As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] This is a civilian thread. You're lucky we're wearing pants.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So ah the gamespot review says theres a lot of ramerate and technical problems? Why is this always the case with ps3 ports?

Also he rags on the kasumi DLC as being damaging to the narrative flow, whtf

Prohass on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DHS wrote: »
    Jesus, even as playful ribbing this has got to be the most pointless thing ever. Can this thing, this one thing just be written off as personal preference and never spoken of again?

Good luck with that, it'd be like a non-binding agreement never to mention things that come in fours again.
    Prohass wrote: »
    So ah the gamespot review says theres a lot of ramerate and technical problems? Why is this always the case with ps3 ports?

The demo itself didn't seem like a step up, especially with the refresh sync issue (at least what I saw), but given that they call Stolen Memory "shrugworthy" and apparently bad enough to mark it as a negative....harsh...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

What the fuck does that even mean?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jees that pixelation on overlord didnt happen with the 360 version did it? I cant remember

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

What the fuck does that even mean?
    The Bad
    Frame rate hitches can get distracting - Some of the content is filled with technical issues - Kasumi's presence weakens the narrative.

Also the video review he's wearing the Dragon Age armour, its really distracting and odd. If people havent played Mass Effect they're going to be wondering if the main character looks like that.

Prohass on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ...Again...what the hell does that mean?

The Kasumi thing...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    But, this is Gamespot...it's what you'd expect from them if you had to make a snap assumption.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Its weird because he should've siad the same thing about Zaeed really. I mean they are both free DLC characters with this version.

But the pixelation and glitches in Overlord did look odd, did they happen in the 360 version?

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm confused...because they're no more out of place than any other person on your crew.

So...like...what?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The Kasumi thing...

I think you can safely discount that review.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    See, I love a good tangent, quads, Tali creepiness, the varied interpretations of Cerberus' competence, and all that malarkey. But when it comes down to things that aren't open for any kind of interpretation other than "I like it this way", then what's the point? It's not going to go anywhere, and criticizing the performances is alright, but there's no new ground to be found in sight since these are the voices.

If we're gonna argue in circles, have it be about something that stimulates conversation. Like Testicles and Genocide.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Its weird because he should've siad the same thing about Zaeed really. I mean they are both free DLC characters with this version.

But the pixelation and glitches in Overlord did look odd, did they happen in the 360 version?

I thought they did. I seem to remember Overlord having them on the PC, I think. I may be thinking of something else entirely.

Maybe the reviewer dislike Stolen Memory for the pre-"shoot the shit out of everything" section? In which case, I'm kind of surprised he didn't mention Thane's loyalty mission.
    DHS wrote: »
    See, I love a good tangent, quads, Tali creepiness, the varied interpretations of Cerberus' competence, and all that malarkey. But when it comes down to things that aren't open for any kind of interpretation other than "I like it this way", then what's the point? It's not going to go anywhere, and criticizing the performances is alright, but there's no new ground to be found in sight since these are the voices.

If we're gonna argue in circles, have it be about something that stimulates conversation. Like Testicles and Genocide.

No, you like quads themselves, perhaps the mystery and intrigue and potential for profit. There's no stimulating conversations* about quads, not the way you're describing it. It's just us repeating the word over and over again, and you know it. Nothing wrong with that, but don't warp the truth. With the VA issue, we end up having to formulate various opinions (though usually the same ones) and exchanging those. Versus...."Quads quads quads quads."

*Puns can go to hell

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm confused...because they're no more out of place than any other person on your crew.

So...like...what?

Dont ask me, apparently its "shrugworthy" enough to not fit into the narrative. I long since gave up on review of any kind, and I've always found gamespot in particular I disagree with, so im not really surprised, and I am quite annoyed at the fact that there is an increase in technical problems.

The Kasumi thing is just dumb, given that its free extra content, and she's introduced well enough, as well as Zaeed, which he doesnt mention at all.

Prohass on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How can you interrupt the flow of a narrative that consists of a string of self-contained vignettes? What a wanker.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011

The Kasumi thing...

I think you can safely discount that review.

Meh, she's a little less SRS BIZNESS I guess. That's literally the only conceivable angle I can think of.

That's an inane as shit comment without justification.

DHS on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well...360 to PS3 ports always have issues of some kind so I can't say I'm surprised there.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've generally found Gamespot's reviews to be reasonable. Not spot-on, but ballpark for decency.

