As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Parks & Recreation]: And so we come to the end of all things.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    This show is awesome and everyone in this thread saying it isn't awesome totally sucks.

I submit that anyone who is unmoved by April and Andy's relationship is not in possession of a soul.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Behemoth wrote: »
    This show is awesome and everyone in this thread saying it isn't awesome totally sucks.

I hated it the first season, but finally gave in and watched season two...and ended up going through the whole season 2 and season 3 so far in the span of a few days.

I still can't figure out what exactly changed between s1 and s2, but something did, and it fucking works.

It stopped trying to be The Office: Government Edition.

I think part of the difference was character-wise, especially a) making Leslie her own character instead of a female Michael Scott, and b) making Andy a lovable goof instead of a lazy slob mooching off Ann.

The other part was making the tone of the show more positive. In the beginning when the lot project was starting, the running theme seemed to be that the department was pathetic and never really accomplished anything useful. But as Leslie changed to become hyper-competent, the department became an overlooked but vital part of the community, one of the few parts of Pawnee's government that actually got things done and improved people's lives.

Cantide on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cantide wrote: »

I hated it the first season, but finally gave in and watched season two...and ended up going through the whole season 2 and season 3 so far in the span of a few days.

I still can't figure out what exactly changed between s1 and s2, but something did, and it fucking works.

I think part of the difference was character-wise, especially a) making Leslie her own character instead of a female Michael Scott, and b) making Andy a lovable goof instead of a lazy slob mooching off Ann.

The other part was making the tone of the show more positive. In the beginning when the lot project was starting, the running theme seemed to be that the department was pathetic and never really accomplished anything useful. But as Leslie changed to become hyper-competent, the department became an overlooked but vital part of the community, one of the few parts of Pawnee's government that actually got things done and improved people's lives.

Edit: I was eating dinner, you beat me to the punch!

The show also dumped mean spirited sarcasm and cynicism. It's like the writers listened to Conan O'Brian's exit speech on his last Tonight Show, took it to heart, and started to write a show overflowing with good nature, hope and celebration of doing your job to the best of your abilities. The exact opposite traits of most sitcoms.

I think it has to do with the character of Mark Brendanawicz being put on the bus and sent off.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    but mark was there all throughout season 2 and season 2 was entertaining

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    useless4 wrote: »

Edit: I was eating dinner, you beat me to the punch!

The show also dumped mean spirited sarcasm and cynicism. It's like the writers listened to Conan O'Brian's exit speech on his last Tonight Show, took it to heart, and started to write a show overflowing with good nature, hope and celebration of doing your job to the best of your abilities. The exact opposite traits of most sitcoms.

I think it has to do with the character of Mark Brendanawicz being put on the bus and sent off.

Which didn't happen until way after the show had hit its stride, there's only like ten episodes he's not in. Not even in the sense of him being written to a lesser role.

Never got the hate on him, he was not a big problem when the show was good, he sucked when it sucked because the show sucked.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I didn't mind Mark, but I think it's telling that I didn't even remember or notice that he was gone until I read something online about it after we were already well into this season.

Cantide on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I didn't mind Mark, but I think it's telling that I didn't even remember or notice that he was gone until I read something online about it after we were already well into this season.

I wouldn't say I was a huge fan either, but his presence wasn't always a drag or boring to me like some people make it out to be. Him being the Only Sane Man was a bad idea, and tainted the character a little from the get go, but when they stopped emphasizing that I didn't notice him as a huge negative or even bad at all. Some moments like him trying to help Ron with getting his shop up to code are as funny as anything on the show.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DHS wrote: »

I wouldn't say I was a huge fan either, but his presence wasn't always a drag or boring to me like some people make it out to be. Him being the Only Sane Man was a bad idea, and tainted the character a little from the get go, but when they stopped emphasizing that I didn't notice him as a huge negative or even bad at all. Some moments like him trying to help Ron with getting his shop up to code are as funny as anything on the show.

I guess I like Ben's "fish out of water with baggage" character better.

For example his reaction to Lil' Sebastian was great, as was throwing the cologne into the guy's car. You wouldn't get that with Mark.

Plus the Ben character just works better with Leslie's. The character of Mark just came off as a date rapist asshole to me for some reason.

What's weird with this show is the more over the top they try to make Ron Swanson and Tom the more grounded I think they become. And they finally found the right balance with April and make better use of Ann.

useless4 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DHS wrote: »

I guess I like Ben's "fish out of water with baggage" character better.

For example his reaction to Lil' Sebastian was great, as was throwing the cologne into the guy's car. You wouldn't get that with Mark.

Plus the Ben character just works better with Leslie's. The character of Mark just came off as a date rapist asshole to me for some reason.

