Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

15657585961

Posts

  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sten has already been confirmed as not appearing at all.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    maybe he got a promotion and is no longer a sten

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nine wrote: »
    Actually Varric's crossbow looks similar to a chinese repeating crossbow. Those could fire 10 shots or more without reloading.

    And those generally suffered due to not being as accurate nor having as good penetrating power which meant that the regular kind was favored in China and mostly used against massed troops like regular crossbows.
    The strength of this bow is very great, though not so great as I have been told. It possesses but little powers of aim, and against a single and moving adversary would be useless. But for the purpose for which it was designed, namely, a wall piece which will pour a series of missiles upon a body of men, it is a very efficient weapon, and can make itself felt even against the modern rifle (single shot percussion in those days - geo). The range of this bow is said to be 400 yards, but I should think that its extreme effective range is at the most from 60 to 80 yards, and that even in that case it would be almost useless, except against large bodies of soldiers."

  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    maybe he got a promotion and is no longer a sten
    Very possible.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Couscous, stop channeling Spoit. Crossbows were wickedly powerful, and one of the reasons why knights started to lose power. Hell, even the Vatican tried to ban them once or thrice.

    They are only useful when you have a bunch of other people with crossbows backing you up. Three shots per minute compared to ten shots per minute with a bow leaves an obvious victor in a fight between a small group of people.

    Sticking a crossbow in a peasants hand and teaching him to use it proficiently in 2 days is better than trying to field an archer who has to have years of experience.

    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    maybe he got a promotion and is no longer a sten
    Very possible.

    That would be very tricky on Bioware's part.

    Because, the Qunari Formerly Known As Sten would be an awesome person to have around in Kirkwall.

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait, companions are stuck as only 1 archetype of the class? I could have sworn I saw pictures of Aveline as both a sword and board and a 2H warrior.

    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Couscous, stop channeling Spoit. Crossbows were wickedly powerful, and one of the reasons why knights started to lose power. Hell, even the Vatican tried to ban them once or thrice.

    They are only useful when you have a bunch of other people with crossbows backing you up. Three shots per minute compared to ten shots per minute with a bow leaves an obvious victor in a fight between a small group of people.

    Sticking a crossbow in a peasants hand and teaching him to use it proficiently in 2 days is better than trying to field an archer who has to have years of experience.

    Which is great if it is between two armies. If it is between two small groups, the peasant might as well run away instead of getting brutally killed.

  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There is an image floating around of Isabela with a bow, but Bioware has gone on record as stating it should be ignored because you can't actually do that.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    to be honest I can't think of much in the way of origins story threads I'm dying to see them pick up

    off the top of my head, the origins stuff sounds fairly localized and likely to be inconsequential

    maybe the ferelden throne and the state of orzammar seem like they'd be the really major things

    the awakening stuff I can't really bring myself to care about too much

  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eh, I'm sure unless their meshes are really weird, that'll be modded out eventually...oh wait. :(

    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I kinda want to know what's up with the Red Jenny quest, but not enough to care if it's in DA2 or anything. Probably the big things are the Warden's race (and whether or not he/she was Dalish for elves), who ruled Ferelden, and how you killed the Archdemon/who if anyone died doing it.

    I can assume that based on the three choices you get if you don't have a save.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought this game was more or less completely removed from DA1 and all their shenanigans?

  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's a save transfer and therefore (most likely minor) references. I mean, three of your companions are from DAO, after all. I know Steve Valentine said he recorded some dialog for the game, too, though I don't know if he said he was doing lines for Alistair specifically or a different character.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I will definitley play a rogue first, as that is the closest I will ever get to a new Jade Empire game.

    That makes me very sad.

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Gotta say I'm pretty hype for DA2. I've been on sort of a media blackout from DA2 other than some screenshots/gameplay, so can't wait and see how shit turns out.


    On a completely random DA1 note, I had no idea Shale's 'ranged' tree was so fucking good. Lots of CC/AoE damage is crazy.

  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3?

    I know Anders and Isabela...who is the third?

