Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD+GW 4E Discussion] Everyone hates whatever you like. Yes, YOU.

AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Critical Failures
ITT people try to tell you the way you like to pretend playing as a fantasy elf or dwarf is wrong. Plus you're probably a jerk. Why are you such a jerk? Also that you are not playing DnD the one true way
and that you're a horrible monster. Why do you hate fun?

Here is a Dungeon:
dnd-online-dungeon.jpg

Here is a Dragon:
dragon-tail.jpg

Hence the name. Also, as a bonus picture here is Bane.
372_bane.jpg

He's so dreamy <3.

And no, he's not going anywhere from the OP. He wants you to love his manly pectoral muscles, his huge thigh muscles and bulging tip of the long hard shaft of his spear. The artist who drew this spectacular
visage of our general thread mascot and local god even has a wallpaper of him. All hail Bane!!!!

Speaking of before we go any further here, want to get the perfect way of starting 4E? Don't know where to go though? Try Wizards generously offering both a revised and improved version of Keep on the Shadowfell and the Quickstart rules? What will this cost you?

Absolutely nothing as it's completely free. Download them here.

Dungeons and Dragons is a pretty old game, originally being created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson in 1974, both of whom have passed way now. Since then it's had various iterations and editions, with the latest edition being 4th edition, published by Wizards of the Coast. The basic rules consist of three books:
products_dndacc_217367200_lgpic.jpg

As the name suggests, this is for players and also details the games core rules like combat.
products_dndacc_217207200_lgpic.jpg

This book details the various monsters and other things that populate most DnD worlds.
products_dndacc_217507200_lgpic.jpg

This is for the DM and contains useful things like how much experience you have to make an encounter, treasure tables and rules for creating your own monsters.

If you want to play DnD, you usually only need the players hand book. Running a game requires those base three books and should be bought by everyone in general.

Speaking of stuff, what stuff can you look forwards to playing in this wonderful game of Dungeons and Dragons? How about a handy description of the varied options in 4E?

Your wonderful options for Playing Dungeons and Dragons 4E

The first of the core books in 4E reintroduced many core races that are familiar to anyone who has played DnD before, while also introducing some new options like Dragonborn to familiar fantasy tropes like dwarves and Elves. The main difference in race design in 4E compared to previous editions is that most races gain positive bonuses to stats (no negatives) and are generally more evenly powered across the board. No ECLs or similar are used here.

Additionally this is the book that introduced many of the core classes back to the game like fighters, rogues and wizards while again introducing new elements like the Warlord. Class design is really radical in 4E compared to the way 3E handled things, so you should be prepared for a major shock if you’re coming from a previous edition. Most classes have been broken down into a series of roles that determine what they generally do: Defender, striker, controller or leader.

Further most classes have both a power source (that mechanically ties them into certain things) and a collection of individual powers that determines how they can affect combat (usually flavored by the role
the class fits into).

The PHB introduced the following races and classes into 4E:
Spoiler:

Wizards were not finished there of course and released the second
players handbook further expanding the options available!:
Spoiler:

That not enough races and classes? Well have some more thanks to the
third players handbook!
Spoiler:

Then there are the races and the class from the campaign setting
books. First Forgotten Realms:
Spoiler:

The Eberron players guide added further races again as well as a new class!
Spoiler:

And now DDI is adding more options to the game as well – insider
exclusive (that is they won’t be printed) to boot!
Spoiler:

DM/Player Tools and Helpful Links

D&D Insider Subscriptions

D&D insider is probably the best method of keeping up to date with 4th edition at the moment. For one thing, it keeps you up to date with all that pesky errata in a simple way and if you subscribe for a month, then cancel you can get a lot of content for not a lot of overall money! You can preview some of the toys at the links below:

This of course is a subscription service and here are the current prices, with a month subscription for what you can get out of it being quite a steal if you are prepared to deal with not having everything up to date each month.
  • $71.40 for 12 months - $5.95 per month
  • $23.85 for 3 months - $7.95 per month
  • $9.95 for month

To subscribe to the D&D Insider service, click here. Prices went up in July (2009), seems about a dollar an issue for a 12 month subscription.

You can find screenshots of the Character builder here.

