As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enforcer Applications Now Being Accepted!

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited February 2011 in PAX Archive
From Gabe's post on the front page:
Gabe wrote:
PAX East is shaping up to be a huge show this year and it looks like we could use some more Enforcers. If you’d like to join a truly amazing group of volunteers you can find the application right here. Once you’ve filled it out go ahead and mail it to [email protected].
-Gabe out

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey this here is something I could be all about.

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
  • EasyTarget83EasyTarget83 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I am very interesting in volunteering as an enforcer.
    I have two questions.

Would you recommend a first timer to PAX be an enforcer?

Are their any benefits of being an enforcer?

EasyTarget83 on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am very interesting in volunteering as an enforcer.
    I have two questions.

Would you recommend a first timer to PAX be an enforcer?

Are their any benefits of being an enforcer?

To the first question, there is an arugment to be made for actually attending the show before volunteering. You get a feel for the event, the atmosphere, you get to do things on your own time and see the stuff that intrests you. That said, I know of a number of enforcers who joined up their first year straight out and wouldn't have done it any other way. I pseronally had two PAXs under my belt before I joined but I wasn't old enough to join those two years so that doesn't count :D. Ulitmately it's up to you.

To the second question, each enforcer get's a free pass to the show in exchange for a minimum of six hours of work each day of the show; you're only required to work the min each day, anything beyond that is up to you. After you work your six, you're free to (and in some cases encouraged to) explore the show when your off duty (just make sure you take off your enforcer shirt when you do, otherwise you might get wrangled into more fun work! ;D). There's also the abolutely increadible enforcer community that you get to become apart of when you join. It's like have the great big, geeky extended family that you never knew you had.

I've been attending PAX since 2005 and enforceing since 2007. I've been to almost every PAX Prime and PAX East and I can honestly say that there's nothing quite like being an Enforcer. That said, if this is your first time, maybe you go to East as an attendee and wait till PAX Prime to Enforce. As I said, it's ultimately up to you.

Hope that answers your question. :)

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • EasyTarget83EasyTarget83 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Yes, Quicksnap your answer was very helpful.

EasyTarget83 on
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd second what QS said that its a personal choice, but I'd also recommend attending at least one before enforcing.

-Copied from the FAQ-
    PAX was awesome! I want to see everything next year! Should I apply to be an Enforcer?
    - Even if an open call for Enforcers does happen, Enforcing means that you are likely to see less, not more, of PAX. When considering becoming an Enforcer it's very important to remember that you go from attending PAX for fun to attending PAX for work, and that has certain implications. Rule #2 of Enforcing is: PAX Is Not For Us - it's for Attendees. (Rule #1, of course, is 'Don't be a Dick'.) If you want to see the maximum number of things at PAX, you should consider returning as an Attendee instead of applying to be an Enforcer.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quicksnap and Beker nailed it. The only thing I would add is that I really don't think enforcers miss much depending on when and where they end up working their shifts so don't pass up an opportunity to apply unless there is something you absolutely can't miss.

North on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will mirror North's comment about not necessarily seeing less of PAX; rather, you experience another dimension of the expo. The behind-the-scenes, busy bee side that makes you feel proud for making happy memories and getting shit done.

Twinkie on
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd love to join, but as it's going to be my first PAX I'll hold off and experience it as an attendee first. I already have a kilt for when I do apply, though. ;-)

Durinthal on
  • RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not to discount what others have said here but, I don't think you would have a problem Enforcing your first PAX.

I Enforced East 2010 as my first and had an absolute blast. 6-hour shifts might sound like a lot but it really goes by quickly no matter what you are doing. The managers (your boss) are universally awesome dudes and can, within reason, accommodate you if there's something you want to go to (panel, event, etc) during your shift. Just about every job will expose you to a huge amount of people and a variety of events so you'll always be entertained and engaged even while working.

There's always the chance that you'll miss something because you have to work but I can promise you, the pros FAR outweigh the cons. Submit an application. If you get accepted but decide you don't want to go through with it, you can always buy a pass and go as an attendee.

