As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ebay Issue (Resolved! Buyer closed the case)

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I sold a pinball machine on Ebay earlier this month. The machine was posted with a BIN and a local seller purchased it. He wanted to pay in cash instead of paypal and I agreed. Machine was in perfect working order when it left my house. Now he has been emailing me saying the machine keeps rebooting and that their is shotty solder work that I never did on the machine. He wants me to pay for a replacement board. I think this is a bunch of BS seeing as the machine worked fine prior to moving.

Any help with what can happen/I can do? He brougth it up to Ebay now and is trying to escalate it. This is the first time I have ever sold anything on eBay so this is new to me.

So in summary here is the summary of my transaction:

-Listed pinball machine as used, no refunds on ebay, accepting Paypal
-buyer picked buy it now, but then sent me an email saying he has the cash
-transaction paid for in cash, left positive feedback, he did the same, marked payment as received.
-two weeks later complains it never worked, wants me to pay for his new board.

precisionk on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you sold it as-is, he checked it out at pickup and accepted it, that's the end of it. He's had it for two weeks, he could've trashed it then blamed you for it. You have no obligation at all to pay for anything.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ^

It may sound like a dick thing to do, but that's the jist of it. Did you happen to include the phrase "as-is" in your listing? If so, you're 100% in the clear. Even listing it as "used/no refunds" helps you in this case. The fact that he waited two weeks to complain will hurt his case, also. Pretty sure you can tell this guy to go F himself and you'd be right in doing so.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honestly you are in the clear here, regardless of how you made your ad. If you didn't use paypal, eBay cannot force you to pay him back. He can make his case and eventually leave you negative feed back, but with only one sale, you aren't exactly at a huge loss if you just ditch the account.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's a good thing he paid in cash. Keep the money and explain to him the machine functioned perfectly when he bought it. Did he test it out when he picked it up?

darqness on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    darqness wrote: »
    It's a good thing he paid in cash. Keep the money and explain to him the machine functioned perfectly when he bought it. Did he test it out when he picked it up?

I offered for him to test/play prior to purchase but he declined. If ebay finds him in the right for some reason, since we paid in cash and not in paypal, ebay can't force me to pay them back/ebay can't try to deduct money from my paypal account can they?

precisionk on
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They shouldn't be able to since it was a cash transaction. Who knows what happened to it after he took it? For all you know it dropped or fell over while he was unloading it and is now trying to get you to pay for it.

darqness on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well looks like the case was closed by the buyer. Didn't look like he had any ground to stand on.

precisionk on