Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

British Shows: Watch all the hot new television before it comes to America!

179111213

Posts

  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Has anyone else been watching The Fades on BBC3? It's actually pretty good.

  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    So there's this new show called Life's Too Short. It's pretty incredible.

    etxvv5.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The first episode was a bit rocky. Then Liam Neeson showed up to do improv comedy.



    Yes.

    Page- on
    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated August 18th - Monster Hunting
    stream
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    This show is quickly becoming a favorite. It's got a nice little Extras vibe.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Has Fresh Meat on Channel 4 been mentioned? They just wrapped up the first series and it's a pretty solid comedy/drama from the guys behind Peep Show (also great).

    Lh96QHG.png
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    Life's Too Short has been ok and occasionally very good. But it's not a patch on Rev, the show that precedes it on BBC2.

  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    There are times when Life's Too Short feels like it's treading water till the celebrity cameo. Especially in the first episode. That stuff with the wife was lame. But the cameos have been good enough that everything else is forgiven.

    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated August 18th - Monster Hunting
    stream
  • DeebaserDeebaser Alpha Teemo wawing a note with the cinema code Registered User regular
    Just saw Whites on Hulu. It was pretty good. Also it had Dobby and SuperHans in it, further confirming my theory that there are only 50 working actors in the UK.

  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    There are times when Life's Too Short feels like it's treading water till the celebrity cameo. Especially in the first episode. That stuff with the wife was lame. But the cameos have been good enough that everything else is forgiven.

    Only seen the first episode, but I agree it felt weird, like a mix between The Office and Extras (a lot of Davis' mannerisms seemed like a direct imitation of Gervais as David Brent. There were bits that could've been cut straight from the screenplay for The Office). I think my main problem was that I found it hard to switch off the part of my brain that knows it's a show. Like, The Office works some kind of magic to make you forget, at times, that it's just a TV show and you can actually find yourself treating it and reacting to it like it is the reality show it pretends to be. Extras was aware it wouldn't work twice, so took a more staged approach, but the celebrity cameos were so well-written and acted that that was the part where you would momentarily forget what you were watching, and respond more as if this was actually happening in some way. I guess it's because it's a Gervais/Merchant show, and it's been hyped and publicised, and they star in it as themselves, that I have a hard time switching over from "oh it's a TV show and everyone's acting" to the more enjoyable "oh sweet merciful (deity), this is awkward".

    And then Liam Neeson walks in.

  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I think part if it is the format, part of it is the characters in the first couple of episodes.

    The Office was filmed as a documentary, but used mostly unknown and low-profile actors. Extras was filmed more conventionally, but played directly off of the fame of the actors involved in new and interesting ways.

    Life's Too Short is filmed like The Office, but full of Extras-type characters. If I hadn't already known who Davis was, that he was a real actor who I'd been watching since the 80s, then it would probably seem like it was reaching too far. It needs to do more with its own gimmick, so I'm looking forward to more interaction with showbiz dwarfs. And a Sting cameo.

    Also, the now-required Pilkington cameo.

    Page- on
    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated August 18th - Monster Hunting
    stream
  • WormeyWormey Registered User
    "Has Fresh Meat on Channel 4 been mentioned? They just wrapped up the first series and it's a pretty solid comedy/drama from the guys behind Peep Show (also great)."


    I was just looking up this thread to post that very thing. I've been waiting for such a long time for a decent University comedy (or even drama as this has some genuine pathos) that felt realistic. American set ones almost always seem to do the hazing/frat thing, which I have been told is not actually a ubiquitous part of American student life and so I never understand the need to go back to that well.

    I watched Campus and enjoyed the central romance, but the horribly unfunny vice chancellor who seems to be in every other scene really put me off the program.

    The characters in Fresh Meat aren't really my university experience, but I at least recognize the characters - the druggies (although Vod is pretty much just a female superhans, as you would expect from the Peep Show creators - not that this is a bad thing), pathological liars, tory boys and weirdos.

