As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Excel Help

jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Is there a way to create a button in excel where someone can click it, it saves the document, closes it, then creates an outlook email prompted with an email and subject line with the excel file automatically attached?

I'm working on a data tracking log for my team at work, and I want to save them a bunch of steps in saving, closing, creating an email, adding my email, adding a subject, and attaching the document. Not only is that more steps, its more room for people to not have a uniform subject / attach the wrong document.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
0/8

PS2
FF X replay

PS3
God of War 1&2 HD
Rachet and Clank Future
MGS 4
Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
Fable 3

DS
FF: 4 heroes of light
jeddy lee on

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There is a way. You'd need to create a macro. You should be able to piece most of the VB code together through googlable sources.

This is assuming that you're also using Outlook. If not, I have no idea if this is feasable.

Deebaser on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm sure someone could whip up a macro that might do most of that for you (well, I have no idea if it's possible--but you know how this place is... some people are amazing).

However, did you know that Excel has a similar function already built in? It's the Email as Attachment button/function. I'm using Excel 2007, but I know it existed in 2003 at least. I added the button to the quick access toolbar in Excel 2007 (but I had previously just added it to one of the toolbars in 2003 as well). When a user clicks it, it opens up an email in Outlook with the file automatically attached and the Subject field filled in with the name of the file. It doesn't fill in the To field automatically (and I always have to add my signature by clicking the signature button myself), but it does the other bits of what you want.

options.jpg

optionsemail.jpg

I can't test at home here, because I don't use Outlook, but I think it either prompts you to save the file when you use the button or sends the most up-to-date version, saving probably in the temp folders or something. I don't really remember.

LaOs on