As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sharn Noir 4e PBP (OOC)

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Final sheet is final. I'll get you a wishlist later on.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone selected NOT like inherent bonuses? I think they really work nicely for player & DM. If you're a player and you don't like them, why not? We'll still have magic items with daily/encounter/at-will powers & properties, but we just get to not worry about the book-keeping of +1, +2, +3, etc, and like Astro says, it prevents being boned if you are a two weapon user.

It seems like everyone beside Rose likes or is ambivalent about inherent, and Mr Rose said it wasn't a very strong preference, so unless there is a big thing or problem, I think we will go ahead with them, astro. MUNCHKIN AWAY.

Oh, in terms of encounter design/combat flow:

The first two encounters are either going to be a cake-walk or TOUGH. Really tough. They will be my first two encounters in 4e, so please go gently on me. I've prepared each one around a different theme (Based on the enemies in the combats) and am totally open to feedback/criticism after the encounter is over. I will also be assessing your performance during it & either making future encounters harder or easier depending on how well you do.

Basically, don't worry too much about min/maxing etc. I'll be modulating the difficulty based on how you do. Especially with a free dragonmark or expertise feat and inherent bonuses, you all should be pretty solid.

streever on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, like I said I won't lose any sleep (or ragequit which is, I believe, the traditional response :P ) if everyone else wants IB.
    I'll just go switch them on now...

LateEdit:
    How do you guys want to handle granted attacks and such? My tables have always had the Warlord roll fro attacks they grant and frankly I think that'd be a whole lot faster in PbP too; is that cool with you guys?
    Also in light of that it might be an idea to list everyone's MBAs (or at-wills that can be usesd as an MBA) somewhere.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys,

I want to do a little world-building with this game, to make it collaborative, and give all of you some real sense of ownership.

To that end, I'm creating an Obsidian portal page for the game. Here is the drill.

I'm going to fill it with junk. You can read it or not--I totally don't care. I wouldn't recommend reading all of it right now, because that is just silly. You can read about specific characters/places when they come up if you want some background.

What I AM interested in is seeing your contributions to it. Is that cool? are you interested in doing that? Feel free to make up some NPCs.

I'm a really flexible person, so don't worry that I will reject things. I may do some really minor tweaking (With your knowledge) to fit something into the story, but you won't be wasting your time by contributing.

It's not at all a requirement, but it will definitely make the game cooler if you guys want to add things like the PI's office to the wiki, your apartment, your neighbors/etc. If you have no interest in that, don't worry about it. If you didn't get chosen for the game but want to make your mark on the game world, go ahead and add a page or two! If you think you'd be really interested in doing that once you've ACTUALLY played a little and see what Sharn is like, feel free to wait and add to it later. Basically, I am just saying I want all of us to feel some ownership, and if you want it to go beyond your character, that is totally cool.

streever on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    and here is the wiki:
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/sharn-noir

I'm adding your characters, but if you sign up, I'll give you "ownership" of them so you can edit/change them as much as you like!

streever on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys.

Just checking in from Kansas.

I'm fine with the inherent bonuses thing, and I'm intrigued by this obsidian portal stuff.

It'll be another couple of days before I can really explore it, though.

See you all the evening of the 4th or the morning of the 5th. Barring terrible weather, obviously.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No worries!

I am just putting finishing touches on the opening scene. I know how all of you except Kilroy's character will begin.

Zed/Rose, is it cool if I just have Karash/Wall be buddies already? I imagine they know each other from Wall's less reputable days, and Karash helped Wall out because despite his tough act he's a good guy at heart. Wall sticks around (even when the pay runs out) because he respects Karash and feels a debt to him.

Dresden, your mans will be relatively new to town.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fine by me.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No problem.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sounds good.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    First post is up!
    Forgive the wall of text. I wanted to bring everyone in together. Also, forgive that I wrote some of your character's lines in the opening. I wouldn't do that at a table, but in a PBP, it seems one must control a scene a little sometimes to start things!
    Thread is here
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=17854049#post17854049

For OOC:
    Please use grey in the thread, but you can also use THIS thread to post OOC if it is really involved. Please feel free to post table-talk/etc as much as you want. I think we can really use an OOC thread considering that there will be investigations going on.

Stealing the scene goes both ways, too. I wrote only for those characters who I felt I got a good read on. If you feel like you really understand a basic NPC, feel free to write out their reaction if you want to do something Epic. Basically, any time you want to do something epic or that takes interaction, go for it. Worse case scenario we just retcon your post.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Time for some meta stuff, so posting it in here.

Sorry, I'm not used to dealing with quests/etc, so didn't spell out what was happening. You've received a "Major Quest" (level 3) worth 750 XP and 380 gold (to be divided evenly) from the Watch. Once you've Captured the Murderer you will be rewarded. Captain Harris stipulated that he had to be brought in alive, so that is the condition of your reward! I'll be playing with different ways to summarize stuff in the IC posts.

Also:
    First skill challenge cleared!
    Just for the record, I had 3 possible outcomes depending on what areas you investigated in, with total failure resulting in the Sharn Watch giving you some direction after you glumly retired to quarters not having discovered anything useful. You only had 1 failure (out of the skills I was counting toward the skill challenge) so you've passed the first stage of this challenge.

