As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Kirindal wrote: »
    Do you have any dietary restrictions on what sort of vegetarian fare you may provide at the festival this year?

I'd like one of the days to be vegan (since a bunch of the sides on that day will have dairy), but the only hard restrictions are vegetarianism and cost.

Other than that we're trying hard to only use ingredients that are in season in Denmark at the time (end of July) but that part you should probably let me deal with.

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    For cold dishes, I would suggest looking into making mool naengmyun or zaru soba. Most of the prep work can be done long beforehand and stored until you're ready to serve. After that all you would need to do is build the bowls with toppings which shouldn't be too hard if with an assembly line of help going. There's also the grain-only version of cig kofte.

As for hot dishes, you can always tap into Indian cuisine, stuffed parathas, aloo gobi, palak paneer, baingan bharta, chana masala, kichiri...the list goes on. Then there's always ratatouille, portobello mushroom roulades, artichoke barigoule, kedgeree, colcannon, a purely vegetarian puchero, stuffed crepes in broth. You've done panzerotti so perhaps a line of vegetarian pasties?

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Isn't kedgereee a fish dish?

Otherwise those are all good ideas. One of the menus will be sort of pan-Asian, Indian might fit in there.

On cig kofte, I'm not generally a huge fan of vegetarian stuff that imitates a meat dish but I will look into it.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Kedgeree is a fish dish, but you could always swap out the protein with something else [tofu, tempeh, seitan.]

As for cig kofte, the yalanci version is fairly prevalent enough to stand on its own so I would say it's less an imitation as it is just an alternate method of making it.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    What kind of inhuman monster invents wasabi roast almonds and lets people just buy them?

Also: I don't feel so great now :(

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Do you have any dietary restrictions on what sort of vegetarian fare you may provide at the festival this year?

I'd like one of the days to be vegan (since a bunch of the sides on that day will have dairy), but the only hard restrictions are vegetarianism and cost.

Other than that we're trying hard to only use ingredients that are in season in Denmark at the time (end of July) but that part you should probably let me deal with.

best vegan dish I have eaten in the last while

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

We gave up on the vegan thing in the end but I'm definitely making that for myself sometime soon

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

We gave up on the vegan thing in the end but I'm definitely making that for myself sometime soon

You definitely should. It's one of those dishes where you actively feel better for eating it. My mum and her friend went crazy for it when I made it for a BBQ we had last week.

Basically the only downside, if it can be called such, to this dish is that the minimum quantity you can make is a pretty good sized panful. The article gushes a bit, and does gloss over the inescapable fact that it's definitely best when it's freshly made. But it will keep in the fridge and it's still pretty good after a day or two.

NB Pine nuts are insanely expensive here, so I kind of bulked out the crunch component with walnuts. But that worked so well that I'm just going to carry on doing that in future on its own merits. I also added in a litte seed cumin, because I like cumin a lot.

NB: I also found it worked better when you dice the aubergine pretty small. 1/4" dice works best for me.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    This was posted on Reddit today.

hWkRuR8.jpg

Note the lid.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular

hWkRuR8.jpg

Note the lid.

What the fuck did he do!?

• Options
    Older style pressure cooker with no safety mechanism on an electric stove left unattended.

No idea what he was trying to cook, since there doesn't seem to be any food debris. Pressure canning, perhaps?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »

Note the lid.

The pot looks like it may be a pressure cooker though I don't see a rubber gasket on the lid. Or a handle on the lid like you see in most modern pressure cookers. Which could mean the handle landed in the ceiling and/or it's an older style pressure cooker that may not have safety mechanisms for venting excess pressure.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    So apparently in my backyard, I have a brick... something. That came with the house.

It has a chimney, a front door with a latch, and two racks.

It looks like a smoker, but it only has one compartment.

It can't be a fireplace, because why the racks?

I was hoping it might be a pizza, but there's no "ceiling" to heat from above. I suppose could place a having backing stone on top.

Does anyone know what this might be? I'd take pictures, but it's too dark.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Without seeing it, my best guess would be an oven of some sort. It may have been someone's project and they didn't consider things like uniform heating.

Is there anything in the house info about it? A lot of times something like that would be a selling point. Also maybe try and contact the previous owner.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I think it might be a barbecue pit.

What can I do with a barbecue pit better than sous vide?

Any veggie recipes?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Experiment! I like to roast root vegetables, as well as squashes, large peppers, etc.