  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Merrill. She's from the Dalish Elf origin.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    I thought this game was more or less completely removed from DA1 and all their shenanigans?

    Not really, even if you don't import a save you still get a choice of three variations the events of Origins. Not to mention the person who taught the Duelist specialization, two full party members from Awakening, Flemmeth, a character from the Daelish origin and your personal salesdwarves are going to be significant portions of the story. Not to mention that Hawke is related to the human Mage Warden and comes from Lothering.

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    3?

    I know Anders and Isabela...who is the third?

    Merrill.

    Edit: You probably don't remember her because she is a non-entity

  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Merrill. She's from the Dalish Elf origin.

    But the Dalish are terrible...how could I have been expected to know that?

  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    3?

    I know Anders and Isabela...who is the third?

    Merrill.

    Technically you also have Justice.

  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't really think we should be counting Justice until we see how that whole thing works.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.

  • XtarathXtarath Registered User
    edited February 2011
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    Huh weird. I saved Amaranthine, but still kept Vigil's Keep. Although I did lose Justice, and I wonder if I could have saved him.

  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    It is possible if you get all the upgrades. You must have missed the veridium, iron or not paid the dwarf his eighty sovereigns. People also have different epilouges based on if you left them in the keep or took them with you.

  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's with the inconsistent nudity in bioware games? Why is it okay to show something horrifying like the brood mothers while they always cover up the love interests in the sex scenes?

    Plenty of other M rated games like god of war or red dead redemption have had non-monster nudity and gotten away with it.

    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    edit: I was wondering the same thing Alucard. They showed Mothers boobs incredibly often in awakening, and yet we have to deal with really awkward looking sex scenes.
    Z0re wrote: »
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    It is possible if you get all the upgrades. You must have missed the veridium, iron or not paid the dwarf his eighty sovereigns.
    In the end I had delivered 3 ore types to the smiths (I don't remember which exactly, there was definitely iron and I think silverite, as I got the "Silver Knights" in the epilogue), payed the 80 sovereigns, and reported the quarry. When the smith and the engineer asked for soldier escorts, I gave them to both. The epilogue at the end said that they withheld for around a week but it was eventually taken.

    edit: It could be that my game was just being weird, because I also got reports of "during the celebration at Vigils Keep". I assumed that they meant the first nights victory or something, it was really vague.

  • finnithfinnith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    There is an image floating around of Isabela with a bow, but Bioware has gone on record as stating it should be ignored because you can't actually do that.

    That's actually kind of disappointing. Would be nice to have a ranged option for your characters if you need to do some sort of pull or ranged attack for some reason.

  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    edit: I was wondering the same thing Alucard. They showed Mothers boobs incredibly often in awakening, and yet we have to deal with really awkward looking sex scenes.
    Z0re wrote: »
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    It is possible if you get all the upgrades. You must have missed the veridium, iron or not paid the dwarf his eighty sovereigns.
    In the end I had delivered 3 ore types to the smiths (I don't remember which exactly, there was definitely iron and I think silverite, as I got the "Silver Knights" in the epilogue), payed the 80 sovereigns, and reported the quarry. When the smith and the engineer asked for soldier escorts, I gave them to both. The epilogue at the end said that they withheld for around a week but it was eventually taken.
    Even with all the upgrades, and if you decide to save the city, the Warden keep will still be overrun. What will happen, however, is that there will be survivors and their tale will inspire the people. Donations will flow in and the keep will be rebuilt very quickly, with a flood of new recruits, as well.

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    edit: I was wondering the same thing Alucard. They showed Mothers boobs incredibly often in awakening, and yet we have to deal with really awkward looking sex scenes.
    Z0re wrote: »
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    It is possible if you get all the upgrades. You must have missed the veridium, iron or not paid the dwarf his eighty sovereigns.
    In the end I had delivered 3 ore types to the smiths (I don't remember which exactly, there was definitely iron and I think silverite, as I got the "Silver Knights" in the epilogue), payed the 80 sovereigns, and reported the quarry. When the smith and the engineer asked for soldier escorts, I gave them to both. The epilogue at the end said that they withheld for around a week but it was eventually taken.

    edit: It could be that my game was just being weird, because I also got reports of "during the celebration at Vigils Keep". I assumed that they meant the first nights victory or something, it was really vague.
    Did you do all the sidequests in the keep, like fully finishing the one with the Darkspawn in the basement? Deliver all the lyrium sand to the dwarven explosive-maker? Because otherwise that sounds like a glitch.

