As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    cooked a couple awesome things yesterday

habanero bbq sauce:

1 apple
    1 medium onion
    8 garlic cloves
    1 cup cider vinegar
    4 oz tomato paste
    3 tbsp dijon mustard
    2 habanero peppers
    salt + pepper
    (optional) brown sugar to taste

chop the apple and onion. sautee in a little oil. when a little browned, throw everything into a blender and zip until smooth. then boil for a while. blend more if needed. the sauce will be a little thick - if you can't stand that then strain off the solids. salt + pepper to taste. you can add a little dry thyme during cooking if you roll that way.

this is a very spicy bbq sauce so use sparingly. it is, however, delicious and healthy

chicken breast that doesn't suck

make a brine out of 2 cups water, 2 tbsp salt 2tbsp brown sugar. soak chicken in it overnight.

the next day take chicken out, rinse, pat dry and put on a wire rack in a 150 degree oven for about an hour

then heat up a pan super-hot. throw a little high-heat oil and the chicken in the pan. you are going for a hard sear on the outside - this will give a grilled flavor that is difficult to otherwise capture on an indoor cooktop. cook until juices run clear

bari-style runner beans

1 lb dry runner beans or dry fava beans
    1 lb ham
    8 cloves garlic
    1 can diced tomatoes
    2 oz olive oil
    1 tsp sage
    1/2 tsp rosemary
    3 oz sherry
    1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    salt + pepper

soak the beans overnight. next day, drain them and boil them in a brine for about an hour - until they are soft.

next day, chop the ham into 1/4 inch cubes or so. in a large pan, sautee the ham in the olive oil until a little browned. chop the garlic and add. cook a couple minutes. add the can of tomatoes, the sage and the rosemary. cook until the sauce reduces and the tomatoes start to break down, then add the wine and vinegar. salt + pepper to tastes. drain the beans and add them, sautéing for a few minutes

grate a little parmesan or romano over the beans when you serve.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hooray!

Finally found an old cast iron pan to fix up! and a (sadly lidless) dutch oven! Sitting in my sister's basement of all places.

Before:
    1622298_10152282783368279_1291063610_o.jpg

After coarse salt and a potato:
    10014807_10152282783358279_1256127964_o.jpg

After 2 coats of veggie oil and 2 hours at 375 with a final coat of veggie oil:
    1891325_10152282783388279_242433830_o.jpg

Tomorrow there will be bacon and/or sausages!

edit: weird thing is .... it says '8' on the handle, but on the bottom it says 10 1/2" Skillet

it is indeed 10 1/2" .... wonder what the 8 means?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wagner pans have numbers on them that are basically production/series numbers, but I cant find the blog about it. Its a nice pan, I haven't seasoned with veggie oil, I hope you got a nice seal from it.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Wagner pans have numbers on them that are basically production/series numbers, but I cant find the blog about it. Its a nice pan, I haven't seasoned with veggie oil, I hope you got a nice seal from it.

I've never done it before, but it -looks- like what I expected it to.

I hope?

Either way, I plan to cook up some bacon and sausages in it tomorrow so that should help it some too!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I hope?

Either way, I plan to cook up some bacon and sausages in it tomorrow so that should help it some too!

There's a lot of talk out there about the best ways to season a cast iron pan but it's worth remembering that these have been used for so long before there even radio was around to share information. People just found something that looked like it worked and kept moving along.

Now I do wonder if I should sand down the surface of my cast iron skillet. There are a good amount of pock marks, some caused by a metal spatula hitting the pan a little too hard I believe, so it's not as smooth as I'd like.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

I hope?

There's a lot of talk out there about the best ways to season a cast iron pan but it's worth remembering that these have been used for so long before there even radio was around to share information. People just found something that looked like it worked and kept moving along.

Now I do wonder if I should sand down the surface of my cast iron skillet. There are a good amount of pock marks, some caused by a metal spatula hitting the pan a little too hard I believe, so it's not as smooth as I'd like.

I basically used a combination of the first two google results on "how to clean a rusty iron pan"

both said to use veggie oil so I figured I'd be ok =)

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Okay guys, rather than revive my old cookie thread, I decided to bring this here. I have made a great discovery in the realm of chocolate chip cookies!!!
    Take your normal homemade CC Cookie recipe, cut back on the vanilla extract by half, add a full teaspoon of Orange extract, and the grated zest of two whole oranges and mix them with your wet ingredients.

