As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitor Privacy Screens?

RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My department just got moved and my new office is now much less private than my old one, even worse I now have to sit with my back to the door. I'm thinking about getting some sort of monitor privacy screen (eg http://tinyurl.com/33kgmwf) but I've never used one nor do I know anyone that has used one.

Do they actually work, is there a brand that is better/worse than the others?

Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
Robziel on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My cube-mate has one and yeah, they work pretty good. I'm not sure how it is using it all day every day (he doesn't complain), but I do know I can't see shit unless I'm looking directly at it. Once you get slightly at an angle, it gets really dark. His is a 3M, but I don't know much about what is good or not.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SunDragonSunDragon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I used a 3M one on a previous laptop I had and it worked great. I was working in a high traffic area and it seemed like everyone was always stopping to comment on whatever I had up on my screen. It put an end to all those time consuming interruptions. It will dim the brightness on whatever you are using some, but its not drastic, and I got used to it pretty quick.

SunDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Awesome thank you, sounds like something from 3M is the way to go.

A follow up question, with the stick on screens how easily do they come off? Much of my work is reports for Director's and VP's they like to stop by and see the numbers real time.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd highly recommend not getting the stick on kind, but get the insertion kind. If you have to remove it, your life will be much easier.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Excellent, thank you.

Robziel on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The stick-on ones that I've seen are hinged, so you just flip it up when you want someone to look at the screen, then back down again when you're done.

And I'll echo everyone else: they work fairly well, but do reduce brightness a little bit.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The one my cube-mate uses has large hooks on the edges that go over the top of the monitor, obviously meant for flat panel monitors. He just lifts it up and takes it off when he needs to.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SunDragonSunDragon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My 3m one came with both little "stick directly on the screen" two-sided stickers, and some "stick to the bezel to make it make kinda removable" (its hard to explain). I eventually ended up using both kinds and neither were intrusive or left any marks on the screens.

SunDragon on