  • DramDram Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    edit: I was wondering the same thing Alucard. They showed Mothers boobs incredibly often in awakening, and yet we have to deal with really awkward looking sex scenes.
    Z0re wrote: »
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    It is possible if you get all the upgrades. You must have missed the veridium, iron or not paid the dwarf his eighty sovereigns.
    In the end I had delivered 3 ore types to the smiths (I don't remember which exactly, there was definitely iron and I think silverite, as I got the "Silver Knights" in the epilogue), payed the 80 sovereigns, and reported the quarry. When the smith and the engineer asked for soldier escorts, I gave them to both. The epilogue at the end said that they withheld for around a week but it was eventually taken.
    I did the same stuff. My epilogue said that the darkspawn army besieged the keep for around 5 days until they finally broke upon her walls. Meaning they were defeated.
    In terms of how to save justice, take him with you on the final mission. The people who die in the defense of the keep are the elf, Justice, and possibly Sigrund (her defense of the keep epilogue is kind of ambiguous). Anders, Ohgren and Nathaniel will survive I believe.

  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Huh
    on mine, even though I did virtually none of the side quests, saving amaranthine resulted in vigil's keep being rebuilt quickly.

    Seems like that's supposed to be the right choice, as opposed to everyone just being pissed at the wardens forever for burning amaranthine.

    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    edit: I was wondering the same thing Alucard. They showed Mothers boobs incredibly often in awakening, and yet we have to deal with really awkward looking sex scenes.
    Z0re wrote: »
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    It is possible if you get all the upgrades. You must have missed the veridium, iron or not paid the dwarf his eighty sovereigns.
    In the end I had delivered 3 ore types to the smiths (I don't remember which exactly, there was definitely iron and I think silverite, as I got the "Silver Knights" in the epilogue), payed the 80 sovereigns, and reported the quarry. When the smith and the engineer asked for soldier escorts, I gave them to both. The epilogue at the end said that they withheld for around a week but it was eventually taken.
    I did the same stuff. My epilogue said that the darkspawn army besieged the keep for around 5 days until they finally broke upon her walls. Meaning they were defeated.
    In terms of how to save justice, take him with you on the final mission. The people who die in the defense of the keep are the elf, Justice, and possibly Sigrund (her defense of the keep epilogue is kind of ambiguous). Anders, Ohgren and Nathaniel will survive I believe.
    I am pretty sure everyone can die

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I definitely did everything. The only sidequests I didn't do (that I know of) were companion related. I basically got what Dashui is describing. Just wasn't sure if there was a way of keeping the darkspawn out, because poor Wade :(

  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.

    There's a bug with the journal where it tells you that the keep fell and everybody died when that's not what happened. What did the endgame say about it? I'd stick with what that says.

    I think that the main factors are:
    Fully upgraded walls (you found the Granite)
    Silverite armor (doing all three ores to complete the quest)
    Closed off the ba sement Deep Roads enterance
    Lyrium sand to Dworkin

    I'm not sure if soldier morale or who you leave behind matters (I know the latter matters in which of your companions survive, though).

    EDIT: Super Ninja'd.

