As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for good anime recommendations (details in post)

TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently came into some Amazon money (Christmas time!), and am debating on buying maybe an anime or two. I'm really only interested in buying blu-ray, so that's the first requirement. My tastes are pretty standard, but here's some stuff that I like:

Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
DBZ when I was a kid
Gundam (Universal Century stuff is preferred) again, when I was a kid
Um...

Ok, so I don't really know what I like. It's probably easier to say stuff that I don't like. I don't like cutesy stuff. I can't handle stuff that's so overtly Japanese with perverted stereotypes and lots of translating needed (I don't want to know why that guy has a drop of blood or a snot bubble coming out of his nose when he sees the pretty ladies or whatever). I'd prefer something with a dubbed option. I like sci-fi and fantasy (Western fantasy if the distinction needs to be made). It doesn't have to be new stuff, but I'm interested if there's anything out there that's new that would be worth my time like the ones above.

I have tried the original Full Metal Alchemist, and where I liked the premise, I got a little bored. I understand that Brotherhood is a remake of the whole series, does it move the story along a little quicker? Is DBZ Kai any good/worth my time? I actually like Naruto a little bit, but again, it moved too slowly in anime form (which is funny since I enjoy the manga). Would I enjoy the Shippuden series, skipping over the basic Naruto series and not be lost?

This was kind of rambling, but anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

TheHopelessGamer on

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FLCL is top of the list. Only 6 episodes, and it never lets up for a single second. It's impossible to become bored watching it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess I'll get the obvious out of the way.

Brotherhood is considerably better, in my opinion. It follows the actual manga plotline instead of veering off like the original anime did. It does have slow moments.

DBZ Kai is just DBZ with a lot of filler cut out. That's great and all, but if you've seen DBZ it's not like there's anything new.

Shippuden is a direct continuation of the original Naruto series. Some things would definitely be lost. In my opinion Naruto peaks with the chuunin exams, anyway.

If you like Naruto/DBZ type stuff then Bleach is pretty good up to a point. The anime suffers the same problem the Naruto anime does, which is way too much filler. It's pretty awesome up to the end of the Soul Society arc, then stuff gets a bit convoluted.

Death Note is amazing up to about episode 25. YMMV on the rest.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is done by Gainax, the company that did Eva and FLCL. It's purposefully over the top in a good way.

Code Geass has a great first season and a pretty WTF second. Whether it's a good or bad wtf depends on the person. (I didn't like it. Nor was it what the writer had intended. He had to rewrite the whole thing because the timeslot changed therefore meaning a whole new demographic that may not have seen the first season.)

Haven't really watched a whole lot of anime recently that I've really liked otherwise.

Adus on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Trigun and Outlaw Star are pretty good sci-fi ones.
    Hellsing Ultimate is good, but the story might move a bit too fast if you're not familiar with it at all.

Also Gurren Lagann, how did i forget that?

corky842 on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If there was a way to buy Death Note only up to episode 26, then I would say do it.

But if you have to watch them all, it's not worth it.

Most people really like TTGL. If you like giant robots and all that stuff, you probably would, too.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Standard responses for sci-fi action:
    Akira
    Ghost in the Shell (Also the Ghost in the Shell tv series, which is probably better than the movies- but a quick check on Amazon tells me it doesn't come on Blu-Ray.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    If there was a way to buy Death Note only up to episode 26, then I would say do it.

I wish I could have done this. Any ending I would have made up in my head would have been better than what was presented.

Ironically the live action films, while leaving out a lot of awesome moments, kind of do end it at around the 25 mark with a considerably better ending. Still wouldn't recommend them over the series, though.

Adus on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You for sure be lost if you jumped into shippuden, it would also be a waste of money. Its at volume, no joke, 53 and it still isnt over. Over 200 episodes, dont torture yourself

FLCL is a personal favorite of mine. The anime of Battle Angel is pretty short, but its enjoyable. You might also like the clean version of Mezzo Forte (also extrememly short)

Everybody loves Hellsing ultimate, but the old anime is pretty fun even it has nothing to do with the manga. It might also have a better chance of being available for purchase, but I could be wrong

I haven't watched Big O since middle school, but I recall it was pretty solid. Apparently its Batman but with giant robots (quote MelancholyMark)

Blood the Last Vampire was a short but well made movie, Blood+ might be worth looking into

Oh! Samurai Champloo, if you like Cowboy Bebop, is a jem. Even the english version is awesome, its actually how I preferred to watch it

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has one of the most finely crafted stories I've ever seen in an anime. It starts off with a bit of the "cutesy" stuff that you mentioned, but it quickly develops into a complete delineation from the original series (as mentioned, it follows the manga plotline, which is way better).