Aegeri on

• AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A lot of stuff has been released currently as well and I have most of it, so I'll give some minor thoughts on each and update as stuff comes out:
    Campaign Settings

Forgotten Realms

frcg.jpg

Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
    Forgotten Realms Players Guide
    Scepter Tower of Spellgard

This was the first of the campaign settings released for 4E Dungeons and Dragons in 2008. It marks a significant departure from the previous editions versions of the Forgotten Realms, which is either something people hate a lot, are indifferent to or quite like. It has enough detail that any new DM will find it a useful resource for making a campaign and providing an overall world to set that campaign in. It does not have the depth of lore or similar that previous editions have had, which is what leads to a lot of the
    negativity surrounding the setting. The players guide IMO is a useful resource even if you don't actually like the realms as a setting. Although a fair chunk of the book is dedicated to the FR, the Swordmage, races (Drow and Genasi) and feats make it a worthwhile purchase for anyone.

The adventure is decent quality, but requires a lot of work compared to the 'core' adventure series to get fully implemented into a campaign. It also starts at level 2, which is a real pain for DMs wanting to just jump right into a 4E campaign with the adventure and some fresh level 1 PCs. We have a thread for FR as well here.
    Eberron

515WULoa8sL_SL500_.jpg

Eberron Campaign Guide
    Eberron Players Guide
    Seekers of the Ashen Crown

We have a thread for Eberron related things
    here.

Eberron is the second setting released and it's pretty good IMO (maybe I am biased though if you read my campaign threads on this forum). It has a lot of solid themes to the game, as it's based heavily on a kind of pulp action + noir feel that really does work. The books are absolutely gorgeous and especially the main campaign guide is worth mentioning, because the cartography of the map of the world is truly great and its packed full of great ideas and detail about Eberron. It is definitely around the top books released for 4E so far IMO. Like with FR, I feel the EPG is really worth buying as well just for the extra feats and mechanics (dragonmark feats are easily applied to other settings with little mechanical fiddling). I will say though some DMs may not like the more "magitech" feel to the Eberron specific Warforged race and Artificer class, so make sure you check with your DM before buying this for your FR or whatever setting game.

Once again though I must complain that the adventure starts at level 2. Why on earth do they do that? It's very good though and it's a fun adventure, but I still wish they would make these adventures from level 1 so you can jump right into the fun without having to make further encounters (or starting your PCs at level 2).
    Dark Sun

dark_sun_cg_b1y.jpg

Dark Sun Campaign Setting
    Dark Sun Creature Catalog
    Marauders of the Dune Sea (Adventure).

The last great book published for 4th edition before essentials was released, it is in some peoples opinion (including mine) the best of the campaign settings released for 4th edition. It is filled with great, incredibly flavorful crunch and is a really brilliant description of the world for DMs and players alike. Cleverly, most of the core stats of the antagonists and numerous athasian monsters were placed into a second dedicated monster book - instead of the players book/DMs book structure of other settings. Explaining why I love this setting would take pages, but as a short summary it truly offers something that is genuinely different to an FR/Eberron setting in flavor, feel and mechanics. Themes add a layer of mechanical depth onto PCs that feels natural and intuitive - like it could have always been there that's how well it integrates into the game as a whole. My only complaint is that the adventure kind of sucks and isn't that great, but Wizards haven't really been known for their great adventures this edition (though they have their moments, like the recent Tomb of Horrors superadventure).

Dark Sun gets possibly one of the best pieces of art in all DnD ever:
    75.jpg

I mean if you didn't want the creature catalog before, I bet you do now.
    Released books
    Spoiler:
    Released Adventures
    Spoiler:

Upcoming Stuff

Due to the fact I have no idea what Wizards is doing anymore, I'll only list what I actually know Wizards is doing.

Gamma World: Legion of Gold: February
    Heroes of Shadow: March or April

Anything after that is distinctively tentative.

edited January 2011
    Dungeons and Dragons Essentials

dnd-red-box.jpg

Recently Wizards re-released some things under the name "Essentials", which is 10 overall products.

Red Box (Starter set, designed for new players)
    DMs Kit (Designed for new DMs)
    Monster Vault (Designed for DMs, is an update of many classic MM
    creatures – comes with tokens!)
    Over Expensive Dice
    Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms
    Heroes of the Fallen Lands
    Rules Compendium

These make up the DnD essentials brand and are designed as constant "entry level" products into DnD.

