As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting worrying texts from a number I don't recognize

shorttiminshorttimin regularRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Just today I've started getting worrying texts (depressed, doesn't like life kinda stuff) from a number that's not blocked (I can see the number) but I don't have in my phone book. It sounds like someone I know, or who knows a mutual friend. The friend doesn't recognize the number either, and she's asking around.

I've tried yellowpages.com for reverse lookup and nothing pops up. Every other place I can google costs money. I'm a little hesitant to do this because I don't know if I'm just getting messed with. Anybody know any other ways to do a reverse look up on a phone number?

shorttimin on

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    try a search on http://pipl.com/ it's pretty good for finding out who owns a phone number

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    why can't you call the number?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    why can't you call the number?

Tried that, no answer. Same from the friend.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cant you just text back and say "Sorry, this is John (or whatever your name is), i dont have your number in my phone. Mike (or whoever you think it is), is that you?"

Seems like the logical next step...

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alternatively:

"This is too serious to discuss via txt. Call me when you have the chance."

or something to that effect.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm gonna try that, unless the texts get way too bad.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    And of course, if the texts start to get *really* worrying, you can always give the number, along with your concerns, to the proper authorities.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    And of course, if the texts start to get *really* worrying, you can always give the number, along with your concerns, to the proper authorities.

This, although I'd try and make a contact first. Is the phone number in your local area?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ok, problem solved, identity found and I'm talking to the person now. It's someone who moved away a while ago. thanks for the suggestions everyone.

shorttimin on