As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Running a 360 over VGA with 5.1 sound via optical?

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The DjinneratorAt the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
I typically run my 360 over the Microsoft brand VGA adapter and pipe the output to a monitor. Usually I run the sound through a stereo-minijack adapter from the RCA (red/white) plugs on the VGA adapter, and through to a set of stand-alone speakers. Recently, I've finally set up a 5.1 speaker set on my PC (which is right next to my 360) so I can enjoy surround sound. I'm running an Audigy X-Fi on the PC.

The quality of the stand alone speakers I'm using for the 360 are pretty crappy, and dying rapidly. I thought that maybe I could piggy-back the 360 sound through the PC by using the "line in" feature, taking the stereo-mini directly into the X-Fi, but for some reason the sound quality was really crappy for some reason.

After looking into it, I'm wondering - Is there a way I can run an Optical cable from the 360 to the PC for sound? I'm not sure if I need additional parts for the 360 (I only see the red/white RCA cables on the VGA adapter), or if the X-Fi can take an Optical-In through the same port as it takes the stereo-mini line in.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

TetraNitroCubane on