As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RSS Reader Recomendations

RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm after an RSS reader, however I want something that operates as a ticker, docked on the top/bottom of my screen, preferably with the option of being semi-transparent, and that can expand into a more fully fledged RSS reader or to read particular entries that scroll by. Oh, and I'm in Windows.

So yes, I'm picky, but I do know that there are literally dozens of different readers out there, so I was hoping that someone here might be able to recommend one that does at least most of the above.

Answers on a postcard, children!

Rohaq on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Firefox has one RSS feeder extension which shuffles items from multiple feeds and scrolls it either under your bookmarks or above your status bar. Would have been perfect, but the scrolling is stuttered and it ends up looking pretty terrible. Gave me a headache, at least. So yeah, sorry if that's not totally helpful, but I'd be interested in a similar thing and I thought it might save you from going that route with high expectations.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm really after something that's standalone though. I've found a few ticker bar RSS readers about, but they seem to be quite obtrusive or want to resize my windows and have their own section of the screen. I just want something out of the way that's always on top and semi-transparent.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    arcath wrote:
    Am I missing something? That seems to do virtually none of the things I asked for.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The idea of an RSS ticker sounds pretty awesome.
    ...Does something like that even exist?

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, as I mentioned above, there's a Firefox extension that scrolls a ticker of shuffled items from RSS feeds along below your taskbar or above your status bar, but again, it's not that smooth and I didn't like it a whole lot. If you can't find anything else it's certainly worth trying though.

EDIT: but then again sometiems I forget not everyone is browsing the 'net for a majority of their computer time so maybe that's not an option.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    bsjezz wrote:
    Yeah, as I mentioned above, there's a Firefox extension that scrolls a ticker of shuffled items from RSS feeds along below your taskbar or above your status bar, but again, it's not that smooth and I didn't like it a whole lot. If you can't find anything else it's certainly worth trying though.
    The problem is that I want it visible outside of Firefox, or when Firefox isn't running, plus the Firefox extension does pretty much just that, a ticker, opening items you click in the browser; I'm thinking more something that has a ticker, but expands into a more fully featured RSS reader.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    If it helps at all, if you hover over scrolling items it does show a dialogue box with other RSS information - it's not just a scrolling headline with a link - but I see your point (and again I easily forget that a lot of people use other apps for a large portion of their time). I did look around for a bit and that was pretty much the only one I could find though so good luck, and let me know how you go!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Bump?
    Interested in this, but can't really find anything.
    Did find this in Google though,
    http://www.mioplanet.com/rsc/develop_ticker.htm
    http://www.mioplanet.com/solutions/desktopticker/index.htm
    :?:

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If Google fails in search of free software try Sourceforge.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Woooah! This is a sick RSS ticker :D
    Muchos gracias senor!
    If only I could tweak it a bit...maybe dock it to the bottom. Because as it is now, it is docked on the bottom but the windows around it don't acknowledge this, thus the ticker overlaps other maximized windows =/

It looks really sweet though, with customizable RSS feeds. Awesome app, almost perfect except for it going on top of windows...
    Bit of a resource hog though... 20,000k in my Task Manager O.o

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Muchos gracias senor!
    If only I could tweak it a bit...maybe dock it to the bottom. Because as it is now, it is docked on the bottom but the windows around it don't acknowledge this, thus the ticker overlaps other maximized windows =/

It looks really sweet though, with customizable RSS feeds. Awesome app, almost perfect except for it going on top of windows...

hmm... didn't notice that. You could tweak it from the source.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Muchos gracias senor!

hmm... didn't notice that. You could tweak it from the source.
    Any tips on how to dock it?
    Or code? Example code?
    ...And maybe how to minimize the resource costs?

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png