As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] 2033

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    What are you two doing, designing a game or something?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Harrum: ME2-style recruitment quests for ambassadors to major powers, with optional loyalty-quest analogues to improve it? Also, I'm surprisingly kind of feeling like none of the mercs should be a romance option. One female and one male additional NPC, maybe, for that, but they also need to be critical parts of the story.

yeah romance options would be more appropriate as people less close to the player

but setting up other romances would be a fun addition

useful, too

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Okay, abd, time to come up with a storyline for this shit. :P

in a land dominated by the struggle between the old world of the feudal lords and the new world of the mercantilism of the emerging coastal city-states, four mercenaries find themselves in a position to shape the course of the land
    I like it! Is the PC one of the mercs, in your view? Because I'm thinking maybe they pick up a front man along the way to do most of the talking, since they're largely not good at that, except for intimidation. They need someone clean and presentable to make connections?

ohhh yeah

the PC could be a courtier somewhere

a talking dude or woman

great idea

also, since you asked, which idea I liked: both
    Aha! Mercs get paid at the court for eliminating a group of bandits, and figure out along the way that this duchy is about to get overthrown. PC is being treated shittily (which is part of why the duke's in trouble) and asks to come along when he/she sees them leaving. They see the opportunity, and agree to take him/her along. They level automatically with one weapon style, and you choose either one to be good at or a few to be okay with, plus points for conversational skills.

Maybe three mercs (though not tank/DPS/healer because that's cliched) and another NPC or two to fill the gaps? And as you progress in building your network, you send envoys to other powers to strengthen those alliances.

I'd not like tank DPS healer

I'd like something a bit more original in the way of combat system

but anyway

yeeeess

main point of the game is political intrigue

sometimes achieved through talking, sometime through more... creative means. For example killing people or fucking shit up and saying the enemy did it or threatening people or whatever.

you have wit and cunning and might at your disposal, and you can employ them as morally or amorally as you like

for example, craftily gain the gratitude of some dude who's the key to gaining influence with the local merchant's guild

or kill his son and kidnap his daughter
    And different approaches work better with different people, which would offer opportunities for roleplaying on the player's part. Mostly you'd be able to figure out what to do through gathering intel from sources, but sometimes a recon mission would be necessary?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jesus Christ, this is like some shit my brother would get into

http://www.youtube.com/classitup10#p/a/u/2/PnNx0WThoF0

Fuuuuuuuck.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »

we're brainstorming a game, yes

it's always fun

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I want a kitty.

Honk on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kitty twisting is a popular maritime sport.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »

we're brainstorming a game, yes

it's always fun

Yeah but I was thinking that you need to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

Honk on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Fuuuuuuuck.

How stoned is your brother

simonwolf on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

in a land dominated by the struggle between the old world of the feudal lords and the new world of the mercantilism of the emerging coastal city-states, four mercenaries find themselves in a position to shape the course of the land
    I like it! Is the PC one of the mercs, in your view? Because I'm thinking maybe they pick up a front man along the way to do most of the talking, since they're largely not good at that, except for intimidation. They need someone clean and presentable to make connections?

ohhh yeah

a talking dude or woman

great idea

Aha! Mercs get paid at the court for eliminating a group of bandits, and figure out along the way that this duchy is about to get overthrown. PC is being treated shittily (which is part of why the duke's in trouble) and asks to come along when he/she sees them leaving. They see the opportunity, and agree to take him/her along. They level automatically with one weapon style, and you choose either one to be good at or a few to be okay with, plus points for conversational skills.

Maybe three mercs (though not tank/DPS/healer because that's cliched) and another NPC or two to fill the gaps? And as you progress in building your network, you send envoys to other powers to strengthen those alliances.

but anyway

yeeeess

sometimes achieved through talking, sometime through more... creative means. For example killing people or fucking shit up and saying the enemy did it or threatening people or whatever.

you have wit and cunning and might at your disposal, and you can employ them as morally or amorally as you like

for example, craftily gain the gratitude of some dude who's the key to gaining influence with the local merchant's guild

Yeah, when I mentioned combat at all, I'm envisioning something not dissimilar to an SRPG, with the city grid laid out, and merchants, kings, important folk running around. Instead of casting Fireball on the King, you request an audience; this opens a 1-1 'combat' where you attempt to persuade the opponent using skills like wit and cunning.

In your example, the kidnapping would happen on the main SRPG screen - you'd simply watch for a chance to move Merc 1 into the path of the kid, then choose 'kidnap'. And that would have a consequence during the 1-1 dialogue.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

ohhh yeah

a talking dude or woman

great idea

but anyway

yeeeess

And different approaches work better with different people, which would offer opportunities for roleplaying on the player's part. Mostly you'd be able to figure out what to do through gathering intel from sources, but sometimes a recon mission would be necessary?

yeah. Piece together info about who and what you're doing, act accordingly. Infinite permutations on that theme.

lying and trickery would also be fun. Send one of the mercs as a fake emissary to get info or say something

hilarity ensues

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    organichu you're the worst

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    awesomed

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    simonwolf wrote: »

Fuuuuuuuck.

and how many congresspeople has he assassinated?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Kitty twisting is a popular maritime sport.