    Not the best clip, but you tube isn't teeming with them at the moment.

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3Nz17p71yI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo When life gives you lemons... ...eat your delicious lemonsRegistered User regular
    Fresh Meat is excellent. It's very much like the Inbetweeners in that you recognise all of the stories from an entire year attached to just a few main characters (with about three times the amount of sex as actually happens at uni). Walking that line between painfully truths and comedy is tricky, but that is just what the Peep Show writers are so good at.

    I think I'm a few episodes behind actually too. I should get on that.

    (I also enjoy it being set in Manchester. I get too much enjoyment out of spotting familiar locales on TV)

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • WormeyWormey Registered User
    I still haven't watched the Inbetweeners... is it worth it? I always imagined it being a bit like Skins which put me off.

    As a Northerner I also enjoyed it being set on Manchester. Hopefully the BBC might catch up and have a couple more northern set shows too with the move to Media City. They had a painfully embarrassing 'great northern drama' documentary on last night that served largely to highlight that Christopher Eccleston, John Simm and Philip Glenister are the only 'token northerners' (great actors all of course) and reused for just about every northern drama the beeb puts on!

  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Inbetweeners is nothing like Skins, it's more awkward comedy without any pretence at drama. I'd almost say it's got kind of the same sort of spirit as Peepshow, though it's a totally different show.

  • DeebaserDeebaser Alpha Teemo wawing a note with the cinema code Registered User regular
    inbetweeners is like american pie, if american pie were funny.

  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Inbetweeners is excellent, whereas Skins presents teenage life as a stereotypical mess of drugs, booze and sex, Inbetweeners presents teenage more like how it is (albeit an exaggeration), with all the awkwardness and immaturity involved.

    How it compares to Peep show is that you can very much identify with the characters, or know people who similar.

  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo When life gives you lemons... ...eat your delicious lemonsRegistered User regular
    Skins is what you wish your teenage years were like, the Inbetweeners is what it actually was.

    That said, Skins had an excellent first series. After that it kind of lost its way.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Anyone catch Black Mirror this evening? Had an interesting premise. A fictional royal is kidnapped, and will be murdered unless the Prime Minister has sex with a pig.

    I enjoyed the programme, the humour, as you might expect was rather dark.

    Anarchy Rules! on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    Holy shit yes. Black Mirror was really, really good.

    Link, in case anyone missed it
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/4od

  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Parental Unit RemulakRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    The first episode was a bit rocky. Then Liam Neeson showed up to do improv comedy.



    Yes.

    This is amazing.

    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I get by on the knowledge that I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time mucking about inside of my asshole anyway
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo When life gives you lemons... ...eat your delicious lemonsRegistered User regular
    Anyone catch Black Mirror this evening? Had an interesting premise. A fictional royal is kidnapped, and will be murdered unless the Prime Minister has sex with a pig.

    I enjoyed the programme, the humour, as you might expect was rather dark.

    It was really well done. The premise could easily have made everything really silly but it managed to keep a strange veneer of seriousness that made it horrifying. I'll be watching the other two for sure.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SachetSachet Registered User regular
    Despite the tone I wasn't able to overcome the absurdity of the premise. I think his satire is better without a front of seriousness.

  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Anyone catch Black Mirror this evening? Had an interesting premise. A fictional royal is kidnapped, and will be murdered unless the Prime Minister
    Spoiler:

    I enjoyed the programme, the humour, as you might expect was rather dark.

    It was really well done. The premise could easily have made everything really silly but it managed to keep a strange veneer of seriousness that made it horrifying. I'll be watching the other two for sure.

    The premise of
    Spoiler:
    could've come straight out of one of his Comment Is Free articles. Watched it last night and really loved it; every bit as absurd, dark, twisted and thought-provoking as I'd hoped. I think the thing that doesn't always come across when he's making the kind of comments about the nation as he does here and in his articles, is that it's not
    Spoiler:

    Added spoilers for courtesy.

    darleysam on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Dear lord, Black Mirror is strange. Good, but strange.