Question: What does essentials mean for your game?

Answer: Depending on your opinions and what your DM thinks, either not very much or it's the most horrible thing ever. Some people hate essentials because it offers some very retro versions of previous classes, for example the slayer and knight, alternative new fighter builds lack daily and encounter powers. Other builds are more like their previous edition counterparts, such as the sentinel druid who is more flexible than a regular 4E class and has a dedicated pet (instead of wildshape). At the same time, many of the classes in essentials still follow the at-will, encounter, daily and utility format. In many ways all they do is add new options for playing 4E DnD: they do not replace your old books entirely. The essentials books also include the latest errata to the game as well, which is a pretty good thing and the rules compendium is the best (and most convenient) buy ever!

So should you get essentials? There are two answers and IMO they depend on how long you've been playing.

Playing for a while?: You probably have a decent collection of books. If you're a DM who already has DMG1 and DMG2, then don't get the DM's kit. It's a waste of time and effort unless you want the adventure. I would similarly avoid the red box if I was you as well. The rules compendium is still a must buy and the two players books (Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Fallen Kingdoms are worth it). Likewise monster vault is worth buying as well.

New player? By all means, if you're new get the red box to start with. Good introduction to DnD. Then get the DM's kit if you want to take on the role of the DM (and good luck to you). Monster Vault and Rules compendiums are must buys as well. Then pick one of the two players books you like most, probably depending on the classes in it and run with that as your first purchase. Then play DnD!
    Gamma World

Gamma2BWorld.jpg

Gamma World isn't strictly Dungeons and Dragons. Although it uses 4E rules it has several important differences that should be emphasized. The first is that it's a science fiction setting and that the rules have been very simplified. The other is that it inherently uses the dreaded collectible cards as a mechanic. You can get extra powers basically from cards that you wouldn't have otherwise. This works though, because gamma world is much less complex than 4E and the cards add a wonderful random variable that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Gamma World is set on Earth (yes, our earth), after a physics experiment went wrong that simultaneously melded together numerous different universes into one. This caused the "Great Mistake", which saw to the ruining of the world and all these weird freaks running about. Speaking of weird freaks, ever wanted to be a swarm of murderous kittens? A gelatinous yeti? A tentacle laser toting alien? Gamma World is right up your ally here, because PCs are not only encouraged to be whacky things - it's mandatory. To say that gamma world is rather insane would be an understatement. It doesn't take itself seriously and is a really good distraction for a few settings before getting back into more regular Dungeons and Dragons. It's also much easier to pick up and play, due to having less overall complexity. I actually recommend this as a good way of introducing DnD to new players.
    Useful Stuff Provided By Wizards and other people

Additionally I recommend this site, which has a wide collection of fantasy art and such forth. Some of it is distinctly NSFW however, so consider yourself warned. They love naked women.

Another useful site is the Cartographers Guild forums. Many talented map artists at this site who make a range of maps, both large scale continental maps, town maps and dungeon maps. Some of the maps here IMO are a bit too fancy, with excessive mapsizes for use with maptools but there are some real gems on here as well. Incidentally, the guy who did the cartography for the Cormyr article in Dragon Magazine posts here as well. Here's an example.

Infidel has provided us with a handy 4E stat calculator. Especially useful if you don't have the character builder to do it for you. The most common problem I find with 4E games is people messing up their initial point buy by a couple of points. In an unexpected twist, this is because some people tend to give themselves less points overall and accidentally gimp their character as opposed to going over the limit.

He's also produced a handy online character sheet device, which can be found here. Seems to work pretty well and is very handy and is even becoming a popular alternative to Mythweavers around these forums. In further character sheet interests, there is also this lovely looking Victorian themed sheet available by Orikaeshigitae.

Cheap miniatures seems to come up quite often in the thread, given that a good mini or three can make 4E a lot easier to run (probably an understatement). One place to get them is ebay, but the number and quality (even type) may be hit and miss. Another online seller of DDM is Dragon Justice, which sometimes has a good range and sometimes not. Really if you look around online you can get a good bunch of models for a fairly cheap price.

There is a general campaign design and advice thread that I have been writing for a while over here. If you're a new DM this might be worth checking out.

I also recommend this fellow called the Angry DM. His advice is pretty good and he's wrote a couple of really good articles on how to make solo fights more interesting.

