As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tech question for the computer people

BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus PssssssssyyyyyyyyduckRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I asked about this on the MMO section since this is what it pertains to buuut nobody bothered giving me an answer. Basically I got a beta code to the mmo Rift from a friend, made an account, entered the beta key and awaited my invitation. Eventually get the invitation and am prompted to download the client. Its just a 120Mb beta installer so it doesn't take longer than 30 seconds, I open it up and am asked what language I prefer, choose English and off we go to the Install Wizard. About 3 seconds into the extraction process I get a 1152 error code - stating that something flubbed up during the extraction process. I'd quote it word for word but I'm at work. From what I've been reading, I'm under the impression that its a problem with my computer rather than the client. Any ideas?

BradicusMaximus on

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Er, have you tried downloading the installer again?

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Probably should've stated that, but yes. More times than I can count.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Firewall, possibly? Check that the installer isn't blocked. With that small of an installer for an MMO, it's really a downloader/install, so if it can't connect, it won't install.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'll be sure to try that when I get off. I also sent in a support ticket to the site. But since they're working out kinks with the servers and what not since beta just opened up again I might be waiting a while for a response.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Try deleting all the temp files in the temp folder.

Follow the steps to clear the temp folder:

· Click on the Start button and in the Search bar type in %temp% and hit ENTER.

· When the Temp folder opens up, press Cntrl + A and then press Delete

Also Download and Install the latest version of the Windows Installer. Download the file from the below link and Install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sadly none of that worked :[

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Try "running as administrator"

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Didn't work either. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm just gonna have a friend come over and transfer the entire client to my comp from his lappy after he gets off work.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hmm

do you have anti-virus software running?

if you do and you're still willing to try again, disable it or close it altogether and then try installing. Might work.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nah, I turned off all that crud after the 3rd or 4th try.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    randerson84randerson84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would suggest going to the rift beta forums if you can.

Other people may have had the same issue and may have already found a solution.

randerson84 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lol funny story about that. I blame it on the beta event but the forums have been acting so wonkey, they're getting hammered to hell and back. I'm truly amazed I was able to submit a ticket.

BradicusMaximus on