As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VidCard Question - too hot?

tralevtralev Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got an ASUS G73JH with a Radeon HD 5870. I've been getting some shutdowns out of nowhere running Dragon Age. Downloaded GPU-Z and it shows that the card is running at 80c at an idle load. When I run Dragon Age it gets up to and over 100c.

I'm going to ask the obvious question, this is really hot right? I'm running the latest 10.12 Catalyst Suite.

Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
tralev on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    80c for an idle 5870 is way way too hot.

it should be running about 33-35 on idle and 80 at 100%

my first suggestion would be to make sure the fan is working on the card and then trying to adjust the settings in the CCC-advanced (fan setting is under ATI overdrive)

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the response. I don't see an ATI overdrive section in the advanced CCC control panel..

tralev on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    in the top left click the graphics dropdown and go to ati overdrive.

for older versions it should just be in the list on the left.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I installed my card and the software, the Overdrive section was automatically turned on and the thing was idling at 90c. They need to fix that with their software.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From watching my 4870 I've come to the conclusion that ATI's drivers are retarded.

For me it only increases the fan speed based on GPU load rather then temperatures.

The thing idles at 75-80 plus Celsius. It keeps the fan speed at around 20%.

Nowadays I just use MSI Afterburner and set a fan profile. It idles between 28 and 33 with my settings.

So, just get some kind of fan speed profile worked out with whatever tool you use and you should be fine.

That said the noise from this card is unbearable over 80% fan speed.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That notebook is known to run hot. Make sure you've got the latest bios (v211) as it has some tweaks to fan speed thresholds. Also make sure the back of the notebook is clear, as that's where the air intake is. If you're still getting thermal shutdowns, I'd RMA the notebook if it's still under warranty. If it's no longer under warranty, brave souls in the NotebookReview forums have been talking abour repasting the GPU (i.e. removing the heatsink and applying new thermal paste) to resolve overheating issues.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How do you tell what bios version you're running?

I don't see an overclock section in the CCC manager, I only see these options:
    ccchv.jpg
    ccchv.jpg

tralev on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Part of the problem is I bought it at Best Buy and am not looking forward to dealing with them. It is within the year warranty though.

tralev on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    well, that's a different version from what I have...

I assume its under powerplay as that's where the overdrive would normally be.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tralev wrote: »
    How do you tell what bios version you're running?
    You can download the Windows BIOS flash tool for your laptop from this page. It's under "BIOS-Utilities". When you run it, it should read your current BIOS and tell you what version you have. You can download the 211 BIOS from the same page, under the BIOS section.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Loaded BIOS 211 last night, didn't notice much change.

GPU Fan is on 30% most of the time, if it goes over 100c (which it does playing Dragon Age), then it kicks on to 100%. Still at 70-80c idle with 0 load.

Could I have an issue with the regular computer fans?

EDIT: I haven't gotten a shutdown since the update, and played for a few hours last night. I'm still worried there is a problem with it running that hot and have less than 3 months left on the warranty. Are those tolerable temps?

tralev on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Here's what you can do:

- Re-apply thermal paste to your card
    - Add another fan to your PC via expansion slot
    - Buy a third-party fan to attach to your card that replaces the crappy one that came with it. There are ones out there that are much more powerful and cover more of the card and I've heard nothing but good things about them lowering the temperatures.

Also, does your card vent the air out of the case through an expansion slot?

tardcore on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tardcore wrote: »
    Here's what you can do:

- Re-apply thermal paste to your card
    - Add another fan to your PC via expansion slot
    - Buy a third-party fan to attach to your card that replaces the crappy one that came with it. There are ones out there that are much more powerful and cover more of the card and I've heard nothing but good things about them lowering the temperatures.

Also, does your card vent the air out of the case through an expansion slot?

It's a laptop :P

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wow, maybe I should read the farking post before commenting!

doh

tardcore on