Honestly I don't really know much about sous vide, I'm more used to cooking with fire and smoke. But things like brisket, ribs, pork shoulder, whole chickens (spatchcocked to cook evenly)...all do really well on a barbecue.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    I think it might be a barbecue pit.

What can I do with a barbecue pit better than sous vide?

Any veggie recipes?

Post pictures of the pit?

It'd give me a better idea of what you're working with.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Dinner tonight is Soegogi Doenjang Jjigae. Korean beef stew simmered in broth flavored with (mostly) doenjang and (a little bit of) gochujang. It's also got onions, garlic, mushrooms, potatoes, zucchini, and tofu. I basically doubled this recipe. Then I doubled again the garlic and mushrooms called for, because when is that ever a bad idea. Served with rice and well aged kimchi, though traditionally it should have two more sides. I also used round roast, instead of the well marbled meat shown there. Just left it in the freezer for an hour and sliced it thinly, worked great.

11990376_750448738374_7474394690840337941_n.jpg?oh=04d2363a0704cad1c98ebbc03df7778b&oe=56771478

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The house smells like shrimp, garlic, ginger, and onions so far. I'm making broth for a shrimp and pork bouillabaisse-doenjang-guk experiment. Seemed only right, since I had shrimp shells to hand.

If it turns out well, I will share the recipe. :)

Edit - Turned out well, but I'm too sleepy to put up the recipe now! Food coma! Probably tomorrow. Came out more on the guk side than the bouillabaisse, but still, a good start. Almost like a bisque, now that I think about it.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    So I thought I had taken a picture of the bouillabaisse-doenjang stuffies but... looks like it's lost somewhere. I might've saved it to the wrong folder. Alas, you'll have to do with just the recipe.

1/2lb shrimp, in the shell (cut into 1/2" pieces, if the shrimp are big)
    1/2lb pork shoulder, pref. boned rib meat, cut into 1/4" slices
    2c Napa cabbage, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
    1/2 large white onion, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
    1/2lb Lobak, roughly cut into 1/4" slices (Korean Radish, you can also use fresh Daikon)
    1 whole head garlic, peeled, 1/2 of the cloves smashed, the rest finely minced
    2" ginger, sliced into 1/4" slices and smashed
    6c water
    2 heaping Tbsp Doenjang
    1/2 Tbsp Gochujang
    1/2 Tbsp Korean hot pepper flakes (or more to taste)
    1/2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp Shoyu
    1 tsp Fish Sauce (or more to taste)
    Green Onions, cut into 1/2" pieces

For the broth:
    Water
    Half the white onion
    Smashed garlic cloves
    Smashed Ginger
    Shrimp shells (reserve peeled shrimp in the fridge until needed)

Put all the broth ingredients in a heavy pot, bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat to a brisk simmer. Cook for 1 hour, or until the broth tastes strongly of ginger and smells strongly of shrimp. Strain broth. If you do not have 4c worth, add water until you have 4c. Allow to cool until just a bit warm.

In the same heavy pot (do not rinse it), place the Lobak and the broth. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.While that is cooking, mix the Doenjang, Gochujang, hot pepper flakes, sugar, shoyu, fish sauce, and minced garlic. Make sure the seasoning paste is smooth with no lumps, you can add a little water and use the back of a spoon to smooth it out. Give it a taste - it should be strongly salty, a little too salty, with a fermented taste right up front, followed by a sweet-savory finish and a slow burn. If you want it saltier or sweeter, add more shoyu, fish sauce, or sugar. Spicer? Add more hot pepper flakes. Keep in mind this will be diluted in the broth and then eaten with rice.

After the 20 minutes, add the cabbage, onion, seasoning paste, and pork to the pot. Stir to combine thoroughly, then let simmer for another 20 minutes. Add shrimp to the broth, stir, cover, and turn off the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir again, checking that the shrimp is cooked through. Add green onions and serve immediately with white rice or fresh baguette.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Passerbye wrote: »
    So I thought I had taken a picture of the bouillabaisse-doenjang stuffies but... looks like it's lost somewhere. I might've saved it to the wrong folder. Alas, you'll have to do with just the recipe.

1/2lb Lobak, roughly cut into 1/4" slices (Korean Radish, you can also use fresh Daikon)
    6c water
    2 heaping Tbsp Doenjang
    1/2 Tbsp Gochujang
    1/2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp Shoyu

For the broth:
    Water
    Half the white onion
    Smashed garlic cloves
    Smashed Ginger

Put all the broth ingredients in a heavy pot, bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat to a brisk simmer. Cook for 1 hour, or until the broth tastes strongly of ginger and smells strongly of shrimp. Strain broth. If you do not have 4c worth, add water until you have 4c. Allow to cool until just a bit warm.