What's weird with this show is the more over the top they try to make Ron Swanson and Tom the more grounded I think they become. And they finally found the right balance with April and make better use of Ann.

I agree with you about all of this except Ann.

It feels like they don't really know what to do with her this season because of Leslie's growth and newfound confidence. Ann served as a really good foil for Leslie early on but now is kind of stumbling and trying on different personalities and it feels like the writers need to sit down and figure out what to do with her.

Andy has grown as a character immensely since the beginning, but Ann is just treading water and it's starting to show. Other than the Flu episode she hasn't really done anything in quite a while.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mark was just kinda...there. He didn't offend me or drag the show down, but I never actively thought anything else positive or negative about him either. The only plotline involving him I can remember is the woodshop storyline that DHS mentioned, and that he dated Ann (I...think. I don't remember anything specific about them dating).

Ben is pretty much Mark after the writers learned that a "outside the crazy group looking in" character only works if you give him a personality, issues, and characteristics besides "he's not like them".

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Not only does this thing exist..."

I love this show so much.

Also:
    "Andy and April are getting married."
    "Wow, my Britta filter is older than their relationship. Wait... should I change my Britta filter?"
    That line nearly killed me.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depends on how much you use it.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I loved how much Chris scared the creepy emo kid through sheer interest and positivity.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Whaa? Where do you get this specifically?

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Season 2 DVD release is on sale this week at Target for $9.99 (both instore and online, though the shipping date is 4-6 weeks right now).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I submit that this show became amazing for three reasons.

1) They turned Leslie from Season 1 Michael Scott (incredibly unlikeable and uninteresting and incompetent) to later seasons of Michael Scott (loveable and cute and regularly does great things).

2) They got rid of Mark, whose job apparently was to make fun of everyone else for being kooky because he was the only normal guy.

3) Ron fucking Swanson. They let the Swanson loose and it is amazing.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't think Leslie shifted from one form of Michael Scott to another - I think they've almost completely left the comparison behind. At this point she's smarter and more competent then Michael; her biggest problem being that she's at times a bit overly optimistic and naive about what she/the government can do and to the public's response. Also, the people around her are more genuinely her friends than the people Michael works with.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Leslie's definitely hyper-competent in a way Michael Scott never has been. There's been quite a few episodes where they've shown just how hard she works and how things fall apart without her around. She's also become a bit less naive, like in season one in the one episode with the mannish hairdo, I feel like season two Leslie wouldn't be quite that oblivious. She definitely handled her relationship with Officer Louis C.K. way better than she handled her weird crush on Mark in season one.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Still got it, Joe

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh my god the Grain N Simple

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    AAHHH

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Douchevestigation

Do you want to talk outside my van

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I said one thing

PINWHEEL

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I swear on this dead crow that I will never cook for you

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tom N Haverford is a nerd

his favorite movie is books!

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn, that episode made me want a burger.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rob Lowe continues to play the straight man to ... everybody and he's great at it! How can this show be so fucking funny week after week? I love NBC Thursdays!

hanskey on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck you Ann!

I call noodles "long-ass rice".

Man, now I want to make up random names for stuff, too.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    screenshot20110422at733.png

s7apster on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hanskey wrote: »
    Rob Lowe continues to play the straight man to ... everybody and he's great at it! How can this show be so fucking funny week after week? I love NBC Thursdays!

I know. It really bothers me that NBC can have 4-ish (for those who don't like Office or 30 Rock or whatever) shows that are consistently funny, yet they're apparently generally on the low end of the basic network ratings.

I don't understand it at all.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ron Swanson is at his absolute best when they have him interacting with food. I honestly cannot think of a better character on TV nowadays.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ron Swanson vs. Rob Lowe is becoming my favourite part of this show. Just how they clash. It's amazing each time.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This was the most amazing episode.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is a hamburger. It is made of meat, and served on a bun with nothing. You may add ketchup if you wish.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Ron Swanson "Turkey Burger" now exists. Consider your heart warned.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I celebrate everything Ron Swanson.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXhJPey3i_A&feature=related

"I'm just making sure no one ever has to eat this." That line just killed me.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fantastic episode. April and Andy are the best foil to Ben.

I'll watch it again just for the Ron Swanson art opening speech.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There was so little Ron Swanson in this episode, but what we got was SO GOOD. Also, super confident Leslie is a very good Leslie.

End of post.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought Andy and April's lifestyle was a little outrageous, but then I looked around my room and noticed Empty Beer Carton Mountain in the corner near Plateau de Dirty Laundry.

I need Ben Wyatt to teach me how to be an adult.

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/