So that just strikes me as weird.

Orca on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I prefer Giant Bomb myself.

They're good people.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Hmm, this review is sounding too positive...."

*throws in random glancing thought*

[Possible scenario?]

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm not terribly fond of their reviews, but that's true about anywhere. I generally put them on the same level of IGN, pretty consistently.

I guess I like 1UP more, but hey, maybe they suck as well.

EDIT: And Giant Bomb, thank you for reminding me, Nemo.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thing is, if he had a point, I'd love to hear it, consider a view on the story I hadn't thought of. But a textual critical analysis requires an argument with justification. There's a conclusion and no premises, making that statement less than wrong, just pointless.

DHS on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah. That's my main problem. There isn't really any explanation to that comment. To the point that it just leaves you scratching your head.

It annoys me when people say obscure things and don't followup.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah see the technical issues I wanna know about, but I dont wanna know about what missions he disliked.

And if hes trying to say she didnt fit because she didnt have an introduction and place in the narrative, he should've also mentioned Zaeed, who received the same treatment, as a freaking FREE character.

The option is always there to entirely avoid her if you feel she disrupts the narrative so much.

Prohass on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i don't trust any of those sites for reviews anymore

i just youtube the game, gauge general player reactions, download the demo (if it has one) and decide for myself

i don't think i've even visited gamespot's review page in literally years

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not a fan of any review wililng to affix a numerical value to some douchebag's opinion that's no more qualified than my own.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't like reviews. Period.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, how did they have such awesome credits music for ME1 and then such boring music for ME2. Lame.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The lack of Faunts in ME2 is indeed a disappointment.

But, on the other hand, it has Suicide Mission.

ME3 will be a perfect storm in that it will have Faunts and Suicide Mission. Also Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The day Faunts plays Suicide Mission, the universe will implode from shear awesome.

Orca on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know what the problem with the Kasumi stuff is?

It insists upon itself.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You know what the problem with the Kasumi stuff is?

It insists upon itself.

But it has a point to make, that's why it's so insistent!

DHS on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My narratives are always being ruined by sexy heist missions

Prohass on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i hope there's an elevator in ME3 that plays September

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All of the elevators are baby reapers.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »
    MAAASSS EFFEECCCT

GGRRNRNRGGH

seriously though, I'm taking a break. No more Mass Effect until ME 3 or a DLC. When Three comes out I will retreat to my apartment and play through all of them, DLC included, in one glorious playthrough.

I demand you livestream this.

It'd be amazing. Slow descent into madness.

I figure sometime around Mordin's recruitment the line between reality and Mass Effect will dim.

By the collector ship, it will have shattered completely.

By Mass Effect 3, you'll be talking about your wife, Katie and her stockings as the weaker willed among the viewing audience are reduced to husks.

Good times.

Ah yes, "sanity".

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The lack of Faunts in ME2 is indeed a disappointment.

But, on the other hand, it has Suicide Mission.

ME3 will be a perfect storm in that it will have Faunts and Suicide Mission. Also Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Earth, Faunts, and Suicide

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    do you remember

when i needed you to recover

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Isn't Shepard technically a zombie now?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i hope there's an elevator in ME3 that plays September

The Citadel elevator music in ME1 totally sounds like Feliz Navidad.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    do you remember

when i needed you to recover

Because i can't indoctrinate this on my Oooooooooooooooooooownnnn

on my ooooownnnnn

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    MAAASSS EFFEECCCT

GGRRNRNRGGH

seriously though, I'm taking a break. No more Mass Effect until ME 3 or a DLC. When Three comes out I will retreat to my apartment and play through all of them, DLC included, in one glorious playthrough.

I demand you livestream this.

It'd be amazing. Slow descent into madness.

I figure sometime around Mordin's recruitment the line between reality and Mass Effect will dim.

By the collector ship, it will have shattered completely.

By Mass Effect 3, you'll be talking about your wife, Katie and her stockings as the weaker willed among the viewing audience are reduced to husks.

Good times.

Ah yes, "sanity".

Alright, we need to work out roles if this suicide mission is to succeed.

I'll be the panicking civilian in a high security bunker who survived thanks to running and hiding who Shep decks and/or insults. It's hard work, but someone has to do it.

chiasaur11 on