RDubb on
  • B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I applied, but as soon as i hit send, i got really nervous. but it passed. i hope i get the chance to do it this year.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
    edited January 2011
    I applied, but as soon as i hit send, i got really nervous. but it passed. i hope i get the chance to do it this year.

Why did you get nervous?

RDubb on
  • BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any idea when we can expect word on if we have been accepted or not? Is this application the only thing that determines acceptance or will there be some communicating back and forth before plans are solidified?

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd imagine within a week or two. Application is it, next thing you hear should be a "yay" or "nay".

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was going to wait until i had a few more paxes under my belt, but Screw it. I applied! = D

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah. Definitely attend before you enforce. It's not that you couldn't do it. If you're a smart person and you're a hard worker, you've probably got what it takes to be an enforcer. I'm not doubting anyone's ability; rather, I'm suggesting that they go out, experience PAX from the attendee side, and then if they decide they want to go beyond that, enforce. I think aside from giving you the best of both words, you're also likely to be a better enforcer, having been on the attendee side of things and knowing where they're coming from.

That being said, congratulations and welcome to any of my new [E] family. :D

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Twinkie wrote: »
    I will mirror North's comment about not necessarily seeing less of PAX; rather, you experience another dimension of the expo. The behind-the-scenes, busy bee side that makes you feel proud for making happy memories and getting shit done.

Which shall henceforth be known as the E dimension!

Sent in my app, I got that standard paranoia of "did I enter the email correctly?" "What if the attachment went corrupt???" "What if I entered X thing wrong and they can't contact me?" "What if the world blew up and I'll never find out?"

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Twinkie wrote: »

Which shall henceforth be known as the E dimension!

Whereas Khoo's experience shall be known as the Q dimension.

Twinkie on
  • ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PAXeast 2010 was both my first Enforcer experience, and my first PAX experience. I'd like to chip in that I in no way felt like I was missing out on any part of the PAX experience. A six-hour shift each day spent making other people having a fucking fantastic time? Made my convention all the better.

The 'family and crew' aspect of being an Enforcer really made travelling out-of-state for the first time for a convention great.

Zuki on
  • B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MagnifiedX wrote: »
    Zuki wrote: »
    PAXeast 2010 was both my first Enforcer experience, and my first PAX experience. I'd like to chip in that I in no way felt like I was missing out on any part of the PAX experience. A six-hour shift each day spent making other people having a fucking fantastic time? Made my convention all the better.

The 'family and crew' aspect of being an Enforcer really made travelling out-of-state for the first time for a convention great.

And I can't wait to experience that myself, as this will be my second PAX but my first Enforcing. Can't wait to attend PAX from the other side.

same here, just got the email. prime 2010 was my first pax. i can't wait to get to boston this year.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
    edited February 2011

And I can't wait to experience that myself, as this will be my second PAX but my first Enforcing. Can't wait to attend PAX from the other side.

same here, just got the email. prime 2010 was my first pax. i can't wait to get to boston this year.

Everything listed above... got accepted too :3

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited February 2011

Everything listed above... got accepted too :3

Likewise. This will be my 2nd PAX, but I'm really excited to be contributing to what makes PAX so amazing. Plus I'm looking forward to becoming a part of the Enforcer Family = D

ChronoHawk on

ach.png
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I read the email on my way home last night, looks like I'll be Enforcing PAX East 2011 alongside you guys! My first PAX was Prime 2009 and I'm thrilled to be coming back to support the whole experience.

Arminas on
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be Enforcing as well, got the email last night when I got home.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • RuscoRusco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I enforced at East last year before attending any other PAX. I regret nothing.

As far as attending once or twice first it might just depend on the person.

Rusco on
  • ZwanzigZwanzig Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Would that mean that all the spots are filled if folks are already getting acceptance emails? Should my hopes be dashed?

First time applying, so curious if there is someplace I should be keeping an eye on.

Zwanzig on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zwanzig wrote: »
    First time applying, so curious if there is someplace I should be keeping an eye on.

