As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    And I'll probably be picking up Steel Diver--half for curiosity's sake, half for supporting a new IP from Nintendo in the hopes that the trend will continue.

This logic appeals to me, I may have to look into Steel Diver more. At first I was rather turned off by it. But it is new, and alien, and should be supported for just such a reason. Thanks V Faction for opening my eyes to this.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Steel Diver looks great to me, and I'll be grabbing it.

I do however hope you can turn off the voices.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MurchieMurchie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not really shocking news, but it looks like in Europe at least, Ubi has 6 titles on launch day:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/14/ubisoft-releasing-six-3ds-games-for-european-launch/

Murchie on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hrm. The more I look at the launch line up, the more I feel like I don't really need a 3DS on day 1. But here I have an early pre-order.

I don't suppose it's evil to go the ebay route if it's only one and you'd actually intended on buying it for yourself in the first place?

Darlan on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think it's ever evil to go the ebay route. People will pay you what they're willing to pay. You're being honest about it and all, it's not like you're sending them a Nintendo 3DS*

* box only

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Am I the only one who looks at the footage for Steel Diver and thinks mediocre WiiWare game?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Am I the only one who looks at the footage for Steel Diver and thinks mediocre WiiWare game?

Probably not but from the video sporky posted all I know is Nintendo's marketing arm can splice footage together in the worst way possible and that the guy playing it sucks.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

(BOOP) I'm sorry, I MAYDAYidn't quite get what you meant (BOOP). MAYDAYbe if you reworded it (BOOP) and FIREd again to explain it (BOOP) I could understand (BOOP). Some days I FIRE can't just FIRE seem to interpret (BOOP) FIRE what people are saying FIRE FIRE FIRE (BOOP).

"HEY, LISTEN!"

Oh god... It's happening all over again!!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This game would score extra points from me if it came out on May Day instead of launch.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Probably not but from the video sporky posted all I know is Nintendo's marketing arm can splice footage together in the worst way possible and that the guy playing it sucks.

Nintendo World Report is an unaffiliated news/blog site.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think it's ever evil to go the ebay route. People will pay you what they're willing to pay. You're being honest about it and all, it's not like you're sending them a Nintendo 3DS*

* box of spoons
    Fixed.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    This game would score extra points from me if it came out on May Day instead of launch.

I'd prefer Ascension Sunday myself.
    For you Red Dwarf fans.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rehab wrote: »

I'd prefer Ascension Sunday myself.
    For you Red Dwarf fans.

I lol'd.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy Fucking Balls. 3DS for £157 (blue only) from Tescos.

To give some sense of scale for non UK-ers:

- 3DS announced for £230

- On the same day, drops to £220 online.

- Within a few weeks, has dropped to £202 on the major sites like Play.com and Amazon.

- Shortly afterwards, drops to £197 on Amazon.

- And is now £157 at Tesco. That's around $55 cheaper than the US price. Just hope it's not a misprice, 'cos then things could really start to get interesting...

Bioptic on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Goddamn, £160? That is a price I can get behind.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Competition lowering prices? Madness!

Jintor on
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I preordered on Amazon when it was £229. £202 felt awesome, and £197 was another hearty pat on the back. I'm glad this price war still hasn't ended. I'm not going to jump ship (MAYDAY!) from Amazon unless Tesco start selling the (far better) black one for that cheap, though. Hopefully Amazon will further reduce their price to compete, although I don't see them matching £157 - especially seeing as the rumours were that unit cost is around £160 or something for retailers.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ace Jon wrote: »
    I preordered on Amazon when it was £229. £202 felt awesome, and £197 was another hearty pat on the back. I'm glad this price war still hasn't ended. I'm not going to jump ship (MAYDAY!) from Amazon unless Tesco start selling the (far better) black one for that cheap, though. Hopefully Amazon will further reduce their price to compete, although I don't see them matching £157 - especially seeing as the rumours were that unit cost is around £160 or something for retailers.

I suspect the pricing was an error - Tesco recently launched a "VAT-beating" discount of 20% of games stuff, but probably didn't mean for it to apply to pre-orders for an unreleased console. Still, my order's gone through (as in, they've taken payment which means that they've completed the sale) so it'll be interesting to see how others react.

Incidentally, what's wrong with the blue one? I heard similar things about it looking a bit 'off' from Radio Free Nintendo, but it looked fine to me in every video I've seen. I'm a bit tired of Nunmore Black honestly, but I'd appreciate opinions from people who've actually seen that model in the flesh.

Although I also loved the two-tone Indigo/Clear Gamecube controller, so my opinions may well be deviant.

EDIT: It was indeed a misprice, but Tesco are saying that they'll honour any orders placed. Is the Teal eye-searing I'll endure over the next few years worth the £40 saved? Only time will tell.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When does the Japanese version come out? isnt it like in a week or two? I'm really interested in hearing more hands on the final unit...i would also assume that nintendo would start putting display keosks out in gamestops and such a few weeks before release in the US so people can demo the 3d before buying.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    When does the Japanese version come out? isnt it like in a week or two? I'm really interested in hearing more hands on the final unit...i would also assume that nintendo would start putting display keosks out in gamestops and such a few weeks before release in the US so people can demo the 3d before buying.

