the job, then unforbid it and wait for the apply cast job to start again.

I haven't bothered with this, instead, I just assign an amateur diagnostician/bone doctor to work on the patient, which inevitably kills the patient due to an infection. Yay disease!

EDIT: Did I say Amateur? I meant dabbling. I have my cheesemaker play doctor for a day. :twisted:

Well, they do say infected wounds smell like cheese. Who better to tell than a cheesemaker?

President Rex on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

pretty simply, breaking off bone shards that then shred the brain

happens a lot actually

if your fist happens to have the pounds per square inch of a trash compactor

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dkarrde wrote: »

pretty simply, breaking off bone shards that then shred the brain

happens a lot actually

if your fist happens to have the pounds per square inch of a trash compactor
    Alternatively, I visualized that as being a case of the punch literily blowing the skull out of the thing's head and cleaving/straining the brain through the eye and nasal sockets in the process.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had a danger room once where a dwarf was training, stubbed his toe, bruised his arm, got stunned, bruised his leg, fell unconscious, skull through the brain.

Danger Rooms are dangerous. Even if there is only training spears.

Readying the combat log is the most fun part of this game.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Could anyone clarify if there is anything I need to turn on to have DF use my GPU in the current release?
    I remember back in 40d it was some guy and a side project but if I'm not mistaken I was told by someone it is just in the standard release now.

I'm also pretty sure I was delirious and tricked myself into thinking that someone had made a plugin or something where you could broadcast dwarf fortress live to other people using the plugin to watch you. That would be grouse. I wish it existed. The quality I could get on ustream or anything like that would not be high enough.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only thing I can think of as far as broadcasting is DFterm can be configured to let other people connect but not play.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In 31.x there's no GPU acceleration like that hack for 40d. The GUI thread automatically uses the GPU when applicable but you won't see any huge boosts like with 40d.

And yeah you can setup DFterm to only allow watching.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    VerdianVerdian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The ghost slow-down bug just made my most recent fortress unplayable. Is there a way to turn ghosts off? I really liked that fortress, especially when the water froze and all but 4 dwarves died of thirst during the winter.

Verdian on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I had a danger room once where a dwarf was training, stubbed his toe, bruised his arm, got stunned, bruised his leg, fell unconscious, skull through the brain.

Danger Rooms are dangerous. Even if there is only training spears.

Readying the combat log is the most fun part of this game.

I guess in DF everyone has brittle bone disease.

My commander was later hit on the head by some ogres, knocked out and promptly ripped apart.

Edit: A fort right in the middle of an evil savanna and a good forest. This ought to be interesting!

Holy shit my Metalcrafter just made a bed from platinum and red diamonds. 168000 Dwarfbucks!

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Holy shit my Metalcrafter just made a bed from platinum and red diamonds. 168000 Dwarfbucks!

Woah... that's your king's bed right there. (Or better yet, give it to an amateur cheezmaker just to make your royalty tantrum. heh.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit danger rooms work really fast.
    Most of my gripes with this major set of releases was how my dwarves never wanted to train properly in the initial releases and now when I've come back to play more in 31.18the speed of training.
    I almost feel like I'm cheating now that I've set up a repeater linked to a danger room though.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New version is out. Toady added in a bunch of stuff dealing with animals and ceramics. Did not see any mention of serious bug fixes but he said he would be dealing with that in the next week or two. He mentioned that large pots would count as a barrel like container. I wonder if this means no more wood being needed on a continual basis to make barrels until you get a strong metal industry.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KryntekKryntek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Release Notes:
    This is the first release of what we once called the Caravan Arc, where we'll be changing how trade and the economy work. The entire release schedule is up at the development page. This particular release doesn't have visible changes to trade -- just a lot of world generation infrastructure. People eat and starve in world gen now, though it doesn't matter afterward. Subsequent releases coming up will be making use of these changes during play, but don't expect too much there this time. There have been many other changes. Seeing most of them will require generating a new world.

There are lots of new domestic animals. We also added giraffes, rhinos, honey bees and bumblebees. Bees were the winner of the animal sponsorship drive and they had many associated jobs, so we didn't try to get into the other sponsored beasts, but we'll be adding those in with every release.