Finally, a major collection of the games errata was released recently in a big PDF from wizards that you can get here.

Also, as a reminder, don't discuss pirating books in this thread. It's not going to get you anything except some infractions and probably a ban. So just don't. Plus Chris Perkins is totally going to come around to your house and ruin your shit. Not to mention eat your dinner and steal your dice.

We have a general CF IRC channel too if you're that way inclined. You'll need some chat client to use it, or something.

irc.slashnet.org #criticalfailures

Apparently this was SUPERSUGAs idea.
    Penny-Arcade Podcast series!

Also, given this forum is Penny-Arcade we should in fact note that Gabe and Tycho, Scott Kurtz of PVP and after the first series Wil Wheaton sat down and played some DnD together and recorded it. There are currently three seasons and you can find links to download them all below for much good times. This is a good way of getting new people interested in DnD I've found as well.

Series 1: Chris Perkins as DM with Jerry (PA), Mike (PA) and Scott (PvP) playing some DnD!
    Part one. Part two. Part Three. Part four. Part five. Part six. Part seven. Part eight.

Series 2: Chris Perkins as DM with Jerry (PA), Mike (PA), Scott (PvP) and Wil ('s Law) playing some DnD!
    Part one. Part two. Part three. Part four. Part five. Part six. Part seven. Part eight.

Series 3: Chris Perkins as DM with Jerry (PA), Mike (PA), Scott (PvP) and Wil ('s Law) playing some DnD!
    Part one. Part two. Part three. Part four. Part five. Part Six. Part Seven. Part Eight.

Series 4: Jerry takes over the DMing mantle in Dark Sun with Mike (PA), Scott (PvP) and Kris (Krisstraub).
    Part 1. Part 2. Part 3. Part 4. Part 5.

There is also Robot Chicken's writers playing DnD. Also features commentary on the game from Chris Perkins!

There will also be another PA/PVP podcast featuring Wil and Chris Perkins back as DM later in the summer.

Edit: I am going for a three post OP now so I have some breathing room for information in what is a very expansive game. I have some major plans for the formatting and content of the next OP (It sadly wasn't ready for this one). Hopefully it will be better laid out and easier to find specific information. Plus with more pictures. I feel this OP needs far more pictures.

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rawr. I really need to work on my first pbp game. I'm discovering it takes more time to prepare maps ahead of time instead of on the fly like I could with MapTool.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if you ain't playin' Dark Sun you ain't shit

sQwJu.png
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My maptools/vent game has not had a session since early December.

This saddens me.

If things fold and a new one has to start, I am thinking about a Fey Hexblade, and loading up on cheesy Light Blade feats. This makes me a bad person, I think.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nooooooooooo the bitchy OP, RIP. :(

Our D&D game got postponed. Again.

TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aegeri, since Dark Sun is out already could you maybe update the blurb about it?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited January 2011
    The bitchy OP had it's time and place. Now it is time for a more useful OP. Though it is getting difficult to fit all that information into 3 posts. I think I will have to cut a few things from the second part (especially). Just some general comments about released stuff and adventures, instead of the paragraphish most things have got.

Edit: Maybe.

edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Aegeri, since Dark Sun is out already could you maybe update the blurb about it?

Shhhh, he's in denial about Dark Sun being released, since everything afterwards has been shit.

Keep the dream alive~

Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bah. Essentials has as close as an admission that Expertise Feats should have not been necessary.

Trogg wrote: »
    Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.
    edited January 2011
    Infidel wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Shhhh, he's in denial about Dark Sun being released, since everything afterwards has been shit.

Keep the dream alive~

If you release books they will buy it. <3

Edit: Not that what I edited it to was any less bitchy about Wizards.

• TomeWyrmTomeWyrm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I know the feeling...I don't think my group has met in like 2 months now. My dice are covered in a thick layer of dust at this point.

edited January 2011
    TomeWyrm wrote: »

I know the feeling...I don't think my group has met in like 2 months now. My dice are covered in a thick layer of dust at this point.

That is where we're at now basically.

Fuck holidays!

• TomeWyrmTomeWyrm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That is where we're at now basically.

Fuck holidays!

Yeah the holidays and clashing work schedules just fucked us all to pieces. There are actually two games going on, and neither has managed to find a time where everyone can sit around a table at once. Madness!

