As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Famous Catwomen [Chat]

• Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I like deadpool. yay deadpool

yaaaay

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    George Takei also has the best damn voice known to mankind. I love just listening to his wonderful tones.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I read a lot of x-men when I was a kid

and Valiant comics

nobody really remembers those

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20110119/METRO01/101190359/1410/METRO01/Facebook-taunter-charged-with-court-order-violation

Everytime I think this lady can't be a bigger waste of skin, she goes and does something completely fucking awful all over again.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best comics aren't superhero comics

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    nobody says "graphic novel" anymore moniker

we're back to "comics"

Elendil on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    you could stick Sam Spade into Dracula and it would also not work very well, because Sam Spade does not belong in an 1800s Gothic horror story.

characters don't exist in a vacuum. they aren't independent entities.

Hm. I disagree. I mean, it is certainly a failure of the writer, putting someone who doesn't belong in the story. And it would detract from the story. But I still think it's fair to hate the character for that - without them, the story would be better. It's similar to if there was an act in Hamlet that was really awful for whatever reason and distracted from the story without adding anything. I think you'd be totally justified to hate act 2.5 of Hamlet while still liking the story.

Yeah, but again, that horrible act of Hamlet would be Shakespeare's fault. It wouldn't be the fault of the characters in that act. They don't have agency, they didn't write themselves into the play.

This touches on the other reason I don't care for this whole "I hate X character" thing that goes on in any nerd discussion of media: if we let the audience populate a work with only the characters that tickle their particular fancies, we would end up with the worst stories ever.

To use your Hamlet example, what if I decided that I really hate that fat asshole Polonius? He sure goes out like a punk. Let's swap him out for someone cooler.

iterate a few more times and suddenly Hamlet is a play about fifteen vampire dudes in black robes having swordfights with each other and gang-banging the cast of Harry Potter.

I think I'm using "hate" in a broader sense than you. Of course it's not the fault of the characters, but I don't feel that that protects them from criticism. I hate the controls in a lot of games, but that's an abstract concept with no agency. I just feel that if a character is out of place, you can hate that, knowing that it was Shakespeare's fault for writing vampires into Hamlet. He made a stupid decision, and the effects of that can be disliked for poisoning an otherwise ok work.

That said I think a huge problem is cross-audience stuff. Like you said, deciding Polonius sucks and instead we should have him be like Spike from Buffy. And then let's change Ophelia out for Druscilla, and Hamlet can be Edward from Twilight why not.

But that's more of a problem with having a varied audience. Switching out Polonius would likely cause a bunch of people to realize how much better he was before he was Spike. You can't please everyone, and I think it's important to realize that some characters could be taken out or altered and cause a drastic improvement in the story while recognizing that, on the whole, people who hate X character probably don't really know what they're talking about.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    George Takei also has the best damn voice known to mankind. I love just listening to his wonderful tones.

He likes to hear that, because early in his career he was turned down for sounding "too asian".

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh, fuck you USB drive. I just realized I lost all of my Anki cards and have to retype them all. I really need to start using that sync feature from now on :x

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Some friends-of-friends are over planning a trip to Greece, and they mentioned wanting to go to Rhodes.

I said, "what, to see the big statue?" and posed like the Colossus of Rhodes is often shown. They all just looked at me like I was crazy, because they had no idea what I was talking about.

And one of them is Greek!

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I like deadpool. yay deadpool

Deadpool is the one character that makes me want to read Western comics. But I have no idea what to read then.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Madeline Pryor basically set up a huge part of the X-Men mythos.

yeah it's just that Madelyne/Jean/Rachel is so bug-fuck convoluted it is impossible to untangle

Yeah, totally.

The 80s also had the Morlocks, Storm's dark period, and God Loves Man Kills. It was also a pretty iconic period, when you had the core team with most of the major characters together in a single book. I probably shouldn't shit on the X-Men's 80s run too much.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    I have no idea who Madelyne Pryor is so I'll just google whoa boobs

fixed that for you

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How can you hate this?

sulu.jpg

It's completely impossible.

That's why Preacher's comment threw me. He was just totally likable.

But then, everyone in the original series was likable. Maybe they weren't all good characters or good actors, but really, they were all likable.

Maybe he meant Checkov?

And Bones took a while to become likable. He was pretty bad in the first season (they had that on streaming a while back...)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

we're back to "comics"

the term has been reclaimed and redeemed

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I kind of have a soft spot for Chris Claremont's drug fueled insanity plots

it wasn't always good but damned if the guy wasn't being creative

comics are an amazing laboratory for the study of creativity under pressure

like, Claremont wrote X-Men for nearly twenty years. Sometimes it was great and sometimes it was terrible. And when you read those old issues in big chunks and with an awareness of the context of what was going on with the comics business and with the creators at the time, you can see how the quality was all to do with the kind of collaborators he had, how much of a free hand the editors gave him, and where his interests were at the time.