I'm stunned by the results sofar!

EDIT: Also, I would use 60% cacao chips with this. But that's just me, in my experience with CC cookies, the darker the chocolate, the better.

Matthew on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    edit: wrong thread!

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Matthew wrote: »
    Okay guys, rather than revive my old cookie thread, I decided to bring this here. I have made a great discovery in the realm of chocolate chip cookies!!!
    Take your normal homemade CC Cookie recipe, cut back on the vanilla extract by half, add a full teaspoon of Orange extract, and the grated zest of two whole oranges and mix them with your wet ingredients.

I'm stunned by the results sofar!

EDIT: Also, I would use 60% cacao chips with this. But that's just me, in my experience with CC cookies, the darker the chocolate, the better.

The same works with almond extract as well as a number of other flavorings.

Also, I'll say from experience that you don't want to go TOO dark. The time I used 80% cocoa was a little overboard.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    What's a good filling for a savoury pie. I'm thinking of things which aren't the traditional sorts (steak & kidney, chicken & mushroom etc).

I've made a creamy chicken and leek pie before which was pretty damn tasty, but I don't seem to have any decent recipes for anything else

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Lamb and leeks

• Options
    Duck and raspberries has been suggested, especially if you can use some duck fat in the crust as well.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    First attempt with a Pizza Steel -

I believe I found Jesus.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    First attempt with a Pizza Steel -

I believe I found Jesus.

Welcome to the club!
    When I got my, I seriously made pizza one or two times a week for a month or so.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Is there a benefit to steel over stone?

• Options

This is going second hand since I haven't done pizza at home yet, but steel has better temperature stability and higher thermal capacity than stone. It gets hotter and stays that way so you get more heat on the bottom of the crust which equals more bubbles.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Today being Easter Sunday, I will of course be making some roast lamb.

What's this? The wild garlic is in full leaf, all tender and green? And we have a rosemary bush? And some walnuts? And some really good olive oil?

Well then I guess I'll just have to make a big ole pot of fresh pesto from those things, won't I? And then rub some onto the lamb before cooking so as to make a herby, garlicy crust.

• Options

This is going second hand since I haven't done pizza at home yet, but steel has better temperature stability and higher thermal capacity than stone. It gets hotter and stays that way so you get more heat on the bottom of the crust which equals more bubbles.

Actually, it doesn't get quite as hot, but it outputs more heat. Some guy did a test of both and found that while the stone got hotter, it wasn't as good at transferring the heat to the crust.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Actually, it doesn't get quite as hot, but it outputs more heat. Some guy did a test of both and found that while the stone got hotter, it wasn't as good at transferring the heat to the crust.

Basically this (but Steel, you have the basic gist of it).
    The steel itself will actually level out at a lower temp than a stone will (measured using an IR thermometer). But the reason it does is because the steel is much more efficient at radiating the heat it gets (hence why it's generally better, since that's what your food gets).
    The stone will level at a higher temp because it absorbs plenty of heat but isn't as efficient at putting it back out to make tasty, tasty pizza times.

And side benefit of leaving the steel in your oven all the time (instead of hauling it in and out when you want to use it) is that it will actually help your oven regulate its own temperature. Ovens usually cycle on and off to keep at whatever you set it to, but since the steel holds and radiates heat it helps keep the overall oven temp more even (like a heat buffer).

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Steel is a better conductor of heat, but has a lower heat capacity. They're both going to heat up to exactly the same temperature (though the steel will do it faster, and will cool faster once the oven is opened). If two materials existed that achieved different equilibrium temperatures in the same environment it would be possible to construct a heat engine using them and you'd have achieved a violation of the second law of thermodynamics.

When you're cooking a pizza, you care about the heat flux into the pizza over time. That depends on the temperature of the oven (heat conducted via the air into the pizza, and radiated into the pizza), the thermal conductivity of the surface you place the pizza on (you can probably neglect radiation from that surface), and the heat capacity of that surface. A surface with very high conductivity, but low heat capacity (e.g. a sheet of aluminum foil) is not terribly useful as it will immediately cool down on contact with the pizza, and a surface with low conductivity but high heat capacity (I dunno; something wet but insulated I guess) isn't useful either as the pizza will not receive a sufficient heat flux.

Steel is nice because you can always increase heat capacity by just adding more; you can't increase the conductivity of stone by adding more stone.

Also I bought a Dutch oven.

