As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Pretty sure he's retired, period. That's why he was in the amber and the only part that got out was a hand. It wasn't Nimoy.

Officially he's retired, though he's still doing work when he feels like it. For example Nimoy will be in the next Trek film.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, he made a liar out of me. Friday's episode nailed that home, much less future stuff.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Isn't mirror universe Nimoy supposed to have a mustache?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Isn't mirror universe Nimoy supposed to have a mustache?

A beard.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I stand corrected.

• Options
    Post timeline shenanigans? In this one he shaves!

• Options
    Shaving the beard to hide his identity... the cunning bastard.

• Options
    Soooo.... season finale happened.
    Finally fired that Chekov's "Olivia must DIE" Gun. Still have to wait for that guy who Olivia somehow knows is going to kill her to show up. So she can die. Again. I'm guessing that the "They" Spetember spoke of are his evil brethren coming to steal the women and rape the horses, or something like that.

Guess my previous question was answered about what Bell did to piss off post-Carbonite Walter so bad that he'd take a hand as payment/revenge.

Anyone else wondering what the effects of a mostly-dead body have on a fetus? Can't be good.

• Options
    Eh, it all depends on how loose they want to play it. We saw how their kid will turn out already. Maybe she has some powers like her mother we just didn't see, maybe she'll drop dead 5 minutes after Peter meets her, who knows. And Olivia dying again seems like 1 too many deaths, so they'll kill Red on the other side. Unless they just wrote them out to drop that entire thing, but I still remember when Bolivia and crew were pretty evil so they can revert to that version of the universe to bump people off.
    And they double-fooled me by delaying the reveal that indeed the woman-who-didn't-combust is a 'Get Olivia to use her powers' plant. This'll teach me I'm never wrong! Ms. Plant's methodology needs some work, though, as Olivia could have just shot her dead without using her powers if the plot didn't demand it...

Walter was all trigger happy to put a bullet in Olivia's head, but not Bells? Really? ARGH!

Peter brought a gun, yay! Makes up for him walking into the warehouse in FRONT of the person with the gun earlier...(and again, why no backup...)

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm halfway through the finale, but...

OH MY GOD NIGHTMARE FUEL!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Re: finale
    Walter shooting Bell wouldn't stop Olivia from collapsing the two universes.

My question: what happened when Bell rang the bell? Presumably, he didn't just switch back over to the other universe as he would've just dropped into the ocean. Did he vibrate himself out of existence, or go somewhere else?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Re: finale
    Walter shooting Bell wouldn't stop Olivia from collapsing the two universes.

My question: what happened when Bell rang the bell? Presumably, he didn't just switch back over to the other universe as he would've just dropped into the ocean. Did he vibrate himself out of existence, or go somewhere else?

Not that it mattered in the end due to Plot Armor, but:
    Walter had already stopped Olivia collapsing the universes. And shooting him would stop Bell from doing it again. All NOT shooting him did was put the universes in danger again as well as let Olivia stew with a bullet in her brain that much longer. He should have shot Bell as quickly as he did Olivia and then got busy getting the bullet out.

And of course there's no way to tell where Bell went, other than for sure it wasn't in the ocean to drown...

• Options
    It occurred to me that there is an inconsistency. We've been told that the Observers wanted Peter erased, dead as a child, in order to ensure that their future existence was not placed in jeopardy. But the Observer's insistence on the erasure of Peter started Walter on the whole "God is a bastard" path, which resulted in William turning into Captain Moreau. All that did was put events on a course headed right for the History Eraser Button to be pressed.

What I mean is: why take our Peter if it's just going to get the universes corpsified anyway? Unless William's plot would have been foiled even without Peter around, but I'm not sure how that would have happened, what with Walter bound to the lab at that point.

• Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    I've only seen Part 1 of the end of season 2 parter. But
    Is Astrid dead? :( !

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Afty wrote: »
    I've only seen Part 1 of the end of season 2 parter. But
    Is Astrid dead? :( !

Why not watch the rest to find out? But if you really want to know:
    Yep, dead.
    No, just kidding, she's alive.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Rebecca Mader in the finale was the scairest thing I've ever seen.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Yeah, that was pretty creepy. Though, kind of odd they thought she'd talk...figured they pick her brain directly.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Walter had already stopped Olivia collapsing the universes. And shooting him would stop Bell from doing it again. All NOT shooting him did was put the universes in danger again as well as let Olivia stew with a bullet in her brain that much longer. He should have shot Bell as quickly as he did Olivia and then got busy getting the bullet out.

I took it as:
    Walter had to kill Olivia to save the universes. There was no other foreseeable solution. Kill Olivia immediately, or universe goes asplode.

Once that was done, the universe was at least temporarily safe. Killing Bell at the point would have been more about revenge, and Walter isn't a vengeful murderer. Even if Walter had known that Bell would definitively try his plan again and that they'd be placed in a similar situation down the line, I still don't think he would've shot Bell. Walter just doesn't have it in him.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2012
    I also think that if you cut that last 30 second scene from the end of the episode, you have the perfect series finale, and they filmed it with this in mind, not knowing if a renewal would happen.
    It had September's final needed arc, Olivia's freedom from the cortexaphan, Peter and Olivia finally getting a kid and a normal house picked out, Walter at peace, the two universes no longer in conflict with each other, and Walter saying Astrid's name right.

