As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The enemy gate is destroyed!

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right now I don't have a single friendly border besides the papal states, and all my generals/governors died off over the course of 5 years so my entire eastern expanse is being governed by one guy

And I can't shift resources there because I'm busy near Bologna/Genoa/Milan dealing with the HRE and Milan and Hungary keeps sieging Zagreb

Luckily I have a huge stack of heavy infantry, pavise crossbowmen, and catapults marching on Budapest now. I plan to eliminate the hungarians entirely so I can focus my eastern resources on the Byzantines and shore up my western defenses so I can eventually deal with the HRE

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Build crossbows get florins.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The best thing i've seen so far was a rebel general who was in control of florence who outlasted his whole army

It was just him and his horse for five minutes at the end, killing wave after wave of spearmen and slav mercenaries

Captain Petri, I salute thee

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You should have offered him a princess and got him into your family.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    He was a captain so I couldn't :(

Plus, we, uh, impaled the crap out of him

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In my Egypt campaign the crown prince of France led the Crusaders against Jerusalem. His strategy was to

1) mass his entire army of light infantry and knights in front of the gates
    2) place all the siege equipment but one ram at the very back, of the map
    3) watch the ram be burnt to a crisp instantly by my 2000 desert archers
    4) send his men to fetch another ram, at a walk
    5) catch an arrow in the head and die

The best part was that they never routed because of his obscene chivalry, so the final tally ended up being 2283 of theirs dead, 3 of mine. That was one of my better battles, I think.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My last game I lead England to conquer all of France, Spain, Portugal, and North Africa all the way east to the holy land.

At least twice I did the same thing where the King of whatever shithole I was conquering got killed almost immediately in a battle by a trebuchet shot or some flaming arrows. One of the times though I got an epic rout and my mounted troops earned so much experience just chasing one fleeing group of soldier after another. Then I started chasing them into groups of my swordsmen and pikemen for shits and giggles.

Hunter on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    My last game I lead England to conquer all of France, Spain, Portugal, and North Africa all the way east to the holy land.

At least twice I did the same thing where the King of whatever shithole I was conquering got killed almost immediately in a battle by a trebuchet shot or some flaming arrows. One of the times though I got an epic rout and my mounted troops earned so much experience just chasing one fleeing group of soldier after another. Then I started chasing them into groups of my swordsmen and pikemen for shits and giggles.

Benny Hill: Medieval Edition

Solar on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    no, the enemy gate is down

This was my thought as well.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LOTR mod? Tell me more?

I'll get to this one day.

The best strategy game is actually Dragon Force, by the way.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Downloading the LOTR mod right now

http://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

It's probably the most professionally made extensive total war mod, from what I've heard. The screenshots look great and I'm pretty stoked about it. I also wanna play the ASOIAF mod but it doesn't look as thrilling.

I'm still tramping along as venice, I'm a few turns away from Venetian archers, at which point I will make hungary my bitch

Fought a fantastically epic battle with the Hungarian king at the bridge between Zagreb and Budapest, it was so ridiculous. We each had catapults hurling flaming rocks at each others infantry because I couldn't get any cav across the bridge to wreck them

They charged me, and I sent 80 feudal knights in and took a huge chunk out of their light infantry then charged them with like 800 Venetian Heavy Infantry and Dismounted Feudal Knights and a unit of Armored Spearmen

I lost nearly everyone but eradicated their force and ran their king down. I don't think they have more then two family members left what with their constant assassinations by my agents and getting hit with Venetian Heavy Infantry hammers

Love. That. Faction.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You just have to make them actually do things. Even lots of small pissant victories will boost a general's traits and huge arse-fucking defensive victories where you lose 150 goons to the attacker's 2600 will make a hard dude out of the most useless of pussies.

If someone is totally useless it's better to just send 'em to a village and wait for them to spawn while governing something

Though I've had okay luck with family members only they're all terrible commanders to begin with, but they have rad traits

But no matter how many stars your general has a superior force makes shit happen

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    These are screenshots from the LOTR mod it's fuckin' pretty. Also remember this game came out four years ago, almost
    m_militia1.jpg
    bardianarchers01.jpg
    aaxemen.png

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    fandy change the title back you're making me look the fool

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is that better

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    actually yes

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i am suddenly drawn to this thread

redhead on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did they ever announce an Ender's Game movie?

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sicily stabbed me in the back, I took budapest ,and now i have two huge forces marching on the Sicilian and Milanese capitals respectively

Just starting building the first gunpowder stuff, got venetian archers and men-at-arms

Gonna go burn my way through europe in return for being sieged every other goddamn turn

Then comes hungary and the HRE

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    God I love this game so much

Haven't played it in ages

But playing total war is like riding a bike...

