As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BUTTERIAN APPRECIATION STATION!

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    that shepard looks like Seth Green

I'm not seeing it

Also I'm not getting the reference in that painting

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    why is mordin like 7 foot

most salarians are short

Nuzak on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FlatEric wrote: »

I'm not seeing it

Backfu2.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I love Mordin. Especially his loyalty mission. Really tugged at the heart strings.

Plus, getting to blow up a gas tank under a krogan while he's giving a monologue. Even paragon Shepherd isn't going to waste that opportunity.

It does feel kinda harsh when you start arguing and throwing Mordin's explanations and reasoning back in his face in a 'tough love' sort of way.

You don't argue with Mordin.

You remind him he's right. Because he is, and the paragon options are the asshole ones there.

Mordin's mission is one of the few times renegade is the nice guy button.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm not seeing it

Backfu2.jpg[IMG][/img]

I'm ashamed I missed that

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love Mordin. Especially his loyalty mission. Really tugged at the heart strings.

Plus, getting to blow up a gas tank under a krogan while he's giving a monologue. Even paragon Shepherd isn't going to waste that opportunity.

Mordin is one of the best characters in video games.

sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

It does feel kinda harsh when you start arguing and throwing Mordin's explanations and reasoning back in his face in a 'tough love' sort of way.

You don't argue with Mordin.

You remind him he's right. Because he is, and the paragon options are the asshole ones there.

Mordin's mission is one of the few times renegade is the nice guy button.

Booooring.

Much more interesting to play devil's advocate.

sarukun on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    maybe its because i listened to all of the krogan sob stories before I did the mission, but I totally thought mordin was in the wrong.

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's kind of a really well written shade of grey I think

The Salarians found the Krogan and unleashed them on the Rachnii

but then when the Rachnii were gone, the Krogan were able to breed and thrive away from their oppressive planet and their aggressive nature meant that in large numbers they were a huge threat to society

it's like when old timey settlers would solve short term pest problems by introducing non-native species, but surprise, the introduced solution turns out to be a bigger problem than ever

Tuchanka was such a fucked up, violent, cut-throat place, that only a certain amount of Krogan could survive there. By taking them away from Tuchanka, but then introducing the Genophage, the Salarians basically levelled out the population.

But on the flip-side, the Krogans are sentient, and not rabbits or toads and when thousands of infants are still-born, the Krogan mourn them.

Not right, not wrong.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    maybe instead of having the genophage make 99.99% births fail, maybe they could make it a nicer number, like 75

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    actually its wrong, gj space hitler

white

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    "hey uh mordin you know that data we saved in tuchanka?"

"yes? what about it?"

"maybe uh. maybe uh we can do something with it? make the genophage less extreme?"

"not now"

"well uh maybe later?"

"not now, shepard"

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    genophage just reduces the krogan birth rate artificially to how it was before they were uplifted
    entirely sustainable
    if the krogan weren't an incredibly warlike culture that would rather fight and die than sit down and be constructive and make some babies

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    genophage just reduces the krogan birth rate artificially to how it was before they were uplifted
    entirely sustainable
    if the krogan weren't an incredibly warlike culture that would rather fight and die than sit down and be constructive and make some babies

i dont think their family situations were as fucked though
    remember the dude who thought he had a kid but he can pretty much never see him because he's in another camp?
    and how segregated their society is due to the value of females?

also I think the genophage was cured like, 3 times by now, it's just that we keep fucking it up

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Krogan master race

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    After Legion I am more sympathetic towards the Geth now

Seriously just give me plenty more Legion in ME3 and I will be a happy man for my remaining years.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    have any of you listened to that krogan's entire rant

i usually give up and shoot him when he starts talking about how he's going to eat salarian eggs or some shit

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

i usually give up and shoot him when he starts talking about how he's going to eat salarian eggs or some shit

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have

he goes on a really long time

there are like five renegade interrupts

your squadmates start looking at you funny
    the guy repeats himself
    the game really starts to wonder why you aren't just pulling that trigger

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    entirely sustainable

i dont think their family situations were as fucked though
    remember the dude who thought he had a kid but he can pretty much never see him because he's in another camp?
    and how segregated their society is due to the value of females?

also I think the genophage was cured like, 3 times by now, it's just that we keep fucking it up
    I dunno about the other guy but I liked hearing from Mordin's 'kidnapped' assistant that Wrex didn't want to have anything to do with the experiments. I'd like to think that it's not just much how messed up they'd be but also him realizing that it'd be a bad time to undo the genophage as it'd undo his work as well.