I have a really hard time thinking they will give me a more satisfying end to the show next year; I almost don't want it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I know that at the end
    "the others" are probably either the rest of the Fringe team or the alternate universe Fringe team, but I really want them to be dozens of alternate versions of Walter

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I know that at the end
    "the others" are probably either the rest of the Fringe team or the alternate universe Fringe team, but I really want them to be dozens of alternate versions of Walter
    Pretty sure the others are the other Observers coming. That ties it into the flash forward episode.

The interesting thing is that the warning comes before our Observer was shot.

• Options
    They had way too much to answer still to end it there. Good thing they aren't. Hopefully they use the extra time wisely. Also:
    They left themselves an opening to re-power Olivia in Walter's little "You're free from cortexaphan" spiel, so I doubt she's "normal".

And if Walter can sacrifice Peter and kill Olivia he damn well can shoot Bell. It was a Plot Assisted Escape.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Just got a chance to view the finale and I would just like to say: I am never sleeping ever again, jesus fucking christ.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Creepy eyeballs on dead bodies brought back to life will forever haunt my dreams. Literally the creepiest thing ive seen on TV. I wish Fringe had gone dark and unsettling more often. I remember the first episode did so pretty well. But really, up until the finale, they havent gone that route much.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Did they ever do anything with Olivia shutting off the light with her cortexaphan brain?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Did they ever do anything with Olivia shutting off the light with her cortexaphan brain?
    It seems so; the more she USED the cortexaphan in her system to do things like fuck with lights, or manipulate peoples' biochemistry, or play long distance rock em sock em robots... the more the energy field she generates wakes up.

By constantly challenging her to use her paranormal capabilities, they furthered their goal of generating the energy needed to destroy the world(s)

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I just finished the season. jesus fuck those eyes never sleeping again. Was the future episode thing what's going to be happening next season I take it? I was very confused when it ended on a cliffhanger and yet didn't ever pick back up.

• Options
    We can only guess at this point. Unless they've dropped hints someone has seen. But you would assume they'll pick that thread back up. Or it'll go the way of "The Pattern"...

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the pattern was the involvement of the alternate side and the consequences of their interference with the fabric of reality

but yes they kind of switched directions with that didn't they

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Just blew through this whole season this week.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed. There's many things that worked, but the overall season was pretty weak.

I think my main issue, about this season anyway, was how little it made sense or fitted in to the overall arc of the show up to this point. I admired their balls in how they handled the new timeline, but nothing makes sense here anymore. And that's one of the things Fringe was always really good at.

For all that it had tons of random shit and plotlines that went nowhere or were overly complicated and obviously made up on the fly, the first three seasons had an overall momentum towards a specific goal that made it work. It really felt like the big picture was known all along. Each season gradually built up the conflict between the two universes, adding new twists and new ideas but still pushing towards some larger goal that kept getting clearer and clearer. And with the Observers lurking in the background as some sort of wildcard we didn't yet understand.

And then this season comes along and it's all gone. Everyone gets along. The whole "erase Peter from the timeline to fix shit" explanation made no sense whatesoever. And that wasn't even relevant to the overall plot. The whole show hit a giant reset button and now we suddenly have a whole new conflict which, while kinda fun (I love David Robert Jones and missed him from S1), didn't fit in at all with the rest of the show and what it had been moving towards.

And now we've got this new Observer arc? Which seems to be the big thing in S5 which is just weird and doesn't make sense from anything we know so far.

The Observers in Ep19 are nothing like the Observers we see. Their abilities aren't even the same. They just seem like standard generic boring jackbooted conquerors. It doesn't fit with anything we've seen to this point and explains nothing about what they've been doing before now.

Anyway, maybe they'll pull it out of their asses next season. We can hope. But I'm not so confident now, which is funny cause I was very confident in this show as of the end of S3.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The final season starts this Friday. Hopefully they end this thing right.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

It's J.J. Abrams. I'm expecting the worst.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    At this point, I'm not even sure how I would want it to end.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

It's J.J. Abrams. I'm expecting the worst.

Is he even really involved with his shows past their launch? I know he wasn't really involved in Lost at all after it started.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    He's generally in the "sort of around during the initial creation and development, then quickly passed off to the designated showrunner" category these days. I don't think he's actually been the main driving creative force in any of the TV shows he's produced since Alias (and even that was eventually given to another showrunner in the later seasons, I believe).

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Anyone else watched it yet?

I thought it was ok, but I think a lot of my detachment comes from being fairly happy with the previous season as a 'show ender'.

• Options
    Yeah, it was ok. They seemed to have dropped the other side, though, which is a shame. And if didn't plan for the plan to be found out...bad plan!

• Options
    I thought the ending seemed sort of...abrupt?
    So did Windmark extract the memories from Walter, or were they destroyed? I'm a little confused about that.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I thought the ending seemed sort of...abrupt?
    So did Windmark extract the memories from Walter, or were they destroyed? I'm a little confused about that.
    I think it was that the music and the flower gave him hope, referencing the previous conversation with one of the Observers

• Options
    No, I get that. I was expecting more of a hook-for-the-season from the end of the premiere, I guess.

oE0mva1.jpg