As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] network

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Things which freak me out: that the world may run out of Helium by 2030.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Wait, the French have Starbucks?

L'Acadamie Francaise must be having conniption fits.

YOU CANNOT HAVE LE CAFE IN A CUP IT MUST BE ESPRESSO!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elki wrote: »
    Nice. I was talking recently to friends about the possibility of moving there; I'd have to learn French first, though.

JUST. DO. THE BRIIITISH. THING. OF TAAAALKING. SLOOOWLY. AAAAAAAND. LLLOOOOOOOUUUDLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Everyone wiill totally understand you then.

I think the Americans have overtaken the British in this. :P

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also what is with that talking slowly and loudly thing. And repeatedly.

Like, does it not occur to people that making every word sound equal in intensity doesn't actually aid in connecting to any culturally common body language, symbols or even let someone figure out what the important parts of the sentences are?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

No more balloons! D:

Kagera on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Like, does it not occur to people that making every word sound equal in intensity doesn't actually aid in connecting to any culturally common body language, symbols or even let someone figure out what the important parts of the sentences are?
    ELM, this is going to come as a shocker, so I want you to sit down:

People are retarded.

Especially Americans.

God, if I were French, I would just do the same thing back to them. "JEEEEE... NE... PAAAARRRRRLLLLLE... PAAAAAAAS... L'ANGLAAAAAIIIIIS!"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

We were talking about this in the pub on Saturday and if I remember correctly we made a pact to start a moon helium harvesting business. We did acknowledge the many technical limitations, but drunken confidence is what it is

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Today I found a "troubled relationships" section in the cards isle at the grocery store. And it's just as awesome as it sounds.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i appreciate when people who don't speak the language speak slowly, clearly, and enunciate

it helps me pick out words i know that would otherwise be lost

so i guess uh whatever to you guys

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Today I found a "troubled relationships" section in the cards isle at the grocery store. And it's just as awesome as it sounds.
    "I'm sorry I drove to the Motel 6 off the freeway and had sex with the babysitter?"

"I'm sorry I've been molesting our daughter for the past ten years?"

"I'm sorry that I've been having sex with interns in the Republican Congressional cloakroom?" (That one is probably a best-seller).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

"I'm sorry you found me in bed with the midget"? :P

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sorry you fell down the stairs

Bitch

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "I'm sorry I lied and lost our house in a game of poker."

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »
    i appreciate when people who don't speak the language speak slowly, clearly, and enunciate

It's not the practise itself, it's the mindset behind it, the assumption that you don't have to even pick up a couple of phrases, that Loud 'n' Slow™ is all you need.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That's actually pretty helpful if you do speak the language to a degree.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "I'm sorry that instead of doing the dishes I drove five hours west to be with myself"

"I'm sorry I can't be the man you want me to be (the kind of man that leave you alone in the bathroom)"

"I'm sorry for apologizing too much"

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Quid wrote: »

That's actually pretty helpful if you do speak the language to a degree.
    Yes, but when someone says that they don't speak the language at all, it's kind of narcissistic, ethnocentric practice to just assume that of course everyone speaks English, which is how it should be, so all you have to do is talk to them like they're retarded.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

When I'm trying to understand French, it does help if they go more slowly, but there's a limit. If you start speaking like a five year old reading a book. With. Every. Word. As. Its. Own. Sentence. Then it comes impossibly to understand, as there's no flow or stress. And quite often, I'm just grabbing a handful of words so I know the topic and then from how they're speaking I gather the rest.

French Girl's mum can be the worst offender for this sometimes, she just oscillates between super fast mishmash language and proclaiming single words while looking a bit confused.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "I'm sorry you keep going out with jerks, instead of the nice, nerdy guy who is always there as your shoulder to cry on, and totally wants to bone you."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My spanish teacher had to resort to the aul Loud and Slow during an oral exam when I couldn't understand a word the invigilator was saying :?

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I know enough German, French and Polish to ask if they speak English. :P

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

When I'm trying to understand French, it does help if they go more slowly, but there's a limit. If you start speaking like a five year old reading a book. With. Every. Word. As. Its. Own. Sentence. Then it comes impossibly to understand, as there's no flow or stress. And quite often, I'm just grabbing a handful of words so I know the topic and then from how they're speaking I gather the rest.

French Girl's mum can be the worst offender for this sometimes, she just oscillates between super fast mishmash language and proclaiming single words while looking a bit confused.
    Try speaking to the Quebecois. They don't even speak actual French; they speak half-French. It's like French, but you skip half of the words.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "I'm sorry you keep going out with jerks, instead of the nice, nerdy guy who is always there as your shoulder to cry on, and totally wants to bone you."

hahahahaha

oh my god

I laughed then I cried

Tav on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    "I'm sorry you and your sister look so much alike."

"I'm sorry I said you're turning into your mom."

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    My spanish teacher had to resort to the aul Loud and Slow during an oral exam when I couldn't understand a word the invigilator was saying :?
    The fuck is an "invigolator?"

Whatever it is, it sounds like something you wouldn't be allowed to do in an American school to a student; then again, we're not Catholic, so...

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

You can't just say this without giving us some examples.

GIVE US SOME EXAMPLES!!!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    hahahahaha

oh my god

I laughed then I cried
    This would be another bestseller.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damm phone. It seems to have done some sort of partial reset to the HTC starting animation without being a full restart. This has happened twice in the last 5 minutes

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited January 2011

"I'm sorry I live in a city pretty much solely for its large population of Randall Munroe fans"

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "I'm sorry I gave you that repressed memory, son."

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Winner.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Try speaking to the Quebecois. They don't even speak actual French; they speak half-French. It's like French, but you skip half of the words.

There was a guy from Quebec at uni. I didn't realise this despite having heard him speak "French" on several occasions until somebody told me.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

You can't just say this without giving us some examples.

GIVE US SOME EXAMPLES!!!

[I'd rather be "real" with you than "fair-tale" with someone else]

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "I'm sorry I told the police where the bodies were."

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Whatever it is, it sounds like something you wouldn't be allowed to do in an American school to a student; then again, we're not Catholic, so...

Person who observes a few exams to make sure that nobody is cheating. I'm not sure why Tav's was speaking.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Winner.

pft, Nice Guy Humor

what is this, 2009

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "I'm sorry I ran over your cat."

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It's the person/people who supervise official exams. For secondary school exams, they were generally teachers from other schools. In college, it's pretty much exclusively post-grads looking for a bit of cash on the side.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Person who observes a few exams to make sure that nobody is cheating. I'm not sure why Tav's was speaking.

In forn language class there's an oral part, where you have to attempt to maintain a brief conversation with someone about one of several topics.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

In forn language class there's an oral part, where you have to attempt to maintain a brief conversation with someone about one of several topics.

Yeah, but I spoke to my teacher, the invigilator just read a paper in the corner.

Mojo_Jojo on
This discussion has been closed.