I have. It made it much more fun when I shot him down to his health bar and zapped him with a Singularity. Not going to do much eating now with that big mouth of his flying in circles with the rest of him.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shepard likes to hear all sides of an argument before killing the opposing side.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    maybe instead of having the genophage make 99.99% births fail, maybe they could make it a nicer number, like 75

Then Krogan would overwhelm the galaxy.

Number was picked for a reason.

Look at the current Krogan culture. At best, it's a fragile move towards not being assholes to people who don't have it coming. This still includes murdering outsiders who get nosy.

Know what that's based on?

Urdnot Wrex being able to honestly say "My way, or we're fucked."

Cure shows up, Krogans won't need Wrex. He might keep a decent core, but he's back to being a voice in the wilderness, hordes show back up, and lord love a duck, either the Turians go "Holy FUCK!" and bomb them back to the stone age (again), or the Krogan start spreading again and we get another fun round of Krogan Rebellions, the home game.

Mordin's a smart guy, and he was working with other very smart guys. All of them but Maelon (who isn't exactly stable) went, basically "Well, this ain't a good option, but it's the best one we have."

Leave things alone, Wrex stays boss, Krogan settle down just enough to go back to get new terms from the Council (Probably as heroes if the Reaper thing shakes out right) and maybe, with a lot of hatred from both sides, get back to where they were when the mess started, without the whole pending war, and they got tankbreds if they need to get back up to speed.

Shake it up, and things snowball.

And I let the whole rant go.

Once. Ultra paragon run.

Every other time, his mouth opens, it gets lit on fire.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Leave things alone, Wrex stays boss, Krogan settle down just enough to go back to get new terms from the Council (Probably as heroes if the Reaper thing shakes out right) and maybe, with a lot of hatred from both sides, get back to where they were when the mess started, without the whole pending war, and they got tankbreds if they need to get back up to speed.

That's pretty much how I saw it.
    That's why I had Mordin keep the cure-research data. I know Wrex will need it someday.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

That's why I had Mordin keep the cure-research data. I know Wrex will need it someday.
    Burnt it. If anyone finds out it exists, well, Shepard has been in the middle of enough of them to know the meaning of the phrase political shitstorm. It applies here. Also, as much as the Krogan would be loathe to admit it, the modified rate is much better for the galaxy as a whole. Including them. Thousands born means faster resource consumption, faster spread, and a hell of a lot of trouble. Might be a slightly increased rate would be fine, but knowing the Krogan? It would piss them off more. The bit that rankles is alien tampering as much as anything, and getting the noose slightly loosened for good behavior looks like an insult.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Burnt it. If anyone finds out it exists, well, Shepard has been in the middle of enough of them to know the meaning of the phrase political shitstorm. It applies here. Also, as much as the Krogan would be loathe to admit it, the modified rate is much better for the galaxy as a whole. Including them. Thousands born means faster resource consumption, faster spread, and a hell of a lot of trouble. Might be a slightly increased rate would be fine, but knowing the Krogan? It would piss them off more. The bit that rankles is alien tampering as much as anything, and getting the noose slightly loosened for good behavior looks like an insult.
    Understandable. I like to present this as a rebuttal as well as one of my biggest reasons to keep the data.

me2deadkroganfemale.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Understandable. I like to present this as a rebuttal as well as one of my biggest reasons to keep the data.

me2deadkroganfemale.jpg

I know.
    Like the man said

"Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses."

He's right about that. But somebody has to. In the end, there are a lot of situations that end in agony for a lot of people. Hard to figure out the best choice, harder to see it through, but if you don't, everything gets even worse.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This is why I'm happy to stay firmly in the grey

Sure krogans would fuck it up for everybody if the genophage was reversed

But they're sentient creatures.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I kept the data. Anything that could help a cure along shouldn't be simply discarded.

