As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE OMEGA COLLECTION CONTEST!**RULES ADDED**

GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
edited March 2005 in PAX Archive
http://www.penny-arcade.com/pax/contest/

Someone will win this incredible collection at PAX this year!

We've posted the rules for winning here:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/pax/rules.htm

Gabriel on

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Did someone donate their entire collection or did y'all assemble it?

Dynagrip on
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited May 2004
    Whoa! :shock:

That is an obscene amount of stuff that can be won by just one person...

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    And the Lord gaveth gamers a grand bounty of games, and He did grin, and it was good. Amen.

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • WupideedooWupideedoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Not complaining, just observing:

All those PS2 games and accessories, but no PS2?

Not one thing Xbox?

Wupideedoo on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Wupideedoo
    consoleswsig1.png
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2004
    Holy shit.

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2004
    Fuck. Now I'm actually contemplating going.

How much are plane tickets/hotel fare?

Garlic Bread on
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited May 2004
    Wupideedoo wrote:
    Not complaining, just observing:
    All those PS2 games and accessories, but no PS2?
    Not one thing Xbox?
    Oh, and we're not done adding stuff to the collection so keep an eye on that page for more games and hardware.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    So...

Is this going to be decided by a drawing?

Tournament?

Bikini Wrestling in Creamed-Corn?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    If it's a Mario Kart : DD tournament, I shall Blue Spark my way to this prize.
    FOR RIZZLE!!

Caswynben on
  • sage_ich_nichtsage_ich_nicht Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    "Worst. Collection. Ever. NEXT!"

sage_ich_nicht on
    "Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist.
    Children already know that monsters exist.
    Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed."

G. K. Chesterton
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Holy crap. I hope that is some uber-door-prize or something, because that way i won't have to dedicate myself to training for Game X to have a hope of getting it.

Speaking of which, how can we win this? (and if you don't want to let on, can you maybe tell us when we'll know?)

de4dmeta1 on
  • SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    *fapfapfap*

Spookymikal on
    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    I was thinking "God damn, that would be a sweet collection to have."

Then I saw the Kongas and SHAT MYSELF.

Twice.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited May 2004
    we will be adding A PS2 along with an XBox anda bunch og games.

As far as what you need to do to win it, we will announce the rules soon. You will have to be at PAX though if you want a shot at it:)

Gabriel on
  • KruleKrule Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    I wont' have to like...u know..mud wrestle some big norweigan guy to win this will i?

Nor will I have to compete at SSBM (I dont want to lose to a girl :'( )

Krule on
  • jameswaferjameswafer Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Now I just want to cry because if there was anyway in hell I could get to PAX I would so be there especially now but unfortunately there aint.

jameswafer on
  • DrakenulDrakenul Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    There is no emoticon to express how far my jaw fell when I saw what's up now. There will no way to express myself at all should I win, for I will be passed out after hyperventilating.

One thing though, does the winner get it shipped back home with them, or do they have to physically schlep it home with them (especially since I'm flying both ways)?

Drakenul on
  • Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Now I am trying hard to earn my signature. Maybe too hrad. But let me tell you what I juwst did, with out trying to be interesting.

I live in a basement. The basement has three rooms and a room built into the garage. I live with (1) one old lady (1) one oother lady who is in her 20's and obese as a truck and ugly stick beaten, but very sweet. Also there is a foriegn chinese man that lives in the garage. Above me there is a family of four. The Family that owns one of the local CHinese Take out joints.

When I saw that collection I squeeled for at least a whole sxty seconds. It is midnight. I might have woken everyone. I squeeled like I was loosing my virginity.

Puerto Rock on
  • KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Goddamn.. Must.. get to.. Seattle... The train again. I swear, if I get on that train, and I hear that guy that was puking in the seat all night, I swear, the stabbin' will happen.

Even though my ultimite dream would be going to PAX and getting my ass kicked by nerds... Hmm...

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    I wont' have to like...u know..mud wrestle some big norweigan guy to win this will i?

If you're not willing to wrestle one of those Norweigan bodybuilder fucks from Sunday morning ESPN in blinding cold in your underwear for all that swag then you don't deserve it!

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • jameswaferjameswafer Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Karf wrote:
    Goddamn.. Must.. get to.. Seattle... The train again. I swear, if I get on that train, and I hear that guy that was puking in the seat all night, I swear, the stabbin' will happen.

Even though my ultimite dream would be going to PAX and getting my ass kicked by nerds... Hmm...

Well just think u guys actually have a chance o gettin to PAX whereas I live in New Zealand am a student and by the end of 04 my 1st year of study will owe the government about $10K NZ. So the chances of me being able to win a prize that you have to be there to win are about zero to none.

jameswafer on
  • WizToastWizToast Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Are we allowed to "steal" the collection?

