Options

Purchasing a Nintendo (3)DS(XL)(i?) and Puzzle games

The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly FoxUnderneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so i'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to portable gaming. My last portable console was an original gameboy and the last game i bought was Killer Instinct...

But now i'm pondering about buying a DS for my fiancée.
reasons: she loves puzzles (sodoku, jigsaw, wordgrids etc), and we're quite fond of abstract boardgames like pylos, quatro, pentago etc.

So the reason the DS looks interesting to me is because of those dr layton games. She's not much of a gamer, and i was wonder if this kind of games are casual enough for her?
Or are they too childish/ easy for a 26yr old?

She played mario as a kid, who didn't, but i haven't seem her game in years, altough she did mention that the DS looked interesting. Are there more GOOD games in the line of dr layton? or perhaps some light platformers?
Nothing to turbo or hyperstimulating (she can't stand looking as i play TF2 for instance. Too much turning and shooting and whatnot).
So would i be able to find a lot of nice games that she can pick up and play without forcing her into a monthlong campaign?

Also, any opinions on what model of gameboy to take? There seem to be so many. There's a 3D version coming out? will it give you splitting headaches?

i know a lot of this stuff is pretty basic stuff i could google, but i have a feeling a lot of guys here try to share their gaminghobby without imposing it, and i'd love some feedback.

TLDR: MY GF LOVES PUZZLES. WILL SHE LIKE A DS AND DR LAYTON? ARE THERE OTHER NICE GAMES SHE'D LIKE?

The_Glad_Hatter on

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dr. Layton is great, Super Scribblenauts is even greater... er.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Jason00Jason00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My wife is 100% a non-gamer. She has wanted to play a few games (Deadly Premonition for one) but can't get past the entry barrier of the controller (too complex/too many buttons/etc), and the only console game I have ever gotten her to play is Wii Sports.

She has been able to play Professor Layton, though, since everything is controlled through the DS stylus. It's a perfect game for a non-gamer, but the puzzles are not aimed at children. While some of the puzzles are easy/common sense, a lot of them do require actual thought and effort to solve. I would say a DS + Professor Layton is perfect for your girlfriend.

You might also try the Brain Age games, since they are also puzzle games that are easy to get into. My wife digs Cooking Mama, too, but I didn't really like it so I can't recommend it.

Jason00 on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    At this point, you should hold out for a 3DS, if you can afford $250-300 (speculated price). The initial critical reception is pretty positive on the 3D imagery, it'll be compatible with all original DS games, and it should be in all territories by March.

Layton is excellent, don't worry about it being just for kids. New Super Mario Bros. and Picross 3D are also highly recommended. You should also see if she can get into RPGs; Chrono Trigger and the upcoming Paper Mario 3DS should be good.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can turn off the 3D effect on the 3DS.

The Ace Attoreny games are great. I wish Capcom would release a 3-pack with the original ones or something. They are rather expensive.

corky842 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are also a wide range of puzzle games on the DSi network, so I'd suggest getting at least a DSi.

One problem with waiting for the 3DS is that you might be out of luck finding one for the first few months after release.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, her birthday in the end of february. I could hold off the gift a bit, but if what you say about availability is true, then i think i'll be going for a.. *googles$ Nintendo DSi XL. That's the biggest, fanciest one out atm, right?

i read that the 3ds's battery life would be pretty bad. But still, it's magical glasses-free 3D. Difficult choice. 250.. That's like.. xbox or PS3 money.. (not that i'm not willing to spend that much on her, it's spending it on a teeny tiny thing)

Rhesus, i didn't even know they had some kind of App store thinghy, i'll definately look into it. didn't even know those things had wifi. great!

also, is it okay to assume that the DS's graphics are somewhere between the N64 and the gamecube?

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Once the 3DS is out, the others should drop in price. The 3DS is going to be huge and if you don't have any DS systems now, you may want to get one of those so that you can borrow it for some games yourself.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, her birthday in the end of february. I could hold off the gift a bit, but if what you say about availability is true, then i think i'll be going for a.. *googles$ Nintendo DSi XL. That's the biggest, fanciest one out atm, right?

i read that the 3ds's battery life would be pretty bad. But still, it's magical glasses-free 3D. Difficult choice. 250.. That's like.. xbox or PS3 money.. (not that i'm not willing to spend that much on her, it's spending it on a teeny tiny thing)

Rhesus, i didn't even know they had some kind of App store thinghy, i'll definately look into it. didn't even know those things had wifi. great!

also, is it okay to assume that the DS's graphics are somewhere between the N64 and the gamecube?

I'd peg the DS graphics at N64 levels quite honestly.
    The 3DS is somewhere between the gamecube and 360 though.