With that you each earn 30 XP (150 xp total for a level 3 skill challenge)! Please mark it down on your sheets.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    streever wrote: »
    and here is the wiki:
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/sharn-noir

I'm adding your characters, but if you sign up, I'll give you "ownership" of them so you can edit/change them as much as you like!
    Forgot to mention; I have an obsidian portal account now as MrRose

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Excellent--invite sent to you. Astrobstrd now owns "Darren O'Dekker"! As soon as you accept, I'll give you control of your character, Rose. If either of you wants to create wiki pages/etc, go right ahead.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh, I made a huge mistake. I didn't get tokens from you all.

Do you have images that I can use for tokens? if you don't send me one, you'll be something generic until I get your tokens. Danke.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Karash.jpg

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    I like it! It is already token sized for me too.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh, as a heads-up, the people you are all meeting are also in the wiki at obsidianportal.com. Feel free to read their background, or not--it is totally up to you.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    114875_CN_GL-1.jpg

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Puyet.png

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    walken_08.jpg

gah...unless you capped that, I've got a blank now. I'll find another.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I uh... I'm kind of blown away. Can you guys get me tokens for the baddies in the encounter too? (Just kidding. Kind of.)

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh by the way, if you guys are finished with the friar, just let me know in here & we can move out. If you want to do some more RP, go for it, and then we'll have you either go home to retire or take a walk to Tavick's Landing to get your badges.

It is getting late. The garrison is open 24/7, but Morgrave's dorms won't be open by the time you get over there.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You guys done at the Church? Want to go get your badges?

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Heads up, Dresden may have a baby later today, right Dresden? If so, he has a fairly simple character, one of you can probably make his combat moves for him.

We're just waiting for Astro and then we'll kick this off.

Notes:
    The fountain is difficult terrain.

You've been in a mostly dark/barely dim light area--is one of you producing light/carrying light? Let me know.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Baby is here; she and mom are doing fine.

I should be able to post, if I can get the hospital wi-fi to work.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    awesome! Congratulations Dresden.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yes, congratulations to dresden on recruiting a new minion.

Oh well if necessary Wall's sword can shed bright light in a radius of four squares at will.
    Think I'm gonna light it up, yes?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Congrats, Dresden!

What do the PP abilities look like for "Fatherhood"?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Congrats, man!

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    sure thing, Rose--you don't have to (most of you have dim light vision) but that was more of a general "how do you get around in the dark" question.

Post is incoming--just finishing formatting

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Congrats, Dresden!

What do the PP abilities look like for "Fatherhood"?

Like this (apologies for formatting):

Parental Guardian

"Get off the shed!"

Prerequisite: None. Anyone can do it!

Father Knows Best (11th level): When you spend an action point, you can reroll any skill or ability check with a +3 bonus, instead of of taking an extra action.

Sleepless Endurance (11th level) You gain an untyped +3 bonus to Endurance checks.

Eyes like a Hawk (16th level): You cannot be surprised and you gain a +12 bonus to perception checks.

Life Lesson Attack 11
    "It builds character."
    Standard Action Melee weapon
    Primary Target: One creature
    Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
    Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and you may choose an ally adjacent to the target. That target may make a saving thow with a +3 bonus.

My House, My Rules: 12th Utility
    "As long as you're under this roof, you'll do as I say!"
    Encounter
    Immediate Reaction
    Trigger: You fail a Diplomacy check.
    Effect: You may reroll the check, using Intimidate instead.

First Impressions Fighter Attack 20
    "This punk wants to take your daughter to the prom, but first, you want to show him your knife collection."
    Daily ✦ Fear, Martial,Weapon
    Standard Action Melee weapon
    Primary Target: One creature
    Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
    Hit: 3[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and you can choose to immobilize the target (save ends) or have the target move its speed away from you. If you choose the latter, the target cannot move closer to you (save ends).
    Miss: Half damage and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    awesome :)
    Now, go show off that Gouge charge!

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Do I have a straight shot on the boss guy? Are we all on the same "level"? The differences in colors and textures are throwing me off.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    sorry, my map making is awful. Also, the darkness around him is actual darkness--he has an aura 2 of darkness that I forgot to note. My bad. I'll make a note of that.

I don't think you can charge him because of the mooks, because each step must take you closer, right?
    Though yes you are all on the same level, and I bet you could find a way to walk around and make it a straight shot.

e: Oops, I actually did note it, but just in his status.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Does that provide him concealment or any other effects if I charge him? I'm just trying to get my bonuses/penalties in line before I roll.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Darkness actually makes him invisible to you--which isn't really the intent--so let's ret-con that. He has no aura of darkness, he is in dim light like the rest of you.

As a half-orc you have low-light vision, so no penalties.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Half Orc Slayers are the cruise missiles of Dungeons and Dragons.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Daaaaaaaaamn! You destroyed him! that is going to have some interesting in-game consequences ;-)

Darren/Samreedi are up next. Feel free to take your turns in any order if there aren't any NPCs in the initiative order you are in. Basically, I think we'll kind of do this like blocks--so it's Darren/Samreedi, then a muscle, then it'll be karash/wall.

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Probably doesn't matter this round, but the CB is goofy about two-weapon defense. I should pretty much always have +1 to AC and Reflex unless disarmed or ambushed.

astrobstrd on