As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Digital Camera Advice

BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
An age old question, but I can't seem to find a thread about it, not even in G&T and Moe's Tavern.

My sister lost my digital camera overseas and told me she'd buy me a new one. I don't need anything super highend, but I just need a camera to take out to bars that can take some good low-light photos. My budget is around $300, but I don't really know where to start. She lost my Canon, which I had good luck with. I was just wondering what is the new hot model and brand of camera.

cdmAF00.png
Coran Attack!
Bedigunz on

• RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can get a pretty good camera about the size of a deck of cards for 100 bucks these days, just go to the store, take some shots with the demos and see which one you like best. There's really no point in going much beyond that for what you have in mind.

Robman on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buy the Canon SD-series camera that

1) You find the prettiest
    2) Fits your budget the best

and there you have it. It's quite impossible to go wrong with a Canon SD-series (or most A-series cameras, if you like manual controls for an added bit of bulk).

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've heard good things about Nikon cameras. I messed around with a few cameras at Best Buy but I couldn't really test the lower light settings.

My dad swears by Nikon cameras, but not the digital Nikons, only the older ones with the kodak film. I've had good luck with the canon cameras, but was wondering if there was something better out there.

How does this one look?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+14.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/9766919.p?id=1218170030335&skuId=9766919

I should note that I'll take this camera on my weekend trips as well.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's not bad. This camera will likely have better low light performance, given the slightly less staggering number of pixels crammed onto its sensor.

If you wanted to go whole hog, the Canon S95 is a glorious piece of photographic engineering (it's preposterously good), but may be a lot more camera than you need.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My (sister's) budget is about $250. I don't think I'll be going for the second choice, but I've been looking at this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+14.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/9770402.p?id=1218170522731&skuId=9770402

But it looks a little too fancy for a bar camera

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's a bar camera, you want a cheap, small camera that you can happily stuff in your pocket.

This one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+12.2-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Silver/9774957.p?id=1218171553789&skuId=9774957

Seems to have made people happy. If you want a high quality camera, you're going to want to pick up a digital SLR camera, which will set you back 500-600 bucks for a basic model. Just grab a <100 point and click special.

Robman on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bar camera? I would look for one of those Nikons that are supposed to turn on almost instantly.

MushroomStick on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This topic interests me because I am in the market for a point and shoot.

I like what I see with the Nikon Coolpix

I have an old insignia digital camera and I need something that has two digits for a megapixel count and is thiner.

Is this an alright alternative?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490