As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gaming careers

LachLach Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
This year I was hired as an intern at a large corporation. I've only been working there for a month, but the grind of working 8 hours a day and commuting to work everyday are not something I'm looking forward to for the next 40 years of my life. I'm not exactly going to give up on it, but I've been thinking about what things I could do on the side or instead of working full-time.

This is what led me to consider starting a business. I've read a few books on this topic in the past week and there's one thing that stands out: most successful business people had a passion and found a way to make money from that passion. In trying to list the things I'm passionate about I found that I mostly like to play video games, read about video games and talk about video games on or off the internet. This is why i created a thread here in G&T, to discuss gaming and entrepreneurship or jobs in the industry.

I don't think we really need to discuss being a game designer or a game store employee. But I'm sure there are many jobs in between that we could talk about. So what do you say G&T? What can I do to work in an industry I love? What kind of cool jobs are out there? Does anyone on here have a job or story they'd like to share about working in the industry or anything like that?

Lach on

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I went through a similar experience. I worked as an investment banking intern last summer, and the commute + 8 hour grind was killing me; I wasn't very into investment banking to begin with, and the internship solidified my desire to open up a game dev. shop. I like designing and playing games, and I like coding, so I'm taking classes geared towards that. I'm also getting together a group of like minded friends to start a game dev. group on campus, and I'm learning C# on the side.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, if you enjoy the game industry but don't want to design, you could always look at getting a job with a publisher and trying to become a game producer or marketer. You get to learn all about the games and be part of the process and still exist in a 'normal' business setting.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    That's awesome. I love hearing stories about people just changing their direction in life and feeling happy. I don't think work is a means to get the things that make you happy. It's a huge part of life and should be something that brings you happiness as well.
    I'm working on a double major in International Business and Asian Studies. I really have no idea why I did this or what the hell I'm going to do with it, but i am almost done.

Lach on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    It's a huge part of life and should be something that brings you happiness as well.
    I couldn't agree more. I worked as a proofreader for a real estate appraiser for 3 months out of college and i wanted to kill myself. if i had to work a 'regular' job for the next 40 years, i wouldn't make it past year 5.

thank god i got a job as a game writer :o

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    How long would it take to learn how to make games? Seems like a longshot at this point. I should probably stick to what I know or come up with a good new business idea.

Lach on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    How long would it take to learn how to make games? Seems like a longshot at this point. I should probably stick to what I know or come up with a good new business idea.
    im sure if you asked a designer that's been in the business for 20 years, he'd say he's still learning.

It sounds like you're still a normal-aged college student. That's plenty of time to learn the trade. With the major you're looking at, I'm sure you could land some entry-level spot with a game publisher and start learning there. It's pretty common for publisher execs to switch over to development, if that's their passion. Spend some time making contacts, keep your eyes open for openings, and go for it when you've got the chance.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I guess I do still have time. I'm only 23. And boy do I love being a student.

This thread is turning into an H/A thread about my career problems. anyone else have a cool job to talk about?

Lach on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I just found this link: http://www.gamejobs.com/

If anyone is interested.

Lach on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Remember that game companies aren't just full of designers, programmers, and testers. They're actual companies, with the necessary jobs that go along with them: marketing, PR, finances, etc. If you just want to work for a game company, there's lots of infrastructure stuff that needs doing.

International Business and Asian Studies? Be an American contact for an overseas company (or an overseas contact for an American country, if you move). Are you good with Flash or Photoshop? Be a web designer or ad creator. If you're good at what you do and like doing it, you can still work at a game company without necessarily being the guy who writes code all day.

Question for Houk: how much do you consider yourself a game "writer?" I think of myself as an editor, because I don't feel like I'm creating something as much as putting my own interpretations onto somebody else's original ideas. Also, nasty technical limitations restrict how much of my thoughts can be included in the final versions of the text, but that's usually on a game-by-game basis.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    I just found this link: http://www.gamejobs.com/

If anyone is interested.
    That's an awesome website.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I worked in the IT field for a-6 years, made good money, and hated almost every moment I spent in my cube. I've since shifted jobs to games journalism, make about half as much, and am happy. It's not as financially sound but there are concessions that can be made to live comfortably. Also, journalism can be a both a window into the industry, and with the right contacts, get you into other areas of games development/publishing/promoting.

etoychest on
  • Options
    The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm planning to go to university and get my BA while focusing in English studies. It sort of just clicked one day with my friends that I really love writing (I miss school work and I've only been done high school for a year) yet am also fairly opinionated. I'm really trying not to set myself up for disappointment while attempting to possibly break my way into gaming journalism so I'm readying myself to do all the school work with a very business-like frame of mind. (This statement doesn't really make much sense, I'm having trouble conveying my train of thought.) I've even drawn up very very basic plans for a website in my mind; sort of styled off of a news blog-like website such Kotaku or any gaming blog but also with other segments of regular gaming journalism (previews, reviews and little articles.) But I really don't plan for my ideas to come to fruition for a few years, I just really want to head to university and get my mind focused on learning to write and learn to study media.

