As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Robot Wars - SRW Z2 (PSP) - Break the World!

PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
STAND, WARRIORS OF FATE! CRUSH THE ENEMY WITH A SWORD OF LIGHTNIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGG!

Edtzq.jpg

Welcome, sons of the earth, to the SUPER ROBOT WARS thread, wherein we shall discuss giant robots, hot blood and explosions. Always explosions.

eAcyw.jpg

Always.

*~*

So what’s this Super Robot Wars thing, then?

We all loved giant robot shows, right? Watching stuff like Gundam, Evangelion, Macross, Transformers, Mazinger et al as kids, did you ever think to yourself ‘Self, do you know what would be really, really awesome? If all these robots joined up together and ran around beating up anything that got in the way. That would be really, really awesome.’

Well. It happened. It’s happened since 1991, in fact, in this very series.

lnOD2.jpg

Well, except for transformers. Nobody likes transformers.

Super Robot Wars is a series of strategy-RPGs, where giant robots from anime series throughout the history of Japanese animation come together and defeat anything that looks at them funny. Everything from the grandfathers of the Super Robot genre like Mazinger Z to the newest iterations of Gundam and niche shows like Dancougar and Dai-Guard have found their way into this series.

Then I'll convey my voice to you... Raideen's voice! Don't abandon hope!!

One of the things Super Robot Wars has going for it is the presentation values. In bringing the sprites down to their super-deformed, gameplay state, they retain impressive animations, special effects, and in the higher-end SRWs, the voices of the characters from the anime themselves.

Efr9t.jpg

Below is a sample of a unit’s attacks from SRW @3. If you’re interested, there are dozens of these kinds of videos all over Youtube for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2paRDBFiXI

Hey, why didn’t you show us an English video instead?

Uh.

Well.

I have no interest in games whose souls are bound by region-locks!

Here’s the thing. The various anime that comprise the shows have been farmed out across different studios in the West for localization – trying to release any of the games here would be an absolute licensing nightmare. And that’s not getting into the shows that are very… um, let us say, Japanese in their own special way.

DVx0e.jpg

The above robot is powered by orgasms. I wish I was kidding.

So far, only two proper SRW games have ever been released stateside, and they were conveniently made entirely out of original characters, thus sidestepping the licensing issues. Both of these games were for the GBA, so they’re kinda hard to get ahold of now.

M0KWK.jpg

So, they’re all in Japanese? How do I play them, then?

Well, there are several translation patches for various games out right now, most notably Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (PS1) and Super Robot Wars Judgment (GBA). But to be honest, learning how to play a SRW game doesn’t take very much work at all.

http://akurasu.net/wiki/index.php?title=Super_Robot_Wars

That link above is the akurasu wiki, complete with menu translations for most of the games. A few minutes with that, and mucking about with trial and error, and you should be set. The interface for SRW never changes drastically anyway, so if you’ve played one you should feel comfortable with the others.

Yeah, but why should I spend time to learn how to play it? What’s so good about these games?

Well, first off they’re a set of decent sRPGs (some games are, of course, better than others) usually with varied goals, route splits, dozens of unlockable secrets, and all that sort of stuff.

Then, of course, there’s the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Btlw4PFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-ywymYh7E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDwpfXODVB4

And the pretty animations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXOoSImn_qE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-okDKNh3v8&translated=1

And lastly, if you happen to speak Japanese and are a fan of giant robot shows, SRW has a tendency to take shows that had noticeable flaws, and fix the story with them. One of the more recent examples was Super Robot Wars Z, where they took the gigantic mess that was Gundam Seed Destiny’s plot and reworked it into something enjoyable.

Well, where do I start?

754Cc.jpg

Well, that’s a little too far back, actually. Super Robot Wars Original Generation 1 and 2 provide a good starting point in English, but they’re unfortunately extremely hard to find by now. There’s a fan translation patch for Super Robot Wars J from the Romhacking Aerie, but trying to find a legit copy of J is similarly harrowing. And then there’s the fan translation for Alpha Gaiden, which unfortunately, not only begins where Alpha 1 left off (leaving newcomers confused) but is in fact one of the harder SRWs and not really fit for a beginner.

Alternatively, you could forgo the idea of English SRW and try Super Robot Wars MX for the PSP, or Super Robot Wars W, K and/or L for the DS. The systems in question are region free, so you should be able to avoid the hassle of modding your console. (Don’t try SRW A Portable. Seriously, don’t.)

