As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggestions for cool and free Android apps?

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
EDIT: Got the HTC Desire.

Now I need you good people to give me suggestions for cool apps, preferably free.

Go!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While I like my Samsung Vibrant a lot, Samsung is a shitty ass company about upgrades. I'm still stuck on 2.1 with no end in sight because they suck. Plus the GPS is pretty shitty.

shadowane on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Desire Z. I like HTC UI better and like Shadowane said, Samsung sucks when it comes to updating android. Constantly hear complains about it.

Why not consider the Windows 7 phone?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Galaxy S is a better phone.

the 2.2 update came out last month but had bugs and was bricking some phones. Bell/Samsung/Google pulled it to make sure nothing bad happened.

Unless your wife is geeky tech savvy, the 'lack of updates' won't matter to her.

My wife LOVES her Galaxy S. I was going to get her an iphone but she was sold on the Galaxy S by a demo of it.

Serpent on
  • Options
    harry.timbershaftharry.timbershaft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't speak to the specific models, but in terms of hardware, I'm still rocking an HTC Eris (with 2.1) and it is solid. UI is great too.

harry.timbershaft on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Both are good. I absolutely love my HTC Desire, but I've also tried the Samsung Galaxy and it was just as fun. I believe HTC has the slight advantage in that they update rather more frequently than Samsung, but theoritically it makes no difference if, as mentioned earlier, the person getting the phone is not tech savvy.

An alternative task to undertake then is to compare specification on the website, but other than that just go with what you like the most, and enjoy the wonderful Android experience.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess an important consideration here is that I will also be using the phone, and I AM tech-savvy.

Dodgy GPS is also very important. If the Galaxy has poor GPS performance, than it's pretty much out of the running. I've seen this around, can anyone confirm?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My Nexus S does fine. I had one instance yesterday when it got super confused for about 15 minutes, but a reboot fixed it.

Anyway, I had an Eris and a G1 as well and I'd definitely buy an HTC again, <3 them. I probably will when I return to the states for a good while. Too much traveling at the moment though and hey, Nexus S is worldwide!

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess an important consideration here is that I will also be using the phone, and I AM tech-savvy.

Dodgy GPS is also very important. If the Galaxy has poor GPS performance, than it's pretty much out of the running. I've seen this around, can anyone confirm?

I don't know about anyone else, but my Vibrant has about a 25% chance of finding me using the GPS when out and about. It's a huge pain in the ass when trying to get the maps to the correct place. Just my experience though.

shadowane on
  • Options
    BourneBourne Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I personally like HTC over Samsung. I sold cell phones for a couple of years, and after handling many different models from both companies I've grown to like HTC better. Samsung phones always feel cheap to me, and I used to have so many complaints about their touch screens. HTC has had its own share of hardware issues, but nothing like what I dealt with from Samsung.

Bourne on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    give of ourselves...
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, so we've decided on the HTC, mainly due to the possibility that the GPS on the Samsung may suck.

I am happy with this decision, I just needed ammo to shoot down the Samsung.

Thanks!

Descendant X on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, so we've decided on the HTC, mainly due to the possibility that the GPS on the Samsung may suck.

I am happy with this decision, I just needed ammo to shoot down the Samsung.

Thanks!

Nice choice. What models did you get? I guess I'm kind of a hypocrit seeing as I just got a samsung focus, but I got it mostly for the new windows OS. You'll be super happy with your HTC's. I love the menu screens.

Bourne on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    give of ourselves...
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We got the HTC Desire.

It ended up costing us $40, because Telus decided to start charging $49 for the phone today. I made a statement to the sales man that I could get the phone for $4 at Bell (which is true) and he ended up knocking off the activation fee and charging the price of the phone minus the difference between the phone and the activation fee.

The phone is pretty cool. Now I suppose that I need suggestions for cool (and free) apps. Title edit!

Descendant X on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cool/free apps?

Games
    Angry Birds
    SliceIt
    OpenTyrian
    WordFeud
    Alchemy
    Jewels Online
    Dweller

System/helpful apps
    Dropbox
    Auto Rotate Widget
    Linda Manager
    Gingerbread Keyboard
    AlarmDroid
    Watchdog Lite
    Battstatt
    Clockr

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Addition game: Cestos2

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Abduction
    Throttle copter

Yelp
    Police scanner
    Metal detector

Bourne on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    give of ourselves...
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bump: If you have other friends with Android phones this makes it decently easy to share apps and pics.
    ChompSMS: I didn't particularly like the HTC messaging service, chomp has been my favorite so far.
    Fandango: Movie app.
    Google Goggles: Really all the google apps (maps, talk, etc)
    Barcode Scanner: Again self explanatory.

A side note not related to apps.
    If this is your first smart phone you're going to have battery life shock. I don't use the phone as a vital life line to my e-mail so I found that if you turn off the data connection on the phone when it's just sitting in your pocket you will save a boatload of battery time. Hold the power button until the menu pops up and toggle off Mobile Data Network. When you want to use your data connection again just toggle it back on in the same way.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apps:

Barcode (paired with shopper you can go to a store, scan a bar code and see what the average price is)
    Gasbuddy - uses your GPS location and finds reported gas prices at gas stations closest to you
    Bubble - never know when you need a level! Like when hanging a picture.
    Uninstaller - Makes sure when you dont want an app it is completely removed.

Others:
    Solitaire
    ONN - onion news network
    Super Sudoku
    Ebuddy - If you have/like instant messager
    TuneIn Radio - it's not bad, if you dont mind the buffering... plays alot of various radio stations
    Bubble Buster

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Urban Spoon is awesome.
    Also - get a Light App. I use TeslaLED
    Amazon Kindle
    QuickOffice
    UPS Mobile
    Pandora
    LastFM

Also for Battery life, turn your brightness all the way down in your settings. The screen eats tons of energy. You won't miss the brightness factor.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tricorder, works better as an wifi scanner and the other features are cool.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tricorder, works better as an wifi scanner and the other features are cool.

I am not above saying that I used this solely for the nerd factor......

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh another handy app is Yellow Pages.

You just never know!

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png