In the same heavy pot (do not rinse it), place the Lobak and the broth. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.While that is cooking, mix the Doenjang, Gochujang, hot pepper flakes, sugar, shoyu, fish sauce, and minced garlic. Make sure the seasoning paste is smooth with no lumps, you can add a little water and use the back of a spoon to smooth it out. Give it a taste - it should be strongly salty, a little too salty, with a fermented taste right up front, followed by a sweet-savory finish and a slow burn. If you want it saltier or sweeter, add more shoyu, fish sauce, or sugar. Spicer? Add more hot pepper flakes. Keep in mind this will be diluted in the broth and then eaten with rice.

After the 20 minutes, add the cabbage, onion, seasoning paste, and pork to the pot. Stir to combine thoroughly, then let simmer for another 20 minutes. Add shrimp to the broth, stir, cover, and turn off the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir again, checking that the shrimp is cooked through. Add green onions and serve immediately with white rice or fresh baguette.

Good god this sounds amazing. I have no idea where I would get most of these ingredients, but just the fact that it exists pleases me :D

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Any of you living in Chicago might have heard of the Green City Market, a purely local farmers' market in Lincoln Park every Saturday. One morning I was there, and lo and behold, Rick Bayless was doing a live cooking demo, and handing out samples of this amazing pulled pork and black bean stew.

I ended up adapting it, and changing it slightly for my tastes. Rather than doing it in a slow cooker I've gone for the pressure cooker, as a way to have a great slow-cooked pulled pork meal that only takes an hour to cook and takes almost no time to prep.

Ingredients:
    2.5-3lbs pork shoulder in 2x2 cubes (can substitute country style ribs)
    1 28 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
    1lb dried black beans
    1 large white onion, cubed
    1 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
    1 dried ancho (guajillo or pasilla work too) chile
    3 cups water
    Garnish:
    1 Avocado, sliced
    1 bunch Cilantro chopped
    salsa verde to taste

Season the pork with salt and pepper, and brown the pork in the pressure cooker and remove. Saute the onions in the same pot, and deglaze with the moisture let out from the onions. Add the pork, and all of the remainder of the ingredients back to the pot. Seal up, get to pressure. Once at pressure, lower heat and let cook for 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. If the pot is still at pressure, use quick release to vent remainder of pressure.

Use forks to shred pork (and remove bones if you didn't get boneless pork), put back onto high heat and let liquid reduce for 5 minutes or so while stirring occasionally. Garnish with cilantro, avocado, and salsa. Serve with tortilla chips used for dipping or broken up as garnish for texture.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    I ended up adapting it, and changing it slightly for my tastes. Rather than doing it in a slow cooker I've gone for the pressure cooker, as a way to have a great slow-cooked pulled pork meal that only takes an hour to cook and takes almost no time to prep.

That sounds incredible. I've never owned a pressure cooker but have been tempted to get one since my mom used to do some pretty incredible stews and whatnot in one and they are pretty reasonably priced, but is there a rule of thumb conversion for how much time you leave something in a pressure cooker vs. slow cooker or stovetop?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    It can vary, but a multiplier of 3-5x sounds about right. That same dish in the slow cooker was 6+ hours.

A couple things to keep in mind, definitely get one bigger than you think you need. You can only fill them 1/2 to 2/3rds full since there needs to be room for steam pressure as well (I went with a 6 quart, and still occasionally run into size limitations). Also, go with stainless steel over aluminum, aluminum is cheaper, but doesn't react well to acidic liquids.

Here's some more pressure cooker recipes from the Kenji at Serious Eats, I've tried them all, and they are fantastic. My favorite is the 30-minute pulled chicken chili verde one.
    seriouseats.com/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde.html
    seriouseats.com/2015/01/the-food-lab-how-to-make-pressure-cooker-texas-chile-con-carne-beef-chili.html
    seriouseats.com/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew.html
    seriouseats.com/2012/05/latin-cuisine-five-ingredient-one-pot-30-minute-columbian-chicken-stew.html

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Welp, guess I'm buying a pressure cooker.

Is there any difference between pressure cooked and slow cooked food, or are they pretty comparable?

• Options
    Campy wrote: »

Is there any difference between pressure cooked and slow cooked food, or are they pretty comparable?

