As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sweet [Periodicals]

CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract MetalThingyRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Lets talk about periodicals. The good ones the bad ones and why they fall into these categories. What do you read and why does it stand out to you above others.

The liberal:
Mother Jones
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM2ILTvSkD9P76i70hBNGkvYUqNkINORLu63M-w-DrTdkuRV7q

Harper's
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_pQEYApuEw01vbI4ZVZUNwsmPeJdvmjdW0Pj0U8gE05uCuEBV

NY Times
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQX9HfSmN0DB9ity09ohNtFAfy2hITQ9L4zdxUF7Zyb5VpwnNja
The conservative:
The Republic
issue14cover.jpg

Wall Street Journal
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3n8yTT6ajBbJULfnciouP4DRPFzbiNf1VwbNDgE7dF3PmaHopZg
in between?:
The Economist
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwxVohO_lQhc08Mod3YRsCpFhK5xnuSNezcCUZRcQOb_YQTo7oqQ
and the horrible:
Time
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThIjHapbxXeNDD8puLz_Vfp2n9c3kGaZV_5q6QkFJYvfEK1Gir

Newsweek
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc5K0wjJYkY_VIocHrZUjjwIf8YR9Q6Y1bbz1Yy3iO8bMaFGujmA

Personally I read a lot of the NYT, Washington Post for daily consumption and Harper's and Mother Jones for monthly magazines. I've been looking for other interesting liberal magazine and wondering if you guys had any favorites?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
CommunistCow on

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    but newsweek has George F. Will, how could you dislike it!?!

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CommunistCow on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I read The Economist.. when I can afford it.

I have free online access but reading news online is for the birds!

adytum on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also the best Economist article ever was the one back in the.. late 1800's (?) where they were bitching that the government was overstepping its bounds by building a sewer system in London.

Despite the fact that the Thames was where all the sewage was currently dumped, and it stunk up the whole city during warm days.

adytum on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Also the best Economist article ever was the one back in the.. late 1800's (?) where they were bitching that the government was overstepping its bounds by building a sewer system in London.

Despite the fact that the Thames was where all the sewage was currently dumped, and it stunk up the whole city during warm days.

The government's only proper place is taxing people, waging war, funding nobility and handing out corporate monopolies. How dare they build infrastructure!

Is the Wall Street Journal very social issues conservative or just economic conservative? Honestly I haven't read more then 2 articles they have even published.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is the Wall Street Journal very social issues conservative or just economic conservative? Honestly I haven't read more then 2 articles they have even published.

That depends on whether or not you want to pretend their op-ed page exists.

As to the OP, my list of stuff I read with varying degrees of regularity is:
    The Atlantic (Daily Dish/Andrew Sullivan, James Fallows, Ta-Nehisi Coates), The Economist, Ezra Klein, Fareed Zakaria, Kevin Drum, Paul Krugman, Atrios, Obsidian Wings, Reihan Salam, Daniel Larison, Glen Greenwald, The Daily Beast, Washington Monthly, Financial Times, Al Jazeera, PBS Newshour, BBC News, and also urban planning/design/architecture blogs and Chicago related stuff which isn't as applicable.

Also: Lapham's Quarterly is tits. Rude tits at that.

moniker on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A favorite of mine is the New York Review of Books. It's kind of a strange choice as a periodical, but you can learn about current events by reading reviews of books about current events (even if there's a bit of a lag time, obviously).

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The reporters are generally centrist/liberal, and the editors of the op-ed section are mostly economic conservatives (they have, for example, run multiple pieces on Palin's inanity, while the Washington Times had an op-ed the other day defending her as being more intelligent than Obama because Obama won't release his grades or IQ scores) and the outside opinion pieces vary on the social conservatism, with the occasional liberal column for variation, usually by a member of a Congress. The most prominent commentator on the pages is Peggy Noonan, who was Reagan's speechwriter and she is still deeply in love with him, although she is more reasonable than that description implies (she hates Palin, for example).

Coinage on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What do you guys think of the New Yorker? I haven't had much experience with it except that excellent article about medical care in McAllen Texas.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to second The Atlantic. I began reading it last year and I really enjoy most of the stuff they have. I do tend to stray away from anything op-ed though. I do not see why anyone likes Andrew Sullivan, but like I said I avoid almost everything op-ed.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What do you guys think of the New Yorker? I haven't had much experience with it except that excellent article about medical care in McAllen Texas.

The New Yorker is pretty excellent, asides from Malcum Gladwell's stuff (He's the king of obvious statements), and random other contributers. It has a story every week, has poetry, and the in-depthness of it is just so wonderful. That said, I rarely have time to read it so I'm probably cancelling my sub after this year.

I also really like: n+1, the new york review of books, the occasional Harpers, the Believer, and Mcsweeneys. Yeah, lot of lit stuff on there, but I really wish i had the time to sub to all of them and read them as they come in...

Alchemist449 on