As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Parks & Recreation]: And so we come to the end of all things.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Yeah, I kind of agree. I love Parks and Rec, but I'd rather see it wrap up while it's still pretty good than overstay its welcome and drift into 'later seasons of The Office' territory. It hasn't gone that far yet, and I would rather not see it get there.

• Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    angry guy cracks me up. i think hes hilarious

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I still like P&R, but yeah, the new cast members, meh. The overly angry emphasizes certain words janky eye guy is just plain awful.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The thing with P&R is that everyone in the old main cast are people I would want to be friends with. I would not want to be friends with Angry Guy. Who wants to be friends with a guy who's angry and yelling all the time?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Angry guy is way too one-note. Like, every time he shows up, you can accurately guess that he's going to be angry about something and be super loud about it. It's pretty grating.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yeah his characteristic list is this:

Main Characteristic
    Over the top, intensely upset and loud

Secondary Characteristic
    About things nobody cares about

Not exactly A material.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Officially renewed. No word on episode count or if it's being considered the final season.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Best line delivery: "Jerry is really nice, and I don't care who knows that I said that so long as no one knows that I said that."

Funniest moment: Andy tossing the magazine into the fish tank.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Magazine flip was awesome, but I nearly died with the peanut brittle slap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Oh right, because calories

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    "Oh right, calories."

• Options
    So are people still watching this show? Because it's still going on. And it's still awesome.

You know how sitcoms usually try to maintain the status quo so desperately that they keep pushing characters to keep the same traits and amplify them to stay "fresh" until they become one-dimensional caricatures of their original personae? This show is the opposite: characters change. Last week's episode make it obvious just how much Ron has changed since the show started.

sig.gif
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's just really steady, so I don't have a lot to say about it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It took a bit but the show has gotten its voice back after Chris and Ann left.

Also Pikitis!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think this week's reveal is a little wacky, and that the show has deflated a little over the last season, but it's still one if my favorites and isn't suffering from age nearly as much as The Office or HIMYM by this point in its life cycle.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Eh. For Leslie who does the work of three people on a bad day its thematically appropriate.

• Options
    Parks and Rec still has its charm and humor. It's not always the funniest thing on, but it's just different enough from the other shows I watch and most of the characters are good enough that I still enjoy watching it a great deal. I really like the little stuff like Ron and Donna helping each other out and what not.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Eh. For Leslie who does the work of three people on a bad day its thematically appropriate.

Heh you've got a point there

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The most recent episode was pretty great. I couldn't stop laughing at April's desperate attempts to do something nice for Larry despite her great (and mostly irrational) dislike for him. And then her "I will GET YOU for this," look at Andy once she discovered the lie was just killer.

Meanwhile Ben's having one of his all-time great freakouts. "The computer laughed at me!"

• Options
    What do we do? What do wedo? How do we ... How, how, how, how do ... HOW ... WHAT DO WE DO?

• Options
    Andy in camo in the conference room to hide from April was brilliant on so many levels.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Those of you still holding out hope for the triumphant return of Mark Brendanawicz? Got some bad news for you.

• Options
    I am extremely happy to know that character will not return to P&R.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Those of you still holding out hope for the triumphant return of Mark Brendanawicz? Got some bad news for you.

I'm pretty sure that dude likes the smell of his own farts.

• Options
    I watch Frontline.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    ...mark who?

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    So I missed the beginning... what exactly happened? Why was there a time jump?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Why was there a time jump?
    So they can have the National Parks in Pawnee concept up and running for next season without having to spend time with set up, and to spare the audience from a Leslie pregnant/giving birth plot.

I'm glad they actually had Leslie take the job, even with the slight cheat of them just bringing the job to Pawnee.

EDIT: Michael Schur interview about the season finale (spoilers, naturally).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    ...mark who?

I like the idea that Mark ceased to exist once nobody was looking at him

• Options
    edited April 2014
    So a good season finale, and a guarantee that Mark is never coming back? This is a fantastic day for Parks and Rec.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Has Ben ever actually played his own game other than the time he was teaching it to the accountants?

• Options
    Does anyone have a gif of. Barney the accountant from this episode?

you know the part I mean

• Options
    But seriously guys.

I watch Frontline.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    That episode was just amazing. I almost wondered if we were watching a surprise series finale. I would have been ok with that.

Bringing the Chicago job to the Pawnee office was an obvious copout, but I'll forgive them.

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    That episode was just amazing. I almost wondered if we were watching a surprise series finale. I would have been ok with that.

Bringing the Chicago job to the Pawnee office was an obvious copout, but I'll forgive them.

I wanna say called this but cant find the post.

Drat

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    You did, it was in SE, I remember reading it and thinking "yeah, that's totally what's gonna happen"

• Options
    What a great season finale. Some of my favorite bits:
    -Leslie's near total lack of composure as she met Michelle Obama
    -Her insane laughter afterwards
    -The INTENSE game of Cones which handily beats True American as the least understandable made up game in recent TV
    -Larry's incredible dog anus mistake. We may have hit prime Larry
    -Tons of the April x Andy interplay "Hey babe, how about you and me go to the ball pit where we can... find your phone that I lost in there."
    -Leslie TAKING THE JOB thank God. It basically would have ruined the entire show if she hadn't
    -Hologram Little Sebastian with Ben just being like "What the fuck is wrong with this place"
    -Time skip past pregnancy
    -Hamm sighted!

And because they avoided the biggest late-in-life show deathtrap yet seen, I can actually look forward to another year of the show. Yay!

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Letters to Cleo lead singer

*medium clap*

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    http://www.vulture.com/2013/12/cones-of-dunshire-parks-and-recreation-game-oral-history.html
    Dontanville: I guess the game is playable right now … but do you mean “good?” Honestly, we could probably bust out a set of rules in, like, three nights.

Charlton: I mean, if we talked about the ideas we have for the game, we’d be just like Ben was on the show.

Fenlon: We’ll have a game by August of next year, for sure. It was never our plan, and it is not now our plan, to make a commercial version of Cones of Dunshire. But there will definitely be a staging of Cones of Dunshire next summer at GenCon in Indianapolis, which is the biggest game show in the United States. It will be big and festive and probably for charity. It’s our hope for the Parks & Rec guys to be there, for Ben to play his own game.

Scott: That would be amazing. I want to be on the box.

Sackett: Our intention on Parks and Recreation is that somehow Cones of Dunshire is going to come back around.

King: I mean, let’s put it this way: It ended up in the hands of those accountants, who will hopefully spread the Word of Cone as much as Ben would.

• Options
    I liked it. I thought it would've worked as a series finale, but also works well as a season finale. Doing the time skip lets them not do any episodes about the logistics of having Leslie set up the national park services office in Pawnee, and it also lets us skip any "RAISING TRIPLET BABIES IS SO HARD WE'RE SO TIRED" episode arcs.

All in all good stuff, and as soon as Ben showed Leslie the thing about how her name would be on the thing and she should definitely take the job I knew right where they were going for sure. After that, they couldn't have her back out and be all "Not taking the job after all." The only logical conclusion was to have her figure out a way to stay in Pawnee but take the job, because the showrunners aren't dumb enough to think having her and Ben in Chicago and everybody else in Pawnee going back and forth would be anything but a trainwreck.