In my experience, pretty comparable, just the pressure cooker is much faster, and you can get away with using less liquid.

• Options
    Passerbye wrote: »

6c water
    2 heaping Tbsp Doenjang
    1/2 Tbsp Gochujang
    1/2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp Shoyu

For the broth:
    Water
    Half the white onion
    Smashed garlic cloves
    Smashed Ginger

Good god this sounds amazing. I have no idea where I would get most of these ingredients, but just the fact that it exists pleases me :D

Asian grocery stores or Amazon. Depends on where you live. Honestly, the lobak might be the trickiest. Though if you have a significant Korean population in your area, you'll be able to find that at Asian grocery stores, too.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »

hWkRuR8.jpg

Note the lid.

Voided the warranty on the pressure cooker, I'd wager.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

The big difference, as Passerbye mentioned, is that you can use much less liquid overall. This is because there's almost no liquid lost to evaporation. For example, in the original Bayless slow cooker recipe of the black bean stew, you need double the amount of water (6 cups vs 3).

• Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I was kinda hoping that the slow cooker would at least be a little tastier, as I don't want to retire my not-even-a-year-old swanky slow cooker.

Perhaps a taste test is in order. What a godamn shame!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    No reason to retire it, if you're not fussed about the food being ready in an hour rather than six or eight (say, after you come home from work)?

Also, crock pots have less of a tendency to explode.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Slow cookers are useful for soap making and rendering lard.

For braises, the problem is that even though the temperature might be lower than a roast, it's still not low enough for optimal results.

• Options
    No reason to retire it, if you're not fussed about the food being ready in an hour rather than six or eight (say, after you come home from work)?

Also, crock pots have less of a tendency to explode.

Modern pressure cookers don't explode. They have so many safety features that it just wouldn't end up like the picture posted earlier in the thread. First, the cooker in the picture was an older Presto style cooker, and second, had to have it's safety valve compromised in some way.

Schrodinger is also correct. Modern slow cookers kinda suck. The older 70s cookers were much better because they kept a lower heat. But new ones, the manufacturers are so afraid of lawsuits jacked up the temperature to just under boiling, which often ends up overcooking braises.

• Options

Pressure cookers can do a lot of things a slow cooker cannot due to SCIENCE!!!

The big one I've done is getting some vegetables to a temperature where the sugars caramelize but with minimal water loss. In standard atmospheric pressure, the temperature needed for this is above the boiling point of water so the veggies would dry out as the water evaporated. Inside a pressure cooker, the temperature can come up past that point but obviously without anything boiling off due to the increased pressure.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

The big one I've done is getting some vegetables to a temperature where the sugars caramelize but with minimal water loss. In standard atmospheric pressure, the temperature needed for this is above the boiling point of water so the veggies would dry out as the water evaporated. Inside a pressure cooker, the temperature can come up past that point but obviously without anything boiling off due to the increased pressure.

I like science and I like caramelised sugars. Tell me more!

• Options

I like science and I like caramelised sugars. Tell me more!

Fructuose caramelizes at 230 F. Boiling point of water at sea level atmospheric pressure is 212 F. A pressure cooker can hit temperatures of over 230 F at a pressure high enough to move the boiling point of water above 230 F.

Roasted vegetable soups basically can be done by pressure cooking the vegetables with stock instead of oven roasting them. Good candidates are anything with significant fructose content. I've mostly done this with carrots since they're cheap but bell peppers also work well (though some report they get something bitter with just pure bell pepper soups done this way so I've done half pepper, half carrot instead).

After the pressure cooking, you blend it all so it's a soup instead of liquid and vegetables and have something warm and tasty for very little work on your end. The toughest parts are really just having the vegetables cut up and then in my case I transfer the pressure cooked results into a Vitamix instead of using an immersion blender.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Well I have a birthday coming up very shortly and a mother enquiring as to birthday presents.

Think I know what's top of the list...

• Options
    Well I have a birthday coming up very shortly and a mother enquiring as to birthday presents.

Think I know what's top of the list...

Word of advice: Avoid the newer Fissler pressure cookers. They don't come up to the industry standard pressure despite otherwise being designed well. There's some serious disconnect between their European and US customer service departments with the latter telling people they do hit standard pressures but actual testing has shown they don't unless you stress the safety mechanisms.

Electric pressure cookers are more convenient but stovetop models are more flexible. Without the lid, they can function as another pot and I tend to use the base of mine as the container for a sous vide water bath.

Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.