  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Misfits is back, but nobody noticed?



    Kelly's still the sweetest.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    yotes wrote:
    Misfits is back, but nobody noticed?



    Kelly's still the sweetest.

    Just got into this show last week, really pulled in by the Nazi episode and looking forward to Zombies! next week.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Frozen Planet, is the sort of thing that you really can't complain about your license fee being spent on. Truly excellent television

  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    I could be wrong, but i think the last episode, the one about global warming, isn't being shown in the US. For some reason.

  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I heard about that, some places are reporting it that it's because of the global warming, whilst other places have said it's because Attenborough's on screen a lot in that episode, and he's usually dubbed over in American versions of the his nature programmes

  • TexiKenTexiKen Was it Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said, Registered User regular
    Just started watching Whites on Hulu this week, decent show. Not as funny as Saxondale or Peep Show or the Trip, but it's got a nice subtle humor about it and an interesting concept dealing with chefs. Bib is great (also liked his character on Saxondale), Skoose is the worst, and Kiki is delightful in being dumb but at the same time knocking the chef's egos down a peg.

    A shame there is only 6 episodes.

    corel309-Copy_zps0390a6cc.jpg
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    Here's a lovely little thing with David Attenborough

  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Why would you want to dub over Attenborough?

    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549 AC:NL Trading List
    sig.gif
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    I heard about that, some places are reporting it that it's because of the global warming, whilst other places have said it's because Attenborough's on screen a lot in that episode, and he's usually dubbed over in American versions of the his nature programmes

    It's not the only episode he's onscreen. And yeah, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job of the voiceover than he does. He is authoritative without being dry, engaging without pandering, and basically the most convincing candidate for Greatest Living Englishman.

  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I've also definitely seen him on other BBCA documentaries.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote:
    I heard about that, some places are reporting it that it's because of the global warming, whilst other places have said it's because Attenborough's on screen a lot in that episode, and he's usually dubbed over in American versions of the his nature programmes

    It's not the only episode he's onscreen. And yeah, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job of the voiceover than he does. He is authoritative without being dry, engaging without pandering, and basically the most convincing candidate for Greatest Living Englishman.

    I thought they used Sigourney Weaver as the voice-over in the American broadcast.

    I guess in return, we should get Jason Manford to dub over The Wire?

  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Luther is what every crime/thriller/procedural should be.

  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    yotes wrote:
    Misfits is back, but nobody noticed?



    Kelly's still the sweetest.

    I totally forgot about Misfits coming back.

    New season is dope.

  • Most of these are old messages so I won't quote them. But there was discussion about I'm Alan Partridge earlier in the thread. I've seen the odd clip on television or YouTube and it looked funny. So I got the DVD box set six months ago.

    Man, this is...not good. In fairness, I only managed to get through Knowing Me, Knowing You (the series before I'm Alan Partridge). I had to really force myself to get through that. It wasn't bad but it was thoroughly middling. Maybe one day I'll manage to watch some of the I'm Alan Partridge episodes. I've skimmed and it looks alright and there certainly funny and clever bits but not worthy of all the praise that's heaped upon it.

    And then people talking about Blackadder and The Young Ones or whatever. I've never seen of that but I understand that a lot of the American populace gets their exposure to British television from PBS. This is why my mother thinks that people in England still watch Benny Hill and Keeping up Appearances. They're showing old shows, on PBS. All the shows I mentioned in this paragraph are at least 15 years old.

    British television in general is ultimately disappointing. I remember when I first came to England circa 2005, I was really excited. "There's going to be boobs!". You know, because you expect European tv to have a lot of gratuitous nudity. And indeed, from my limited experience, television in continental Europe does feature a fair amount of full frontal nudity. So I went television shopping with a boner.

    But as it turns out, there isn't nudity. Nothing like I expected, certainly. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw any nudity on television. If there's a mainstream film that has nudity in it, they'll show it. But I can't recall any that I've seen offhand.