You mentioned Gundam, check out Gundam 00 (and its movie). 08th MS Team is also good, and it takes a "realistic" spin on the franchise, showing them to be very vulnerable machines that need a full ground crew for maintenance and upkeep, but are still amazing war machines in the hands of the right pilot.

Planetes is a great sci-fi anime set in the future, when man has established space colonies. Its story focuses on a group of what are essentially space debris janitors; even the smallest screw left alone in orbit can reach speeds of over 300 mph and can cripple a space vessel. Their job is to clean it up. It's shown in a very realistic manner, and that only serves to benefit it.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would recommend Black Lagoon. Fun series with a bit of a hardcore twist. And when you realize that the voice actress for Revy is the same as one of the sisters from Johnny Test it becomes a bit hilarious. Especially when she is responsable for like 53.8% of the FBombs in the show.

Strangely...this Youtube is pretty much what sold me on the series, well that and the manga helped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Too bad Haibane Renmei DVDs are ungodly expensive now (the only reliable way to get the last six episodes these days is as part of the boxset) or I would recommend that. Funi is resurrecting it from the Geneon pile at some point, though.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Full Metal Panic will appeal to you - the English dub is pretty solid too.

Premise is simple: highly trained boy-soldier commando gets placed in a high school to protect a girl who is far more socially aware than he is. Hilarity ensues. Also includes giant robots.

I certainly enjoyed it, and I'm with you on the hating the whole KAWAIII DESUUUU O.O''! realm of anime.

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Berserk is a great, low-budget anime based on one of the longest running dark fantasy mangas in Japan. It has fantastic character development and, despite some underwhelming animation, some very good artwork. I would recommend it if you're a fan of something that feels like it was written by Shakespeare and Quentin Tarantino.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm gonna throw in another vote for Trigun, it's western / sci-fi

Don't be thrown by the tone of the first few episodes, it's presented as a lighthearted comedy romp for the first half of the series, and then quickly shifts tone to grimdark once you meet the series bad guys.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has one of the most finely crafted stories I've ever seen in an anime. It starts off with a bit of the "cutesy" stuff that you mentioned, but it quickly develops into a complete delineation from the original series (as mentioned, it follows the manga plotline, which is way better).

You mentioned Gundam, check out Gundam 00 (and its movie). 08th MS Team is also good, and it takes a "realistic" spin on the franchise, showing them to be very vulnerable machines that need a full ground crew for maintenance and upkeep, but are still amazing war machines in the hands of the right pilot.

Planetes is a great sci-fi anime set in the future, when man has established space colonies. Its story focuses on a group of what are essentially space debris janitors; even the smallest screw left alone in orbit can reach speeds of over 300 mph and can cripple a space vessel. Their job is to clean it up. It's shown in a very realistic manner, and that only serves to benefit it.

These are both excellent. Don't hesitate to check either out. Samurai 7 was a fun time as well.

Artereis on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seconding Trigun and Samurai Champloo. Trigun is a condensed (and therefore better) version of Kenshin in a lot of ways: the main character is both the main comic relief and deeply badass, is a pacifist and also the world's most dangerous man, the stories are a mix of comedy and tragedy.

As for Samurai Champloo: where Cowboy Bebop is a mashup of sci-fi and noire tropes, Samurai Champloo does the same for, well, samurai and R&B. If you like those two things even a little, you'll probably dig it.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Patlabor 1 and 2 (2 especially)
    Black Lagoon
    Samurai Champloo
    Jin-Roh
    Anything by Satoshi Kon

Zeguna on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Champloo is awesome. Also makes fun of a lot of the tropes in anime.

schuss on
  • Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Already recommended that I'll re-inforce:

Samurai Champloo
    Outlaw Star
    Code Geass (Season 1)
    FLCL
    Hellsing (The ultimate, or the original versions)
    Trigun
    Gurren Lagan is decent but has never really sunk it's claws into me. Worth a look though.
    Bleach is good, but like mentioned there's a lot of filler.

Additional Recommendation:

Afro Samurai (and the movie) - Very very good animation, good story. 6(?) episode arc for the main series, then a sequel movie. Voiced by Sam Jackson is another reason I loved it though.

Vampire Hunter D is a little old nowadays buy it was still pretty good. Especially the second movie, Bloodlust. Might be harder to come by though.