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • DramDram Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Dram wrote: »
    edit: I was wondering the same thing Alucard. They showed Mothers boobs incredibly often in awakening, and yet we have to deal with really awkward looking sex scenes.
    Z0re wrote: »
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    It is possible if you get all the upgrades. You must have missed the veridium, iron or not paid the dwarf his eighty sovereigns.
    In the end I had delivered 3 ore types to the smiths (I don't remember which exactly, there was definitely iron and I think silverite, as I got the "Silver Knights" in the epilogue), payed the 80 sovereigns, and reported the quarry. When the smith and the engineer asked for soldier escorts, I gave them to both. The epilogue at the end said that they withheld for around a week but it was eventually taken.
    I did the same stuff. My epilogue said that the darkspawn army besieged the keep for around 5 days until they finally broke upon her walls. Meaning they were defeated.
    In terms of how to save justice, take him with you on the final mission. The people who die in the defense of the keep are the elf, Justice, and possibly Sigrund (her defense of the keep epilogue is kind of ambiguous). Anders, Ohgren and Nathaniel will survive I believe.
    I am pretty sure everyone can die
    The elf, Justice and possibly Sigrund will die even if you fully upgrade the keep. Anders, Ohgren and Nathaniel will survive if you fully upgraded the keep. if you don't fully upgrade the keep, everyone can die.

  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Dram wrote: »
    edit: I was wondering the same thing Alucard. They showed Mothers boobs incredibly often in awakening, and yet we have to deal with really awkward looking sex scenes.
    Z0re wrote: »
    So I just finished Awakening
    Is it possible to save both Amaranthine and Vigil's keep? When I picked Amaranthine, I was hoping that my silver armor and improved walls would give me enough time to head back there and clean up, but instead I just got a "Its been overrun" message.

    Though I did get the nice blurb about it in the epilogue, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't a way, just curious if I missed something.
    It is possible if you get all the upgrades. You must have missed the veridium, iron or not paid the dwarf his eighty sovereigns.
    In the end I had delivered 3 ore types to the smiths (I don't remember which exactly, there was definitely iron and I think silverite, as I got the "Silver Knights" in the epilogue), payed the 80 sovereigns, and reported the quarry. When the smith and the engineer asked for soldier escorts, I gave them to both. The epilogue at the end said that they withheld for around a week but it was eventually taken.
    I did the same stuff. My epilogue said that the darkspawn army besieged the keep for around 5 days until they finally broke upon her walls. Meaning they were defeated.
    In terms of how to save justice, take him with you on the final mission. The people who die in the defense of the keep are the elf, Justice, and possibly Sigrund (her defense of the keep epilogue is kind of ambiguous). Anders, Ohgren and Nathaniel will survive I believe.
    I am pretty sure everyone can die
    The elf, Justice and possibly Sigrund will die even if you fully upgrade the keep. Anders, Ohgren and Nathaniel will survive if you fully upgraded the keep. if you don't fully upgrade the keep, everyone can die.
    Sigrun doesn't die if you fully upgrade the keep, but unless you tell her you don't want to lose a friend after doing her ridiculouly easy to screw yourself out of sidequest she dies pretty soon after the game. And Valenna fakes her own death so she can hunt her sister down if the keep is upgraded.

  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    The elf, Justice and possibly Sigrund will die even if you fully upgrade the keep. Anders, Ohgren and Nathaniel will survive if you fully upgraded the keep. if you don't fully upgrade the keep, everyone can die.
    Well, I'd say Sigrun is the only one that dies, and even that's pretty ambiguous. Justice is a spirit, so...pretty hard to kill, especially since he's already in a dead dude, and Velanna just "disappears"

    Still, hardly happy endings for any of them, and I totally misunderstood what you meant.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • DramDram Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Z0re wrote: »
    Sigrun doesn't die if you fully upgrade the keep, but unless you tell her you don't want to lose a friend after doing her ridiculouly easy to screw yourself out of sidequest she dies pretty soon after the game. And Valenna fakes her own death so she can hunt her sister down if the keep is upgraded.
    Ok, so then Justice is the only one who will actually "die" even if the keep is fully upgraded. The easy answer for everyone then is to take Justice with you on the final mission.
    I don't know why you wouldn't take him anyway though. On my last playthrough, I took Justice, Nathaniel and Valenna. I was a warrior myself, and having a second tank in Justice made every encounter amazingly easy.

Sign In or Register to comment.