I've read these two articles to somewhat mentally prepare me for a fraction of work that I'll need to do in order to make it into a career that I dream of.

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was originally thinking of using print journalism as a springboard into the industry - public relations or marketing - but for now I'm kind of happy working with local politicians and, once in awhile, writing an article that makes a difference in someone's life.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Bursar wrote:
    Question for Houk: how much do you consider yourself a game "writer?" I think of myself as an editor, because I don't feel like I'm creating something as much as putting my own interpretations onto somebody else's original ideas. Also, nasty technical limitations restrict how much of my thoughts can be included in the final versions of the text, but that's usually on a game-by-game basis.
    I consider myself more a writer than an editor, in that the majority of the work i do actually has a good amount of creative input, even if im not the originator of all the content. When i think of an editor, i think of someone who fixes spelling and grammar, and suggests creative changes to the author(s). As it is, i have direct control over any creative changes we decide to do, from changing names to single lines to character motivations. For example, in screenwriting, if a guy is hired on to rewrite someone else's screenplay, they're not considered an editor. They're considered a second writer, because they have direct control over the changes made to the story.

We do have some nasty limitations, but i consider that a challenge to my creative ability, not necessarily a barrier to it. I see it as a form of technical poetry, in a way. Of course, im sure plenty of fans would disagree and say i should be putting as little of myself into the words as possible. But, well...it's my job, not theirs, our games sell, and the guy who signs my checks completely backs me up on my philosophy.

Not only that, but I also consider myself a game writer in that im also responsible for creating wholly original content for ad copy, trailer composition, and various packaging materials.

And, on top of that, we've been working on a project where i actually had an admittedly small hand in shaping the original story/characters, and will be helping to create the website, manual, and packaging from scratch. Besides, i want to eventually transfer into american game development, and the sooner i get into the mindset of a writer, the sooner ill feel ready to make the jump.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I always wanted to write for those gaming magazines when i was a kid. I even used to like writing a few years ago, but I never really kept it going and now i suck. Would I need some kind of formal training to get into journalism? Could I take a few classes or something?

Also, it seems like a new website or blog pops up every day. This journalism seems pretty crowded.

Lach on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    I always wanted to write for those gaming magazines when i was a kid. I even used to like writing a few years ago, but I never really kept it going and now i suck. Would I need some kind of formal training to get into journalism? Could I take a few classes or something?

Also, it seems like a new website or blog pops up every day. This journalism seems pretty crowded.

Yes, that can be frustrating. However, something to consider, if you do want to use the game writing thing as as a step toward your eventual goal, writing for your own website, and writing well, can get you noticed, and hired by established sites. that's what happened to me, and I have seen it happen more than once since I have been in this field.

etoychest on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    This year I was hired as an intern at a large corporation. I've only been working there for a month, but the grind of working 8 hours a day and commuting to work everyday are not something I'm looking forward to for the next 40 years of my life....This is what led me to consider starting a business. I've read a few books on this topic in the past week and there's one thing that stands out: most successful business people had a passion and found a way to make money from that passion.

Most successful independent business people also work their asses off for their businesses/passions. If you're going to go that route, know that it's not going to be a 40-hour work week.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    all game companies have a corporate site, Maybe go on there and see what they are looking for, and what kind of qualifications they want (I never checked any non programming jobs, so i dunno if they have a full list there)

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I hate my job, but I barely make enough to live as it is. don't get your self trapped like me. find the right path while you got the wiggle room.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can I be a lawyer for the video game industry?

Eh? Eh?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    sure.. why the hell not?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    scootch wrote:
    sure.. why the hell not?

Everyone I know works for a firm and not with a particular company/set of companies?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    scootch wrote:
    sure.. why the hell not?

