As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: Season 6 Is Now

1535455565759»

• Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Season 1: Probably about the same, quality wise, as Fear Her, but with fucking, saying fuck, and shooting people.

Season 2: Better than Fear Her, probably closer in Who quality to that episode where a robot version of The Weakest Link is played.

Seasons 1 & 2 are trashy. Season 1 especially. Goofy, thin, gleeful trash.

I don't really rewatch Torchwood S1/S2, mostly because it's not good trash, and if I want to watch stupid shit, there's plenty of other shows that fill that need better (True Blood, Spartacus, The Tudors.)

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Oh come on it's not that bad. It's better than V, for comparison

Getting over a very low bar isn't something to brag about. There's no reason to watch it unless you're a Who completist or the kind of person who will watch anything as long as it fits into a particular genre.

Bogart on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I liked the the gauntlets. They need to do an episode where they run into whoever made them.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Just saw Waters of Mars again, and it really hit me how little the Doctor cared about the fact that he saved two lives. You'd think he'd at least be happy about having such a cute girl in his debt if not about his being mostly successful in his rescue effort.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He was only interested in that he had (presumably) broken the laws of time successfully, the actual rescuing of the person was secondary to him, and it didn't hit him until after she shot herself

I think Waters of Mars worked so well because we see without a human companion to keep him grounded, the Doctor really begins to lose touch with the importance of life and morality

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    He was only interested in that he had (presumably) broken the laws of time successfully, the actual rescuing of the person was secondary to him, and it didn't hit him until after she shot herself

I think Waters of Mars worked so well because we see without a human companion to keep him grounded, the Doctor really begins to lose touch with the importance of life and morality

But he broke the laws of time for the other two.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

But he broke the laws of time for the other two.

The commander and the station nuke were the fixed point. The other people weren't.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With regards to the 'Pull to Open' thing on the Tardis door, isn't that in reference to opening the panel that contains the phone in 'The Empty Child' rather than the doors?

Maybe I just got it wrong...

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure 'Pull to Open' is in regards to the phone's panel rather then the door. The inside of the police box isn't meant to be used by members of the public.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's probably meant to be a bit of whimsy: ostensibly, the sign refers to the phone panel, but the TARDIS herself insists it's referring to the doors. It's a bit of that fun Doctor Who "casually look at it another way" sort of thing. There's probably a word for it.

It's why I love the show anyway.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the Tardis is wrong about her own doors :D

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nope, the rest of the world is wrong about the intended meaning of the TARDIS' doors :D

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure 'Pull to Open' is in regards to the phone's panel rather then the door. The inside of the police box isn't meant to be used by members of the public.
    While true, it is also true that the things did open outwards, basically because there's no room in a real police box to fit everything that's supposed to be there (up to two officers (seated), spare helmets, truncheons, and cuffs for same, typewriter for reports, and tea. Lots of tea) and have room to swing a door in(ward).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did anyone notice that we just aired part one of a two-parter, and no one seems to care?

This does not speak well of the writer.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did anyone notice that we just aired part one of a two-parter, and no one seems to care?

What do you mean nobody cares?

I thought the first part was great. Well-written, well-acted, good pacing, and a constant healthy dose of suspense.

Quite looking forward to the conclusion.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Trust wrote: »
    With regards to the 'Pull to Open' thing on the Tardis door, isn't that in reference to opening the panel that contains the phone in 'The Empty Child' rather than the doors?

It says no such thing!
    BadWolfTardisDoor.jpg

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

What do you mean nobody cares?

I thought the first part was great. Well-written, well-acted, good pacing, and a constant healthy dose of suspense.

Quite looking forward to the conclusion.

Yeah, it's really kind of hard to form a solid opinion of a story when you only have half of it. I enjoyed it, I like Matthew Graham's work and I'm looking forward to the next bit.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gillan is going around saying it's a hell of an ending and leads straight into A Good Man Goes to War.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    and that's the end of the first half of this series right?

Daxon on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    British television doesn't have mid season breaks, so whilst being the first 6 episodes, the series will continue weekly until the finale.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    pretty sure it's a special case this year and they're testing splitting it out over more of the year so there isn't a year long wait between each series.

I just checked. IMDB concurs. Break after episode 7 until 3 September 2011 when it'll start up again.

Daxon on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Indeed. A Good Man Goes to War (episode 7) is the first part of a two-parter, with the second in the fall. In the meantime, we get Torchwood. I don't think a date for the second half has been announced; IMDB is probably guessing. Then I suppose we get the episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures that were filmed, and then the Christmas special.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My girlfriend doesn't know about the split. And I'm not gonna tell her. Just to see what the reaction is when "Coming in September" flashes on the screen.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So it does. That's a bit disappointing.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    British television doesn't have mid season breaks, so whilst being the first 6 episodes, the series will continue weekly until the finale.
    Doctor Who, series 6 does. Episode 7 is A Good Man Goes to War, part one of a two-parter, and it will end with a "game-changing cliffhanger". Being run by the massive tease that is Steven Moffat, part two will air in September, along with the final five episodes of series 6. (Beeb press release, Guardian article with Moffat quotes)

It also has the very welcome side-effect of meaning there won't be such a huge gap between the end of the series proper and the Christmas special.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay, here's the question. Is watching the average episode of Torchwood better or worse than watching Fear Her?

Much better. I'd say the typical episode of Torchwood is somewhere along the lines of The Lazarus Experiment in quality.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »
    Trust wrote: »

It says no such thing!
    BadWolfTardisDoor.jpg

I loved that scene. It is a rare thing to see the translation circuit bug out. I wish it would break at some point when they are on an alien world.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The translation circuit is still working, but it only translates into some incomprehensible dead language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7osGfFTQVtU

override367 on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The translation circuit is still working, but it only translates into some incomprehensible dead language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7osGfFTQVtU

Le Fun Fact: In the French dub, the translator speaks german.

21stCentury on
This discussion has been closed.