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know of any decent firearm rules for 4E? I've drafted some up, but would like to compare notes if there are any good ones out there.

• daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    First question as we get back from two months of not gaming due to holidays: "Aren't we level 16 now?"

(Answer of course is, no, you leveled up last game.)

Then, as DM, I had to ask stuff like: "Wait, how did you get that item? That is way overpowered!"

And then got the response of: "You gave it to me last session."

FAIL.

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TomeWyrm: Some of the gamma world rules might be applicable--if you want the firearms to take on an "encounter" power feel.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If one were to write the expertise feats out as dull necessities and just hand them out as freebies to allow more interesting feat choices, where would you put them?

Lvl 5, 15 and 25? Or 1, 11 and 21?

TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If one were to write the expertise feats out as dull necessities and just hand them out as freebies to allow more interesting feat choices, where would you put them?

Lvl 5, 15 and 25?

The new expertise feats though are pretty sweet, aren't they?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They'd still be allowed to be picked if wanted for the secondary effect. They just wouldn't stack with the freebie.

TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior
    edited January 2011
    It's pretty bad that some of those would still be worth a feat even without the +1/2/3 to hit.

• LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's pretty bad that some of those would still be worth a feat even without the +1/2/3 to hit.

I love that all but staff sucks for weapliments, and that they forgot about totems and ki foci. Herpaderp.

3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know of any decent firearm rules for 4E? I've drafted some up, but would like to compare notes if there are any good ones out there.

I've been working on some for use with Gamma World (to replace the sparse firearms rules included with the core game).

Basically, unsalvaged guns count as Omega Tech, albeit that they can be used multiple times by expending "ammo tokens" (however, using a gun Omega Tech card more than once in an encounter carries a risk that it will blow up in your face, hurting you and rendering the gun unsalvageable). Gun Omega Tech cards are slightly less powerful than other kinds of Omega Tech, seeing as they can be used more than once in an Encounter. Finally, gun Omega Tech are treated as independent powers and cannot be used with a Weapon-keyword power.

Salvaged gun Omega Tech become firearms more in line with normal weapons. However, since they still require ammo, they are slightly more powerful than standard weapons because they are limited-use weapons. Salvaged guns can be used with Weapon-keyword powers.

"Ammo Tokens" pretty much let you "buy" ammo for a weapon on the spot. For example, say you have two ammo cards. You can either spend one card a round to fire a salvaged pistol once per round for two rounds, or you can spend two cards at one time to fire a salvaged shotgun once.

Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
    edited January 2011
    ...I'm not letting this get BotP'd.

• SJSJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    death to small size, campaign for medium gnomes and halflings

edited January 2011
    Litejedi wrote: »

I love that all but staff sucks for weapliments, and that they forgot about totems and ki foci. Herpaderp.

I think light blade works with dagger implements. Not positive though.

You also forgot Holy Symbols, though in their defense nothing in the Essentials books uses any of those.

edited January 2011
    Hey is the monster book thing for Dark Sun worth picking up even if you're not playing Dark Sun? Please say yes.

edited January 2011
    SJ wrote: »
    Hey is the monster book thing for Dark Sun worth picking up even if you're not playing Dark Sun? Please say yes.

Do you like Megapedes and fire-breathing red dragon/tyrannosaurus rex hybrids?

BTW, here's all the stuff I posted on the last page of the previous thread:

Punny Gamma World enemies (that, as a bonus for this thread, are vampire-inspired):

Lesser Dampwire - These rescue robots were designed to wander wasteland areas and supply clean water to those dying of thirst. These rusty robots now wander around the wastelands of Gamma Terra, searching for anyone to give their overflowing supplies of water to. Unfortunately, not only is the water no longer clean, but it also flows over exposed electrical circuits. Contact with the water results in a creature's electrocution. The dampwires have also suffered damage to their programming, meaning that they have forgotten where exactly a person's mouth is and instead try to force electrified water into their victims' neck with high pressure.

Greater Dampwire - Some dampwires have come into contact with rogue Xi nanobots. The nanobots have overwritten the dampwire's programming and altered its frame to grant it greater combat capabilities. The water tanks of these dampwires are also contaminated with nanobots that have become damaged due to the electrified water. A greater dampwire that "bites" a creature infects its victim with these malfunctioning nanobots, resulting in the unlucky creature's transformation into an insane cyborg dampwire spawn. The dampwire spawn accompany their master into its stronghold, where the greater dampwire builds-up a machine army capable of "scrapping" biological creatures in the region.