Everyone I know works for a firm and not with a particular company/set of companies?
    just get with a company like rockstar that needs their own 24-hour-on-call team

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote:
    scootch wrote:
    sure.. why the hell not?

But that's the stupid kind of corporate law.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Eh? Eh?

I took a professor last quarter who was the "Unofficial Official Computer Science -> Law School Advisor".

Apparently every year my school pumps out one or two CS majors who go into law school, mostly looking to be software patent lawyers and the like. But if you want to be a general lawyer for the industry, this might be a good way to go.

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote:
    scootch wrote:
    sure.. why the hell not?

But that's the stupid kind of corporate law.
    hey, someone's gotta do it

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Eh? Eh?

I took a professor last quarter who was the "Unofficial Official Computer Science -> Law School Advisor".

Apparently every year my school pumps out one or two CS majors who go into law school, mostly looking to be software patent lawyers and the like. But if you want to be a general lawyer for the industry, this might be a good way to go.

Well, I'll have a degree in International Business (I.E. Marketing and Business) with minors in Physics, Computer Science, and Math.

I was going to be one of the two CS kids, then I realized I hated CS before I figured out I wanted to be a lawyer. Meh.

International Trade is something I have no been able to avoid fixating myself on. I check forecasts constantly, read essays on various practices etc. So I'd probably want to deal with something of that nature.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Marty81 wrote:
    Lach wrote:
    This year I was hired as an intern at a large corporation. I've only been working there for a month, but the grind of working 8 hours a day and commuting to work everyday are not something I'm looking forward to for the next 40 years of my life....This is what led me to consider starting a business. I've read a few books on this topic in the past week and there's one thing that stands out: most successful business people had a passion and found a way to make money from that passion.

Most successful independent business people also work their asses off for their businesses/passions. If you're going to go that route, know that it's not going to be a 40-hour work week.

I'd rather work 60 hours knowing all the fruits of that work will be enjoyed by me and not some exec that doesn't even know my name.

Lach on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    Marty81 wrote:
    Lach wrote:

I'd rather work 60 hours knowing all the benefit goes to me than 40 hours where 1% comes back to me.
    just remember that all the failure and debt goes to you too...

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Unfortunately you can't have greater rewards without increasing your risks.

Lach on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    Marty81 wrote:
    Lach wrote:

I'd rather work 60 hours knowing all the benefit goes to me than 40 hours where 1% comes back to me.

know your risks.. it's not all fun and games. my dad had his own business and he put his life and soul into and it failed. we were financially devestated. we lost everything and lived with no power and heat for a year. we boiled our own water to wash our selves with warm water. caculate your riskes and when you take the plundge make sure you have an "out".

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Woo. Gaming careers.

Yeah. Let's just say I'm in the process of trying to send applications to places. Let's see what the CS degree can really do.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    good luck man.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    Unfortunately you can't have greater rewards without increasing your risks.
    absolutely right. just be smart about it.

t scootch - that really sucks man. i always hate hearing about people who took a risk and had the world kick the shit out of them.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hi, I don't post here very often but I do lurk quite a bit. I've been a tester, designer, and programmer in the game industry for going on 6 years now. Currently I'm a programmer. I've also worked at a few local video game stores. As for the industry, let me give you some advice about our industry...

Don't let the bullshit about the "entertainment" industry fool you, we make, first and foremost, software, and henceforth follow our own paradigm on doing things. You know all those game companies in the 90's that fell through because of Hollywood asshat and asshat wannabees, they didn't realize that. Movie & TV != Games & Software.

Prepare to be unemployed. A lot. Plan on being laid off at least once every two years, and that's if you're lucky. Prepare for the fact that loved ones and those dependent on you might not like this fact and it will cause you stress later in life. Prepare for the fact that contemporaries with similar skill sets in other fields will make more money than you. If you're a designer, go in knowing that your skill set, unlike programmers and artists, and the skills you learn in the game industry are completely useless outside of it.

You don't make games for 'the people', or gamers, or women, or children. You make games for Publishers and Marketing Departments. 99.9% of the time, you will be working on someone else's idea and you will have little sway in changing it. A good 75% of the that time you will be working on an established IP and have little to no power at all over changing things. If you're VERY lucky, you'll get to work on a game that's famous or infamous enough to get made fun of by Penny Arcade.

Programmers are exist to make everyone else's lives easier. If something doesn't work right, it's up to you to fix it. If someone needs a tool, you write it. If you're lucky, you'll be at a reasonable company that will listen to SOME of your input, but you are NOT a designer. However, since only you understand the codebase, you CAN get away with getting features in under the hood.