Animals can be placed in pen/pasture zones, and grazing animals will need to graze on grass (they can also eat underground fungus found in many open cave layers). Pastures should be made large enough to provide ample grass and to prevent animals from being stacked on top of each other. Animals crammed into one place for too long can become grumpy and violent, but the animals will stay in the pastures without much tending (a dwarf may occasionally run over to an animal if it wanders off the pasture border to walk around something). There is no way to trade for hay or animal feed at this time, so don't expect grazing animals in new forts to survive on glaciers or the deepest deserts. Many deserts have patches of grass (or succulents) now.

Sheep, llamas and alpacas (and trolls for goblins) can be sheared and the wool can be spun into yarn. Chickens and other birds will lay eggs in nest boxes if you place the boxes in accessible areas. You can mill rocknuts into paste and press the paste for oil (which goes into jugs). Pressing occurs at the new screw press building.

You can make many of the more clayish soil types into earthenware ceramics now (and you can make fire clay into stoneware and kaolinite into porcelain). If a fort embark location has clay above the aquifer (or any clay if there is no aquifer), it'll be displayed in the embark readout. I didn't get very far into glazing, but you can ash glaze and tin glaze (with cassiterite). Earthenware jugs need to be glazed to hold liquids. Stoneware and porcelain jugs don't require glaze but can be glazed. You can also make large pots out of various materials, and these act like barrels (they are associated to stockpiles in the same way, etc.).

Honey bees can be collected and kept in artificial hives (which you can make out of various materials). You'll need one natural hive on your embark location to get started, but after that you can split the colony into new artificial hives. The process is fairly automated. You just need to place the hive buildings and a beekeeper will do the rest. You can adjust a few settings on each hive to control which hives are held for splitting and which are collected. You'll need to have jugs around to collect honeycombs (the royal jelly holds up the process otherwise), and you'll need another jug to collect the honey. Wax cakes can only be made into crafts by a wax worker at this time.

The site finder records the best hit in each square now, and you can stop the finder at any time and browse the results. The categories and readout have been changed up a bit. Minerals have been redistributed on the world map, though this might not be satisfying as I was expecting to get a bit farther with dwarf mode trade. Adjustments might have to be made there until trade is updated. We'll see.

Animals and plants occur with more or less contiguous ranges now, respecting biome. There are specific grasses. The evil grasses are probably a little extreme and seizure-inducing. I might throttle that back.

I'm starting the first one to two week bug fix cycle now, so there weren't a lot of bug fixes for this release, but creatures, items and vegetation don't pick up as many contaminants now.

There are new options in the graphical map export from legends mode, and I fixed a bug there with village maps getting cut off.

For a list of the new tags available for modding (container reagents in reactions, etc.) see file_changes.txt or the new stock reactions.

Kryntek on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm digging the idea of fields of seizure-inducing evil grass. The very ground beneath you is so evil it makes you go mad by looking at it.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oooh i can not whore my woodworking industry to making barrels perhaps? That sounds nice. I am also digging the 'danger rooms' I might have to give that a shot, one of my biggest turnoffs of df right now is the military and how lazy they are, i miss having my 5 man murder machine army

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Genned a world and for some reason didn't have access to axes for woodcutting... Strange.

But ceramics sound cool and very very useful. Herding animals now gives more incentives to keep the fort open to the outside.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can...can you train them into war bees?

And I guess this means it's no longer possible to stuff critters into restraints in 1x1 rooms with tight doors to eliminate their pathing? Hmm, this'll make a pure mountain fort even trickier...

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bees act like vermin, so no.

Buuuuut someone on the official forums pointed out that liquids inside eggs are static. Rename a few tags, add something with a very low ignition point like, say, gunpowder and something else with a very high temperature...

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Napalm eggs from phoenix birds.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    furlion wrote: »
    New version is out. Toady added in a bunch of stuff dealing with animals and ceramics. Did not see any mention of serious bug fixes but he said he would be dealing with that in the next week or two. He mentioned that large pots would count as a barrel like container. I wonder if this means no more wood being needed on a continual basis to make barrels until you get a strong metal industry.

Yeah you still need wood for charcoal to fire the pots (unless you find some coal) until you reach the magma.

TurnpikeLad on