The implementation of the genophage is what bothers me the most. At a risk of sounding cliched, there has to be a better way.

I'm hoping that the issue of the genophage and the fate of the krogan is some part of a sidquest chain you can pursue in ME3. I'd like to see something similar for the quarians/geth too.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd like to see something similar for the quarians/geth too.
    I'm sure Shepard will have to deal with Admiral Daro'Xen vas Insano before the Migrant Fleet and the True Geth will be able to patch up anything.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

And if anyone finds out it existed, and doesn't now, that's not going to be a political shitstorm?

No, this one I'm leaving up to Wrex, my [strike]black[/strike] krogan friend. He seems to have a handle on things, and as pointed out earlier, for him to unite the krogan, the genophage needs to stay in place for the time being. I don't want to even imagine what his reaction would be to finding out I'd destroyed the research data that could save his people when they're ready to be saved.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Framling wrote: »

And if anyone finds out it existed, and doesn't now, that's not going to be a political shitstorm?

No, this one I'm leaving up to Wrex, my [strike]black[/strike] krogan friend. He seems to have a handle on things, and as pointed out earlier, for him to unite the krogan, the genophage needs to stay in place for the time being. I don't want to even imagine what his reaction would be to finding out I'd destroyed the research data that could save his people when they're ready to be saved.
    Yeah. I couldn't stand the idea of Wrex knowing I threw away a chance to maybe help his dudes. And maybe if/when they and the galaxy are ready for them to increase in population again, it would be good for a salarian to say "Here's the work we've done so far on a cure.". Kind of shows that the intention all along wasn't just to totally fuck the krogan up forever, that there was always an idea of fixing it.

I love this whole discussion, and how hard it is to feel good about any of the options (unless you're a krogan hater, I guess). Despite all the weird creepy shit ME can inspire I hope the writers feel proud that they have provoked a recurring, civilised debate about ethics with their shooty space game.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    put Mr. Thax in charge of the Krogan

Weaver on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope ME3 has some way to get the krogan or krogans in your squad some Battlemaster armor

that gear was pretty neat

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hopefully Uvenk's use of the armor hasn't added a sheen of lameness to it.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    smof wrote: »
    I love this whole discussion, and how hard it is to feel good about any of the options (unless you're a krogan hater, I guess). Despite all the weird creepy shit ME can inspire I hope the writers feel proud that they have provoked a recurring, civilised debate about ethics with their shooty space game.

I've actually been thinking of the ethics of the Genophage all afternoon because of this discussion

it's really really balanced on either side and it's genuinly difficult to say one side was right and one was wrong and that's

I mean that's very unusual in videogames where the decision trees are more like
    529821327_jamek-L-2.jpg

#pipe on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hahaha

I love that comic

but yeah the Genophage was something that was wasn't full Paragon on. I wasn't all like "fuck yeah burn the Krogunz" but I did say to Mordin that I accepted his reasoning and I think he made the right choice. I mean he did rationally state that it was either the genophage or genocide, and the latter is clearly more ethically horrible. The Genophage was not nice, but it was the best option. As Mordin says, the Salarians were dumb to uplift them in the first place.

Now as for the geth, yeah i sympathise with them. Dumb Quarians. Admiral Quib Quib was painted as some sort of simpering pansy, but as far as I was concerned he was the only admiral who wasn't a fucking retard. What was it he said? "Of course the drove us away, we tried to kill them."

Solar on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ethically problematic, certainly.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And after you do Tali's loyalty you get the email from some admiral who's like "I found the data and you humans will be sorry when we beat your ass with our new synthetic army"

and I'm like

sins
    of
    the
    father

#pipe on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also yes

yes try that bitch

you will not with laughing when I crush you with the aid of the old synthetic army

Solar on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It seems to me that the context of Legion's mission changes when faced with Tali's.
    Brainwashing a sentient being, regardless of its chemical composition, is little fucked up. On the other hand, killing the heretics still seems like a waste of life. When the Quarians mention retaking the homeworld by force, a strengthened Geth presence would deflect, hopefully discourage such a suicidal attack, as well as provide more strength against the Reaper threat.

I enjoy trying to work my head around Gethics, either way.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.