I am throwing around some ideas for a possible game that my regular D&D crew may play as a break. I am wanting to flesh out positions on a starship, with the idea that you have to be licensed in certain areas. Combining ideas from Air Force and Merchant Marine. I have been looking at what positions flight controllers fill at NASA. Now I am looking for more ideas for positions in spaceship. This would be a large ship that carries freight and passengers. Here is what I have for ideas.
- Master of the Ship
First Mate, Executive Officer
- Responsible for safety and security of the entire ship and crew, leads the first watchshift.
Second Mate, Operations Officer
- Chief Officer of the Deck Department, responsible for general day-to-day operations of the ship as well as managing cargo. Leads the second watchshift.
Third Mate, Flight Officer
- Chief Officer of the Flight Department, responsible for navigation, guidance, FTL jumps, piloting & course corrections, atmospheric entries and flight planning. Leads the third watchshift.
- Certified Flight Crew, Lead Pilot - Flight Department
- Certified Flight Crew, Assistant Pilot - Flight Department
- Certified Flight Crew. Responsible for plotting jumps, astrography, spatial positioning. - Flight Department
- Chief Officer of the Engineering Department. Responsible for structural & mechanical frames. EVA specialist.
- Responsible for Propulsion & FTL drives. - Engineering Department
- Responsible for Power Generation, Storage & Distribution - Engineering Department
Sensors Calibration & Flight Command Systems Technician
- Does all the avionics work and manages the sensors. - Flight Department
Information Systems Technician
- Manages all the computer systems. - Engineering Department
Communications Systems Technician
- Runs the communications systems. - Engineering Department
Environmental Control & Life Support Systems Technician
- Does waste, water, air, gravity, heating, ventilation & cooling systems. - Engineering Department
Data Collection & Management Technicia
n - Controls all the data gathering systems and databases. - Engineering Department
- Chief Officer of the Steward Department
- In charge of the cargo loading/unloading operations. Also keeps track of the ship's stores.
What else do you think would be on a spaceship? What other crew positions would there be? Machinist? Electronics engineer? "Space" plumber? Ship's doctor? A ship taking months going place to place would need a completely self-sufficient crew. What other skill sets would you need onboard?