• Options
    I like that each consecutive explanation got more and more detailed.

I did not get a dutch oven, but I do want one. What brand did you end up with?

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I never mastered the art of using a pizza peel, so unfortunately, steel is not an option for me.

• Options
    The wild garlic pesto was pretty good you guys

make wild garlic pesto

it is super easy if you have a food processor

• Options
    I never mastered the art of using a pizza peel, so unfortunately, steel is not an option for me.

As I learned quickly (after a disaster of it sitting on the peel for too long) - it's all about flour and/or cornmeal. Apply liberally.

• Options
    Also don't overload the toppings

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Finally tried cooking bacon in the oven. This is indeed the only way to cook bacon.

And now I have a nice amount of the culinary gold that is rendered bacon fat.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options

As I learned quickly (after a disaster of it sitting on the peel for too long) - it's all about flour and/or cornmeal. Apply liberally.

Sir, flour and cornmeal are the devils lubricants. You need to be introduced to the magic that is semolina flour!
    And also, not too liberal on it. I dust with a bit of flour, rub it into the board, the just swipe off any surface stuff left. Then get a good pinch of semolina and sprinkle it on the peel. Stuff is like ball-bearings for pizza dough. The trick is figuring out the perfect amount. Too little and you start sticking again, but too much and it actually goes down onto the steel and will burn a little before the pizza is done (and then when you pull it out, there's a bunch of black dust all over that will either get onto the next pizza or need to be cleaned off).

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Finally tried cooking bacon in the oven. This is indeed the only way to cook bacon.

Only problem is that it's a lot more work to clean a baking pan than a cooking pan

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Only problem is that it's a lot more work to clean a baking pan than a cooking pan

Don't know about that. It's pretty easy to throw out aluminum foil ;)

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Oven safe cooking pans are very handy.

Though as Decius may be alluding to, I seem to recall that one of the preferred ways to do bacon in the oven is to make a series of tents using foil under the bacon to let the fat drain away for better crisping.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Actually I just lined the baking sheet with foil and baked it lying as is. It seemed to crisp up just fine. I followed this http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/breakfastcookery/ht/bacon.htm

Though it seems I need some new bakeware, or or least something a little more rigid. My baking sheet warps at temperature, which caused some pooling. It retakes shape when it cools down.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    I like that each consecutive explanation got more and more detailed.
    Well, making a post about physics is pretty much this forum's version of lighting the beacons of Gondor.
    I did not get a dutch oven, but I do want one. What brand did you end up with?
    I got a Lodge enameled version in a 6 quart size. At 50 bucks including shipping it was the cheapest one that had solid reviews. I got hold of it yesterday, and today I cleaned up the kitchen enough to use it. First thing I made (and something I've never tried before) was a chicken tagine. It turned out pretty well, and I'll definitely make it again.

So far I've only really cooked on Teflon, though, and was a little alarmed when a thin layer of material started to stick to the bottom of the dutch oven. In my old cooking pot that would have meant I'd burned the stew, but that did not seem to happen here.

• Options
    I usually get sticking stuff every now in then. You're probably also going to see the pot discolor over time, especially if you make a lot of high pigment stuff in it (I make a lot of blackbeans in my pot) Dont get alarmed and try and scrub it out.

• Options
    So someone gave me about six pounds of crimini mushrooms that should last the next day or two. I assume the best option is to roast, but does anyone have additional suggestions from there?

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2014
    I have used a Lodge enameled cast-iron dutch oven for years and it is my favorite piece of cookware i own by far. highly highly recommended.

mine is red but i imagine the blue and green ones are just as good

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    So someone gave me about six pounds of crimini mushrooms that should last the next day or two. I assume the best option is to roast, but does anyone have additional suggestions from there?

Mince them and turn them into a savory marmalade for meat?

Steam Profile
  • Options

@Schrodinger‌ I would make a stock: http://christinecooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/basics-recipe-for-crimini-mushroom.html

I haven't tried a mushroom stock, but I'd imagine you could do the same thing that my mom does with chicken stock, which is freeze it in small Tupperware and use it for small batches of soup.

• Options
    Apparently these are button mushrooms, not crimini mushrooms. Straight into the trash, you go!

(No, not really)

• Options
    I thought button mushrooms and crimini mushrooms were the same thing. Criminis are just immature button mushrooms, right?

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, on a whim I bought some beef short ribs. Ideas on what to do with them?

:so_raven:
This discussion has been closed.