As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neverwinter Nights 2 stuttering and it shouldn't be

orpheusorpheus Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a new computer. Quad AMD and a GTX 470 GPU. There's no reason for Neverwinter Nights 2 to run slowly at all. It actually runs fine in almost every way. The console said it was at 170 FPS. But when my character moves, the terrain stutters like it's going 5 fps. The camera moves fine, pans and rotates with no lag. It's only when my character is moving. In chase cam mode it does it as well, stutters when moving around.

I turned off all graphics settings, set it to run on 1 core only, ran it in windowed mode, nothing affects it.

I don't believe it did this before, I added the GPU and a SSD not long ago. Either one could be the problem. Also it takes a long time for the game to load up just the Atari logo. It should be much faster with the SSD.

Anyone had any problems like this? Thanks ahead of time.

But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!
orpheus on

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The NWN2 vanilla campaign is fucking awful for this. Either turn down the detail settings for the vanilla campaign, or just skip it and go for the expansion packs, which are much better.

Robman on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Robman wrote: »
    The NWN2 vanilla campaign is fucking awful for this. Either turn down the detail settings for the vanilla campaign, or just skip it and go for the expansion packs, which are much better.

There's no reason it should be doing that though. I played NW2 on a decent video card when it came out on high settings with no stuttering at all. I can't help the OP, but at this point in the game, it shouldn't be doing what it is.

Esh on
  • Options
    orpheusorpheus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's working now, it was something with NWN2 telling my graphics card what to do, when I should have my graphics card handling it. I turned off all graphics options in NWN2, then I made a custom profile for nwn2main.exe in the Nvidia utility and turned on all the antialiasing and antitropic filtering or whatever it is. No stuttering. In NWN2 I turned high res textures and bloom and shadows and that back on and it runs fine.

So if you're having any issues revisiting this game with a new card definitely try that.

orpheus on
    But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!