Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Game of the Year 2010 Poll [*RESULTS*]

1234579

Posts

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "The game I play for years" is shaping up to be Batman: Arkham Asylum at this point

    Why do I keep replaying it

    I have new games I haven't even opened yet

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You probably keep replaying it because you get to be the goddamn Batman! Also, that game does look rad as hell.

    I have had the urge to go back and play through Viewtiful Joe every so often in the years since its release. No More Heroes is another game that I've played through mulitipe times over the years now. For me, somewhat short and awesome beat 'em ups and fun pick-up-and-play games of various sorts with a lot of staying power will be the ones that I return to most frequently. Umbrella Chronicles has also seen a tremendous amount of replay for that reason. Diablo II is probably the game that I've replayed the most but it almost seems unfair to include it.

  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All that stuff is nice and well, but I consider it trimming

    I don't care how well-written your game is, if it's not fun to play, it's not fun to play, end of story.

    I play games because they are...

    *drumroll*

    fun to play.

    I do still plan on going through Deadly Premonition, but let's say I played it through to completion three months ago. Even if I thought the story was absolutely fantastic, filled with amazing characters, I still wouldn't place the game anywhere near the vicinity of my top twenty.

    Thats the funny thing I guess, because I totally agree and that's what Ive been trying to say - I play games because they're fun.

    But BECAUSE the atmosphere was amazing, the story was great, and the characters were all so well developed - it was totally worth a slog through some shitty combat to go drive around with Emily and Thomas, and listen to York's insane ramblings. The fun I had just interacting with the people in town overshadowed the shitty controls it took to get there.

    XBL: MXrox - PSN: mxmarks - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Immersion plays (hah) a big part for me.

    A good story is definitely an extra, but strong immersiveness is something that only games can achieve.

    If pure "fun gameplay" is all that ever mattered, we'd still be playing nothing but Pac-Man/Space Invaders/Asteroids.

    Being immersed on an amazing other world is as much fun and as important as pure gameplay, to me, even if the story and plot are shit. Just Cause, Saint's Row 2 and even STALKER are good examples.

    Of course, a game with amazing gameplay, incredibly good story and tons of immersion is the best possible game. And it's called Baldur's Gate 2 ;)
    Spoiler:

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While Stalker doesn't have an amazing plot or dialogue, the atmosphere is second to none, and since the Zone is half the story I wouldn't rank it alongside JC2 etc.

    I rarely think of audio or graphics (style aside) in ranking games. It's usually a balance between gameplay and writing. Crysis does some neat things and is fun to play, so I tolerate the terrible villain and the terrible dialogue, in the same sense as I tolerate them for the sake of Just Cause 2's festival of mayhem. On the other hand, I endure the gameplay of Planescape, Jade Empire, parts of Vampire, and ME1 because I love what the game is showing me.

    I also tend to consider a game worth the play if it shows one novel, interesting thing, regardless of the other metrics. Mirror's Edge's (actually fun) first person freerunning, Endless Ocean's tranquil view of an alien world, AP's choice branching, etc.

    X0H2Ah6.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While Stalker doesn't have an amazing plot or dialogue, the atmosphere is second to none, and since the Zone is half the story I wouldn't rank it alongside JC2 etc.

    Well, that's my point. Taken away from the game, that flimsy plot crumbles, but the Zone is irresistible and a billion times cooler than MW2.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I would have preferred Starcraft 2 to win, but I recognise and understand that while, as an example of its genre, it is arguably better than Mass Effect 2, as an overall game it has less wide appeal and as such does not deserve to beat ME2 in a Goty poll.

    The difference between ME2 and SC2 is that while ME2 is a fuckawesome experience to play through on your own, SC2 is the game that will be play for years. It's the same reason I voted Batman as my number 1 in the GOTY 2009 poll, but voted Street Fighter IV above it in the game of the decade poll.

    Then it turns out that Capcom has no intentions of releasing Super Street Fighter IV for PC and I don't actually play SF4 any more.

    Yeah Mass Effect 2 is a really great game. And Mass Effect 3 will be an instant buy for me. But I'm still playing SC2 a lot and have been since the beta last spring.

    11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, while there are still people reading this. When would be the best time to petition to push back next years vote? Because I don't know about anyone else, but I doubt I'll be able to give more than 1 or 2 of the absolute deluge of AAA titles coming out November 2011 a fair shake

    camo_sig2.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If pure "fun gameplay" is all that ever mattered, we'd still be playing nothing but Pac-Man/Space Invaders/Asteroids.

    Coincidentally, Pac-Man CE DX was better than most games of 2010

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • ZxerolZxerol The fullest, most luscious beard. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If pure "fun gameplay" is all that ever mattered, we'd still be playing nothing but Pac-Man/Space Invaders/Asteroids.

    Coincidentally, Pac-Man CE DX was better than most games of 2010

    I so want to play that shit.

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's like, $10

    And it's on both HD consoles

    You should procure it somehow

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No shame in second

    No shame in second especially for a Western

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • ZxerolZxerol The fullest, most luscious beard. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only current-gen console I own is a Wii. Which does not have that game.