    There was a show called Eurotrash and I remember seeing the odd breast there. But that show ended in 2007. And it wasn't exactly anything you could get off to. You'd have to time your erection just right for that split second where they might show a nipple.

    But no mainstream shows have nudity. Or any shows. Hell, they even have these like...I think they're like chatlines or something. So they have women on there telling you to call in because they're really horny. It's like an infomercial...goes on for ages. They have whole channels dedicated to this stuff, I think. Or used to. But the women aren't even nude. They're scantily clad. And I don't even know if they still have these things. I haven't seen them in years but I'm not seeking it out.

    Maybe four years ago, a channel called Film 4 came to a cable-like-thing called Freeview. They had some good stuff on there in these early days. Art films and shit. Like I remember they showed all of Andy Warhol's films: I saw Flesh, Trash, Heat and Frankenstein through this. Flesh is just some naked dude on a couch for 90 minutes. Let's see that on American tv. I'm into the ladies, but it was still cool to be able to watch this on fucking television. Trash, Heat and Frankenstein were much the same but increasingly less naked man (the same guy was in all the films) and increasingly more story.

    Now, Film 4 just shows mainstream shit. Let's see what's on now...The Happening. Then Street Kings. Never heard of them. Both from 2008. Probably total shit. And no nudity.

    I don't get why there isn't loads of nudity. I mean, they can show it. There's no law against it, after all. It's crazy. I'm not talking hardcore porn. But there's so much that you can do. Just look at some of those wacky nude gameshows from Europe or South America, for example. Wouldn't that stuff be a big ratings winner? Although, I guess a problem is finding stroke-worthy contestants in England.

    I didn't mean to go on about nudity for so long. So yeah, British television...there's a lot of crap. And the shows are usually like six episodes. It's not in the US where shows go on forever at 13 or whatever episodes a year.

    Although, saying that there's little to no reruns. I mean, they'll show Simpsons and Dad's Army reruns and whatever but the vast majority of the television schedule on the five major networks is new product. You get a lot of shit filler, though. Panel "comedy" shows. Those are awful. Loads of property buying shows. Also awful. Long, dragged out gameshows.

    Oh man, and you won't believe some of these gameshows. There are gameshows where the "grandprize" is £1000. Or in the case of one long-running gameshow, the grandprize is literally a tea pot. And it's not presented as a joke. That's the prize and people are happy to get it.

    So the budgets are really low and it shows. But that's not always bad. Compare the British Deal or No Deal to the American version. The American version is hokey, over-blown, ridiculous, pure shit. And Howie Mandel is horrendous. The British version is also bad but it's much more down to earth.

    Or Big Brother. I don't know what the prize is in the US version because nobody watches it. But in the British version, it's something laughable like £50,000. Probably less in this most recent and poorly-received series.

    Oh, yeah, you could see some boobs on Big Brother. I remember that. But again, it seems that they've been downplaying in recent years. I didn't watch this year's version but last year, I don't recall any nudity. And why the hell not? It's legal. Wouldn't they get a lot of viewers? It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. What's wrong with these network executives?

    I mean, I bet in the Dutch version of Big Brother, there's footage of a chick taking a shower for a full five minutes. I've seen examples on the internet, actually. But in the UK, nothing. They wear bathing suits in the shower and there's no cameras in the showers anyway. Ridiculous.

    So in conclusion, don't expect to see breasts on British television. Although, I do like that they allow profanity. It's not all bleeped out to protect children and religious fanatics.

  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    That is an awful lot of post for what is essentially a desire to see more tits on tv.

    You're also wrong about alan partridge. His show was great. You're wrong about pretty much everything, in fact

  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    Oh man, and you won't believe some of these gameshows. There are gameshows where the "grandprize" is £1000. Or in the case of one long-running gameshow, the grandprize is literally a tea pot. And it's not presented as a joke. That's the prize and people are happy to get it.

    ...so?
    Panel "comedy" shows. Those are awful.

    QI is the best thing ever.

Sign In or Register to comment.