I've got two more homebrew powers for Gamma World that I'd like constructive criticism for.

The first is a Speedster power that I got from timejockey's 4E Modern thread. He's looking for constructive criticism, too, so I figured I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

SPLIT-SECOND SWIPE - SPEEDSTER NOVICE
    A quick, light jab in the throat can be more effective than a powerful, yet easily blocked, blow.
    At-Will * Psi, Physical
    Minor Action - Melee or Ranged Weapon
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Dexterity + your level + weapon accuracy – 2 vs AC
    Hit: Dexterity modifier physical damage.

This next one is a ranged Pyrokinetic power that deals damage not just to the target, but to all enemies in the line of effect.

BURNING PITCH - PYROKINETIC NOVICE
    You form a ball of fire and toss it at a distant foe. Burning strands emerge from the flame, lashing those it passes by.
    At-Will * Psi, Fire
    Standard Action - Ranged 10
    Target:
    One enemy
    Attack: Wisdom + your level vs Reflex
    Hit: 1d10 + Wisdom modifier + twice your level fire damage. Enemies in the line of effect between you and the target take fire damage equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's two mutant horned toads I statted-up for Gamma World. The first one in particular is inspired by Dark Sun's jhakar, but not exactly the same. BTW, never mind the "Morale" entry. That's for a house rule of mine that basically just means "this is how much HP this creature loses when I feel like a battle is an assured PC victory and want it to end soon".

bloodtoadhounder.png

bloodtoadensanguinary.png

edited January 2011

the monsters in it freaking own and you could probably drop most of them into another setting. you could use any of the Sorcerer Kings as boss dudes, too.

sQwJu.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know the auto-build function of the CB is bad, but it just made me a Hexblade with Staff Expertise, Bow Expertise, Sling Expertise, and Shield Finesse. I just don't even know.

edited January 2011
    Awesome, thanks guys. Are there any kinds of awesome elementals/dragons in there? Because I want to make both of those a big thing once my characters get to the end of heroic/early paragon, and eventually want to throw elemental-energy infused dragons at them as bosses.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    death to small size, campaign for medium gnomes and halflings
    Death to size descriptors altogether!

Viva La Unification!

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
    edited January 2011
    Awesome, thanks guys. Are there any kinds of awesome elementals/dragons in there? Because I want to make both of those a big thing once my characters get to the end of heroic/early paragon, and eventually want to throw elemental-energy infused dragons at them as bosses.
    You're going to love the elemental drakes, then.

Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    You're going to love the elemental drakes, then.

Wha? WhaaaaaA? YESSS

• hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think light blade works with dagger implements. Not positive though.

You also forgot Holy Symbols, though in their defense nothing in the Essentials books uses any of those.

Nope. Light Blade Expertise's bonus effect only applies to weapon attacks. Staff Expertise is the only Expertise feat that have a bonus effect for both weapon and implement usage. Actually, it's two different, explicitly written effects: +1 reach as a weapon, no OAs as an implement. Heavy Blade's Expertise effect is +2 to AC vs OAs, which I suppose applies for both weapon and implement users, but ... uh...

edited January 2011

they aren't really dragons (dragons are DEAAAD) but there are big angry lizards called drakes.

sQwJu.png
    edited January 2011
    drakes can be turned into bigger things, so that is okay

edited January 2011
    streever wrote: »
    TomeWyrm: Some of the gamma world rules might be applicable--if you want the firearms to take on an "encounter" power feel.

Gamma World firearms actually aren't really that different to regular ranged weapons. They do more dice (2d8 and such, which is a bit above most weapons in DnD for example) but they otherwise are just long range, sometimes more accurate weapons. The omega tech stuff is like a limited use encounter power and I think really adds to the feel of the game significantly.

Yes and to answer a later question, it has an entire theme section where you can add elemental powers to any monster you like.

edited January 2011
    The smallest elemental drake is huge.

They start at level 18 (Solos) and go through level 24.

edited January 2011

Drakes are some of the strongest solos in 4th edition.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

No Flail expertise with a neat secondary bonus, either.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991