Your inbox

whypick1 on
  • EkatEkat Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I got my acceptance last night, after submitting the application on Jan. 25th. I can't wait to see you all there! I've been to PAX before, but I'm excited to be an Enforcer this time!

Ekat on
  • ZwanzigZwanzig Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Zwanzig wrote: »

Your inbox

Ha, right. To clarify, I should have asked about some place on the forums I should watch.

Zwanzig on
  • NendaiNendai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, to anyone else who has also been accepted, have you received access to the forum yet? I'm worrying that since I sent in my photo as a reply to the same email, it might have been weeded out since it mentions applications.

Nendai on
    PAX East 2011
    Pokecrawl: Team Bulbasaur Group B|PAX Trading Cards!|PrePAX Dinner
    edited February 2011
    Nendai wrote: »
    Hey, to anyone else who has also been accepted, have you received access to the forum yet? I'm worrying that since I sent in my photo as a reply to the same email, it might have been weeded out since it mentions applications.

Patience maaaan, PA has a lotta shit going on right now and us nagging at them kinda makes it worse... it'll come eventually.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited February 2011
    That's why I was asking here instead of emailing her a second time :) Was just getting a little worried because of the 2/4 deadline.

Nendai on
    PAX East 2011
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had to turn down the position after Paul and Storm called out for assistance. I could help Paul and Storm AND be an Enforcer, but then I'd be Khoo.

And there can only be one Khoo.

DanUNG on
    edited February 2011
    DanUNG wrote: »
    I had to turn down the position after Paul and Storm called out for assistance. I could help Paul and Storm AND be an Enforcer, but then I'd be Khoo.

Not true. Dammit_Liz is one of Paul and Storm's lackeys and an Enforcer as well. She is definitely not Khoo.

whypick1 on
  • jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got an acceptance email to be an enforcer: I'm wondering what kind of photo they are looking for, an actual headshot like I'd do for a passport or just a clear picture of my face? The 'white background' requirement sounds more like the headshot/formal type request.

jacalata on

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
    edited February 2011
    It sounds more like a semi-formal kind. I'm guessing the white background is to not waste a ton of ink while printing the passes. And the clear photo is so probably so that you can't transfer your pass. Our [Six Flags Type] Park printed season passes in B&W with a low-res webcam. It was pretty easy to give that to your friend when you weren't going since it was pretty much just a two eyes and a few features.

Nendai on
    PAX East 2011
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jacalata wrote: »
    I got an acceptance email to be an enforcer: I'm wondering what kind of photo they are looking for, an actual headshot like I'd do for a passport or just a clear picture of my face? The 'white background' requirement sounds more like the headshot/formal type request.

Its a clear headshot from the neck up. With a white background like your wall. Off white/yellowish/cream/etc. It doesn't need to be a professional photograph. You could use your cell phone if it takes clear shots.

Rdr on
    edited February 2011
    I don't have any white walls so I half-assedly cut my face/head out of the picture and posted it in a blank picture.... haha

ChronoHawk on

ach.png
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    DanUNG wrote: »

Not true. Dammit_Liz is one of Paul and Storm's lackeys and an Enforcer as well. She is definitely not Khoo.

Well now I feel dumb. Excuse me while I stuff my face with sadness cookies.

DanUNG on
    edited February 2011
    ChronoHawk wrote: »
    I don't have any white walls so I half-assedly cut my face/head out of the picture and posted it in a blank picture.... haha

As long as the photo of you looks like a standard profile head-shot (eg drivers license photo), you'll be fine. They're not too picky on the quality of photo as long as it clearly identifies you and isn't obscene.

RDubb on
    edited February 2011
    RDubb wrote: »
    ChronoHawk wrote: »

As long as the photo of you looks like a standard profile head-shot (eg drivers license photo), you'll be fine. They're not too picky on the quality of photo as long as it clearly identifies you and isn't obscene.

Or could it be like BJ's, I'm taking your picture...
    You: "O--"
    *SNAP*
    Cashier: "Alright, here you go."
    You: D:

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