As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic Jack - anyone use it?

BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
Anybody out there use/used this Magic Jack stuff? We have cell phones for actual phone use, but could use a MagicJack line for like a 'home phone' we use on all the crap that wants a phone number but we don't want to give a cell number too.

* it seems search is broke, I didn't see any threads in a quick visual scan

Bigity on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bigity wrote: »
    Anybody out there use/used this Magic Jack stuff? We have cell phones for actual phone use, but could use a MagicJack line for like a 'home phone' we use on all the crap that wants a phone number but we don't want to give a cell number too.

* it seems search is broke, I didn't see any threads in a quick visual scan

Search is intentionally disabled and has been for a couple of weeks, there is a thread about in the bug reports forum

Gaslight on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't have any first hand experience with it, but I believe it's a pretty generic VOIP device. Meaning it may suit your uses, but you may also want to look at other similar products and compare price/features. Checking with your ISP to see what they offer, as well as things like a Skype Premium account may in fact serve you better.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah gotcha. Missed that one I guess. Thanks for the heads up

Bigity on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I work for a cable company that does VoIP, and MagicJack is a simple version of VoIP, but without the prioritization of voice packets. If, for example the UBR you're connected to is saturated or has hit a predetermined level of utilization you'd notice that your voice quality would go down. A few missed packets on data results in retries and doesn't really matter, but missed packets for voice are very noticeable.

Also outbound/inbound problems are hard to troubleshoot because there's literally no one to call when people complain. They have to route their data in the most cost-effective way, and lots of times that means using no-name carriers or riding their equipment at low-priority (before after it hits the destination).

But when it works, it works fine I guess. Definitely worth a shot at $20 especially if it isn't going to be used for real reals.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Basically it depends on the quality of your ISP.

If you do Skype there are adapters and even house phones that run Skype without a PC.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It works but is a huge resource hog

I've never owned it but my in-laws had it for a while, and ended up dropping it because it rendered their laptop relatively useless

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh and if you live in a more densely populated area, it won't be at the UBR, it'll be at a neighborhood level which means more of a chance to have your packets "managed".

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    alternatively you could simply buy the cheapest POS pre-paid or pay-as-you-go cellphone possible. This approach should only cost you like $30 in total, cheaper if you can find the phone on craigslist/kijiji.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    a slightly more expensive upfront cost solution like http://www.ooma.com/ would get you the higher-quality voice and some extra features, and can work with most phones.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't have it, but 2 coworkers do (we all work virtual from home offices) and having a conversation with them ranges from barely tolerable (no delay, but tinny/echo) to completely useless (2-3 second delay, plus the sound quality issues)

So depending on what you need it for, it could work for you. If you are trying conduct business on them, please splurge for vonage.

tachyon on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    alternatively you could simply buy the cheapest POS pre-paid or pay-as-you-go cellphone possible. This approach should only cost you like $30 in total, cheaper if you can find the phone on craigslist/kijiji.

Prepay phones need to be recharged both when minutes are used and when time has passed (eg 30 days).

A Google Voice number is free, and you can essentially set it up as a voice mailbox if you don't want to forward it to your phones.

TL DR on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tachyon wrote: »
    I don't have it, but 2 coworkers do (we all work virtual from home offices) and having a conversation with them ranges from barely tolerable (no delay, but tinny/echo) to completely useless (2-3 second delay, plus the sound quality issues)

So depending on what you need it for, it could work for you. If you are trying conduct business on them, please splurge for vonage.

Just popping in to say that I don't recommend signing up for Vonage; they make it extremely painful to cancel their service if and when you decide to.

Having to call their retention center so that they can spend half an hour giving you the run-around or outright hanging up on you if they've lost to many customers already on their shift is unpleasant, to say the least.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Prepay phones need to be recharged both when minutes are used and when time has passed (eg 30 days).

A Google Voice number is free, and you can essentially set it up as a voice mailbox if you don't want to forward it to your phones.

Some of the phones are 90 days and I think there is an AT&T variant that is year long if you buy $50 of time or something.

I think this may just be the best solution, since it is simple, and easier to troubleshoot.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stay away from MagicJack, a Lawsuit was thrown out of court when it was proven that MagicJack had "No hope, nor want of winning the suit." The lawsuit was against BoingBoing digging through the EULA, pointing out that it won't allow you to take MJ to court, except in arbitration via Palm Beach FL. Oh, and they spy on the numbers you call.

Also, the TOS that you won't find linked on their main page.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn