As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rifts - Chapter 1 : BAH! The Midwest!] Release the Kraken!

12345679»

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I assume my bike is in the wreckage somewhere? Bah. Uncool.

Attack 4: His head reeling, Josh brings his forearm plasma gun (and it's fire-linked railgun weapon arm) to bear on one of the SAMAS and lets fly with a burst. Firelinked weapons, 10 round burst with the linked railgun. (3d6+4=15, 6d6=12, 3d6+4=14, 2d6=5) Railgun roll is a crit (double 3s) on the minion. I assume he's dead.

Attack 5: As his first target spirals out of the sky, Josh takes aim at the other wing man, giving him the same treatment. Forearm plasma gun and firelinked rail gun on other minion SAMAS. (3d6+4=13, 6d6=25, 3d6+4=18, 2d6=12) Another railgun crit. The second SAMAS minion is down.

Waste of a good suit, Josh thinks to himself.

Attack 6: With the chaff out of the way, Josh sets to the business of reaping the wheat. Taking aim on the remaining SAMAS, Josh looses a volley of mini missiles. They streak toward the enemy, leaving a trail of blue smoke in their wake. Volley of 5 plasma mini missiles. Damage will be multiplied by 10. (3d6+4=16, 5d6=22) SAMAS takes 220 damage. Bringing his total taken to 243. All 5 missiles impact the SAMAS suit, delivering their payload and leaving him significantly damaged.

I never quite understood how blast weapons work. Did I just deal 220 damage to only his main body, or were his various subsystems (wings, propulsion, head, etc) caught in the blast as well. It's about to become academic, but it's an interesting question that I've only made judgment calls one, never fully answered.

Attack 7: Though pleased with the effectiveness of his first volley, Josh knows he has to take more steps to end the Striker SAMAS as a threat. He empties two more of his mini missile tubes at the oncoming power armor. Volley of 2 plasma mini missiles. Damage will be multiplied by 10. (3d6+4=17, 2d6=6) SAMAS takes 60 damage. 303 total. The missiles strike home, but again fail to disable the suit.

That was less effective than I'd hoped. Ok, let's just give him everything.

Attack 8: Josh levels his weapon arms at the stubborn survivor, giving him both barrels. Plasma cannon and firelinked railgun with full strength burst. (3d6+4=17, 6d6=16, 3d6+4=15, 4d6=15) That's two hits for a total of 32 damage, bringing this guy to 335 total and disabling his SAMAS.

As the final SAMAS sparks and sputters out of the air, its armor smoking from the plasma onslaught, Josh turns toward the wreckage of the Kraken and starts scanning. For survivors. And his bike. Not necessarily in that order.

TL;DR: Josh has used 40 rail gun rounds and 7 mini missiles. All three SAMAS are down.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm losing my mind, rolling 20's. sorry, as zed goes first, I'll just try to hit one of them on the way down.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    rucdoc wrote: »
    I'm losing my mind, rolling 20's. sorry, as zed goes first, I'll just try to hit one of them on the way down.
    Your 23 damage is kind of crucial for dropping that SAMAS. I guess I just assumed you could make your attack before my flurry of actions.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

3d6-1: 11 [3d6=4, 4, 4]

so I rolled three fours, do I get a cookie?

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Not to nitpick, but doesn't powered armor and the like have sonic dampeners and whatnot to protect against really loud noises on the battlefield?

Jim & Josh: GO GET 'EM!

Yes, they do - but the Boom Gun specifically states that even such dampeners do not fully compensate for the sonic boom effect (people in Power Armor / vehicles are deafened for 1d4 rounds instead of 2d4).
    I never quite understood how blast weapons work. Did I just deal 220 damage to only his main body, or were his various subsystems (wings, propulsion, head, etc) caught in the blast as well. It's about to become academic, but it's an interesting question that I've only made judgment calls one, never fully answered.

I have the sub-systems take some collateral damage if the main body is struck with a blast weapon (1d6 M.D.).

EDIT: That's just fiat, though; the rules don't ever mention having blast weapons do anything special to sub-systems.

EDIT x2: Oh, and yes Zed - your cycle is totally wrecked.

Did anyone else have a vehicle stowed on the Kraken? If you did, it's pretzel-shaped. You can thank Lucy. :P

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought it was big and sturdy enough to handle at least one shot....

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    Did anyone else have a vehicle stowed on the Kraken? If you did, it's pretzel-shaped. You can thank Lucy. :P

Gee, thanks.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I spent three goddamn actions jacking that cycle.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANN!

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Mischief managed. :twisted:

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I should have just kept it outside the damn thing.

Lesson learned. I guess I'll just have to steal that helicopter to cover my losses.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    For the new round;

Initiative (3d6-2=11)

Eww. That -8 hurts. I did get two 6s, though. Do I get anything shiny for that?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    For new round

3d6-5: 0 [3d6=1, 3, 1]

WOOHOO I crit failed and I got a 0.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Still airborne, Mace shakes his head to clear out the ringing in his ears.

Initiative = 15

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Waiting on Initiative rolls by Void slayer and Octoparrot.

