As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HHmm MonkeyBall looks pretty good until I saw the racing. Main game looked good though. I just want to know how it compares to other games in the series. Is it more like 1, 2, or Wii version?

No Monkey Target would be sad.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Christ, everything's just going to be ______ 3D!!!!!1111! now, isn't it?

Just like movies!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Figured I'd cross post my impressions from over on GAF -

Got around to a Best Buy after my class tonight. (For anyone in Arizona, the San Tan Mall Best Buy out in Gilbert has the demo unit in) and figured I'd give my impressions:

First off: The look. The thing looks sleek, theres no doubt about it. Also, god damn is it small. Pretty sure its a bit smaller than the DSLite. I doubt we'll be seeing a smaller revision, at most we'll see a 3DS XL, but I highly doubt that we'll end up with 4 different versions like we did this time. Anyways, as for the color, I'm glad I stuck with Black, the blue is absolutely atrocious looking. Some people may like it, but the sea-green-blue look just looked awful to me.

Controls: The Slide Pad felt great, And probably the best possible solution without having a full on stick, while still being better than the shitty psp nub. It'll be a pleasure playing 3d games with that as opposed to a dpad this time around. The buttons were all nice and clicky, much better than the god awful mushy buttons of the DS Lite. I actually didn't bother with the Stylus at all so I can't really comment on that.

The Graphics and 3D: Its about gamecube quality, though there was some disappointing aliasing around some of the models. Overall though, Wuhu island looked fantastic, and honestly far closer to its wii counterpart (in terms of graphical fidelity) than I expected. As for the 3D Its both different, yet better than I was expecting. To reiterate whats been said already, its like looking into a window. Took an initial adjustment period of 30 seconds or so before it really just clicked with my eyes. For the sweet spot in terms of viewing angle, I was disappointed as hell. You can't move it nearly as much as I expected without distorting the 3D. Not that it will really make that much of a difference since its a handheld and I'm going to have it in more or less the same position relative to me no matter what, but still, a lot smaller than I was expecting.

I kept the 3D on half for about 5 minutes, before ramping it up to full. Despite what people have said, I thought Pilotwings on full 3D was fantastic, and I can't imagine playing it at any level of 3D besides that, though 2D looked great too. Looking down at the bottom screen, up at the 3d screen and even at my surroundings and didn't have any weird issues adjusting between anything. I may end up playing some games in 2D mode when I feel like it, either way it looks absolutely fantastic. I played for about 20 minutes total, and walked away without feeling any Eye strain whatsoever, and I repeat this was after Pilotwings on Full 3D for 15 minutes, which many people have complained about. I did have probably the weakest and most pathetic "headache" ever, but it was almost nothing, and subsided after just a few minutes.

That being said, while the 3D effect is something else, It's not really the selling point for me, so yah.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Saddest PR move in a looong time:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/the-3ds-comes-to-giant-bomb/17-3905/

Very awkward to watch. :?

aunsoph on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    aunsoph wrote: »

Yeah, awkward is the best word to describe it. Once the gals leave, Jeff's demeanor basically becomes ok, now we can actually create a compelling video.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hm...that Ghost Recon game actually sounds promising. Hopefully it turns out to be a good Strategy/RPG.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Oh come now, THQ's stupid balloon stunt like two weeks ago

Jintor on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm still riding on Rayman 3D and we haven't heard anything on it. But today Kotaku posted pictures of the game coming with the 3DS they received so here's hoping for some insight.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I've seen sadder. That was not as advertised!

1UP and other sites appartently got the same treatment too. And I kind of have to wonder just how many of these unboxing videos we really need. Its not that compelling.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

If they do it a third time, you can go ahead and sue them for false advertising.

By the way, not the only place it's happening.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rocket Slime 3DS, I'm just going to let that sink in.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »
    The buttons were all nice and clicky, much better than the god awful mushy buttons of the DS Lite.

thank youuuuuuu

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HHmm MonkeyBall looks pretty good until I saw the racing. Main game looked good though. I just want to know how it compares to other games in the series. Is it more like 1, 2, or Wii version?

No Monkey Target would be sad.

There's no Monkey Target, for some reason they've abandoned that particular game for years now. They dropped the "tons of minigames" thing and now there's just two that they put a little more effort into, the Mario Kart clone and the Smash Bros. clone.
    Yeah, awkward is the best word to describe it. Once the gals leave, Jeff's demeanor basically becomes ok, now we can actually create a compelling video.

Which he failed at by acting like an idiot the entire time. "Name my system Sony NGP hurr hurr, read warnings out loud, wave the system around because it's threeeee deeeee!!!!"
    MarioG wrote: »
    I'm still riding on Rayman 3D and we haven't heard anything on it. But today Kotaku posted pictures of the game coming with the 3DS they received so here's hoping for some insight.

A guy who played it was posting about it over at Neogaf, he said it's Rayman 2, for better or for worse. Dreamcast assets, or perhaps slightly better, some random framerate drops but nothing hugely disappointing. It should be a nice decently long adventure if you don't have anything against the game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Destructoid has one where a baby opens it. I'd kind of like to subvert or otherwise parody the whole thing when I get mine; any suggestions? Simple stuff, preferably; operating off a small, small budget.

Maybe I can get my cats to open it (after breaking the tape first, of course)... though they're more likely to just poke around it with their noses for a while before actually trying to get in.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Destructoid has one where a baby opens it. I'd kind of like to subvert or otherwise parody the whole thing when I get mine; any suggestions? Simple stuff, preferably; operating off a small, small budget.

Maybe I can get my cats to open it (after breaking the tape first, of course)... though they're more likely to just poke around it with their noses for a while before actually trying to get in.

Do the opposite of unboxing it.

Record a normal unboxing video and then play it in reverse, maybe record a new audio track for the reversal. "And here's the manual, back in the box you go..."

Or you could pull out the 3DS, have everyone expecting an unboxing video, but instead you put it in a series of other boxes, wrap it up and put it on a shelf, and the video ends with you sitting at a coffee shop drinking a latte for 5 minutes.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Personally, I'd like to see two things for whoever gets a 3DS. First, how does the MP3 player work (Is it a substitute for a iPod) and secondly, how does the video player look? I seem to recall it having a movie player, but I could be mistaken.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to see two things for whoever gets a 3DS. First, how does the MP3 player work (Is it a substitute for a iPod) and secondly, how does the video player look? I seem to recall it having a movie player, but I could be mistaken.

The music player is about the same as on DSi. As such, it's built more for fun than for serious iPod style music playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AULE3nFR-k

You choose your music from a folder list, I don't know if it has selection by artist, album, any of that. Then it just plays with one of several cool visualizations, you can apply a few goofy audio filters to it, add sound effects, play it fast/slow/high pitched/low pitched.

As far as convenient listening though, from what I've read you can close the system and it will keep playing through the headphones, and you can cycle through tracks with L and R. Don't quote me on that, though.

I don't think the 3DS plays movies by default. They're still working on a 3D video creation/editing program and Netflix won't be coming until summer.

The first Japanese firmware update included this video, however - by itself, no real interface, just a taste of things to come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySaBb1ZiWpc

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One really minor and stupid thing that I don't like about the DSi is that the alarm clock can't play full songs, it can only play those little ten second clips that you make. Unless I simply can't figure out how to set it up.

I don't own an alarm clock so I wake up via DS, and it would be cool if the first thing I hear in the morning is Eridan's Theme or something.

Taya on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Taya wrote: »
    One really minor and stupid thing that I don't like about the DSi is that the alarm clock can't play full songs, it can only play those little ten second clips that you make. Unless I simply can't figure out how to set it up.

I don't own an alarm clock so I wake up via DS, and it would be cool if the first thing I hear in the morning is Eridan's Theme or something.

My alarm clock plays a (n awful midi recreation) of the Super Metroid opening.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ...I just envisioned an alarm clock with a midi sequencer built into it where you can punch in tunes by touch.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Microsoft Kinect E3 party? Nope, doesn't top that.

Anything involving Homefront? Not even close.

It would've been better if anyone at Giant Bomb knew how to talk to a woman.

Also Monkeyballs mini games just look Sega tried to beat people to the system with Mario game clones.

Algertman on
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Norfair, thanks for making me not feel like the only one here getting Lego Star Wars with my 3ds. I also got a pittance minibonus from work (Hurray pittance!) so I can grab another title or two at launch. I think I'm going to get Steel Diver, just to support Nintendo doing a new IP. For the other (now 3rd) game, I have no idea. I have never enjoyed Street Fighter... so that's pretty much out, unless I get my hands on a demo that changes my mind. Ghost Recon Shadow Wars could be interesting. Samurai Warriors could also work... Then again, I may just wait for things to go on sale.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    Alex Atkin UKAlex Atkin UK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Monkey Ball missing the mini games killed it for me. I always loved Monkey Bowling and played that more than the main game so its not worth buying without it to me.

That said only Zelda is a must buy so far, everything else I will rent. Seems pretty clear I will mostly be playing DS games on it for a while, but then its a huge upgrade from my DS Phat so well worth it. At least I have all the built in toys to play with.

Alex Atkin UK on
    3DS Code: 1118 0213 2138 Pokemon Black: 3997 6322 9891
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Even if it is lacking in depth, I'm still getting Pilot Wings on release as a good way to show off the 3D to people. Until OoT hits I'm comfortable with my purchase essentially being a rich man's toy so I can try and impress people :P

It's not like there aren't enough games already announced to make me sure I'd be inevitably getting the system sometime very soon (New Mario, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Professor [strike]Mario[/strike] Layton.)

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ...I just envisioned an alarm clock with a midi sequencer built into it where you can punch in tunes by touch.

I'm ok with this idea. Contact ThinkGeek; they'll get right on it.

But, no. The fact that it's recognizable is about all I care about. My phone is far too ancient (and my will to get a new one far too low) to support playing the remastered tracks.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll either be getting New Super Mario Bros. or Samurai Warriors Chronicles. I'm not sold on any of Nintendo's offerings, the SFIV ad unsold it for me, and I'm not interested in racing, football, or soccer, or The Sims.

When OoT comes out though...

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On a side note, just heard some info that the PSP2 will have two versions, one with 3G one without, and the prices (apparently) are gonna be 250/350. Not sure how real those numbers are, but if they managed to get it to match the 3DS, this will get interesting.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On a side note, just heard some info that the PSP2 will have two versions, one with 3G one without, and the prices (apparently) are gonna be 250/350. Not sure how real those numbers are, but if they managed to get it to match the 3DS, this will get interesting.

Just to clarify, the rumor comes from a survey conducted by Ubisoft that tells you it's $250 and asks, "would you purchase the NGP, now that you know its retail price?" And it goes on to ask whether you'd buy the 3G version for $350.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really, if the NGP would just announce a price/release date before the 3DS launch, I'd probably hold off on one for sure. But as it is, I just don't trust Sony not to fuck it up.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    virtual boy #2 eh?

600full-nintendo-virtual-boy-cover.jpg

I'm actually really hoping they make a 3DS cartridge with a collection of Virtual Boy games.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Just to clarify, the rumor comes from a survey conducted by Ubisoft that tells you it's $250 and asks, "would you purchase the NGP, now that you know its retail price?" And it goes on to ask whether you'd buy the 3G version for $350.

Not sure if I'd feel compelled to get an NGP over a 3DS even at the same pricepoint. In my eyes they both suffer from the exact same problem, no games worth owning on the system.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Not sure if I'd feel compelled to get an NGP over a 3DS even at the same pricepoint. In my eyes they both suffer from the exact same problem, no games worth owning on the system.

Advantage goes to NGP there, simply due to the fact that it'll have access to PSN games. And if they can patch some of the PS3-exclusive ones to work on the system, it'd be an insta-buy for me.

Being able to play Shatter or Thongs of Virtue or Flower on a portable would be the best thing ever.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I had to choose between the 3DS and the NGP at $250, I'd still choose the 3DS, but it would certainly make it seem overpriced.

That's why I think if Sony knew, with 100% certainty, that the NGP was going to be $250, they'd want to announce it soon. Make as many people as possible re-think their 3DS purchase, right?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Personally I think it's just Ubi judging the market - if everyone says they'll buy it for $250 and it comes out at $400, they won't put as much effort into supporting it. But who knows!

I just don't think Sony would tell developers how much it's going to cost this early before telling the public. If they knew it'd be $250 now, they'd tell it to the world prior to 3DS launch. "Wait, everybody! Save those dollars for us!"

My guess is $300 with $350 or $400 for the high end model. $250/$350 just seems strange; it'd surely be a loss on the hardware, but then you charge $100 for the 3G to recoup some of the cost on the data plan?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I had to choose between the 3DS and the NGP at $250, I'd still choose the 3DS, but it would certainly make it seem overpriced.

That's why I think if Sony knew, with 100% certainty, that the NGP was going to be $250, they'd want to announce it soon. Make as many people as possible re-think their 3DS purchase, right?

Not really, announcing the price point that far in advance would give Nintendo the opportunity to make a counter-strategy. First of all, the price of the 3DS probably could be dropped. Second of all, even if they didn't want to drop the price, they could start bundling it with Mario Kart or another piece of 1st party software at the same price to make it more attractive.

Cheap or expensive, Sony has every reason to hold back on announcing the price of the NGP.

EDIT: Look at it from Nintendo's perspective. If they knew in January that the NGP was coming to the market at $250, do you think they would have tried to sell the 3DS at the same price, or have attempted to find a way to undercut Sony?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maybe Sony wouldn't assume this, but Nintendo would never drop the 3DS's price that quickly. They might have a nice bundle by the time NGP releases but I think even that would be a long shot. They just aren't reactionary like other companies are.

Sony and Microsoft scramble to get motion control into their systems, while Nintendo lazily glances over at Live and PSN and says "eh."

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In my eyes they both suffer from the exact same problem, no games worth owning on the system.

You must have rather shitty eyesight then. The likes of Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, and Naughty Dog have already presented some really good offerings.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    UncleSporky, that's a good point, didn't know it was Ubisoft. I'll bet they are seeing how much intrest there is, and I'll bet the price point is gonna be the higher one. There's just no way they can sell the PSP2 for 250 with all that tech unless they're taking an UNGODLY loss for every single one. And they may, they might be depending on PSN games to make up any kind of margin, but if it's selling at a $100 loss or more, that's gonna be tricky.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Really, if the NGP would just announce a price/release date before the 3DS launch, I'd probably hold off on one for sure. But as it is, I just don't trust Sony not to fuck it up.

If the NGP price is <$300, Sony will likely announce a price in the days/same week as the 3DS release to deflate some of the momentum.

Goodfella2487 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    In my eyes they both suffer from the exact same problem, no games worth owning on the system.

You must have rather shitty eyesight then. The likes of Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, and Naughty Dog have already presented some really good offerings.

Yeah. The NGP is what's seriously making me consider canceling my 3DS pre-order. I mean, I'm going to have to pick one up--there's just no way I will miss out on an Uncharted game, so long as it is even remotely decent.

InkSplat on