Artists should never expect a reasonable description of what designers want. Most designers aren't able to communicate their ideas as clearly as they should. In addition, prepare to have to make weird cuts and hacks to your models, whether it be for poly count or gameplay reasons or because some designer doesn't think what you did was 'good enough'. You will never have as many polys or shaders as you like. Get used to it.

If you want to be a programmer, learn how to program in C++ and be able to switch between multiple languages very quickly. If you want to be an artist, learn 3D Studio Max AND Maya, you'll eventually need both anyways. If you want to be a designer, you'll have to learn a little bit of everything, but most of all, learn how to write very well, and take courses in marketing and public speaking and debate if you're not already good at it.

A designer shares a lot in common with a car salesman, you don't have to know everything about a car, just enough to convince people that it's a good car. If you're not a level designer/artist, your job is to convince other people you have a good idea. Once you get past that, then you might get to do some actual game design.

Every designer, artist and programmer I know that comes into the industry wants to make a game, HIS game. Unless you're just that damn good, or just that damn charismatic, you will NEVER get to make the game you want to make. The only way you will ever make that game is to do it yourself and if you're lucky, convince people through speech or money to help you.

Actions speak louder than words. As a designer, you MUST learn how to demo your ideas to be successful. You will find that programmers and artists will sometimes be more successful than you in conveying ideas. Programmers can actually implement their ideas, and artists can usually storyboard them. If you have a gameplay idea, implement it in something, whether in code, with figurines, or with pen and paper. If you have a story sequence idea, create a storyboard. People don't read, but they will look at pictures.

...that's my rather cynical view towards our industry. You do twice the work for half the pay and little recognition. If you're a gamer, and I mean that in the purest sense, you will not enjoy being in the game industry.

It's like sex, sure it feels good and and all, but do would really like it if you had to experience it from your sperm's point of view?

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    scootch wrote:
    Lach wrote:
    Marty81 wrote:
    Lach wrote:

know your risks.. it's not all fun and games. my dad had his own business and he put his life and soul into and it failed. we were financially devestated. we lost everything and lived with no power and heat for a year. we boiled our own water to wash our selves with warm water. caculate your riskes and when you take the plundge make sure you have an "out".

I'm only 22 and I don't have a wife or kids. I think now is as good a time as any for me to be taking risks. And i can always go back to working. I'm pretty responsible with my money so i'll have some money saved before I decide to do anything. If I decide to do anything.

Writing about games seems like a great idea. I think it's something I can work on while I'm working for this company. And if it works out I'll see where it goes.

But i still want to know what all the options are... Maybe the experience I'm getting at this job (it's mostly marketing research and reports) will help me find a job with a company in the game industry.

Lach on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    bah.. no biggie.. it's life.
    I would of been angry if he didn't take the risk, always wondering what it would of been like. atleast he lived.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Artists should never expect a reasonable description of what designers want. Most designers aren't able to communicate their ideas as clearly as they should. In addition, prepare to have to make weird cuts and hacks to your models, whether it be for poly count or gameplay reasons or because some designer doesn't think what you did was 'good enough'. You will never have as many polys or shaders as you like. Get used to it.
    As someone in the industry looking to get into design, i would love to hear more about the common shortcomings of designers. what do designers do wrong when describing what they want? how should they phrase their intentions? im fairly good with getting ideas across (horrible artist, but i know the value of a storyboard), but im always interested in avoiding whatever pitfalls i can.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    scootch wrote:
    Lach wrote:
    Marty81 wrote:
    Lach wrote:

I'm only 22 and I don't have a wife or kids. I think now is as good a time as any for me to be taking risks. And i can always go back to working. I'm pretty responsible with my money so i'll have some money saved before I decide to do anything. If I decide to do anything.

Writing about games seems like a great idea. I think it's something I can work on while I'm working for this company. And if it works out I'll see where it goes.

But i still want to know what all the options are... Maybe the experience I'm getting at this job (it's mostly marketing research and reports) will help me find a job with a company in the game industry.

it's not all just money though. trust and friendship with your friends and family will go a long ways. good luck man and make sure you talk to your family.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    oh, yeah. i moved from michigan to california to start my writing career. ive met with career success, but i left everyone behind. ive made new friends here and all, but you never really get over something like that.

Houk the Namebringer on