RE-ROLLING INITIATIVE AT THE END OF EVERY MELEE IS SUPER FUN! IT SAYS SO RIGHT IN THE BOOK!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, no, it is not. I assure you.

initiative: 12

I didn't apply any modifiers, unsure if rolling around in that chaos effected it any.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sorry, didn't know that's what you were waiting for until you outright said it.

So Initiative.

3d6-5=5

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Black Lightning is upon the party, weapons blazing, before the Kraken's tractor can reach them. A blast from it's nose-mounted railgun leaves a smoldering hole in the torso of Josh's Glitter Boy Killer (Crit! Rolled an auto-dodge, but it didn't crit. 38 damage to the main body of the GBK). She then turns and fires a salvo of five missiles at Big Jim's vehicle; he shoots one out of the air, but the rest are not caught by the explosion - the grackle tooth abandons his cycle just before the warheads blow it into glowing fragments (150 MD to the main body of Big Jim's 50/50. It was destroyed. Big Jim is prone and used two of his attacks to try and shoot the volley out of the sky). A shot from the chopper's nose laser goes wide, melting a gash in the asphalt.

The Black Lightning is hovering at a distance of 3000 feet from the PCs.

INITIATIVE

1. Black Lightning Pilot (17)
    2. Black Lighting Gunner 1 (15)
    3. Black Lighting Gunner 2 (13)
    4. Josh (11)
    5. Mace (7)
    6. Deimos (5)
    7. Athren (4)
    8. Big Jim (0)

Note: Boss fight!

Fighting big vehicles with multiple crew members is incredibly dangerous in Rifts, as you'll no doubt discover.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Josh sets off at a run in the direction of the attacking helicopter, seemingly oblivious to the damage taken by his armor.

This is one hell of a test drive.

Relying on the computerized systems, Josh lets fly with his last three mini missiles, hoping to take out the rotors on this thing before it can do anymore damage.

x10 plasma mega damage to the rotors.Aimed Shot, uses two total attacks, boo hoo I've got 7 more this melee. (3d6+6=19, 3d6=15) By my accounting, that hits and does 150 MD, plus 75 MD to a blast radius of 15 feet. Seeing as how the chopper is... 15 feet high and 17 feet wide, that gets the vast majority of it. Including the rotors, which is really the part I was worried about, which each have 25 MDC and are now twisted, glowing hunks of metal. Do you want to roll crash damage, or should I? :twisted:

Edit: Had to fix some of this math because I couldn't target the rotors directly with mini missiles. I think. Otherwise I just would have taken them out straight on.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Why did you make two to-hit rolls?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    Why did you make two to-hit rolls?
    3d6+5 is the to-hit. 3d6 is the damage (divided by 10 because mythweavers is sketchy with multiplication).

One attack roll, one volley of three mini missiles.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    ...And one successful dodge.

Chopper remains airborne and menacing.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shoulda saved one more to make it impossible to dodge.

Dammit.

Aim for the rotors, guys. Gotta have faith.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    well looks like Big Jim is hoofing it. Know I won't be in range to shoot back this melee, but next melee gonna use the big gun to melt me some enemy and yes I wanna dodge or shoot down anything coming my way.

Big jim gets to his feet and takes off towards the copter. He needs to have a talk with the guy who just nuked his ride. The conversation with supply when he reported in wasn't going to be a fun one, and he wanted to have it paid for before he has to have that conversation.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Mace wheels his Strike SAM in a tight spiral as he gains altitude, getting above the Black Lightning. And away, Mace will try to put some distance between himself and the coptor.

Targeting the Black Lightnings rotor assembly, Mace waits for the comforting tone to sound in his ears (still ringing from the Glitter Girl's blast) and launches a full wave of Mini-Missiles from his wings. 6 plasma missiles corkscrew through the sky at the Black Lightning.

Strike: 3d6+5 = 16! (If that hits, it will do 6d6 x 10 damage = 130!)
    Lame die rolls, but at least that helps some... Edit: I mentioned in the IC section above, but I'm targeting the rotors with this attack.

Mace at all times will use his superior maneuverability to stay above and behind the Black Lightning at all times. Feel free to dodge or shoot down missiles as needed.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Deimos reholsters his pistol and takes off running through the debris field to wherever the Kraken's cab currently is, intent on finding little miss Prosek.

I only have a 2d6 gun that can hit that range, so I'm not going to be able to go as toe-to-toe. I'm also attempting to use the wreckage around as much as possible for cover. Speed of 35.

Edit: Did someone talk to Gaddez? Is he done?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ...Game died before the first encounter was done.

It's like deja-fucking-vu.

I swear, I'm packing my Rifts books into a box and never looking at them again. I mean it this time.

I will not give these things another opportunity to light my chest hair on fire.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You must set them on fire to exorcise the spirits, it's the only way.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thats too bad. Try killing off the underperforming players in horrific and kewl ways and see who's left?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What? It died because Gaddez bailed?

Why are we not playing.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There's a lot of twisted wreckage laying around for people to be trapped in.

Just sayin'.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    As Deimos runs through the wreckage toward the Kraken's cab, he notices Patty's still-occupied boots jutting out from underneath a particularly hefty piece of scrap metal. They're in perfect condition.

"I'll come back for those later" he muses to himself.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *cough*

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG