As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    LOL, I see you guys have some of my AR pics from GAF up there.

THE PORTAL HAS BEEN OPENED

I lurk over there, but we're just excited about hearing actual hands-on impressions from non-journalists. Are you liking SSFIV? It's the one launch game that I'll probably pick up, as it looks pretty awesome.
    V Faction wrote:
    I'm curious if there will ever be a 'Transfer Friend List' function in order to make sharing friends with your peers/siblings/family/etc. easier and to streamline the process of transporting friends to a brand-new 3DS.

IIRC, they had something like this with the original DS and its Nintendo WFC settings -- you could beam the settings over from one DS to another. I don't think it was even technically possible to transfer friend lists, though, because of how the Friend Code was generated from the specific game/DS hardware combo.

Regardless, we'll hear about any possibility of transferring friend lists when the eventual 3DS Lite/XL/Pequeño comes around and people double-dip en masse. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The transfer on the DS basically swapped the hardware ID numbers so when games generate your friend code it'd be the same and your friends list (stored in the individual games) wouldn't become invalid.

Opty on
  • Options
    donkey showdonkey show Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, maybe we should not use stuff from GAF, else invite more "LOL"ers into this forum.

Cry moar, please.
    Lurker wrote:
    THE PORTAL HAS BEEN OPENED

I lurk over there, but we're just excited about hearing actual hands-on impressions from non-journalists. Are you liking SSFIV? It's the one launch game that I'll probably pick up, as it looks pretty awesome.

Yeah, SSFIV is pretty much like the console versions so if you enjoy those, you'll enjoy this one. Using the touch screen for certain moves does give a decent advantage to the player if their execution isn't up to par. Been playing online recently and its just as good or as bad as you'd expect from P2P on the console versions as well. Playing in the over-the-shoulder mode is a nice diversion from the rest of the game, but it doesn't take away from the experience at all. There are also figures to collect as well, so that'll add to the replay value if you're a collection whore.

I can't really comment on the StreetPass stuff as I doubt anyone in the 5-10 mile radius of me here in the Los Angeles area has a 3DS as well. Awesome stuff nonetheless. When you're playing with 3D on, it looks like you're playing with a moving diorama.

donkey show on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gah, I suck at getting 3D out of those side by side images that you have to look at cross eyed.

Definitely going to check out that 8-4 Play podcast soon though.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    Gah, I suck at getting 3D out of those side by side images that you have to look at cross eyed.

Definitely going to check out that 8-4 Play podcast soon though.

haha, I was having problems too, but I finally got it. Hurts the shit out of my eyes though since everything but the extrapolated image is blurry as shit.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3DS sold out in Japan on Day 1. That's 400,000 units.

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/61325/

This thing is a monster. And it prints money.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jesus christ.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jave wrote: »
    3DS sold out in Japan on Day 1. That's 400,000 units.

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/61325/

This thing is a monster. And it prints money.

Someone needs to alter the standard image so that when you cross your eyes, it sprays money directly at you.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    For those of you who are concerned with overall battery life... I'm pushing 3.25 hours with 3 bars left on the battery. Could be close to halfway, but this is with some light wifi play, brightness to 1, occasional full 3D slider, and headphones.

When I mentioned 2 hours and 45 minutes last night, that was with WiFi on, full brightness, full 3D slider, full volume, etc.

donkey show on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't think the 3d slider affects battery life. Depending on how it works it either doesn't affect it at all, or it's an on/off kind of effect on battery life.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't think the 3d slider affects battery life. Depending on how it works it either doesn't affect it at all, or it's an on/off kind of effect on battery life.

That's what I've heard as well. Regardless, I only have it either on or off when playing.

donkey show on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm not really concerned about battery life as I doubt i would play for more than 2 hours at a time. You say 3 bars left after 3.25 hours, but how many bars does a full batter have?

Also, I really like the sound of "moving diorama." It brings a mental image of like an Indian in the Cupboard shoebox diorama action, lol.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The battery has 4 bars. I just crossed the halfway mark at nearly 4 hours using the settings above.

donkey show on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That sounds more than reasonable. Assuming it's not like my gas tank gauge where I get twice as many miles out of the first half than the last half.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Does the 3DS have four settings for brightness, or five? I don't know if it's just me getting older now or what :( but I remember being okay with the middle setting on my older DSes, and now on my XL I normally keep it on the next-to-max setting. It's mostly for actual brightness, but I feel the colors are a lot nicer too.

Outside of a completely blackened room, I don't see how anyone could use the lowest setting, but it's great that you're flexing the min/max settings, donkey show. Thanks!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey donkey show, thanks for posting your comments and the 3DS pics and such.

Yeah, GAF is really the best source for a lot of stuff like this, PA doesn't attract a lot of the "man on the scene" crowd or game devs / journalists. They really do get a ton of information first so I trawl over there sometimes. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Where are all the accounts of how the 3D looks? I still want to know if it "really works".

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, as much as I rag on GAF, it's huge in sheer numbers and also gets a lot of Dev attention. It's great for announcements and news, and for non-System Wars discussions (I wish I had access to post just to thank their PSP custom firm thread). Everything else, though, gets bogged down in infantile nonsense.

I saw donkey show post this earlier about his lowest-brightness test run:
    Got 5 hours 15 minutes, give or take, this time. Again, that's with occasional 3D slider gameplay, about 45 minutes of Wi-Fi, brightness 1, power save off, 30 minutes or so of AR play.

So it sounds like the entire "3 to 5 hours of battery life" spiel that started weeks of debate around here might prove to be literal: 3-ish hours at max power, 5-ish hours at lowest settings. If this is corroborated, it probably means I'll only get 4 hours per day, putting it on par with my iPhone 4. It's not a dealbreaker for me as it is for some people, but I think my wife will think I'm crazy because I already have one charging station filled with things to plug in every night. At least the cradle looks nice. :/

Lunker on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When can we get induction charging stations that just charge everything in the house?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    when the electronics to do so become massively cheap.

But apparently everyone was supposed to go to the same USB charger and they're STILL making those damn things propietary *looks at Motorola*

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So with regards to DS games, is the 3DS region locked? Here's one report that says it isn't. http://www.destructoid.com/3ds-and-ds-regions-ok-usa--195116.phtml

Also, I just tried that crossed eye thing and it actually works. Though I got a headache now.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    No, only DSi enhanced DS games are region locked. Normal DS games are not.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    Where are all the accounts of how the 3D looks? I still want to know if it "really works".

Dude, read the thread. Everyone who's seen it with reasonable eyesight has said it works as well as advertised. Yes, it really works.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

Dude, read the thread. Everyone who's seen it with reasonable eyesight has said it works as well as advertised. Yes, it really works.

I got to see it at the NYC press event, and indeed, it really works. (In fact, I'm pretty sure that the first time I got to see it -- someone had a unit running little diorama visual demos in the line for press check-in -- I actually blurted out loud, "Hey, it really works!")

I'm not sure how much one can write about it -- it's just something you literally see coming out at you. It is freaking impressive the first few times you see it, though I've also honestly never seen a 3-D movie in the theaters and only seen a needs-glasses gaming setup once or twice.

Lunker on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    donkey show, having played as much as you have, how's your reaction to the "eye strain" complaints that early impressions seemed to have?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    donkey show, having played as much as you have, how's your reaction to the "eye strain" complaints that early impressions seemed to have?

Eh, they're okay so far. I didn't do extensive 3D play today, but I do feel like I need to disconnect for a bit though. :shock:

And no prob about the impressions. Just ask away and I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

donkey show on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Knowing the way Nintendo typically makes hardware and software, what things have surprised you the most about the 3DS? Either good or bad - a nice touch that shows a step in the right direction, or an element that's just too simplified or outdated.

Can you confirm or deny that the friend list supports 100 friends?

And does the Mii RPG actually unlock new parts for the separate Mii channel, or is it more superficial than that, just for show in the RPG etc.? I've seen that the first reward is a Mario hat, and I wouldn't be surprised if you get a Link hat or Samus helmet...have you played it at all and earned anything else?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So 400k units at roughly 30,000 yen makes Nintendo what?

120 million dollars richer in one day?

Edit: or was it 25,000Y (100M)?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Standard 'it prints money' joke here

Jintor on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy snot. 28 days. It's just a February away.

These photos make it harder. Why do I do this myself?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Knowing the way Nintendo typically makes hardware and software, what things have surprised you the most about the 3DS? Either good or bad - a nice touch that shows a step in the right direction, or an element that's just too simplified or outdated.

Can you confirm or deny that the friend list supports 100 friends?

And does the Mii RPG actually unlock new parts for the separate Mii channel, or is it more superficial than that, just for show in the RPG etc.? I've seen that the first reward is a Mario hat, and I wouldn't be surprised if you get a Link hat or Samus helmet...have you played it at all and earned anything else?

Eh, if anything stands out, I guess it feels less sturdy than the DSi. The menu is pretty slick and switching between apps is easy. It's just really slick and doesn't feel like a chore to get through. The music player has been pretty fun to mess around with. 3D is a fun diversion, but I've been keeping it on a lower setting since it seems easier on the eyes than on full blast.

As for the friends list and StreetPass RPG, I can't comment on those because the former doesn't show a limit as of yet and no one I know owns a 3DS around me, heh. You need other people's Miis that you collect from StreetPass to play.

I'll update as time passes on. =)

donkey show on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is the three-layer thing as obnoxious as it looked at first sight?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I had some hands-on at launch announcment au; you don't really notice it.

(What do you mean obnoxious?)

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They actually explain the reasoning for the whole three layer design in one of the Iwata Asks.
    Iwata Asks wrote:
    Iwata: So that was how you interpreted it when we said the proposals at the first presentation weren't new enough?

Ehara: Yes. I wanted to change it more. I thought about a completely new three-layer structure that you see when you closed the system. Each layer would be a slightly different color in a three-tone gradation.

Iwata: Why was that?

Ehara: The Nintendo 3DS system not only has the StreetPass, but also SpotPass. We wanted to represent through the design how all kinds of content would come in, not just when you went out walking around with it, but also when you just had it sitting at home.

Iwata: You wanted it to visually express the accumulation of content.

Ehara: There were also reasons of functionality for having three layers. For the top layer, we want players to open their Nintendo 3DS system very often, so in order to make it easy to open, we wanted to use a distinct reverse taper.

(Taper: A slanted edge around a metal mold for making it easier to remove the molded product, as well as the corresponding edge on the product)

Iwata: A reverse taper is like an upside-down trapezoidal cube.

Ehara: Yes. By boldly using that shape for the top layer, without having to add in a niche for your finger, you could easily open the lid at any point along its edge. For the second layer, it was decided to put a sound volume slider and LED lights on the side, so in order to avoid accidentally hitting buttons when operating the system or carrying it around, we decided to concentrate them on that single layer and make the whole layer a bit of an indentation, which would make the top layer even easier to open.

Iwata: So that's why the second layer is tucked in a bit.

Ehara: Right. Then for the bottom layer, I wondered if we could adopt something like the sign system at airports. I thought putting icons or lettering on the third level for the buttons and LED lights on the second level would be a good way to make everything clear to users.

Iwata: But the top layer was a problem.

Ehara: Yeah. The first point of design was the top. We wanted to express the character of the Nintendo 3DS system, how data came in and the graphics have depth, through the three gradations of color, texture and depth—the color gradually darkened, the shine gradually increased, and a feeling of depth gradually came out. What's more, we designed it to have a variety of expressions, so to speak, so that depending on the angle you view it from, the lines of the clear layer appear and disappear and you see things deep in. We thought we could give it an entirely different texture than previous Nintendo DS models. When we made the presentation, I started by saying, "I don't know if we can actually make this, but…" I was suggesting something that required a disclaimer!
    Anyway, I don't think it looks too bad myself. Its actually kind of an interesting look and when you read why they made it the way they did it makes a lot of sense.

Some more details about the 3DS sellout:

IGN wrote:
    It would be accurate to say that the 3DS is sold out throughout Japan. However, this is one system that won't be totally impossible to find for long. Following the system's launch Saturday morning, we found one retailer that was expecting a new shipment as early as Sunday!

The system did sell out quickly upon release, however. Most shops were pre-order only, but the ones that did have same day units drew lines of up to 1,000. Stock depleted quickly, and in most cases if you hadn't lined up by 9:00, you were out of luck.

Nintendo has officially said that it will have 1.5 million systems shipped to Japanese shops by the end of this fiscal term (March 31). Nikkei has confirmed an initial shipment of just above 400,000 units, a figure that's in line with initial shipments for the Wii and original DS.

Launch titles included Nintendogs + cats (available in three versions), Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Combat of Giants Dinosaur 3D, Ridge Racer 3D, Samurai Warriors Chronicle, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Winning Eleven 3D and Puzzle Bobble 3D. One major shop in Tokyo told Japanese gaming site Famitsu.com that Ridge Racer, Winning Eleven, Street Fighter and Layton were particularly popular.

Retailers throughout Tokyo have been adding a big 3DS presence to their game areas in the build up to the system's launch. In most cases, displays consist of demo kiosks allowing users to sample the system's launch titles.

That there were 400,000 units doesn't seem like a lot to launch with considering this is the successor to their best selling handheld, but I guess 1.5 million units made avaiable by the end of March isn't too bad.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The armchair analysts on GAF could probably tell you why

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Launching in multiple territories, Nintendo is conservative, produciton limitations, blah blah blah . . .

Rehab on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the real problem is they aren't finished building the money bins for all the money it prints.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I do find it really funny when people accuse Nintendo of intentionally holding back on production to create buzz through news of systems selling out everywhere though.

Because I'm sure thats worth not selling an extra few hundred thousand or million units in a given shipment and reaping more profit and potentially still selling out anyway!

Rehab on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    I think the real problem is they aren't finished building the money bins for all the money it prints.

Perhaps it's because they only stuff their money in easily breakable clay pots?

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That would be stupid of them! I mean, clay pots are waaay too obvious. What else would you put in a breakable clay pot? You have to hide your money in somewhat tall grass or under randomly placed boulders.

Boulders because, well, they're heavy and so surely no one would attempt to lift it up over their head, toss it aside, and then take your money. Grass because its green and so it blends in, obviously.

Rehab on