As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Requesting Monitor Help

Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
This is a crosspost from Moe's Tech Shack - if that's a problem a mod can close this - desperation is setting in for me. :)

Hey all -

I have a Samsung 220 WM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001261

Up until a few weeks ago this monitor was a beauty. Then I experienced a motherboard failure and had to send the computer off to the shop for repairs. New Mobo, new vid cards and now the tower is back - but the monitor is failing.

Power is good, when I connect the display adapter (using white DVI cords) the monitor flashes for a split second with my desktop background, then goes black. Hitting input twice brings the image back, but only for a second or two.

Here's where it gets weird from my perspective - the image the monitor is showing is of my desktop background. There are no icons and no mouse pointer for the split second the background is up, and then it flashes to black again. I swapped power cords and DVI input cords to no avail. Tried hooking up the monitor to my wife's computer, get the same background then black. So it's something in the monitor, but I have no idea what. All documentation for the monitor is long gone. Pressing adjustment buttons on the front does nothing.

I looked the case over thoroughly and don't see anything out of place; no damage and no "press this to fix your problem" buttons. The only thing of interest is a small slot on the back which has an icon of a lock with ">|" inside. This leads me to believe that this somehow opens the monitor case - but it could also be for the death ray.

I beseech you for your help. I can go replace the monitor for 130$ or so but I suspect there's an easy fix to this.

Edit: removed some incorrect information. When the monitor flashes on I get my current desktop, with no icons and no mouse movement.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

Chases Street Demons on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The slot near the lock icon doesn't open the monitor. Typically to open it you'll have to unscrew about 5 screws and pop everything apart (it helps to have something like a flat screwdriver to wedge it open). I dunno what's wrong with your monitor, though. When you hooked it up to your wife's computer, you saw your own desktop sans icons? Does it do the same thing if it's not plugged into any computer? Have you tried VGA cables?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's very strange that the monitor displays just the desktop of both computers. I am not sure what to make of that. Try hooking up your wifes monitor to your computer to make sure your computer works. If it does then the monitor needs to be replaces. There really isn't much you can do to fix a monitor. I am unsure of what the lock thing on the back is though. Try fiddling around with the lock and see if perhaps the monitor was in lock mode. Never heard of that but worth a try at this point.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The lock thing at the back more like a spot to attach a lock. Like your standard laptop lock deal.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the help all - my computer works, I hooked up a spare monitor and it's just fine. I changed the cables and everything else I can think of - guess it's time to just get a new monitor.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aioua wrote: »
    The lock thing at the back more like a spot to attach a lock. Like your standard laptop lock deal.

Yeah, it's a Kensington lock slot. It's great to keep people that don't know how scissors work from stealing your monitor.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162