As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My PLAYSTATION 3 can't play PLAYSTATION 2 games

winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi folks,

i bought the PS3 a few years back, and just realised that i have the shit version of the console - 40gb HD and can't play PlayStation 2 games (though it does play PSX games)

i want to play MGS 3: Snake Eater but it won't run on my console.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get PS2 games to run on the system? Is there a emulator or patch which can be bought or downloaded from the PS Store online?

Cheers folks.

winter_combat_knight on

• RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PS2 slims are a hundred bucks, we don't talk about emulators here

Robman on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    PS2 slims are a hundred bucks, we don't talk about emulators here

By emulator - i mean 'official sony program/software'

winter_combat_knight on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not all PS3 models have backwards compatibility, and the ones that do have it aren't all created equal. It's been that way forever, there's not really much you can do about it, and Sony's never appeared in the least inclined to change the matter, they've been going in the opposite direction for that matter.

Just go pick up a PS2 slim. $100 is steep for one, for that matter, you can get one used at Gamestop for like $50 and most Gamestops have them coming out of their ears. There's a decent enough short term exchange policy if it's defective when you get it, and for older consoles their protection plan's really not a bad investment, since I've gone through old PS2s like potato chips the last few years and gotten most of them replaced free under it.

Hevach on
  • FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Taking backwards compatibility out of the PS3 was one of the stupidest things Sony did IMO.

Fagatron on
  • AdamBombAdamBomb regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. There's nothing you can do to get your PS3 to run old games, but as people have already said, PS2s are ridiculously cheap these days.

Just hit up Ebay. And get Transformers while you're at it - that game was awesome.

AdamBomb on
    I'll be back for breakfast.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can try GameStop or eBay for a 60GB, as early buyers downgrade to the new model, but probably better off getting a new PS2 Slim.

MichaelLC on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is based on nothing but my own conjecture but I have a feeling they will add it back in - software emulation of the PS2 for ALL PS3 models - if and when their handheld can play PS2 games and it becomes lucrative to allow people to play PS2 games on their PS3 again. Who knows? Maybe when the PSP2 comes out?

The only reason they took out PS2 compatibility was to spur PS3 game sales. Early PS3 adopters were just continuing to buy PS2 games. That shouldn't be a problem anymore.

But to offer a more direct answer to the OP's question:

No.

edit: Source on that, by the way: http://m.kotaku.com/312628/jack-tretton-says-dropping-bc-wasnt-for-cost-measures

It's a Craptaku article, but it is quoting a Wall Street Journal interview with Jack Tretton.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TheFullMetalChickenTheFullMetalChicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Can try GameStop or eBay for a 60GB, as early buyers downgrade to the new model, but probably better off getting a new PS2 Slim.

I have a feeling your not going to be finding any 60gb's unless they are refurbs because people aren't upgrading to the newer versions by trading in their 60's since IMO they were the best version for years with the PS2 hardware and not the software running the PS2 and PSX games.

Just get a PS2 you can find them everywhere new, used, refurbished, slim what ever your little heart wants.

TheFullMetalChicken on