As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I think I'm going to get into curing meats this year.

Step 1: Bacon

http://frombellytobacon.com/2012/05/23/spring-lamb-pancetta/

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    V1m wrote: »
    Pizza night tonight. Parma ham, oyster mushrooms, sauce made with san marzano tomatos and the last of the oregana picked and ried from the garden. Fennel seeds in the dough, which was rolled very thin and I brushed the edges with olive oil to make them crunchy for dipping.

We ate until it hurt, then sat and drank port in front of the fire.

Happy new year :)

Did someone say Oyster Mushrooms? I found a few logs with local varieties of the oysters on them. I've been putting them near matching types and conditions to spread the species for later harvest. I can also bring the logs home for an on hand supply. Here are some pics but it shows everything frozen.
    054.jpg
    053.jpg
    056.jpg

Foolproof on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    edit double post.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    dem shrooms!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Mushrooms terrify me. The idea of cultivating them terrifies me more.

Some day you will wake up and they will be growing from your ears. You will be a shroom-zombie, under their control.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm attempting to grow pearl oyster mushrooms right now

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Some day you will wake up and they will be growing from your ears. You will be a shroom-zombie, under their control.

And then suddenly Vim is sauteing you with garlic, butter and pepper

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

And then suddenly Vim is sauteing you with garlic, butter and pepper

Thats....Hot?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    And buttery!

• Options
    the secret is to deglaze with white wine.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

@V1m may I direct you to Thegreatcow's Charcuterie 101 thread down in H&A. When you stop drooling on your keyboard, a simple thanks will suffice. P8FB0Yg.png

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Well, he's already helping them reproduce and spread.
    I fear it may already be too late.

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »

@V1m may I direct you to Thegreatcow's Charcuterie 101 thread down in H&A. When you stop drooling on your keyboard, a simple thanks will suffice. P8FB0Yg.png

Implying I haven't read right through it several times.

An implication I resent.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    been very busy with work, but I did manage to throw together a pot of white chicken chili on Sunday. it's a slow cooker recipe but takes a bit of prep beforehand, so it's not the typical throw-everything-in-and-turn-it-on crock pot meal. it's absolutely delicious and I have a bunch of frozen leftovers. (the only thing I change is using boneless skinless thighs. by browning them you get more texture from the chicken, and it's less work than skinning the parcooked bone-in thighs. plus it doesn't really cook long enough for the bones to impart much flavor, and they're a pain in the ass to fish out at the end)

up for tomorrow is ginger fried rice. this became one of my favorite recipes last year, and I highly recommend it. gonna add some shrimp this time just because. I'll report back with how that turns out.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Well, This past weekend I made my first mostly successful pot roast. I've made them before but they always came out tough. I tried a new receipe which really is fairly simple.

oil on the bottom of a dutch oven pot on the stove. hot temp. Season a chuck roast with powdered onion, garlic, cayanne, (if you use a cayanne mix like tonys do not add salt) braize the roast in the oil, thick slice an onion, throw that in there along with a few spoonfulls of crushed garlic from the jar, add a half quart or so of beef STOCK (not broth), cover, lower temp to simmer, let it cook for several hours, stirring every 30-40 minutes, add stock if you are losing liquid.

When the meat is tender, pull it out on a plate and use a fork to shred it and remove the fat. Take a blender or induction blender, skim any excess grease, blend up any remaining onion bits, add a bit of corn starch to give it more of a gravy body, repot the meat into the gravy and let it cook a little more. Then get a french bread, and eat on the best roast beef sammiches ever.

At least that was what i was suppose to do. I messed up the steps a bit and forgot to add the chopped garlic. I also had the fire too high for too long in the beginning and ended up with not enough stock to really make a gravy. But it was still tender and good and made good sammiches. I shall do better next time.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    are any of the butter-substitutes any good

i am trying to hitch back my calories and i love steamed or roasted vegetables with butter

can i approximate this flavor well for few calories?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    are any of the butter-substitutes any good

i am trying to hitch back my calories and i love steamed or roasted vegetables with butter

can i approximate this flavor well for few calories?

Uh, probably not terribly well. Butter is pretty unique even among fats.

I think you're better off finding other ways to flavor vegetables for roasting like olive oil + herbs and spices that you enjoy instead of just doing one method poorly.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    yeah, just switch to oil

it's really easy to infuse oil with herbs and that stuff tastes great

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Oh yall think I got calories to spare for oils? This thin privilege...

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Try roasted veggies tossed with just enough oil to help them crisp up, then pile on the herbs. I suggest powdered garlic to go with whatever else. You don't need much at all.

