As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No[Chat]Turne: A thread in memory

1444546474850»

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i really wonder how american accents sound to other english speakers

do we sound stupid to them, like how british accents sound refined, or aussie ones sound laid back

Southern accepts generally sound like DURR HERP DERP to Europeans, but most other American accents are fine. (While spoken at normal volume.)

Ah do declare that the dulcet tones of the refahned Country Gentulman is a dahlect originating from these Unahted States that Ah fahnd most pleasureable upon mah ears.

The funny thing is, people in the US have both of these opinions about the same accent. A lot of them thing HERP DERP, and another large group find them pleasant.

Tis a crazy thing.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    someone make the coughing stooooopp
    Mucinex DM plus drink tea like everyone else said.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    I find that dumb things sound dumber in an American accent.

stereotypes lol

Echo on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would say outside a few sections it is less an American accent more of a North American accents.

A lot of Canadians always reminded me of people from like North Dakota and the Great Lakes region to the North.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Canadians don't think they have an accent

Maritimes folk do, definitely

and the Francophones, sure

but the rest of us? Nahhhh

We say 'broodle' instead of brutal.

And a few other little quirks like that.

Otherwise, we sound American.

Aren't you American?

I think the whole t->d thing is common to all Western American accents. I grew up near San Francisco and say broodle, eadding and reddicle instead of brutal, eating and reticle.

Shivahn on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    someone make the coughing stooooopp

** spins around **

** waves hands **

** performs mystical chant **

Did it work?

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sir Ah say Sir, Ah must protest at your choice of undergarments to wear whahle we suffer this unseasonable weather. Your fondness for briefs makes a confounding situation near intolerable to a being of mah tastes. Ah do declare that Ah must ask you to consider boxers, lest me and mah companion consider alternate arrangements.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    For some reason a lot of British and European actors tend to adopt Southern accents when playing Americans even when it makes no sense in context. Christopher Plummer did a bit of this when he played Mike Wallace in The Insider and it was kind of grating because Mike Wallace is a real person who sounds about as Southern as my left nut.

The Southern accent is a left over of an English accent so it is probably easier for them to pick up than say a Brooklyn or a standard Midwest.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I missed the LoLs again.

Damn my timing.

Quid on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I am off for the night. My relief is here and I am going to the ladyfriend's to watch Death Note (even though spoilers that I clicked in [chat] ruined it for me a few days ago, but she doesn't know that).

Be good [chat]ters.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Canadians don't think they have an accent

Maritimes folk do, definitely

and the Francophones, sure

but the rest of us? Nahhhh

We say 'broodle' instead of brutal.

And a few other little quirks like that.

Otherwise, we sound American.

Aren't you American?

I think the whole t->d thing is common to all Western American accents. I grew up near San Francisco and say broodle, eadding and reddicle instead of brutal, eating and reticle.

Fluffy Cass and I are all from Toronto-area and we do all of those things.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    For some reason a lot of British and European actors tend to adopt Southern accents when playing Americans even when it makes no sense in context. Christopher Plummer did a bit of this when he played Mike Wallace in The Insider and it was kind of grating because Mike Wallace is a real person who sounds about as Southern as my left nut.

The Southern accent is a left over of an English accent so it is probably easier for them to pick up than say a Brooklyn or a standard Midwest.

Christopher Plummer's Canadian.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I was very interested to learn that today's British RP is a modern invention and that older British English actually sounded a lot more like American accents.

Echo on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buffy is kind of painful to watch.

It's such a girly show, I don't understand why I'm watching it.

Daxon on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Fluffy Cass and I are all from Toronto-area and we do all of those things.

I thought YOU were American too.

My worldview lies before me in pieces.

Shivahn on
    edited January 2011

I suck with names and where people are from. 90% of the time someone post a name in [chat] I have to google it.

Also he was talking about European and British actors. :P

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oldman does a fantastic New York accent

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

ugh

they walk among us

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's time to say fuck it and apply to every retail position in my area, even if it shall crush my very soul.

Inquisitor on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I would guess because it's a more distinct accent, and they feel it easier to affect then a more nuanced one. I would compare it to an american trying to do a Scottish accent rather then a middleclass London one. The former has more affectations you can over do, and have the audience instantly pick up on.

Leitner on
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

All the best shows have female main characters.

Buffy, Daria...

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    During WW2 the BBC actually used radio announcers with strong regional accents to distinguish it from German propaganda.

Echo on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    But how real was the Mike Wallace in The Insider to begin with? Maybe only the name coincides, because Mike Wallaces wiki says nothing about benefiting from nazi dealings.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited January 2011
    And now I am tired, so I shall retire to my chambers.

Echo on
    edited January 2011

ugh

they walk among us

q'blet torr dunar kron!

8oQW

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I think it's time to say fuck it and apply to every retail position in my area, even if it shall crush my very soul.

Since you have your degree apply to about anything that looks like entry level online. Its how I got my current two interviews.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2011
    3785907_std.jpg

apparently he does have time for her mickey mouse bullshit

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Gary Younger-than-now-man

Honk on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Buffy, Daria...

The New Adventures of Old Christine

Veronica's Closet

The Nanny

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Canadians actually have multiple different accents, it's just that most of them sound like various American accents.

People from BC generally sound indistinguishable from norther Californians or people from Washington. People from Ontario sound pretty much like whatever US state they are closest to. Albertans sound a little distinct, but not enough that most people can tell them apart.

The ones that people really notice are Maritimers and Quebecois, because those are very sharply distinct (and in the case of Quebecois, comes from another language) and do not have an American equivalent.

I'm told often I have an "odd accent" because my flat Ontarian accent is a put on, my natural Pavee accent bothers the shit out of me and over the years I've smothered it in trying to sound like every other Ontarian.

Pony on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Not retail but try Bonefish Grill if there's one nearby. Pretty great place to work for.

Quid on
    edited January 2011

Since you have your degree apply to about anything that looks like entry level online. Its how I got my current two interviews.

Yeah, I figure I'll end up working some obscure corner of some office or shop or something for now. But meeeeh income.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2011
    LOL

I was thinking about Inside Man. That also has Christopher Plummer. What the fuck.

Honk on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Buffy, Daria...

Veronica Mars is the best show.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Fluffy: Oh, I've got time for her mickey mouse bullshit if ya know what I mean.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2011
    gundam470 wrote: »

Buffy, Daria...

Veronica Mars is the best show.

YES!

Honk on
    edited January 2011
    okay

what does Pavee sound like

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Fluffy: Oh, I've got time for her mickey mouse bullshit if ya know what I mean.

Say no more say no more
    nodge nodge

Honk on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also the standard american accent as used by hollywood is generally considered normal, because you import your media in such massive amounts, and it's watched constantly since childhood.

Now it does have associations, but like Daxon said, it's really really hard to pin down what they are.

Leitner on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    LOL

I was thinking about Inside Man. That also has Christopher Plummer. What the fuck.

ahahaha

now we know who to cast in the film of "The Man Inside Me"

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.