    Lame.

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's because WiiWare is retarded and has a 40MB size limit on its games

    And then people wonder why it's filled with shovelware and never gets any good games

    Hmmm

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Glad to see the right game won, and by a fucking landslide too from that distantly second-placed pretender. Good job, PAers.

    Jazz? More like Jizz all over Mass Effect 2 because you have a hard on for weird science fiction alien sex and melodrama . . . or something.

    But at least you didn't have to throw a tantrum due to some other game winning. Like anything else deserved it. Pfffftttt.

    I see what you did thar! Bwahahaha. And damn right I do.
    Spoiler:

    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Cojones wrote: »
    One last thing... the Protheans were significantly more advanced than the combined council races and they were annihilated by the Reapers. What chance do we have?
    One. Her name is Commander Shepard, and she is very drunk.
    Steam/XBL: JazzMX5
  • edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The only current-gen console I own is a Wii. Which does not have that game.

    Lame.

    It can play this though:

    Pac-Man_Vs._Coverart.png

  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If pure "fun gameplay" is all that ever mattered, we'd still be playing nothing but Pac-Man/Space Invaders/Asteroids.

    Coincidentally, Pac-Man CE DX was better than most games of 2010

    Yeah, it's awesome indeed. But it's one more kind of good game, not the only one.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • Blue mapBlue map Freedom Fighter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looking at the list, i'm kind of surprised that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood didn't place higher. Admittedly eleven is hardly a poor showing in a year absolutely packed with fantastic games, but even so, that game had pretty much everything you'd expect in a full Assassin's Creed game plus an absolutely phenomenal multiplayer portion.

    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Opium wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The only current-gen console I own is a Wii. Which does not have that game.

    Lame.

    It can play this though:

    Pac-Man_Vs._Coverart.png

    :^:

    One of two big reasons I still have a Gamecube (since I don't have a Wii). The other, for all its faults, is Twin Snakes.

    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Cojones wrote: »
    One last thing... the Protheans were significantly more advanced than the combined council races and they were annihilated by the Reapers. What chance do we have?
    One. Her name is Commander Shepard, and she is very drunk.
    Steam/XBL: JazzMX5
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Also, while there are still people reading this. When would be the best time to petition to push back next years vote? Because I don't know about anyone else, but I doubt I'll be able to give more than 1 or 2 of the absolute deluge of AAA titles coming out November 2011 a fair shake

    I would say the end of January, I'm just just getting round to playing games I picked up for Christmas/Birthday/Steam Sale and some of those would definitely made my top 20 if I'd played them earlier.

    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User
    edited January 2011
    That's because WiiWare is retarded and has a 40MB size limit on its games

    And then people wonder why it's filled with shovelware and never gets any good games

    Hmmm

    The Bit Trip series of games are really good actually. There's a few gems there.

    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    Spoiler:
  • SpacebiosSpacebios Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone know if Angry Birds is going to be ported to WP7? It's an awesome game, and I hope it comes soon!

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    That's because WiiWare is retarded and has a 40MB size limit on its games

    And then people wonder why it's filled with shovelware and never gets any good games

    Hmmm

    The Bit Trip series of games are really good actually. There's a few gems there.

    Well yeah

    I mean it has Cave Story too, and I hear that Final Fantasy game is good (My Life as a Lord or something).

    But the good:crap ratio is insanely fucked when compared to the other two services. Downloadable games just keep getting bigger, and Nintendo, true to their roots, refuses to roll with changes. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was a two-gig download for fuck's sake.

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spacebios wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Angry Birds is going to be ported to WP7? It's an awesome game, and I hope it comes soon!

    You can play Castle Crashers for free on the PC. It's a lot better too.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't understand what Angry Birds on a phone has to do with Castle Crashers on a PC?

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spacebios wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Angry Birds is going to be ported to WP7? It's an awesome game, and I hope it comes soon!

    You can play Castle Crashers for free on the PC. It's a lot better too.

    Since when is Castle Crashers on PC? I need some details about that, even though I don't see what it has to do with the post you quoted.

    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521
    steam_sig.png
  • AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blue map wrote: »
    Looking at the list, i'm kind of surprised that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood didn't place higher. Admittedly eleven is hardly a poor showing in a year absolutely packed with fantastic games, but even so, that game had pretty much everything you'd expect in a full Assassin's Creed game plus an absolutely phenomenal multiplayer portion.

    Probably hurt a little by the fact that it's not out for PC yet.

  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Auberon wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »
    Looking at the list, i'm kind of surprised that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood didn't place higher. Admittedly eleven is hardly a poor showing in a year absolutely packed with fantastic games, but even so, that game had pretty much everything you'd expect in a full Assassin's Creed game plus an absolutely phenomenal multiplayer portion.

    Probably hurt a little by the fact that it's not out for PC yet.

    I think it is mostly due to coming out fairly late in the year. I really wanted it when it came out, but I had a pretty good idea that I was getting the CE for Christmas, so I waited. Also, I'm sure some people were waiting for it to drop in price a bit.

