As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New PATV - Ledo and Ix: Episode 1

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
Hi Guys,

As promised we are introducing a new show into our line up, The Adventures of Ledo and Ix!

The Adventures of Ledo and Ix uses the visual vocabulary of retro video games to explore the human fear of both the unknown and the known. In this episode, Ix asks Ledo some general questions. Created by Emily Carmichael and Josh Hetzler.

ledo101-splash.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/ledo-and-ix/101/

Enjoy!

Älphämönkëy on

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well that sure was a thing

i don't know what i'm supposed to think

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is this in addition to or replacing the friday update?

Bedlam on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Given the wednesdayness of today. I would imagine the former.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel like either I'm too dumb to get this, or there was nothing to get.

Kane Red Robe on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    my guess is that this is supposed to be carried a lot by nostalgia?

If that is the case then I guess I get it but don't like it. If there is supposed to be something else there however then either it hasn't been shown yet or it is something my eyes cannot see

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, I don't think it's supposed to be funny, but it wasn't really anything else either. I wanna say it's probably part of a bigger story but there didn't seem to be any effort to set anything up or draw anyone in.

You know what would be funny? If blip.tv removed this because they thought it was a video game recording without voice commentary. It's in their rules and they've been known to take those down.

Adus on
  • ragnarhedinragnarhedin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really liked it, it had a number of existential questions laid out or implied. I would watch more of this for sure.

ragnarhedin on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there didn't appear to be a whole lot of substance in this

being what is essentially an animated sprite-comic really doesn't add anything visual

maybe it just isn't for me

Squall on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It was interesting. In an odd fashion.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EDIT: Redacted because I think I was being too harsh. I can't say that I enjoyed it or got it though.

Butler on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I take it as an introduction. We'll see what happens next.

Goose! on
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like Ledo and Ix.
    Edit: Link redacted + thank you PA for putting them all together in complete chapters.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I dont want to declare this as bad right off the bat. It started off quite well, and I liked the tree chopping scene - but everything else was fairly poor.

I mean, I sat there waiting to see where Ledo had gone, and the pay off was just not good.

But, I will watch the next one.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2011
    It's certainly not meant to be funny, but give it time. It may grow on you, as it did for us. re: Tleilaxu, those are actually just the first episode and a half chopped up into tiny bits - new content is being created as we speak.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This seems neat

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay this one was fairly funny. -> http://ledoandix.thecomicseries.com/comics/12

I can't believe the PATV episode was all of season 1. One of the episodes in Season 1 on the Ledo and Ix website is just the mountain scene. Seperated up into tiny chunks like that, it is just not for me.

But, I will watch the next episode on PATV, assuming it is the same length.

Then I'll judge.

Maybe.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Yes, the PATV episodes will be full length, as opposed to the short clips. Also, the duo that did this series has a film playing at Sundance this month:

http://kidcandrive.com/thehunterandtheswan.html

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • spvathspvath Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I quite enjoyed that, actually. I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes us. Kudos!

spvath on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    The only thing that really bothered me about this was techical issues with the artwork, things like some of their tiling textures not tile well at all. Technical stuff in the spoiler on how to fix it, if they're interested
    In the first and last scenes, they used what appeared to be the photoshop bevel layer style to get the rock tiling sprite to appear dimensional, but that doesn't work well for a tiling texture - you have to oversize the document, apply the layer style, flatten the layer and crop it to size, then use offset to fix any issues needed. Using a transitional texture for the edges of the road would help blend the two together and is easy to make. Essentially, spending a few more minutes on creating assets you can use over and over again that don't have simple to fix problems would help detract attention from "errors" in the art and help keep the audience focused more on the story itself.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked this instantly. The medium doesn't really matter at all, which is a good thing. I am used to it as such a vague and non-descript media that I am at a loss to question it's value/lack thereof and am only drawn to the story itself, which was not plot intensive but nevertheless interesting. I guess since I am not an arty type I did not notice Rank's qualm at all.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • zombiefriendzombiefriend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Like mostly everyone else, I don't really understand this. I may be over-thinking it. But I'll definitely keep watching, and see where this goes.

Also, is Ix supposed to have a green tail??

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just saw this as introducing the characters. Nothing wrong with this one, as it has me wanting to see the next one to see where it's going.

Javen on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    introducing them and also some neato no-world with weird music

I liked when ledo went back to check and the music kicked in again

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I dug this quite a bit actually. A total change of pace of PATV, that's for sure. I'm definitely excited to see more!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can people who liked this explain why? Not trying to be rude or anything; I'm genuinely curious.

Adus on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This seems like something I would have instantly disregarded otherwise, but if it comes with the PA team's recommendation I will give it a chance.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    can't judge on this first episode. you can tell it's sliced up, as each scene had a nice joke. But taken as a complete episode, it doesn't pay off. But taken as a series, I can wait and see where it goes.

so, so far so good.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's certainly not meant to be funny, but give it time. It may grow on you, as it did for us. re: Tleilaxu, those are actually just the first episode and a half chopped up into tiny bits - new content is being created as we speak.

Oh wow. I should have pressed play on the PATV version... this makes me very happy.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
    edited January 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    Can people who liked this explain why? Not trying to be rude or anything; I'm genuinely curious.
    take it as 10 comics spliced together. some had good punchlines, some didn't. The second comic isn't foreshadowing to anything so don't be disappointed that it doesn't come up again.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • zfleemanzfleeman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked the length of the episode, but it wasn't enough for me to pass judgement. I'm interested enough to keep coming back, though.

zfleeman on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This seems neat, however as others have pointed out its hard to determine much based off this small bit.

Lagnar on
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It is kind of like Garden State... or one of those mumblecore movies... I guess. I kind of enjoyed it. I think?

GRMike on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't like the art, because it is essentially a sprite comic without any bells and whistles whatsoever

But I kind of liked the story? I guess?

I don't see how "existential" it's going to get, but if it comes with a PA endorsement I'll give it more of a chance

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited January 2011
    you know what else is a sprite comic?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    you know what else is a sprite comic?

There is a difference between that and what is on display here, you know!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited January 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    I may not strike you as the most...objective source, but all the same I really liked it. Mainly because I immediately bought into the relationship between these two characters. With very little input and very little time, I felt like I understood far more than I probably do about who they are, and more importantly, who they are to each other. Because I understood the significance they had to each other, suddenly they became significant to me.

This was my first experience into the world...I hadn't seen any videos before today, but I'm pretty excited to see where it goes.

David Coffman on
    edited January 2011
    YEAH DAVE KEEP TOUTING THE COMPANY LINE

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    khoo I think it's "towing"

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    is it? did i just mess up?

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll give the second episode a chance, but I found the first one to be boring to the point of being quite maddening. Is the concept to stick Philo 101 questions into an RPG setting and just leave them there? I mean I guess it's "artistic" in a modern art way, but I can't say I like it very much.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
This discussion has been closed.