If, however, you don’t mind tinkering with your console, then Super Robot Wars Z for the PS2 is a very good bet, not only is it agreed to be in the top tier of the SRW games, it’s also the beginning of a new series.

A new series about to be continued, in fact.

SUPER ROBOT WARS Z2 HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED

cFUhc.jpg

That’s right, kiddies. Release date April 14th 2011 for the Playstation Portable, it’s promising to have titanic cast list, with the new inclusions (never been in SRW before) below bolded.

Zambot 3
Daitarn 3
Trider G7
God Sigma
Baldios
Godmars
Xabungle
Votoms
Votoms: The Last Red Shoulder
Votoms: Pailsen Files

Orguss
Zeta Gundam
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Wing
Gundam X
Turn A Gundam
Gundam SEED Destiny
Gundam 00 S1
Dancouga
Dancouga Nova
Shin Change Getter Robo
Shin Mazinger Impact
Dai Guard

The Big O
Overman King Gainer
Gravion Zwei
Aquarion
Code Geass S1
Gurren Lagann Gurren-hen
Macross Frontier + False Songstress
Eureka 7 Pocket Full of Rainbows

Yes, you read that right. Gurren Lagann will be in a SRW game. Now will you people stop bellyaching about it?

You’ll note that the series list consists of several ‘Season 1’s. That’s because SRWZ2 is in fact going to be split into 2 chapters, with the second half to be released later. SRWZ2-1, otherwise known as the ‘world-breaking chapter’, has still been reassured to have more missions that any other handheld SRW in recent history, and is a full game in its own right.

The first PV has been released. No gameplay footage, unfortunately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc3731k60Zg

*~*

Useful Links

www.tvtropes.org – Because it is always useful. Always.
http://akurasu.net/wiki/index.php?title=Super_Robot_Wars – Helpful for newcomers to learnt the menus and for people to check up on the secrets
http://www.suparobo.jp/srw_lineup/srw_z2/index.html - Main Page for SRWZ2.

And with that, I leave you with a final parter:

Ce2H7.png

Let’s rock, boyo.

SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
Pureauthor on

• Options
    MonkeyDLuffyMonkeyDLuffy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't forget Votoms Red Shoulder Document: Roots of Ambition.

(Awesome OP, by the way.)

MonkeyDLuffy on
    I am very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I hear someone on the fourtubes is making a SRW Game Maker. Anyone else hear anything about it so far?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did like Endless Frontier, even though it's less SRW and more Namco X Capcom.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good op

I really need to sit down and finish Z at least once before Z2 comes out

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nice op.

Man I loved Z a lot. Played it through many times, only matched by W. The Z2 announcement just came out of nowhere for me and I didn't really comprehend what I was seeing until the day after.

The first Z2 PV is supposed to be release sometime soon in Japan. It was mentioned on the SRW blog that it is just the opening however.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also the first image in the OP just reminds me how much I miss Gunbuster

It's been almost six years since it showed up in SRW now I think

Maddoc on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Will this finally be the SRW to replace Alpha 3 as my go-to game for ridiculously hot blooded damage dealing?

*Watches TTGL again*

It just might!

Akilae on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gurren Lagann!! Finally!!!

AND mother f'in Votoms? AND DAI GUARD!?

Holy shit it is my birthday 6 days later.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They cannot possibly contain the amount of ridiculousness that Code Geass and Gurren Lagann brings simultaneously on one disc. It's just physically impossible!

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a perfectly good thread up. ; ; y u do dis

Kidding. SWRZ2! YAY!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    darksteel wrote: »
    They cannot possibly contain the amount of ridiculousness that Code Geass and Gurren Lagann brings simultaneously on one disc. It's just physically impossible!

farnsworth.jpg

Good news! This will most certainly be a downloadable title as well!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In general related weeaboo mecha gaming ness news, 2011 is a great year.

Later this month:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmx56Ma63I

February 3rd:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn0F_ArSWvw

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Well, except for transformers. Nobody likes transformers.

You shut your whore mouth

Also hell yes Dai-Guard

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Z2 has basically everything I could reasonably want from SRW, except Diebuster.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't even know this series existed till I opened this thread today.

now I have a dying urge to play them since Big O is in it

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sadly, Big O has only been in SRW D for GBA and Z for PS2 up until now.

Unfortunately, D is a bit archaic and armor doesn't do much so Super Robots like Big O get the shaft.

Fortunately, Z is one of the best SRW games to date and Big O is awesome in it, which makes up entirely for D.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011