  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Auberon wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »
    Looking at the list, i'm kind of surprised that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood didn't place higher. Admittedly eleven is hardly a poor showing in a year absolutely packed with fantastic games, but even so, that game had pretty much everything you'd expect in a full Assassin's Creed game plus an absolutely phenomenal multiplayer portion.

    Probably hurt a little by the fact that it's not out for PC yet.

    Thats the main reason I haven't picked it up yet.

    Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Auberon wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »
    Looking at the list, i'm kind of surprised that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood didn't place higher. Admittedly eleven is hardly a poor showing in a year absolutely packed with fantastic games, but even so, that game had pretty much everything you'd expect in a full Assassin's Creed game plus an absolutely phenomenal multiplayer portion.

    Probably hurt a little by the fact that it's not out for PC yet.

    No.

    Just, no.

    ACII wasn't out for PC until March of 2010 but that didn't hurt its rankings last year

    It's primarily a console game and the retarded DRM on PC assures that everyone should play it that way

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Spacebios wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Angry Birds is going to be ported to WP7? It's an awesome game, and I hope it comes soon!

    You can play Castle Crashers for free on the PC. It's a lot better too.

    Since when is Castle Crashers on PC? I need some details about that, even though I don't see what it has to do with the post you quoted.

    Fuck me, I got confused with Crush the Castle, which is about the same thing, but better.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know that I didn't have a chance to start playing ACB until about when the nomination thread went up. And still hadn't finished it by the time the vote closed.

    Which is why I want to ask nicely to push the vote back a bit next year.

    camo_sig2.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    That's because WiiWare is retarded and has a 40MB size limit on its games

    And then people wonder why it's filled with shovelware and never gets any good games

    Hmmm

    The Bit Trip series of games are really good actually. There's a few gems there.

    Well yeah

    I mean it has Cave Story too, and I hear that Final Fantasy game is good (My Life as a Lord or something).

    My Life as a Darklord. It's cute, for a very, very drawn out tower defense game.

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, PC still kicks a lot of ass. It's definitely not dying.

    I do enjoy the few articles every year claiming it's dying.

    They've been running since about 1998.

    Until Blizzard, Bioware and Valve abandon the PC market, I can't see myself doing so either.

    Those three companies (and in Valve's case, dozens of other developers big and small) will definitely keep me coming back.

    Also, Steam sales.

  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Man, PC still kicks a lot of ass. It's definitely not dying.

    I do enjoy the few articles every year claiming it's dying.

    They've been running since about 1998.

    Until Blizzard, Bioware and Valve abandon the PC market, I can't see myself doing so either.

    Those three companies (and in Valve's case, dozens of other developers big and small) will definitely keep me coming back.

    Also, Steam sales.

    It's so true. Never a year goes by without hand-wringing discussions in the press about PC gaming dying; and always most vocally when new consoles hit. I haven't been a primarily PC-centric gamer for nearly a decade, but I do chuckle whenever it's brought up, especially when it's by an RL friend. As long as there are PCs, there will be PC gaming.

    And Steam sales mean so much more than "holy crap that's a huge discount". They keep talented but struggling devs in business (e.g. Introversion), they mean there's always something to play, and especially here they foster a sense of community the like of which I don't think I've ever seen in gaming prior. In more than just really pioneering and popularizing digital distribution, Steam really changed everything, and the sales are a huge part of that.

    I do wonder what sort of state PC gaming would be in if Steam had never existed; but it sure as shit wouldn't be dead.

    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Cojones wrote: »
    One last thing... the Protheans were significantly more advanced than the combined council races and they were annihilated by the Reapers. What chance do we have?
    One. Her name is Commander Shepard, and she is very drunk.
    Steam/XBL: JazzMX5
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    I do wonder what sort of state PC gaming would be in if Steam had never existed; but it sure as shit wouldn't be dead.

    True. I suppose another digital distribution outlet would be here if Steam wasn't, but even without a publisher or company acting as a retailer DD would still be thriving through indie developers.

    Look at Minecraft. One guy alone has made himself a multi millionaire just using PayPal payments through his website.

    Steam: Dr. Mark Sloan - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 0748-1545-6684
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think Minecraft is an outlier rather than an example of the industry. I think Steam is the single biggest thing to happen to PC gaming since...well, ever! Bearing in mind of course I've only been PC gaming since the late 90s as I'm only 21.

    Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
  • Blue mapBlue map Freedom Fighter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I was curious and checked out the Other M's score in comparison to Metroid Prime 3.

    11. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
    55. Metroid: Other M (Wii)

    It's a shame that a lot of people wound up blaming the concepts behind the game, when the real cause was Sakamoto's brutal mishandling of the game.

    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's your point? It sucks either way.

  • Andy JoeAndy Joe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PC gaming has been dying for as long as anyone can remember, but still retains significant power and influence.

    Basically, PC gaming is the God-Emperor of Mankind.

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Y Name: Morgan
Sign In or Register to comment.