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Three hundred times a year in the book came out.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Three hundred times a year in the book came out.

what?

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember that Anakin was supposed to play Ender at one point.

Not Hayden, the even more annoying younger Anakin.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Ender's Game movie rumors have been going on forever. Wolfgang Petersen was going to direct it, but Card apparently wouldn't give over any creative control, wanting to write the script and being super protective of the material.

I heard some rumors pop up that he was moving forward with it again last year.

I'm not really sure how it works as a movie anyways, but hey, whatever.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've only played Rome, because I am super awful and have been on my first Julii campaign for months. I think I bought it last spring.

God damned awful at this, but its so satisfying to have a huge super-city and watch Britons die against it endlessly because fuck those guys they won't leave my Northern borders alone, I swear I am going to kill them so hard and... I don't like the Britons.

How different is Medieval II compared to Rome? I got the Total War Battlepack, but only played a demo of Medieval II.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bah. this thread makes me want to play, but here I am with only my Medieval and Rome discs and my steam copy of Empire. I even have the M2 manual!!! why didn't I check to see if the discs were actually in the case before I left.

Scudo on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    is it worth starting up a new game of Empire? I see it's been patched a lot since I last played, though no LOTR mod.

Scudo on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    God I love this game so much

Haven't played it in ages

But playing total war is like riding a bike...

you never forget how to fall off and mangle yourself

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay I wanna play kingdoms

Should I try the Welsh in Brittania, Byzantines in Crusades, or Turks in Crusades? I'm hella torn between the first two

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I guess I should at least finish my game as Venice

Though I've never beaten a total war game I just get as far as I can until I have access to every unit and a mega empire because it's a huge amount of trouble to take and hold 45 regions including Jerusalme

Though I just have to hold constatinople and that's hella easy to take with corinth and thessalonica providing reinforcements

I just need the castle between Durazzo and Constantinope, Northwest of Corinth, before I can stage my invasion so they can't send full stack armies at my butt while I siege the jewel of the east

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ToastlyToastly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh god venice is so the best faction. the only thing they don't have is super duper cavalry, but you just go and invade the holy land when the pope asks and get templar's guild and then you are pretty much invincible.

Venetian heavy infantry+Venetian Archers+Templar Knights=impossible to lose. the only thing you ever have to worry about is when they rush you with like 12 dismounted feudal knights, who are the only unit who can go toe to toe with the VHI, at which point you flank and crush into their rear because if they had 12 dismounted, they probably don't have enough anti cavalry

Venetian archers aren't that much better at firing bows than your standard archers, but when you just need more infantry, suddenly you have them and they are good and well armored. This is especially useful when you need to defend a city or castle with only a few units - they can fire from the walls, and then once the ladders come, can WRECK whoever makes it up.

Once you get the best blacksmiths, VHI is pretty much unstoppable.

What I really want from this game's modding community is an Italian wars mod, there was clearly one in development, back in 2007, but it looks like they never finished/disappeared. I want to do a venice vs florence vs milan vs pope vs damned foreigners campaign

Toastly on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, having a Swordsmiths guild in Ragusa has made my VHI/DMFK more or less unstoppable

My only problem right now is that I'm spread a little thin. I'm also bummed about men-at-arms sucking so much dick.

I just took Bern from Milan, once I can take that, Inssbruck, and Vienna I'll be set to finish off Sicily, then move in on constantinople

It's getting to the point where I might need two stacks to take big cities if I wanna win and still stave off outside attacks without sacrificing my capacity to siege things with bombards/mortars. Plus if I put some Ribalts in my backup army I can literally eradicate any infantry army I want with autoresolve if somehow I lose on the battle map.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, I play this pretty much all the time now.

I'm Spain dawg. Killin' homies like woah dawg.

I'm poor as all get out though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still have my savefiles from my poland playthrough

perhaps I should be less of a shitty person and finish that some day

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wish I still had a computer powerful enough to run this

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still have my savefiles from my poland playthrough

perhaps I should be less of a shitty person and finish that some day
    That was a really fun LP. You should finish it.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Half the bitch will be finding my thread with search disabled. I foresee an epic journey into the labyrinthine catacombs of these forum; where posts line the walls like skulls in a pagan tomb.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Just build peasant units

and hurl them at your enemies

You can't lose

one time i set up a game with only peasant armies arrayed against me

so like, a fucking wave of peasants

against some dope ass cavalry

like, a couple of units

and they would wipe out thousands of them

also fun, barbarian total war, with peasant armies stocked to the brim

and like, 5 units of berserkers

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys, I just discovered that I still have this game installed and apparently you can even play it without fetching the DVD. Which faction shall I lead to victory?

Platy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Play as Russia

It's hard as balls but very satisfying when you accomplish something

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg