As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick newegg.com question

WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Almighty, so I just pre-ordered an item over on newegg.com

Kinda had to do it asap cause its a very limited quantity type kinda deal. Only problem is I don't have any $$$ on the credit card I used.

Now the product doesn't come out until march, so my question is this, does newegg immediately charge you for pre-order items or does it charge you when they get them in stock (like most online stores).

I only ask because newegg is very unclear about such things. I searched all over the place for a clear answer and only found some very unclear answers via sites like yahoo answers and whatnot.

If you have any experience with newegg and could chuck an answer my why I will love you forever and ever and ever and ever!

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
Wishpig on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Back in the day, when I preordered Windows 7, they didn't charge it until they were shipping.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I also have pre-ordered an amp and a router from Newegg and I was not charged until it was shipped.

You said you didn't have any money on the credit card? Are you confusing debit card with credit card? If you have to have money to cover it - that's a debit card, if not, that's a credit card and you could just float the balance regardless.

If it's a debit card, that depends on lender to lender. My credit union from the Mayo Clinic lets me float charges until the next statement without interest or penalty - as opposed to my Bank of America card that slams me the second I go over my limit.

Which were you referring to?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I also have pre-ordered an amp and a router from Newegg and I was not charged until it was shipped.

You said you didn't have any money on the credit card? Are you confusing debit card with credit card? If you have to have money to cover it - that's a debit card, if not, that's a credit card and you could just float the balance regardless.

If it's a debit card, that depends on lender to lender. My credit union from the Mayo Clinic lets me float charges until the next statement without interest or penalty - as opposed to my Bank of America card that slams me the second I go over my limit.

sounds like he is up against his credit limit.

useless4 on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    useless4 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

sounds like he is up against his credit limit.

Lol, it's a credit/debit card. Not quite sure how it's different from just a pure debit card... but they call it a credit/debit. So, I sometimes call it just a credit card by mistake. But yeah, I use it mainly as a debit card, so while I have no $$$ on it now, I will very soon. Far sooner than the item is actually coming out!

Anyways, thanks for the answers guys!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In my experience, Newegg does not charge you for pre-ordered items until they are ready to ship.

When the item comes in and your name comes up in the list of preorders, they will attempt to charge your card. Be sure you have sufficient funds/credit limit availability when that time comes, and they will charge your card then and ship it if your card goes through.

Of course, if you wanted assurance, you could just send an e-mail to their customer service department; they are always impeccable about returning customer inquiries in a timely manner.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    harry.timbershaftharry.timbershaft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Almighty, so I just pre-ordered an item over on newegg.com

You can just call us "H/A forum" or "the forum".

harry.timbershaft on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Credit/debit is just a debit card that stores can run as a credit card. It does nothing to build credit and you don't get sent a bill as you would with a credit card, its just a debit card.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!