WizToast on
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    WizToast wrote:
    Are we allowed to "steal" the collection?

And by "steal," you mean steal, right?

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Winning all of that shit would put me into a fucking coma.

Liquid Ghost on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2004
    :shock: *changes pants* :shock:

Unknown User on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2004
    Oh. My. Fucking. God.

Red Machine D on
  • B_FHB_FH Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Am I allowed to have sex with the collection without actually WINNING it? :D

B_FH on
    [Place holder for a real sig]
    After awhile 'door' doesn't look like a word anymore
    edited May 2004
    Joon wrote:

If you're not willing to wrestle one of those Norweigan bodybuilder fucks from Sunday morning ESPN in blinding cold in your underwear for all that swag then you don't deserve it!

Oh, I didn't say I wasn't willing to do it. I would just rather..you know..not.

Krule on
    edited May 2004
    Second Prize:

An Autographed Comic

Krule on
    edited May 2004
    Krule wrote:
    Second Prize:

An Autographed Comic
    Third Prize:

You're Fired

...sorry, just had to get my mind off JESUS FUCKING GIANT COLLECTION OF GAMING HOLINESS AND ORGASM...

Red Machine D on
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Oh, I didn't say I wasn't willing to do it. I would just rather..you know..not.

Sucks for you then! I'm already looking for burly men in my town that will let me beat them senseless in a meat locker. While you're twiddling your thumbs I'm getting in practice!

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    It should eliminate people based off of their cumulative score. For each event each person is awarded points for their placing. First is worth 20 points, second 19... and so on. After each round the people with the lowest cumulative score are eliminated. This ensures that actual ability comes into play, as the current system would allow someone to make it to the finals merely by coming in one place above the person who is eliminated instead of actually doing well at anything, while the other finalist might have come in first at every single event. Right now, people won't be competing to win the events, they'll merely compete to stay alive. If you reward effort, it'll make for a more interesting event. Having a cumulative score will be akin to a marathon, as performance is important at the start and at the finish. The name of the event itself (Omegathon) is clearly in reference to a marathon, triathlon, or pentathlon which would be better emulated by cumulative scores instead of this reality-TV inspired "Only do as well as you have to" system.

Third round is going to be great; putting two competitors on the same team in a game that if either person doesn't know how to play they both will be royally screwed. Ooh the drama and pain when you get paired up with armless Joe despite being the world's top ranked DDR, Doom, and Halo player! Fourth round is also going to be funny to watch, since I'd bet at least six of the eight people will have never played DDR more than once, and even then only as a joke.

Nice concept, but a couple of the events and the elimination process is far too random to be much more than a two-day raffle.

Fall on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Will those of us who have signed up for Media Passes still be eligible? Or must you purchase a two-day pass?

Also: Jeebus fucking christ, Fall, would you like to complain some more? Oh, I'm sorry that these people have put together a contest to give away over FIFTEEEN FUCKING THOUSAND dollars worth gaming goodness and the way in which they choose to give it away doesn't meet with your approval. Why don't you go make your own fucking contest with $15k worth of stuff to give away. Then you can make the rules how you want.

Asshat.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2004
    Anyone who is being comp'd is not eligible for the OMEGATHON.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Well, shucks.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited May 2004
    RANDOM SELECTION

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EDIT: Also, what in the fuck is Diceland.

Borfase on
    edited May 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    RANDOM SELECTION

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I echo this, because I can now pass Paranoia Survivor Max and The Legend of MAX.

edit: It's not like any of you are going to beat me at DDR anyways.

editedit: Shut up, Fall.

Red Machine D on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Yeah...Random Selection... :?

Everything else is fine.

I just wish that there was some other way so everyone has a chance to compete in it instead of a chance at a chance to. But whatever...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited May 2004
    It would be more fair if there was a way to organize some sort of qualifier round for the whole thing. With random selection there's a good chance you'll just choose a bunch of chumps. With a qualifier, you know you've got the best of the best competing to win such a fabulous prize. A prize of this magnitude should not be left to random selection whatsoever.

Borfase on
    edited May 2004
    OK.

Qualifier: Best of the best. Guys that know the games, can do well, and all have a good shot of winning. Parity. The race is on.

Random selection: People who know what they're doing up against "OMG YUO=FAG0T!!!!!!111111111". Winners are obvious, and the competition loses all attention-drawing qualities. Boat race.

edit: Everytime you decide to use random selection, God turns a homp into a pomp. Please, think of the homps.

Red Machine D on