If you really can't have any oil, I guess try just wetting the veggies and applying the spices that way so they stick? Maybe put some non-stick spray on the tray.

Because I'm sorry but no, all the butter substitutes are pretty bad. Any of the ones that taste even okay have about the same amount of calories.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    There's about 90 calories in one pound of asparagas, just to pick one veggie that's good tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper.

For that, I'd use a scant tablespoon of olive oil, which adds 100-110 calories. That's ~200 calories... for the entire pound of asparagas.

Is that too much?

• Options
    O no olive oil is perfect since it coats more evenly than butter without bothering a pan. My main problem with butter is that it always seems like I need a lot if I want to say, coat a bunch of veggies in a bowl after steaming

• Options
    O no olive oil is perfect since it coats more evenly than butter without bothering a pan. My main problem with butter is that it always seems like I need a lot if I want to say, coat a bunch of veggies in a bowl after steaming

Probably because butter has a significant water component that doesn't stick so well to things. Butter that's had the water evaporated off probably sticks better but that may not really help out your situation.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Now I really, really wa

Probably because butter has a significant water component that doesn't stick so well to things. Butter that's had the water evaporated off probably sticks better but that may not really help out your situation.

A great solution to this problem is to melt your butter beforehand, and then use just clarified butter to coat your vegetables. It sticks better, honestly it tastes better, and you're using less calories over all.

Really, in almost every situation where you are using straight butter to dress something (i.e. tossing grilled/steamed/baked veggies in it or brushing it on a steak) a little clarified butter will go a long way.

Also use unsalted butter. In any recipe its better to use unsalted because it will be easier to control your salt content and in above mentioned uses you're more than likely using seasonings that don't need more salt.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Not enough cooking going on in this thread!

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    I was pretty happy with some chicken I made in the oven the other day. Made a simple dredge of flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Used a mix of buttermilk, honey and dijon mustard as the wet stuff. Let it stand for about 20 minutes to the let the dredge hydrate and then baked it in a 425 oven for about 40 minutes. The crust was comprable to fried without the hassle. Some mashed potatoes and steam broccoli to go with it and that made for a very nice meal indeed.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I made 24 sausage and leek popovers yesterday

They're great!

• Options
    Alazull wrote: »
    Now I really, really wa

A great solution to this problem is to melt your butter beforehand, and then use just clarified butter to coat your vegetables. It sticks better, honestly it tastes better, and you're using less calories over all.

Really, in almost every situation where you are using straight butter to dress something (i.e. tossing grilled/steamed/baked veggies in it or brushing it on a steak) a little clarified butter will go a long way.

Also use unsalted butter. In any recipe its better to use unsalted because it will be easier to control your salt content and in above mentioned uses you're more than likely using seasonings that don't need more salt.

One of my go to quick dinners on nights I'm grocery shopping is to sear scallops in oil and butter and then roast vegetables in the browned butter left in the pan. The combo does a good job of coating enough of the vegetables with the extra flavor from the brown butter and salt and pepper still in the pan meaning you don't need as much to stick to the vegetables.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/01/mushroom-marsala-pasta-bake/

I want this inside me. gonna make it tonight, I think

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Serious mushroom progress. I now have small white spherical growths.

• Options

Funnily enough, I saw an oyster mushroom farm in a box kit at Wegman's last night and thought of your project. I was tempted but I'm not sure how much yield I'd get for what I'd pay for the kit.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    so I made that mushroom marsala casserole. as I was putting away leftovers I kept having to stop myself from licking the spoon. served it with white wine, and a light side salad.

I used penne rigate but I'd use something chunkier, like campanelle, shells, or something. I might sub in some pasta water for some of the stock/broth, for stickiness. some diced cooked chicken would not be amiss, but it was filling and delicious even without.

A++ will cook again.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

Funnily enough, I saw an oyster mushroom farm in a box kit at Wegman's last night and thought of your project. I was tempted but I'm not sure how much yield I'd get for what I'd pay for the kit.

This is a kit I'm using, which is pretty low value. But it's largely a best case period of principle for me. Phase two will be dumping spores onto clean soil and trying to replicate the process

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I made a big ole pan of old school carbonara, with considerably more pancetta than is usual. And oyster mushrooms. And jersey cream. And a nicely chilled bottle of some buttery verdiccio.

We scoffed the lot. My left arm has gone numb and I'm panting a little, but I regret nothing.

Edit: I wish I'd had a bigger pan to brown the pancetta in. It was a bit crowded and I didn't get the amount of delicious golden crunchiness I wanted.