That's not even the full twist, she moved to look at the camera when my mom pulled it out, she can literally have her front paws laying on one side and her back paws laying on the other.

And we are like "Should we tell her that spines don't work that way?"

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd like conversations mostly to be based around stuff you know and your own choices rather than rolling dice because those conversations can be really wierd

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Exactly 24 hours ago when I found that guys youtube channel it had 400 views, now it has over two million.

Honk on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

Fuuuuuuuck.

He's from Alaska, so clearly he's working his way down that Palin list

one by one

'til the dirty deed is done

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd like conversations mostly to be based around stuff you know and your own choices rather than rolling dice because those conversations can be really wierd

yes.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

yes.

Die-rolling should be done PRIOR to a conversation to help you glean information, if anything.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Fuuuuuuuck.

one by one

Palin is a nutjob on FOX News. Why would being from Alaska figure into that at all?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, two core Splinter Cell/James Bond-esque mercs, female and male, with largely the same skill set focusing on stealth but some damage-dealing and protective capabilities

for the last mission they called a buddy of theirs who was better at wholesale destruction since the bandits were a larger-scale job

on exit with the PC they encounter the burgeoning revolutionaries with a mob, buddy holds them off while the other three escape, we'll see him again later

main idea of the game will be forging a joining between a collection or single powerful city-state with a duchy, each with a leader with the mindset to see the opportunities ahead, each with one additional NPC of each sex to build influence in the court and maybe romance

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jeep what happened to your puppy?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    it would be awesome for it all to be 3d thrid person in glorious graphics but hardly feasible

text and 2d images would gain a better result

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cinders wrote: »

He is...

upstairs?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Fuuuuuuuck.

one by one

Palin is a nutjob on FOX News. Why would being from Alaska figure into that at all?

everyone in Alaska is secretly Sarah Palin

it is like Invasion of the Body Snatchers

only with more Palin

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, two core Splinter Cell/James Bond-esque mercs, female and male, with largely the same skill set focusing on stealth but some damage-dealing and protective capabilities

for the last mission they called a buddy of theirs who was better at wholesale destruction since the bandits were a larger-scale job

on exit with the PC they encounter the burgeoning revolutionaries with a mob, buddy holds them off while the other three escape, we'll see him again later

main idea of the game will be forging a joining between a collection or single powerful city-state with a duchy, each with a leader with the mindset to see the opportunities ahead, each with one additional NPC of each sex to build influence in the court and maybe romance

maybe they were simply hired to bolster the defense of the place, stop the revolution, but figured which way the wind was blowing

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    if we were to do this

like actually do this

we should find some existing game that we can mod easily for this

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    it would be awesome for it all to be 3d thrid person in glorious graphics but hardly feasible

text and 2d images would gain a better result

Given that realistically speaking this is not actually going to happen let's indulge ourselves and imagine Mass Effect style scenes. :P Although it could make a great D&D campaign, come to think of it.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    although it is a little huge to start with

maybe we should begin with a choose your adventure-book

EDIT: with like, twenty pages

EDIT: Or d&d campaign

that's a good idea

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    if we were to do this

like actually do this

I don't know the extent of the mod tools, but Mount and Blade is about the closest there is to this idea.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    God dammit now I really wish I had Jade Empire. It's one of the very few Bioware/Obsidian RPGs I don't own/haven't watched or played.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This conversation about the game so far has reminded me of every drunk conversation I've heard between two dudes

"we should totally buy a bar"

"it'll be the best bar ever"

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cinders wrote: »

He is...

upstairs?

It's 2PM on a school day DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR PUPPY IS?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    if we were to do this

like actually do this

I don't know the extent of the mod tools, but Mount and Blade is about the closest there is to this idea.

yeah... yeah, it is. But I have no idea how pliable it is.

but it would be mount and blade but far more awesome. We should snatch the team. especially the dude who makes the illustrations. that guy is awesome.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    although it is a little huge to start with

maybe we should begin with a choose your adventure-book

EDIT: with like, twenty pages

EDIT: Or d&d campaign

that's a good idea

I'd volunteer to DM, but I've played a grand total of one D&D game, so that might not work too well. Hey, [chat]ters, are any of you interested in playing this as an online tabletop thing?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This conversation about the game so far has reminded me of every drunk conversation I've heard between two dudes

"we should totally buy a bar"

"it'll be the best bar ever"

yeah those conversations are fun too

dreams are the best

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    God dammit now I really wish I had Jade Empire. It's one of the very few Bioware/Obsidian RPGs I don't own/haven't watched or played.

Oh my goooooooooooooood

You are in for a treat if you get it. I love it, it's one of my favourite BioWare games.

Honk on
This discussion has been closed.