The 3DS release in Japan is February 26th. So we'll have a lot more hands-on impressions in about 11 days.

Edit: Bioptic, where are you seeing that Tesco will honor those orders? Everything I've seen has said they won't.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Incidentally, what's wrong with the blue one? I heard similar things about it looking a bit 'off' from Radio Free Nintendo, but it looked fine to me in every video I've seen. I'm a bit tired of Nunmore Black honestly, but I'd appreciate opinions from people who've actually seen that model in the flesh.

Although I also loved the two-tone Indigo/Clear Gamecube controller, so my opinions may well be deviant.

EDIT: It was indeed a misprice, but Tesco are saying that they'll honour any orders placed. Is the Teal eye-searing I'll endure over the next few years worth the £40 saved? Only time will tell.
    I'm judging from online content as much as you are. Different strokes, different folks.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I finally broke down and pre-ordered a black one from Amazon last night. My financial situation has improved to the point where it wasn't a ridiculous thing to do, but mainly the only reason was that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find one later, in case it catches on like crazy. I felt guilty doing it, too, considering I just got a DSiXL for Christmas, but like I said, I don't want to have to go nuts hunting this thing down later once the good stuff starts rolling out and more people decide that they want one.

The launch line-up is, well... pretty anemic, would be the polite way to put it. The only launch title I find very appealing is SF4, and then I remembered I don't like playing fighting games anymore; they're fun, but I don't have a lot of time to play games any more, and certainly not enough time to get competitive and stay competitive at a fighting game (I'm also assuming that the single player will be the usual bad experience against uber-cheap opponents who can read all your moves and behave like no human players on Earth; maybe I'm wrong). I was interested in Steel Diver until I heard that video; now I'm waiting for reviews and comments from people I trust on that one.

Still, better to have it now, and only buy it once*, then to want it later and not be able to find or afford one.

*not counting the inevitable 3DS Lite, 3DSi, 3DS Micro, 3DS XL, etc., etc., etc. of which at least one will be appealing enough to make me drop money twice like the gullible consumer I am

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    pslong9 wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

The 3DS release in Japan is February 26th. So we'll have a lot more hands-on impressions in about 11 days.

Edit: Bioptic, where are you seeing that Tesco will honor those orders? Everything I've seen has said they won't.

I heard some things to the contrary via the blogs, but Tesco has since released an official statement saying they're doing refunds. Except that they haven't approached me about any refund, and to the best of my knowledge they've still charged me - so we'll see.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    Isn't it called Nintendogs + Cats? Where are the cats?

(I'm only asking because having an Iriomote wildcat as a pet would be absolutely superific.)

From what I've heard, cats are really getting the shaft. You really can't choose a breed, only different colors. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Nintendo is phoning this one in.

So far that's just a rumor from one blog site, I can't even find reference to it anymore, and it could very easily be as a result of seeing the demo version for shows. What we do know that's been stated by Nintendo is that you start off picking a dog breed, and a cat will just wander in later, as cats are known to do. After that, we know nothing - can you find a pet shop that will sell you cats later just like buying other dogs in Nintendogs?

And they're definitely not phoning it in, they've already expressed how difficult it was to incorporate the cats to begin with, new models and new animations and all.

Just as an FYI, I've read this over at 1up as well (at least based on what they've played at various events). They said the cats feel completely tacked on.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's a pity...I was looking forward to having a cat, even though I do like dogs.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, I've read this over at 1up as well (at least based on what they've played at various events). They said the cats feel completely tacked on.

I'm looking for this over there and I can't find it. Was there a specific page or preview of it? Did they go into any detail besides "tacked on," like you can't take them on walks or you can't make them do tricks, anything like that?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Norfair wrote: »
    The launch line-up is, well... pretty anemic, would be the polite way to put it.

A lot of people have said this, but I'm going to have to politely disagree. I mean, compared to what games have been announced for the 3DS, there's clearly better stuff to come. But just compared to other console launches in the last 10 years, I can't think of any that were much better.

I guess my point is that launch line-ups are, by their nature, pretty underwhelming, because it often takes too much time to make exclusive, high-quality games for a new system.

My other point is that SF4 is great, and I really want to play it on-the-go.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'm looking for this over there and I can't find it. Was there a specific page or preview of it? Did they go into any detail besides "tacked on," like you can't take them on walks or you can't make them do tricks, anything like that?

http://www.1up.com/features/3ds-games-don?pager.offset=2
    Jeremy: As a cat person, I think I'm more annoyed by Nintendogs + Cats than I would be if they'd just made it an all-dog game. Cats are definitely getting the raw deal here; each of the three versions of the game is defined by its dog breeds (French bulldog, husky, toy poodle, etc.). The cats are just an afterthought with no clear distinction. Want a tabby, or a Persian, or a Siamese, or maybe an Iriomote cat to go along with your Shiba-inu? Tough luck, cat lovers. You just get a generic cat to go along with your specialized dog breed. Sure, it's a trivial thing to complain about, but it kind of feels like the key selling point of this new version (besides the fluffier animal fur or whatever) misses the mark. The dog people win again.