Oricalm on
    Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ninja Scroll

Anybody recommended Samurai X yet?

Where do you guys watch your anime these days? Netflix?

Slider on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ninja Scroll is great as is Macross Plus. Neither appear available on blu-ray. Regarding Ghost in the shell, nothing is available on blu-ray but everything except Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society is available on Netflix instant viewing. I know you were asking about spending gift card cash but watch Ghost in the Shell and Stand alone complex (the first one and the 2nd gig) anyway!

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't limit yourself to just blu-ray. Upscaled DVDs are perfectly fine, and some of the blu-ray releases (Funimation's, specifically) are just upscales anyways. In some cases, the blu ray is worse (Samurai Champloo).

With that said, have you picked up the Evangelion blu rays yet?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zeguna wrote: »
    Patlabor 1 and 2 (2 especially)
    Black Lagoon
    Samurai Champloo
    Jin-Roh
    Anything by the late, great Satoshi Kon

That was one of the greater tragedies anime's seen lately. Series-wise, Paranoia Agent is excellent and only 13 episodes, and Paprika is probably his most accessible and visually-striking film.

Also - honestly, I enjoyed all of Death Note. I think it does more with 39 episodes than most series do with 200.

If you want a really, really strange experience, I'd absolutely recommend Kaiba. The visuals belie a deep and really quite affecting story, whilst being quite a trip in themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH3b9VGootM

Bioptic on
  • Options
    EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I second FLCL.

Trigun is fantastic.

And if you liked Cowboy Bebop, and haven't gotten Samuri Champloo, do it! It was done by the same creator, and is a great story.

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ^^
    Eeveelution's post is also my post.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Paranoia Agent is great. I just recently watched it the whole way through. It does at times have a Japanese feel to it, but it's very psychological.

Seconding FMA:B, but the first one was great too, if you ever make it through. The two series end up being about different things, but are each great in their own way.

I am a big fan of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (and Kai). They are incredibly violent and pretty scary and you will spend a lot of time wondering what the hell is going on and why you're watching the same story over and over, but for me the payoff was totally worth it.

Haibane Renmei is definitely amazing, but as was pointed out, good luck finding the whole thing for less than $toomuch. I can only imagine what it would cost on blu-ray.

Perfect Blue is another psychological thriller that was pretty good.

How much expression of Japanese culture is too much?

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Putting my vote in for some previously recommended:
    Trigun is a must watch for sci-fi/western lovers.
    Outlaw Star is also grand.
    FMA: Brotherhood. I personally did not enjoy the original at all, but loved the hell out of Brotherhood. Few slow bits that I skipped, but overall great story/action/characters.

My own suggestions:
    I highly, highly recommend Last Exile. It's more steampunk than anything, but it was a great watch.

And for something completely different, why not try Blood: The Last Vampire. It is the anime film that spawned the anime series Blood+. Haven't had a chance to watch the series, but the movie was excellent.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Last Exile was indeed pretty good, though I feel it kind of fell apart at the end. Also gonna second Paranoia Agent.

Seirei no Moribito (Sacred Guardian of the Spirit) is pretty good as well. It's very Japanese in that it takes place in a fantasy country that is very japanese culturally, but it's done straight, without silly meme's like bleeding noses or sweat drops. It has some very well animated fight scenes. Though it can drag a little bit at places.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Memories.

I have only had time to watch the first of the three short movies it's made up from, Magnetic Rose, but holy crap is it impressive. Hard scifi and psychological thriller mixed at its best. I love scifi anime. Magnetic rose features realistic space garbagemen just like Planetes, which I can recommend as well up until the ending (ugh). I wonder if the former inspired the latter or that they have some other common inspiration.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought the setting of Moribito was based more on Korea rather than Japan. Makes sense since Japan is an island nation.

Summer Wars comes out in February on Blu-ray. It's more of a family film, but it has cracking suspense and advanced technology. In the same vein, Dennou Coil has some really cool applications of possibly future technology.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everyone mentioning FLCL on the previous page is correct, it owns.

I'd say Big O but I'm pretty sure it's not on blu ray

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for all the feedback! You guys have some great suggestions here that I'm definitely going to be looking into more/queuing up on Netflix. Last Exile looks to be the thing I'm most excited for, and the Blu-Ray, which is only like six dollars more than dvd is coming out in June - definitely in my cart now. I've queued up Sword of the Stranger as it looks like a lot of fun but takes itself seriously enough to be a have a good tone.

