As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dying Power Supply

john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
This started when I removed the memory stick from my desktop to see if a friend's memory was bad. When i put the stick back in, the fans on the power supply were much noisier (the whole case was actually vibrating). I turned it off and checked for any wires caught in a fan and couldn't find any. The vibrating has stopped, but I cant figure out why its so much louder.

The noise seems to make it shut down after a bit. Occasionally, when I first turn it on, the loud sound isn't there, and I get a warning message in my bios that my overclocking has failed. Then it will start up fine, and gets loud in an hour or so. I haven't overclocked my computer at all.

What I'm wondering is if I may have messed up my power supply by removing the memory sticks. I didn't mess with the power at all. Could I have changed a setting somewhere or maybe dust got inside and are screwing a circuit up?

john fechon on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When you removed the memory stick did it come out easily or did you have to *tug*? Static electricity does weird things to computers, not neccessarily 86ing them. In short, it might be the mobo.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I had my hand on the case, so hopefully that would have stopped any static electricity. I've gotten the computer to start up fine twice now. But after a while the power supply fan gets loud. Up to it shutting down, the computer works fine.

I did have to work to get to the stick because of the wires from the drives being all over top of the slots. But it pops right out when you flip the little plastic clasps. That's why I was worried that moving the wires may have done something.

john fechon on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Youl could try for another PS. I went to CompUSA when I thought mine died and returned it easily the next day when I found that it wasn't the problem.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    My last power supply from compUSA burst into flames and took out the motherboard. I'm trying to get as much life out of this computer without replacing anything else. Would it be safe/worth it to pull it out and take it apart to see if anything got knocked around inside, or should i just accept it and get a new one?

john fechon on