I don't think they went into specific detail anywhere, but it sounds like basically there's one type of cat and that's it, and it's just kind of there. Seems like I saw something else that said a tiny bit more but I can't remember where it was. I do recall them complaining at e3 (when it was announced) that they didn't even show cats in the playable versions on the floor at all.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm confused since the Iwata Asks implied there were multiple cat breeds.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Opty wrote: »
    I'm confused since the Iwata Asks implied there were multiple cat breeds.

It could be the press demos were lacking in what they showed of the cat breeds maybe?

I read through the Iwata Asks thing though and I almost wonder if "breeds" is more of a code word for colors in that case. Maybe just my imagination, but the way he talked about it almost sounded like "there will be Siamese cats but they will just be the same cat model colored like a Siamese." They almost mentioned the different cat breeds in passing, like it's not even a big deal. Most of the talk is about shooting real cats for the cover art more than anything.

And the whole beginning of the thing talks about how cats are deliberately less important (to the point they wanted to make the "+ cats" part of the title smaller) which I almost find insulting.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The thing is, cats are just not as interactive as dogs, and I say this a person who owns two cats and doesn't really like dogs. You can't really take them for walks without them possibly freaking out, you can't teach them tricks unless they really really want to earn that treat, and you rarely need to give a cat a bath.

Different cat breeds exist but it's not as important as dog breeds. Most people own regular shorthair cats and most people don't even know about other breeds besides siamese and persian. Plus, cats of different breeds don't vary in appearance as much as dogs. A russian blue, a turkish van, and an ocicat still look like "cats". Their slightly different bone structures and colour patterns are not that big of a deal.

Nintendogs+cats could be realistic with many different breeds but the cats just sleep all day and don't want to learn tricks, or they could make it unrealistic with cats doing dog tricks, going for walks, taking baths, and having only one breed. I'm not sure which is better.

Taya on
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Taya wrote: »
    Nintendogs+cats could be realistic with many different breeds but the cats just sleep all day and don't want to learn tricks, or they could make it unrealistic with cats doing dog tricks, going for walks, taking baths, and having only one breed. I'm not sure which is better.

How about cats wearing glasses? Is that better enough for you?

Catshade on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There isn't a cat in the world who would stand for that.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...Is that cat wearing pink glasses?

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That is a very astute looking cat.

Apparently you can make them wear all kinds of silly things. A sombrero was also mentioned in an interview or video that I came across. I find all of this kind of funny too because most cats would tell you to fuck right off if you did those things. A lot of dogs hate that kind of shit too, but overall they seem more likely to tolerate it.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cats being dressed up in funny clothing against their will? It really is like the real world!

I wonder if there'll be any catnip options.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I completely forgot you could dress up your dogs in Nintendogs, even though it was a major feature of the game. Haha.

I like how the cat cleans itself for like five minutes. That's pretty realistic.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

http://www.1up.com/features/3ds-games-don?pager.offset=2

snipped

I don't think they went into specific detail anywhere, but it sounds like basically there's one type of cat and that's it, and it's just kind of there. Seems like I saw something else that said a tiny bit more but I can't remember where it was. I do recall them complaining at e3 (when it was announced) that they didn't even show cats in the playable versions on the floor at all.

Oh ok, yeah, I had read that too. I just wondered if there was new information that really confirmed they were tacked on in a major way. The quote feels to me like one guy's opinion, all we really know is that you can't choose a cat at the very beginning. We don't know if you can buy different ones later, or if it lets you interact with them in the same capacity as dogs, or really anything else. Certainly these sorts of impressions don't bode well for all of that, but I still think the issue is that they've only been quick preview events without enough time to determine how it's set up.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DISCLAIMER: BEFORE READING INTO THIS THREAD OR BECOMING TOO INTERESTED IN THE 3DS, YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT ROGER EBERT HAS DECLARED THAT IT DOES NOT WORK!

Yes, that is right, 3D does not work and the case is closed.

omg why

why must everything I love to out to be just be an elaborate conspiracy to mind control me

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My fear is not only is the launch lineup a little...slim (Ghost Recon X-Com style intrigues me at best) but that we will have a DS launch style 6 month wait for anything else of note (Resi, MGS etc...).

Also, maybe it's the hype the NGP is getting from developers (talk of COD, Elder Scrolls etc...) but where are the promised 3rd party killer apps for the 3DS? no talk of any outside of Japan (and not even Monster Hunter).

But I still want one....

Venkman90 on