You guys also did a great job of reminding me of stuff I saw as a kid, have since forgotten about, and can't wait to watch again. I loved Trigun, Akira, and more recently have just been watching Miyazaki films since. I'm definitely going to queue up FMA: Brotherhood on Netflix to give it a shot before buying up any of the series.

To answer the question of how much Japanese culture I can handle - I really like Valkyria Chronicles (the game) and because the concepts and story are good enough (and obviously the game play), I don't mind that there's a random pig character or the ham-fisted messages. Generally I like stuff that doesn't rely on the bizzare Japanese tropes to get anime fans to watch. To that end, I'm definitely going to check out Samurai Champloo as well.

Oh, also I have the Evangelion 1.11 movie and am eagerly awaiting the 2.22 release which looks to be coming out in April according to Amazon.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I usually dislike Anime but Baccano! was excellent and from the look of things it's still all on Hulu. Subtitled though, I distinctly remember watching it dubbed there...
    Castle of Cagliostro
    A Miyazaki-esque tale about a thief with a heart of gold... well it's Miyazaki-esque because it is Miyazaki's take on the famous Lupin the 3rd franchise. A very excellent comedic thriller.
    EDIT: Seconding this.

Sillender on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for all the feedback! You guys have some great suggestions here that I'm definitely going to be looking into more/queuing up on Netflix.
    Oh, you also have Netflix. That changes everything.

Netflix has a very decent selection of anime, and here are my recommendations.

Movies

Origin - Spirits of the Past
    A Miyazaki-esque tale about a boy living in a dystopian future overrun by nature. He finds a cryogenically frozen girl from the past, and a struggle of science vs nature ensues as they are chased after by mysterious forces.

Castle of Cagliostro
    A Miyazaki-esque tale about a thief with a heart of gold... well it's Miyazaki-esque because it is Miyazaki's take on the famous Lupin the 3rd franchise. A very excellent comedic thriller.

Series

Le Chevalier D'Eon
    Set right before the French revolution, this story follows D'Eon, a member of the French secret police who is investigating the death of his sister. A dark occult conspiracy that leads right up to the French revolution threatens his life, and he can only rely on a page, a musketeer, and his sister's ghost to save France.

Soul Eater
    Reapers train at Death's academy, wielding people who are transforming weapons as their partner(s). They hunt corrupted wayward souls and witches, training their skills as a witch's plot unfolds.

Witchblade
    Japan's take on the comic book story, which is surprisingly good. A mother is possessed by the Witchblade which unlocks a startling personality.

Moribito
    A fantasy tale about a female warrior and those she protects. Somewhat low on action but great on drama.

Claymore
    Berserk with a female lead but not as good.

Clannad
    DRAMA

Mushi-Shi
    MUSHY

Fruits Basket
    FRUITY

Darker Than Black
    Heroes. The anime.

Queen's Blade
    This is only here to specifically mention that you should not watch it.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I dunno, Clannad's pretty cute.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I love anime but something like clannad is just too.... shoujo

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You have not seen a true shoujo anime, my friend.

Clannad is based on a visual novel and something I would definitely not recommend to the OP.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My eyes would probably pop out of my skull

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks for all the feedback! You guys have some great suggestions here that I'm definitely going to be looking into more/queuing up on Netflix.
    Series

Le Chevalier D'Eon
    Set right before the French revolution, this story follows D'Eon, a member of the French secret police who is investigating the death of his sister. A dark occult conspiracy that leads right up to the French revolution threatens his life, and he can only rely on a page, a musketeer, and his sister's ghost to save France.
    Chevalier happens to have an excellent dub, by the way. Great series, if a little slow at times.
    B:L wrote: »
    Darker Than Black
    Heroes. The anime.
    Closer to The 4400, the anime, but no one ever watched that soooo

Still, this deserves a seconding, a thirding, a fourthing, and whatever else. It's one of my standard recommendations these days for people who haven't seen too much.

Other excellent dubs since you expressed an interest:
    Romeo X Juliet
    Big O

Ordinarily I would recommend Ouran High School Host Club, but I get the feeling it won't be up your alley.

My third standard recommendation, the movie Sword of the Stranger, definitely seems like something you could appreciate. In Blu-Ray.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've only ever seen the beginning of the Excel Saga (the very first DVD) but I was rolling on the ground with laughter. They theme every episode a certain way, and I think my favorite one is probably the bad action movie episode. Give it a shot.

joshofalltrades on