I agree with Improvolone regarding when to buy a system. Wait for the 3DS release regardless of whether you get a 3DS or DSi,

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i read that the 3ds's battery life would be pretty bad.
    Three to five hours, depending on how much 3D stuff is going on. For me that's enough of a reason not to go there. If it's not intended to play a lot of 3D games on, there's really no need to splurge this kind of money on a 3D capable device. If 3D gaming is the goal, I'm pretty sure a battery life of a little over three hours is going to be annoying as all hell.

brain operator on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to redact part of my previous statement and say that if you want a 3DS you should wait till the next version comes out. Nintendo ALWAYS puts out an "omg so much better" version not too far down the line when it comes to their handhelds.
    But wait for the 3DS launch to buy system, there will be zillions of used DSis at Gamestop if you're into that sort of thing.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd do a DSi or XL depending on your budget. And Layton isn't too childish for a 26 year old - my mom plays it and loves it and she's in her 50s. I'd recommend Picross 3d to go with it as well - it's insanely good and very approachable for a new gamer.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So basically, whatever it is i'll end up buying (man are those difficult to compare), it will have to wait untill after her birthday, and layton is definately the way to go.

Thanks alot guys.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to echo the recommendations for Picross 3D! It's everything I liked about sudoku but even more engaging and satisfying.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i read that the 3ds's battery life would be pretty bad.
    Three to five hours, depending on how much 3D stuff is going on. For me that's enough of a reason not to go there. If it's not intended to play a lot of 3D games on, there's really no need to splurge this kind of money on a 3D capable device. If 3D gaming is the goal, I'm pretty sure a battery life of a little over three hours is going to be annoying as all hell.
    Just wanted to clarify that this is based off of a tiny blurb translated off of a spec sheet, nothing has actually been stated or clarified with an interview or stage show.

It would not be dependent on "how much 3D stuff is going on," because devs have said that when 3D is turned off they can use the extra power for anti-aliasing and other features. It's dependent on screen brightness and wi-fi.

The DSi XL is also listed at 3 to 4 hours on a similar Japanese spec sheet. This is calculated at maximum brightness, which is blindingly bright, and with wi-fi on. It's also too conservative, short by at least an hour, and under normal brightness conditions tends to last 6 to 8 hours.

Best not to assume anything.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It would not be dependent on "how much 3D stuff is going on," because devs have said that when 3D is turned off they can use the extra power for anti-aliasing and other features. It's dependent on screen brightness and wi-fi.
    You're going to have to explain to me how the part before "because" follows from the part after it.

brain operator on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You're going to have to explain to me how the part before "because" follows from the part after it.
    The same amount of battery power will be consumed whether 3D is in use or not. The extra processing power freed up by lack of 3D will be used to create other effects in 2D, thus continuing to expend the same amount of battery power.

In other words, the CPU is always running at 100%, 3D or not.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I donno about that. FF1-PSP, for example, uses a lot less battery than Dissidia PSP. I think they *can* use all those features and stuff, but they don't necessarily *have* to. Having a CPU running 100% automatically is bad design all around.

If the comment about the DSiXL official Battery life is true, we probably don't have to worry about the 3DS. It's battery should last plenty long enough. Mine lasts hours and hours and hours, even with the brightness up and the WiFi on. Definitely longer than 3 hours.

As for buying one... wait. The 3DS will be out in March, apparently March 1st... which is right before Pokemon Black. Gotta Catch'm All! (My wallet hates me.)

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Noggin & Lohan, Thank you for the picross 3D tip! That really looks like something she could enjoy.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The same amount of battery power will be consumed whether 3D is in use or not. The extra processing power freed up by lack of 3D will be used to create other effects in 2D, thus continuing to expend the same amount of battery power.

In other words, the CPU is always running at 100%, 3D or not.
    Will be used or can be used? If you turn 3D off, will other power-consuming effects automatically get enabled?

brain operator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Can be. It would be... a stretch to assume all games will do something like that, since it's a huge expenditure in resources. In fact, if I had to guess, we'll never see a game that does it.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Can be. It would be... a stretch to assume all games will do something like that, since it's a huge expenditure in resources. In fact, if I had to guess, we'll never see a game that does it.
    Then my original rationale stands.

brain operator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd be really surprised if the battery life was really that short. It's like computer batteries. Officially, your laptop battery's supposed to last like, an hour. Two at most. Unofficially, they last for a good deal longer for that, especially under light load. The official version is just so they don't have to replace them under warranty (like, ever), since by the time they decay to the point that they don't last an hour, it's past their special warranty date.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Unofficially, they last for a good deal longer for that, especially under light load.
    That's pretty much my point though. I wouldn't be buying this thing for light load use. I'd be buying it for that 3D stuff. If I'm mostly ever going to use it for light load gaming, there's really no reason to shell out that kind of money just because the device could handle heavy duty shit in theory.

brain operator on