And because these were coming out monthly, there were no do-overs, no takebacks or anything like that. Instead of this impenetrable, flawless work being handed to you on a platter, you get to see all the guts and gears inside.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    Just to verify I haven't skipped any books in the Discworld series
    I recall reading a little bit of one where Vimes is remembering a fallen friend, and then ends up becoming that person. I didn't finish it (library copy; life intervened).

Anyone know the title?

Night Watch. Probably my favorite Discworld book but it requires having read most of the previous ones to get the most out of it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nah I didn't hate Checkov until he became Bester, but even as Bester he was difficult to hate because he was so concentrated evil.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Actually, using a shooting range as basically non-random dice in a tabletop RPG would be interesting. Damage to enemies is based on which part of the body you shoot. Skill checks are done by shooting at particular areas on a target.

That would be awesome, but you'd need to handicap it.

Like, my character is a wizard who picks up a bow to shoot some guy in the face. I'm a pretty good shot in real life (at least ok) so I should be back like a hundred yards.

Whereas my friend who is missing thumbs is playing the Elven ranger, trained since birth to be a warrior, so he gets to take the shot from five feet away.

It could be modified a bit though, and would be a whole lot of fun. It'd be awesome to feel that that headshot to the mage was successful because you made that shot.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think the statue is there anymore

Elendil on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

we're back to "comics"

Comics are periodicals. That'd be like calling a serial a novel before it gets finished.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bones is such a wonderful character. He is part of the trinity of power.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked Deadpool, but Marvel is trying to make him the new Wolverine.

Cinders on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I recall reading a little bit of one where Vimes is remembering a fallen friend, and then ends up becoming that person. I didn't finish it (library copy; life intervened).

Anyone know the title?

Night Watch. Probably my favorite Discworld book but it requires having read most of the previous ones to get the most out of it.

Excellent. I haven't gotten ahead of myself, then. I've just finished Feet of Clay, and am on Jingo now.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Nah she's mary sue who bothers the fuck out of me, on a show full of awful characters she rises above to be shitty character prime.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011

He is really un-bones like at the begining though. Like he doesn't have the technology-hating grumpy old man thing going on. He just plays it like a soap opera doctor at first.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Actually, using a shooting range as basically non-random dice in a tabletop RPG would be interesting. Damage to enemies is based on which part of the body you shoot. Skill checks are done by shooting at particular areas on a target.

That would be awesome, but you'd need to handicap it.

Like, my character is a wizard who picks up a bow to shoot some guy in the face. I'm a pretty good shot in real life (at least ok) so I should be back like a hundred yards.

Whereas my friend who is missing thumbs is playing the Elven ranger, trained since birth to be a warrior, so he gets to take the shot from five feet away.

It could be modified a bit though, and would be a whole lot of fun. It'd be awesome to feel that that headshot to the mage was successful because you made that shot.

dangerously close to LARP territory here

Doc on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Doc wrote: »
    Some friends-of-friends are over planning a trip to Greece, and they mentioned wanting to go to Rhodes.

I said, "what, to see the big statue?" and posed like the Colossus of Rhodes is often shown. They all just looked at me like I was crazy, because they had no idea what I was talking about.

Well, I mean, it did fall into the sea a few centuries back. Still...

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cinders wrote: »

He's taken an uncommon interest in a younger super hero and always has them hanging around him?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    The best comics aren't superhero comics

Some of them absolutely are. Which isn't to suggest there is any special importance to superheroes, it's just that the genre happens to be vast and has featured some of the best artists in the medium.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    the best comics are Knights of the Dinner table.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    dangerously close to LARP territory here

Nah, that kind of stuff isn't for me. The role-playing part. I just like a challenge, so it'd be neat to use real challenges for skill checks.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    moniker wrote: »

And it probably didn't look like how it is usually shown.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

He's taken an uncommon interest in a younger super hero and always has them hanging around him?

cool, fun hero who gets really popular and then becomes lame

i don't know if this is a hipsterism or if the popularity altered his character

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Anyone know the title?

Excellent. I haven't gotten ahead of myself, then. I've just finished Feet of Clay, and am on Jingo now.

You have to read all of the watch books leading up to Night Watch, and to follow some connections, Small Gods, Thief of Time, and The Truth

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Wait, Wolverine or Pedophilia Batman?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Well, he does have a Kidpool sidekick now. But I was referring to him being in everything everywhere.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    moniker wrote: »

Well yeah, it's a joke. But c'mon, it's one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, and probably on the top 3 best known from that list.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

He is really un-bones like at the begining though. Like he doesn't have the technology-hating grumpy old man thing going on. He just plays it like a soap opera doctor at first.

This is true, but really like the rest of the crew he progressed to a much better place over time.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.