As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PixiStyx Draws Stuff!

PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Artist's Corner
Been practicing anatomy and poses. This pose originally came from from the book "People and Poses." Mostly I concentrated on the elbows. Still trying to get the hang of that perspective on her left arm. Hands need work, though.

DoodlePose.jpg

RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
PixiStyx on

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like this. The tatoos, the clothing, the hair. There is a lot that needs work, though. Notably, your anatomy and perspective.

Her right arm is too long, and it appears to be much longer than her left.

Her left shoulder is not quite correct, either. It looks as though her shoulder is coming forward with her arm, but her arm is reaching back to touch her head.

I'm just going to recommend drawing shapes in perspective. Simple shapes like cubes and cylinders. I also recommend practicing circles in perspective. These things helped me a lot. I still do it.

After this, take another look at your anatomy book and see if you can't break the body into some of those basic shapes.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mostly useless comments but ill do em anyways

there is a weird flattening effect that goes across the chest, almost seeming to smush her breasts and pushes them out farther than her shoulders

The twist that is going through her back doesnt seem to carry all the way through to rotating the shoulders to the right angles and it makes it look like she is hunching forward a bit.

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I see what you mean about the chest. Think it's 'cause I didn't do much shading there to account for the curves. the twist effect is actually due to a slight down angle that isn't conveyed well...the photo had some forshortening, but because I didn't continue it in the legs it looks somewhat odd.

Ah well, gotta save some for next time, right? ;D

Anyhow, it's just a sketch. I'll be doing more as I try to nail down this anatomy+perspective thing. Some muscles move rather counterintuitively.

PixiStyx on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yes, they do. But they are easier to understand when you understand them as one cohesive form and then work your way down to the details.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I can do anatomy pretty well from standard angles, but if foreshortening is involved I get a bit confused. And, of course, many of the more interesting poses involve some degree of foreshortening.

PixiStyx on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's better to practice it anyway.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Another practice sketch. Pose is from the same book. I'm a lot happier with how this one turned out. I think a lot of my trouble is that I jump the gun on inking. I'm so eager to get to it that I start when the sketch isn't fully fleshed out.

DoodlePose2.jpg

PixiStyx on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the 2nd one does look a lot better, was there much of a time difference or size difference between the two?

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Time difference. The first one was pretty rushed. The second one I worked on and at the point where I normally would jump the gun and switch to inks, I didn't. Instead, I fleshed out the pencils more. As a result, I had a better guide.

PixiStyx on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm also working on a digital painting. I just got a new tablet, which has helped a lot. Still. I'm pretty unused to this version of digital art, so thoughts would be much appreciated. This is what I have so far...eventually she'll be holding an obsidian knife.

AngelProcess3-1.jpg

PixiStyx on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The colors are very nice, and I am liking the detail on the wings and her outfit. There are some structural problems though. Her arm seems very stiff, as if in an uncomfortable, or forced pose. And her waste is much too narrow, or too long rather for the way her upper body is position. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in with a more detailed critique?

Edit: God I am bad at annotating my thoughts. I'm sure if you read what I had typed initially it would have read like a retard stammering.

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I have since altered her waist to a better size. You're right about the arm. I'm trying to decide what to do about that. I think it needs a different pose, but I haven't really settled on what that should be.

PixiStyx on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Go stand in front of a mirror doing a couple action poses. See what looks natural and comfortable. Or google some action poses.

ninjai on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are definitely a lot of structural issues with your painting, try flipping your canvas horizontally (and do it often) to highlight flaws that maybe working their way in. You should have a really solid structure down before you start laying those details, at the moment you've worked yourself into a big ass corner.

Mustang on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nice rendering and the concept is cool. Take a pic of yourself in the pose for reference just to get the right angles and proportions right.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah. I don't think adjusting it will be that hard, actually, although I may be speaking too soon. <_< the trouble with photographing yourself is getting the angle and pose just right. It's hard to look at the camera display AND photograph yourself at the same time. I guess that's what webcams are for, though. Jeez, wonder where mine went...

PixiStyx on