V1m on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So I picked up a Dorkfood Temperature Controller to use with my trusty crock pot for delicious sous vide cooking. This works all fine and well, even with zip lock baggies (though I've moved up to vaccuum sealed food saver bags) and produces perfectly cooked proteins.

Only problem is cooking this way leaves your food without delicious browning and crusty crispy bits. I was using non stick anodized aluminum pans for this, which worked well enough to brown but didn't produce any crispness or crust to speak of. I recently picked up a cast iron skillet, which is new to me. The first thing I noticed is it seems to get way hotter despite being on the same setting as I've used with other pans on the stove, I assume because it is much more efficient at conducting heat. The next thing I noticed is it produces smoke, not a ton but enough to be irritating to have in the house. Which leads me to my problem...

I'm still getting basically the same results, no nice crust on my proteins. I feel like I need to push the heat higher to make this happen, but I don't want to smoke up the house and I'd imagine this also destroys the seasoning on the cast iron.

Any advice for a cast iron searing newbie?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    So I picked up a Dorkfood Temperature Controller to use with my trusty crock pot for delicious sous vide cooking. This works all fine and well, even with zip lock baggies (though I've moved up to vaccuum sealed food saver bags) and produces perfectly cooked proteins.

Only problem is cooking this way leaves your food without delicious browning and crusty crispy bits. I was using non stick anodized aluminum pans for this, which worked well enough to brown but didn't produce any crispness or crust to speak of. I recently picked up a cast iron skillet, which is new to me. The first thing I noticed is it seems to get way hotter despite being on the same setting as I've used with other pans on the stove, I assume because it is much more efficient at conducting heat. The next thing I noticed is it produces smoke, not a ton but enough to be irritating to have in the house. Which leads me to my problem...

I'm still getting basically the same results, no nice crust on my proteins. I feel like I need to push the heat higher to make this happen, but I don't want to smoke up the house and I'd imagine this also destroys the seasoning on the cast iron.

Any advice for a cast iron searing newbie?

What setting are you using it on? With cast iron, you really want to use it on high settings. It does not destroy the seasoning unless you leave it on high for way too long given that you're putting in oil to use the thing to replace any that gets affected.

A big thing is to make sure your proteins are dry before searing. Since they're pretty wet out of the bag after a water bath (you don't have as much moisture escaping from the meat in sous vide but there's still some), you usually want to blot off moisture with a paper towel while the pan heats up. With a pan sufficiently hot, I find that 30 seconds per side is enough to brown things with 5-10 seconds on any less flat surfaces I want to brown.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The setting on my electric range I've been using is "5" which is to say smack dab in the middle of the dial. This is enough to make the pan smoke profusely if I don't add any food, so I've been hesitant to push it any higher. Should I dial it up further? I should mention I've been using safflower oil.

Unrelated, but I have some frozen swordfish in the freezer that seems to have taken on a yellow brown hue. Did it go bad? Google is no help with this one.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The setting on my electric range I've been using is "5" which is to say smack dab in the middle of the dial. This is enough to make the pan smoke profusely if I don't add any food, so I've been hesitant to push it any higher. Should I dial it up further? I should mention I've been using safflower oil.

Medium is likely too low to get a good sear on meat. It's fine for more delicate proteins like white fish and shrimp but not for anything you want to really brown.

General rule with cast iron is to set the temperature as high as it'll go and then give it a few minutes to heat up. Safflower oil has a higher smoke point than most but you'll still get some smoke. Again though, you only need less than a minute per side after the water bath so it shouldn't get too bad.

I'll admit that I've never lived in a home without a range hood and fan though.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Oh I've got a range hood and fan but due to the incredibly cheap construction of this apartment building, there's no vent to the outside. So the fan just blows the smoke around the apartment. Gotta stick a fan in the window when I sear.

I think I might get an IR thermometer to take the temp of my cast iron. What temp should I be aiming for to sear a good steak?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Oh I've got a range hood and fan but due to the incredibly cheap construction of this apartment building, there's no vent to the outside. So the fan just blows the smoke around the apartment. Gotta stick a fan in the window when I sear.

I think I might get an IR thermometer to take the temp of my cast iron. What temp should I be aiming for to sear a good steak?

I honestly don't know for sure. I kind of gauge it by seeing if the handle of the cast iron pan is warm. Mine is a short handled Lodge model. Non-cast iron pans get tested for searing temperatures by sprinkling a few drops of water and seeing if they race around the pan instead of just sizzling due to rapid boiling not letting the rest of the drop hit the pan.

Malliard browning starts to occur at 284 F/140 C but most searing is done at higher temperatures than that. I think 450 F is a starting point with temperatures closer to 500 being the norm. I'd be curious what results you get trying different temperatures actually.

Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.